LL painfully slow?

51 minutes ago, SmedleyDButler said:

Yep, slow for me as well.

If the admins need to restrict things like signatures or image file sizes, (the "show your character" thread is basically unloadable and has been for over a year, even during "good" times) or start asking for help to pay for a better host then they really need to go ahead and do that. With 7k users online, surely a few of us can chip in if need be.

Let's not forget the selfie waifu videos plastered in threads that just hog up longer page loads.

On 12/26/2020 at 10:38 AM, rubber_duck said:

Hello.

I'm in East EU and during the past few weeks now the LL site is painfully slow. I can still view forum threads as well as download mods (in fact, download speeds are normal!), but as a site to browse/post/comment it's on the verge of being unusable.

Does anyone know what's happening and/or do any of you experience the same issue?

My Internet speed isn't that great, but it's more than capable of playing 4K youtube video with no issues alongside downloading a game from Steam at 5-7 Mbps. Also worth mentioning is that I'm primarily running Firefox, although I've tried to access the site via other browsers (Edge, Chrome, Opera, Brave) and it's the same story so I doubt it's web browser's fault.

Take care!

I'm in Canada and I've been having the same problem. I thought it was my internet, so I tried it through my cell phone hot-spot...didn't make a difference. The load times are getting insane.

For the people who are willing and able to help out, look for the "Help Support Lovers Lab" link bottom right of the page.

LL uses Patreon, and while I do have some issues with Patreon, there are many content creators here on LL, as well as LL itself, who use it to help support their work.

I have a small automatic donation every month, as do about 400 other users.  If even 1 person in 5 of the 7000 online users chipped in (or better, all registered users), that would triple the support that Ashal would have to upgrade service.  For the amount of time I spend browsing the forums and downloading mods here, the little bit I give is well worth it.  I'd like to encourage more people to do the same.

1 hour ago, Turlaxe said:

so much for the earlier maintenance it didn't fix anything. time for a new server boys

Yeah, statements like that are not very informed.  You have no idea if it the server, or the software, or the network connection.  You do realize that most web "servers" are virtual right?  Instead of making such uninformed statements, maybe try to visit the Patreon and toss the site a few bucks.  I see a lot of complining, but not a lot of patreons.  This stuff does not run for free.

30 seconds to 1 minute loading time. it's deff the server. and your answer to fix it is to support patreons? worst idea ever mate!! it's bad enough with all the sims patreons conning people out of their money by selling simple skins and paintings and now they want us to give them $ to use their slow AF website too?!! ?

1 hour ago, Turlaxe said:

30 seconds to 1 minute loading time. it's deff the server. and your answer to fix it is to support patreons? worst idea ever mate!! it's bad enough with all the sims patreons conning people out of their money by selling simple skins and paintings and now they want us to give them $ to use their slow AF website too?!! ?

You don't have to donate if you don't want to, it's a choice. I would personally however prefer to get some closure whether donating would actually go towards a better, faster server, or if the problem lies elsewhere. It's possible that there's a simpler solution than "just buy a new server bro". 

37 minutes ago, asjflask said:

It isn't just this time of the year - I've been noticing it all year.  It's becoming a growing problem and it seems like the site isn't being well maintained anymore.  Maybe I'm wrong though.

I don't think you're wrong. I've been tracking it and I believe that LL is a victim of its own success. The number of people on site has been much higher than previously. It is this, I think, that has caused the issues we're all experiencing. That, of course, would be exacerbated by the seasonal effect that @myuhinny alluded to.

43 minutes ago, Psalam said:

I don't think you're wrong. I've been tracking it and I believe that LL is a victim of its own success. The number of people on site has been much higher than previously. It is this, I think, that has caused the issues we're all experiencing. That, of course, would be exacerbated by the seasonal effect that @myuhinny alluded to.

I dunno, it's sometimes slow, but this xmas holiday it was on another level. the Cloudfare (or whatever it's called) that popped up suggested to me (as to others) that it may have been a ddos attack - which given the content here, I find believable (content that I like, but still believable). I'm all for donating to assist - I asked about it earlier.  However I've never used Patreon for anything, and I don't feel informed about what's going on enough to take the plunge. I'm of two minds really.  No matter what, I'm sure a few bucks from many new donators - not just me - would go a long way toward helping the site.  But do I want to donate when the Admins are obviously around, but not informing us of the issue?

I've downloaded and lurked the forums for awhile now, $3/mo is like nothing to me, but if 100 of us do it - in addition to those that already do, it could mean everything to the stability and longevity of this site - which is here for US.

13 minutes ago, rb888 said:

Slow on my fiber home works internet 50/50! I guess they need SSD Servers? lol

See folks, it's just that easy.  You too can become a Mega Poster.  All you need to do is post nonapplicable nonsense twice in a row in every thread - take away any relevant talking points, discussion, generally make a nuisance of yourself, and contribute to the problem with images that no one wants to see or gives a shit about.