"What are you playing" thread

• 3 weeks later...

Still pushing myself through FF7. But it's all worth it...

attachicon.gif2013-08-03_00005.jpg

... for that ass which even Cloud cannot ignore.

Actually running an emulated PS1 version gives better aliasing results, just saying.

I personally play PoE these days mostly because I dont have time to invest myself into time consuming games http://www.pathofexile.com/

Old FF games are always worth it... Did a 7 playthrough a few months ago, gotta get through 6 (dropped it halfway) and start 9. Why did I miss out when they first came out?  :(

Oh and just finished Dragon quest 8, looks better on an emulator than on the ps2.

This is my first time playing 7 in, oh... at least five years. Only reason I'm even doing it is a combination of mods and wanting to see just how different the script is, since they did change things for the PC release back in 98.

But so far 7 is still as dull and poorly written as I remember it.

Also playing Postal 2, Dungeon Siege 2 and System Shock 2. DS2 is the only one that I'm actually really enjoying, though.

Am I the only one who feels that FFVII isn't as great as people say it is, and the whole business of making a serious rerelease for PC a bad joke, what with the game's content having been outdated when it was released (being about fifteen years since its original release)? I by no means am someone who looks to graphics to determine a game's quality, but if nothing worthwhile is added, why bother? FFVII was already released on PC, and if you take a hour at most, you get better quality sound, characters, and gameplay all on a modern system.

It's the same with Halo: Combat Evolved and it's Anniversary Edition. Yes, the graphics were nice, and yes it brought a beloved game into a modern look, but for the love of the Konami Code, Halo is Microsoft's money cow. Every system has been built around supporting the game and making sure the series lives on. If people really wanted to replay the original Halo, without the improved combat that the last decade has been spent on improving, why not just pop in the original game disc or download it from XBLA? If Halo:AE had at least included the dual wielding and a few other fixes, then it'd be worth paying money for a remastered copy. I'm not trying to start a war here, but I feel as if it needs to be brought to attention. Sorry for the rant.

As for what I'm playing, I'm currently working my way through Doom 3 BFG Edition, Hitman Absolution, and Tomb Raider on PC. On wii, I'm replaying No More Heroes and I'm trying to get the perfect time to try Project Zero 2 (also known as Fatal Frame 2)

Ramble alert;

The only thing 7 did was bring more people to the JRPG table... for whatever good or bad that did.

The game itself isn't worth all the hype and praise people throw at it; claiming it to be the best game ever while ignoring everything else 16 years after its release, or that which came before, comparing its poorly written and translated story to widely regarded literally master works (or claiming it to be better) and claiming that it has the greatest characters ever crafted. It's still a poorly written, generic JPRG that just so happened to come at the right time and gained a following because of its flashy commercials and advertising. The only people who hold it so high are those who started RPGs with it, or those who are so blinded by nostalgia that they cannot look at the game as a whole and realize that it's a generic JRPG with a corny story.

And I know this because I was one of those people. I was taken in by the hype and flash, I played and loved it, I swore up and down that Sephiroth was the coolest guy ever, Cloud was awesome because giant sword and the story was a master work that none could touch. Then I played games made before AND after, and came to realize that I was wrong. That in the grand scheme, this is just another generic JRPG with another generic story of beating the evil empire and then the real bad guy who is a generic world conqueror/destroyer.

It's a decent for its time JRPG, and it may have done good by getting JRPGs to be mainstream (that's a whole debate right there), but at the end of the day the game doesn't deserve the blind adoration from legions of fans that it gets, nor does it deserve to be anywhere near a "greatest games of all time" list.

Also, Postal 2 is kicking my ass. How the Hell is it even possible to do a pacifist run in this game? I mean, the whole Brewery level feels like it's impossible to run through without needing to kill rednecks, and Thursday is just... Meat World and getting Krotchy are all seemingly bluntly impossible without killing.

Guild Wars mostly.

Revisiting Age of Empires 2 and The Conquerers Expansion.

*Sigh* Oblivion/New Vegas still shelved due to my graphics card not being able to render lights and shadows. Oldlivion doesn't work with the HGEC Body-replacer (muddles up the textures making them look reddish) so I'm at a loss. :P

Guild Wars mostly.

Revisiting Age of Empires 2 and The Conquerers Expansion.

*Sigh* Oblivion/New Vegas still shelved due to my graphics card not being able to render lights and shadows. Oldlivion doesn't work with the HGEC Body-replacer (muddles up the textures making them look reddish) so I'm at a loss. :P

That's weird. I don't remember having the same issues with HGEC on my old laptop, using oldblivion. I might have segguested this before in some other thread, but in case I haven't, have you tried opening the console and toggling "tlb?" It toggles off all the lighting affects. Drastic move I know, but it made Oblivion playable for me on my old laptop. Always worth a try, if you're willing to make the sacrifice, hah.

Ah memories.

post-341-0-14835300-1375623004_thumb.jpgpost-341-0-49557000-1375623020_thumb.jpgpost-341-0-19643300-1375623045_thumb.jpgpost-341-0-00140800-1375623057_thumb.jpg

And to actually make an on-topic post. I picked up poker night 2 on steam the other day for 2.50. Not a bad little game, pretty amusing if your into that sort of thing. And Ash is a bastard who always has good cards, Brock is an asshole who almost never folds. XD

Also, Postal 2 is kicking my ass. How the Hell is it even possible to do a pacifist run in this game? I mean, the whole Brewery level feels like it's impossible to run through without needing to kill rednecks, and Thursday is just... Meat World and getting Krotchy are all seemingly bluntly impossible without killing.

Provided you paid for the milk on Monday like a good little anarchist, then you should be ahead of the game. My experience with going through peacefully ended when I got to the convenience store and the milk. When you get to Friday, tell Gary I said hi. And by hi, I mean shoot him in the face.

I decided to go back down memory lane and replay Chibi-Robo. Turns out the game was actually a lot darker themed that I originally realized.

I'm trying to get the perfect time to try Project Zero 2 (also known as Fatal Frame 2)

How is it? That's the only one I'm missing to complete the series.

Edit: It's really good. Scary even. Out of all the wonderful things to come from Japan, I'm most grateful for it's horror. With American horror, it's all about the monster, and with Swedish horror (a la Penumbra), the game is a bit too realistic to enjoy the horror. Project Zero 2, as with many Japanese survival horror games, has its monsters, but they're kept on a tight leash, dragging out encounters before the player actually sees anything. The original releases are on the first xbox and the PS2, but they rereleased it for wii for everywhere but North America (I'm using the PAL version of the wii release). The wii version actually makes good use of the controls, adding a bit of immersion to your scarefest. It's still in third person (unless it's unlocked later in game), so you never get the feeling as if you're actually there, but trust me when I sat that is no shortcoming.

I have to admit though, I'm one of those people who deflects horror with humor, so while I should've been scared shitless on my couch for the next few hours, the worst it got for me was when I paused to write this mini-review and found a big brown spider next to my head. In all seriousness, Project Zero 2 is dark, gritty, and eire, yet not overbearing. If I could learn to lock my lip in horror films and games, I'd probably have my mind broken into a thousand pieces by the end of the night.

Tecmo Scare-o-Meter: Paula Dean (Grade A)

I'm trying to get the perfect time to try Project Zero 2 (also known as Fatal Frame 2)

How is it? That's the only one I'm missing to complete the series.

Edit: It's really good. Scary even. Out of all the wonderful things to come from Japan, I'm most grateful for it's horror. With American horror, it's all about the monster, and with Swedish horror (a la Penumbra), the game is a bit too realistic to enjoy the horror. Project Zero 2, as with many Japanese survival horror games, has its monsters, but they're kept on a tight leash, dragging out encounters before the player actually sees anything. The original releases are on the first xbox and the PS2, but they rereleased it for wii for everywhere but North America (I'm using the PAL version of the wii release). The wii version actually makes good use of the controls, adding a bit of immersion to your scarefest. It's still in third person (unless it's unlocked later in game), so you never get the feeling as if you're actually there, but trust me when I sat that is no shortcoming.

I have to admit though, I'm one of those people who deflects horror with humor, so while I should've been scared shitless on my couch for the next few hours, the worst it got for me was when I paused to write this mini-review and found a big brown spider next to my head. In all seriousness, Project Zero 2 is dark, gritty, and eire, yet not overbearing. If I could learn to lock my lip in horror films and games, I'd probably have my mind broken into a thousand pieces by the end of the night.

Tecmo Scare-o-Meter: Paula Dean (Grade A)

Gonna get it later this week then. Thanks, awesome and hilarious review  :lol: . So, what happened to the spider?  :P

Depends on my mood. But I have Warriors Orochi Z, Dynasty Warriors 7, DA:O and DA:A, DA2, SoaSE:R and SoaSE:T, HoMaM 3,  HoMaM 5, M&MH 6, WC3: FT, TESIV, whole ME series with 95% of all DLCs, SW:FoC, King's Bounty: Armored Princess and Crossworlds. I WOULD also take DW8 and Warriors Orochi 3, but since the accursed Koei released it only for consoles, I can't. DAMMIT!!! And I also have only 30 GB out of 465, so I don't have where to put it.

A friend gave me a game from his selection to try out. Sacred 2. Only took 20 minutes to evaluate with an official rating of Craptastic, then uninstalled rather quickly. Now back to Borderlands 2 to erase the memory of that....thing....I comtaminated my system with.