Skitskurr

Devious Arachnophobia

Devious Arachnophobia

View File

This is an expansion of Princessity's Arachnophobia mod. I know there already is one, but that didn't quite fit me, so I did my own. In this version the cocoon is not the only peril a spider puts you in. You will also be equipped with cobweb devices which you need to find your way out of.

Struggle yourself free:
While the cocoon has only a limited duration you can also try to struggle yourself out of it by using the W A S D keys. Holding the right key down will progress your escape, while holding the wrong key (or several at once) down will drain your stamina even faster. The required key will change in random time intervals. The bigger the spider the longer the cocoon lasts by default and the harder it is to struggle out of it.

This mod builds around stamina as a core mechanic, so engaging higher level spiders without investment into stamina is ill-advised.

Cobweb devices:

While in a cocoon a the game will try to equip a device on you every five seconds. So the faster you get free the less devices will trouble you. "Try to equip a device" means the game will choose one of four equipment slots at random and if you do not already wear a device in that slot one will be equipped. Due to missing models devices will only be equipped to female actors and only to the player or her follower, so other NPCs don't get stuck indefinitely. You also have a chance to avoid a device equal to half your poison resistance. (it's only half so items like Hevnoraak don't trivialize this)

Requirements:
Devious Devices 5.0 and all of its requirements.
ZaZ Animation Pack.

Known incompatibilities:
-other versions of Arachnophobia

-mods that change the spit attacks of Frostbite Spiders

-Deviously Cursed Loot's Bondage Lover setting (Consequences -> Uncontrollable Lust -> Bondage Lover) will prevent the devices from being destroyed on unequipping them. This is not a game breaking issue, however.

Credits:

The DD Team for their awesome work.
Princessity for creating the original Arachnophobia mod.
Code Serpent for giving me the idea of the strugge mechanic with his Devious Lore mod.

lastbytescout for the bugfixes he released for my scripts.

Chesko for the Frostfall code that I have reused.

License:
This mod is published under the MIT license.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    07/05/2020
  • Category
  • Requires
    Devious Devices 5.0, ZaZ Animation Pack
  • Special Edition Compatible

Is there an MCM to control certain aspects?  Part of me wants this mod just to tie up in a cocoon.  But at the same time certain devious devices are extremely annoying when equipped, like the ones that make you drop keys when trying to unlock them.  So for most devious mods I prefer to just equip them myself.

Just to let you know, but DCL's Bondage Lover feature does NOT prevent the destruction of devices by script (e.g. by passing destroydevice = true) to RemoveDevice(). It prevents the player from dropping them manually ONLY.

1 minute ago, Kimy said:

Just to let you know, but DCL's Bondage Lover feature does NOT prevent the destruction of devices by script (e.g. by passing destroydevice = true) to RemoveDevice(). It prevents the player from dropping them manually ONLY.

I don't call any RemoveDevice() Function, all I do is set the devices to destroy on remove on the zadEquipScript so they get removed when the player struggles out of them. That for me resulted in the device being added back to my inventory and the message "I don't want to put this away" appearing.

CK screenshot:

Spoiler

dap_setting.PNG.855bb1ec6590b175a2a77b9a023f6739.PNG

16 minutes ago, Aki K said:

Is there an MCM to control certain aspects?  Part of me wants this mod just to tie up in a cocoon.  But at the same time certain devious devices are extremely annoying when equipped, like the ones that make you drop keys when trying to unlock them.  So for most devious mods I prefer to just equip them myself.

I did not yet look into how to do an MCM menu, but will for future versions. If you only want the cocoon you can use the original mod by Princessity. It is marked as obsolete but it still works. The devices are basically just recolored rope devices from DDx.

31 minutes ago, Skitskurr said:

I did not yet look into how to do an MCM menu, but will for future versions. If you only want the cocoon you can use the original mod by Princessity. It is marked as obsolete but it still works. The devices are basically just recolored rope devices from DDx.

I will probably just keep track of this mod.  If/when you implement MCMs.  I like the overall concept.  I just want to have a bit more control.

7 hours ago, Skitskurr said:

I don't call any RemoveDevice() Function, all I do is set the devices to destroy on remove on the zadEquipScript so they get removed when the player struggles out of them. That for me resulted in the device being added back to my inventory and the message "I don't want to put this away" appearing.

CK screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

That's not intended behavior. I will look into this! :)

Nice to see this picked up again. Liking the route of the "web" rope. 

Do you have an escape quest planned? Would be cool to have some kind of consequence for failure if you don't escape within a certain time. It could even branch out into something linked to the parasite mod.

19 minutes ago, naaitsab said:

Nice to see this picked up again. Liking the route of the "web" rope. 

Do you have an escape quest planned? Would be cool to have some kind of consequence for failure if you don't escape within a certain time. It could even branch out into something linked to the parasite mod.

I didn't really plan much further than this, yet. I might look into an escape quest once I figured out how quests work in general. But one of the things that bothered me about the other arachnophobia expension is to keep ending up in a cave at the end of nowhere everytime you didn't dodge the spit attack. So not sure how to go about that.

9 hours ago, Skitskurr said:

I didn't really plan much further than this, yet. I might look into an escape quest once I figured out how quests work in general. But one of the things that bothered me about the other arachnophobia expension is to keep ending up in a cave at the end of nowhere everytime you didn't dodge the spit attack. So not sure how to go about that.

I'm not sure how much of those "large rooms that spawn large spiders from the ceiling" there are ingame but not very much I think.

You could make it like that you only get the quest if you get caught by a large spider in one of those rooms, and have a x percentage chance of starting it.

You could make a dynamic scene and select a placed Xmarker that is nearest to you to place it around. Seems quite daunting but using aliases and the current cell is not that hard.

Spiders don't migrate so the get caught -> get teleported across the map is a bit daft I agree :P

On 7/5/2020 at 3:41 PM, Skitskurr said:

My suggestion if you are going to do something like that is create several cells with different layouts that the player would get teleported to when captured.  We would roleplay that these cells are near where the player was captured.  Upon escape the player could be returned to their last location.

In my setup this mod crashed when loading a game. I used Tes5edit to check for error and it says there are 3 unknown properties for the web attack script. I tried to remove them and it seems to work after I also removed these lines from the script

GlobalVariable Property mslZaZAPDelayInit  Auto
GlobalVariable Property mslZaZAPDelayUpdate  Auto
GlobalVariable Property mslZaZAPDifficulty  Auto

These values dont seem to be used at all. Are these lines there on puropse? Otherwise the mod seems to be working pretty good.

4 minutes ago, BSL24 said:

In my setup this mod crashed when loading a game. I used Tes5edit to check for error and it says there are 3 unknown properties for the web attack script. I tried to remove them and it seems to work after I also removed these lines from the script

GlobalVariable Property mslZaZAPDelayInit  Auto
GlobalVariable Property mslZaZAPDelayUpdate  Auto
GlobalVariable Property mslZaZAPDifficulty  Auto

These values dont seem to be used at all. Are these lines there on puropse? Otherwise the mod seems to be working pretty good.

These were used in the original mod by Princessity, but since I have reworked the struggle system they're obsolete now. I've already removed them while working on an MCM, so this error shouldn't come up again in future versions.

10 minutes ago, Maddac said:

did you look at the Arachnophobia expansion mod by Kayzn which has made princessity mod obsolete? and does this require the original mod or is it standalone?

I did, yes. But as the second sentence of my description says that one didn't quite fit me (especially the part where you have to fight a big ass spider without any gear). This mod is a standalone (well, sort of that is, you still need DDx and the ZaZ Animation Pack).

There's an artist on diviantart, Ghrolath4, who was trying to revamp arachnophobia like 2 years ago.  He was working on assets, but couldn't find scripting help to put them into a functioning mod.  Not sure If he/she is still interested, but if you'd like someone to make assets that look like web and not just white rope, doesn't hurt to ask them

Right, checked my "Bondage Lover" code. Apart from me jumping through a lot of hoops fixing this, you can just slap the "zad_BlockGeneric" keyword on your custom items. This will prevent my code from "saving" your items from deletion, and in your case, is appropriate for these items anyway.

9 hours ago, kaldwin said:

There's an artist on diviantart, Ghrolath4, who was trying to revamp arachnophobia like 2 years ago.  He was working on assets, but couldn't find scripting help to put them into a functioning mod.  Not sure If he/she is still interested, but if you'd like someone to make assets that look like web and not just white rope, doesn't hurt to ask them

He is.  I asked him about it a few months ago.  He was working on a replacement for the cocoon.

1 hour ago, Kimy said:

you can just slap the "zad_BlockGeneric" keyword on your custom items. This will prevent my code from "saving" your items from deletion, and in your case, is appropriate for these items anyway.

I didn't add that tag because the web devices aren't that hard to struggle out of so I didn't want them to be in the way of other events. But I guess if it serves compatibility I better build it in.

I've got a suggestion for you as you play around with struggle difficulty.  In the way regular restraints have restraint keys, give web restraints a web dissolver "key" to "unlock" them.  Just make a unique key that unlocks web restraints, and re-skin it to look like a potion bottle.  For the crafting recipe, maybe make frostbite spider venom one of the ingredients (which is relatively scarce) so you can't stockpile them

56 minutes ago, kaldwin said:

I've got a suggestion for you as you play around with struggle difficulty.  In the way regular restraints have restraint keys, give web restraints a web dissolver "key" to "unlock" them.  Just make a unique key that unlocks web restraints, and re-skin it to look like a potion bottle.  For the crafting recipe, maybe make frostbite spider venom one of the ingredients (which is relatively scarce) so you can't stockpile them

Currently they don't require a key at all but instead just have a chance to fail when you try to unlock them. As certain dungeons have a chance to wrap you up rather frequently the devices shouldn't be too hard to remove. Maybe I'll add harder versions of restraints for bigger spiders, so the idea is not fully off the table.

3 hours ago, Skitskurr said:

"As certain dungeons have a chance to wrap you up rather frequently"

That's part of the fun😁.  Honestly though, I'm just happy that someone's giving arachnophobia some attention again