Covid19

rane2364

4 minutes ago, worik said:

Be happy. It's still in the ramp up phase in your area. "Only" 2x in a whole week.

:mask: #stayhome

Our PM has just tested positive - probably the first test he has ever passed. Apparently he is now self-isolating in No. 10. (Along with his battalion of flunkies and other staff?).

2 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Our PM has just tested positive

Do not worry :classic_happy: He'll be fine and healthy and won't be in any deeper personal trouble. He'll get good care.

Spoiler

You might call it

Spoiler

Premium NHS or NHS+

350millions per week can buy a looooot of NHS.

You all will be fine.

33 minutes ago, Alkpaz said:
Spoiler

COVID.jpg.ecb98fefe7b63d25a561d5b4733dc07d.jpg

"Here’s their math: Symptoms of the respiratory illness develop on an average of five days after infection. During those five days, called the incubation period, the virus can spread. If the rate of spread is the same for those with and without symptoms, then one infected person transmits the virus to 2.5 other people on average, and those 2.5 people each transmit to 2.5 more people, and so on. Within 30 days, 406 people would be infected.

Social distancing that reduces interaction by 50% would halve the chances of spreading the virus, so one person would only infect 1.25 other people on average, and there would only be 15 infected people in 30 days, Signer calculated.

But if people stay home and transmission is cut by 75% — so that an infected person spreads the disease to less than one other person on average — new infections will eventually subside and stop. That’s what has happened in Wuhan, where the 50-day lockdown is now being eased."

:classic_wink:

New Corona study: Without countermeasures, there could have been 40 million deaths

Top news (10:58): Without countermeasures, the Coronavirus pandemic according to Imperial College in London could have killed up to 40 million people worldwide this year. This emerges from a study published on Thursday evening. The researchers ran through several scenarios in a mathematical model. In the worst case, seven billion people, almost all of humanity, would have been infected with the pathogen Sars-CoV-2 within this year.

For this reason, researchers worldwide call for early measures to suppress the pandemic, as have already been taken in many countries. This is the only way to prevent the health systems from being overwhelmed. "Rapid, decisive, and collective action from all countries is needed to limit the impact of this pandemic," said Professor Azra Ghani, one of the study's authors. Tests, the isolation of infected people and social distance are crucial.

sorry german

https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/news/coronavirus-news-nrw-droht-kollaps-vereinzelte-angriffe-auf-deutsche-im-ausland_id_11576018.html

19 minutes ago, winny257 said:

Top news

An plane might have fallen from the sky and landed on my head.

21 minutes ago, winny257 said:

"Rapid, decisive, and collective action from all countries is needed to limit the impact of this pandemic," said Professor Azra Ghani

Head of Stating the Obvious. He also add that more funding is needed.

All these talking heads and rent-a-quote fuckwits should be hung. Grey Cloud's Iron Law: Whatever an expert says, immediately assume the opposite. That's worked for over 40 years.

7 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

the world ending just fucked me up.

Dude, seriously stop saying that! Most people are having a very mild reaction to this. It caught us by surprise is why the numbers are fucked. We WILL get through this!!! Get away from your tv or computer, turn on some music, and go clean your apartment or work on a project to get your mind off of things. Better yet, maybe we should be thinking of ways to help people.

In my country the capital and surrounding area are going to be quarantined today.

Many other restrictions are in place, such that have not been used since our wars against USSR. When the existence of the nation was at risk.

Nearly 1000 people died in Italy alone today.

Spain has to stop giving ICU treatment to 60 year olds due to the number of young patients.

Satellite images have revealed mass graves in Iran.

Most western countries have not yet hit the worst of it.

Even after this virus is contained, recovery for the world will take years. Financially and otherwise.

I'd say this is as close as any of us is going to see in our lifetimes.

Yeah, comparisons to The Walking Dead or other apocalypse scenarios really are cringey.

Otoh I believe what these overworked and stressed out nurses and doctors say, this is bad and will get much worse soon. Tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands will die, mostly because ICUs can't handle all the cases if it keeps spreading like that.

Which is nowhere close to being the end of the world though, it will just get ugly and noone should be surprised if it kills someone they know.

The worst thing is that this could have been prevented (either contained or the spread could have been slowed down), but power hungry bureaucrats in China wasted valuable time trying to save face and in the west there are too many morons who distrust scientists and believe that the natural world with all its dangers gives two fucks about their edgy smartass opinion. It doesn't though.

Well, to be fair, the Chinese probably didn't know what to make of it at first, either. Only when the virus spread they took action by hushing it down, but even then that was too late already. We probably wouldn't alarm the world of a disease with symptoms close to lung infection on a whim. But by the time we knew what it was, of course, things might've worked out differently from there.

I agree however, that this is probably going to be much worse before it gets better. Simply from the point of view that we're talking about ~50 grand infections by official numbers (where I live). The dark numbers will be much higher, approximately up to *10. So how long will this stuff take if you quarantine 90 million people in my country alone? 2 Years? Right... and even then, people will die, even if there's a vaccine in the meantime. Might be coming, might not be there by then. Won't make assumptions over this.

First hospitals are erecting medical tents for the infected over here. Mostly in preparation for what's to come.

This virus worries me- I don't want to get it. I went through pneumonia as a kid, a bad strain of it, and it was awful.

I've heard from other sources that the relatively young are getting very sick from it. But it's not mentioned if they are smokers, have common vitamin deficiencies, don't drink enough water like most people- these problems break down the protective lining of your lungs. So we really don't know.

But the best thing to do is to be pro-active. Take your vitamins, especially C, D, and A- A helps the lining of your lungs be strong and resilient so the little fuckers can't burrow their way into your cells. Drink LOTS of water- your lungs require the full daily requirement of  water to properly function and be resilient.  Apples and tomatoes are said to be good for your lungs. Try to relax a much as you can. Get as much rest as you can. 

If you have to go out- like I do to my job- a medically essential place, don't touch your face until you have thoroughly washed your hands. Wash your hands as much as possible- be mindful that there are some sick assholes who are deliberately trying to spread the virus by spitting on things like elevator buttons and merchandise, including food, in the stores.

If you believe in prayer, now is a good time. Or project those positive thoughts of love or whatever floats your boat. It can't hurt.

But one thing I am grateful for, this isn't ebola. The entire world and humanity would be royally fucked if it were. Ebola would make the black plague look like a picnic.  It's tragic and it sucks that we have lost lives to this virus, but it could have been a lot worst.

Some good news in case anyone is interested- https://www.cnet.com/news/coronavirus-chronicles-heres-some-good-news-amid-the-dire-reports/

"A 103-year-old Chinese woman is reported to have recovered, due to the fact she had no other major underlying health conditions."- I think I'm as healthy as a 103 yr old woman despite the fact that I smoke, lol.

" Researchers at Johns Hopkins are working on a coronavirus screening test that checks nasal swabs and could analyze hundreds of people in a day. The test results come back in 24 hours, which they're hoping to shorten to a few hours."- the faster we can identify who is sick and isolate them, the faster we can stop the spread.

1 hour ago, Tyrant99 said:

There's a reason why the average lifespan pre-1800 was 30-40.

You have to be careful with figures like that and understand how they are arrived at. It's infant mortality which brings the average down not adults dying young.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

the faster we can identify who is sick and isolate them, the faster we can stop the spread.

Well yes and no. Great if you have the facilities to isolate them and if those who test negative don't catch it on the way home from the test. You cannot, in practical terms 'stop' the spread, only slow it down.

6 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

I would post a Tim Pool vid in here, but, honestly he keeps scaring the crap out of me. 

Tim is pretty on the level most times.  The thing to remember there are consequences to your actions.  In hindsight New York should have shut down all non-essential business, schools and so on in February.  This would have flattened out their infection rate and avoided what is going on now.  Not blaming them, who has a working crystal ball after all?  Major cities are going to see a hit, but if they do the shutdown before the cases skyrocket instead of after, then they should come out just fine.  Rural areas are probably not going to be much affected at all.

As to recovery, the economy will recover.  It will be an explosive recovery and will be fun to watch as long as law makers get out of the way, capitalism and the markets will come roaring back.  Sure, some folks are going to have lost quite a bit, no different than a fire, flood or other natural disaster.  It sucks!  My 401k all but disappeared with the 2008 shenanigans.  But it came back, mostly.  Life is just as much about the downs as the ups.  It has all happened before and will happen again.  When clouds roll in we don't panic that we will never see the sun again.  Take heart and enjoy the ride.  I'm still working, but I wouldn't mind being shut down for a bit.  I have games on steam I've never played and I could seriously use some extra naps.

2 hours ago, Daedric_Cat said:

This virus worries me- I don't want to get it. I went through pneumonia as a kid, a bad strain of it, and it was awful.

I've heard from other sources that the relatively young are getting very sick from it. But it's not mentioned if they are smokers, have common vitamin deficiencies, don't drink enough water like most people- these problems break down the protective lining of your lungs. So we really don't know.

But the best thing to do is to be pro-active. Take your vitamins, especially C, D, and A- A helps the lining of your lungs be strong and resilient so the little fuckers can't burrow their way into your cells. Drink LOTS of water- your lungs require the full daily requirement of  water to properly function and be resilient.  Apples and tomatoes are said to be good for your lungs. Try to relax a much as you can. Get as much rest as you can. 

If you have to go out- like I do to my job- a medically essential place, don't touch your face until you have thoroughly washed your hands. Wash your hands as much as possible- be mindful that there are some sick assholes who are deliberately trying to spread the virus by spitting on things like elevator buttons and merchandise, including food, in the stores.

If you believe in prayer, now is a good time. Or project those positive thoughts of love or whatever floats your boat. It can't hurt.

But one thing I am grateful for, this isn't ebola. The entire world and humanity would be royally fucked if it were. Ebola would make the black plague look like a picnic.  It's tragic and it sucks that we have lost lives to this virus, but it could have been a lot worst.

Oh noes people am died of mexican beer virus, meanwhile 7 million people died in africa from resurgent childhood stuff like rubella and measles and in the same area of ebola resurgence that they are finally getting under control over the last three years, just in time for this to happen, but since it's poor black people that are generally religious and socially conservative, you're not hearing about it at all.

Speaking of millions, the NSA noted that between december and now 20 million cel phones in China are no longer active, and haven't been since.

New York

The thing about cities is they are 100% magnification of anything like this, and always have been. The media is also using LA and NY as the metrics of contagion, behavior and protocol, and the simple fact is while cities are necessary for macro-commerce and over-distribution and for political governance , they aren't necessary for anything else, and never have been; just like speculative finance, sure it makes all the sweet cha-ching noise over and over, but when it comes to human survival it's literally superfluous fabrication and there is literally no rule in nature that says it's necessary for anything.

Ant colonies move all the time and so do Bee hives, and humans thinking they're above that shit is pure sentimentality, and here's a big ass reminder of that.

14 minutes ago, 27X said:

Oh noes people am died of mexican beer virus, meanwhile 7 million people died in africa from resurgent childhood stuff like rubella and measles and in the same area of ebola resurgence that they are finally getting under control over the last three years, just in time for this to happen, but since it's poor black people that are generally religious and socially conservative, you're not hearing about it at all.

Sadly, can't seem to find much about it. Styxhexenhammer666 seems to be the only source in popular media who even follows it and his last video on ebola six months ago says it's getting worst. If you have better more up to date sources, please share. 

9 hours ago, gregathit said:

I have games on steam I've never played and I could seriously use some extra naps.

Yeah, tried that this week because as it turns out 'home office' doesn't work that well in my case so I had a lot of time to waste.

Alas it seems I'm not much of a gamer anymore.

Tried playing Divinity Original Sin but gave up after Cyseal. Too much micromanaging and too little patience on my part.

I have a feeling that all these tactical roleplaying games that I loved so much back when I was younger don't do shit for me anymore.

As soon as I understand the gameplay loop I'm done, because what can I really achieve there?

Maybe if the game has a very engaging story or immersive setting it might still pull me in but these experiences are few and far between.

Hopefully everyone can take time to go to the gas station and fill their cars and gas jugs up. I haven't seen gas at $1.69 for years. Plus now that it's spring, folks will be cutting grass soon (since being quarantined doesn't mean you can skip out on house chores).

Archived