Do you read the mod descriptions?

---nikoli

I'm just curious as to how many people ACTUALLY read the mod authors mod descriptions or do they just look at the pretty pictures when deciding to download a mod.

The reason I ask, is that I've uploaded several mods both here and on the Nexus, and invariably I get asked about something that I have already stated. I usually delete them when I find them, not bothering to even respond, but it gets annoying.

3 hours ago, nikoli grimm said:

I'm just curious as to how many people ACTUALLY read the mod authors mod descriptions or do they just look at the pretty pictures when deciding to download a mod.

The reason I ask, is that I've uploaded several mods both here and on the Nexus, and invariably I get asked about something that I have already stated. I usually delete them when I find them, not bothering to even respond, but it gets annoying.

Yep, it's because people are dumb as fuck and that's not even an opinion that's fact. You see it clearly everyday, for example people still die cause they take cabled stuff in the bathtub. In the past, if you were dumb you didn't had a chance to survive so you couldn't spread your genes, nowadays even the last retard survives and produces 3 times more children than normal people. Very unstatisfying prognosis for the feature of mankind.

In times of Donald Trump, "felt truth" and "alternative facts" there is not much you can do against it. People will be like "but for me it works" and then it is like it is. Even if they are wrong.

Don't worry about such humans, save your energy for those who deserve it.

I always thought I have a fast reading technics, only to find out that I only have slow in game testing technics.

Means I have to read the more complex ones a second time after seeing ingame that I might have missed something important.

After installing so many mods it's becoming routine => causes errors of overconfidence ^^

Some stuff I only understand after trying it out.

Mostly I search for information what the mod should do ingame, so I can evaluate if it's a bug or a feature.

Best description give a quick overview

> what the mod does, with screenshots, best from the MCMs

> requirements, soft-requirements

> warnings about mod oddities

> maybe LO recommendations

> maybe conflicts

> SE/LE?

> synergies

I guess writing a description for a complex mod is mostly just annoying after releasing a working mod.

Some descriptions are so chaotic, there is no wonder that ppl ask for information that is hidden in a colorful and not intuitive formatted mess of a text.

Or they just hide information so you can have fun with users that run against a wall.

I'm sure there are dump users (no not true, I see them a lot, they mostly come out at night,mostly), but there are arrogant pricks of mod authors too, as I can see in one of the comments here.

Still, it scares me too that ppl vote for Trump, he might win again? xD

The higher the complexity of the mod the better the description has to be, unless the author has fun answering questions again and again.

Known issues and patches could be added there too, to prevent repeating questions.

I have written two blogs on this site and both emphasize the importance of reading the mod's description. I have been drawn to mods by an interesting title or "pretty pictures" only to not bother with it when I read what the mod REALLY did.

Anyway, speaking of my blogs and reading the mod's description, let me share this section of my blog post "Posting" found on my Navigating LL blog:

C.Parody

When I first spoke with my friends Donttouchmethere and Worik about doing this blog they were very supportive. However, when I asked for specific suggestions of what to post their humorous side won out. What follows here are the suggestions that they gave me (somewhat edited, primarily for clarity). These are NOT meant to be taken seriously. In fact, these are all things that we have seen on this site and made us cringe or laugh out loud. It is in hope that some of you may join in the laughter that I have chosen to add them here.

• be sure to jerk CPU's chain
  • click the green button to download and the gray one to mock the mod's author
  • mod requirements can be ignored, they are just there to make the mod author look good
  • if possible, attack everyone by religion or national origin, that way you can get enough attention to ask a stupid question
  • if a mod author is friendly enough to create a modification just for you, please call him names and shit on his topic, they need that
  • please don't write a wall of text when you have an issue, a single line will be enough like:
    • "this mod sucks", or the famous
    • "this mod doesn't work". Good examples of useful bug reports can be found on every Nexus mod and topic
  • if something doesn't work it's your own fault
  • if it's still not working then it's overmodded, see above
  • to avoid certain notorious posters never stay in a single topic for too long
  • it's always a good idea to completely ignore what people suggest in Tech Support
  • NEVER, EVER give feedback in Tech Support if a posted solution worked
  • give "likes" only to screenshots of busty elves in bikini armor, NEVER EVER waste them on the mod authors that made those shots possible in the first place
  • if you know more than others always start a conversation with, "you are all stupid, I'm the only one who knows his way around." and end it with "hope you guys learned something for the future, you stupid fucks."
  • NEVER, EVER read what the mod actually does in game, instead start a Tech Support topic about strange things that happen in your game like your PC being raped or bound
  • If you are wrong NEVER, EVER correct yourself. In fact, do the opposite and repeat that shit over and over again until every noob thinks you're right.
  • steal everything and upload it on LL again

• never be friendly to a fellow mod author. They can't do shit  and should be happy enough that you asked for modding advice or used their files in your mod.

• use LL to promote your Patreon account

• make mod instructions as confusing as possible so you can get asked the same question over and over again

• give your mod a strange name so that people have to download it to find out what works and what doesn't

• as a mod author always talk badly about your fellow mod authors unless users do the same and then tell them "to be nice"

• do a DDoS attack regularly to help Ashal test the defenses

• make spam accounts and call everyone a pedophile

• hide patches and download links in topics where they will never be found again

• NEVER, EVER read topics before installing a mod, it's always better to ignore the obvious and just ask.

• NEVER, EVER read the last post on a Support Thread, it might be the answer to your question and how lame would that be

• if you ask for help in Tech Support, don't, just don't, give useful information about your setup. It's more fun if those helpful idiots have to guess

• don't mess with Kimy - she bites

• if no one can install your mod after reading your instructions tell them that only real modders can install stuff

• if someone annoys you call them whiny

• if you're testing something and you found out it didn't work NEVER, EVER report it

• NEVER, EVER write something nice about a mod. However, if you find that you must do so then make sure to write something bad shortly thereafter

• following topics about the mods you have installed is for noobs. Real modders ask already answered questions over again.

• if you don't understand something just say, "it doesn't work"

• users that give feedback about bugs just don't know how to mod their game. If you are a mod author just ignore them or tell them another mod is the cause

• get angry about a mod's core function. For example, if it's a bondage mod please tell the mod author that there is too much bondage in it. He or she will understand.

• Remember: if it doesn't work for you, it cannot work for anyone else!

I hope that this blog post has been useful to you and, maybe, given you a little chuckle.

2 minutes ago, Alkpaz said:

You forgot to donate to people who review mods and not the creators of the mods themselves, because a Youtuber is more creative than a mod maker and they deserve it more than some guy scripting/texturing/animations/etc.

Me? I prefer to download anything without even reading the title of the mod itself. Then I spend about 5hrs in xEdit figuring out what the mod actually does. It's more efficient to do it that way, plus it is like opening a box of chocolates. 

That would be a really good addition! Where were you when I was writing it! :wink:

Yes, back when I was modding 99% of problems arose from people not reading them and not understanding what my mods were supposed to do or how to get 'em started.

The only thing more irritating than someone asking a question plainly stated in a description is someone saying "UR MOD BROK M'GAEM" fucking wanna set them on fire.
It's why I quit and just make mods for myself now. Groovtama-senpai's signature quote has always rung true, especially for Skyrim.

1 hour ago, Psalam said:

That would be a really good addition! Where were you when I was writing it! :wink:

Perhaps you could try putting that list into a regular forum post instead of a blog, to try to get people to add to it.  I have a couple of items that would belong there.

Spoiler
  • If a mod author asks for additional information about an issue you're reporting, don't give it to them.  They clearly don't know what they're doing.
  • Be sure to tell authors that you're not going to use their mod.  This is extremely helpful feedback.

Back on topic: I'm sure the people who don't read mod descriptions are a tiny minority, they're just more visible because they're asking stupid questions.  I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:28 AM, -please delete- said:

Yep, it's because people are dumb as fuck and that's not even an opinion that's fact. You see it clearly everyday, for example people still die cause they take cabled stuff in the bathtub. In the past, if you were dumb you didn't had a chance to survive so you couldn't spread your genes, nowadays even the last retard survives and produces 3 times more children than normal people. Very unstatisfying prognosis for the feature of mankind.

In times of Donald Trump, "felt truth" and "alternative facts" there is not much you can do against it. People will be like "but for me it works" and then it is like it is. Even if they are wrong.

Don't worry about such humans, save your energy for those who deserve it.

Menus are for the weak although when I was a kid I liked the Greek cafe at the end of my road because they put a picture of stuff on the wall just in case you didn't know what bacon and egg looked like. I think that cheese on toast is probably the best lunch time meal, although when I was younger I liked a pint of Guiness and a packet of crisps.

9 hours ago, -please delete- said:

I know that movie. Sadly it's like it's shown there.

Sure?

Because the only thing that I am sure about regarding that movie (which I like, it's funny af) is that everyone watching it thinks that they are at least as smart as the guy or the girl awaking from stasis.

Reminds me of the term Dunning-Kruger effect and how nobody that uses it would attribute it to themselves but always to the opposite side of an argument or to incompatible world views.

As for mod descriptions:

I write them but I still repeat the info there if needed. Not at great length of course, most of the time I just point them towards the description again.

My patience is basically limitless, because I expect most people to be clue- and helpless like lost puppies. And I like puppies, even though some are not properly potty trained.

On 9/18/2019 at 12:18 AM, nikoli grimm said:

I need to read them to decide if I want a mod or not. I might avoid spoilers marked as spoilers like "quest spoilers here".

What I am bad at is going back to re-read it later. I usually just read patch notes from them on, but I follow all the mod I have in my load order so I am usually up on what has been discussed on the topic. 

I always read mod descriptions.  It's the best way to tell if a mod is something I want.  It also helps to prevent me from embarrassing myself more than I already do. 

Modders who write good, clear descriptions are Heroes.  Smart ones too, because they can save themselves a lot of aggravation by answering questions up front.  Not that there won't always be That Guy who asks a question that was answered in the post immediately above. 

Just once, I'd love to see the kind of question like "I'm too lazy to read for my answer so I'll just ask here" answered with "Then I'm too lazy to answer your lazy question."

I'd like to add to Psalam's excellent parody list with my own tips for modders, offered in the same tongue-in cheek sense of good-natured humor.  I love modders and deeply appreciate the extraordinary amount of effort they put into mods that greatly enhance our gaming experience.

Tips For Mod Descriptions

• For your text, use every color of the rainbow, plus a few previously unknown to mankind.
  • Use at least 5 different text sizes.  Anything less and you're an amateur.

• Load the description with every acronym you can think of, the more obscure the better.  And get a few wrong.  Newcomers to the site should have to learn things the hard way, just like everyone else did.

• Screenshots should be dark enough that no useful details can be discerned.

• Alternatively, equip characters in your screenshots with amazing outfits and weapons from your private collection, items that do not come with the mod and which you're not willing to share.  But people might like to see your cool stuff.

• Under no circumstances should screenshots of MCM menus be provided.  People should have to install your mod to examine the menus in-game to learn that the mod doesn't do what they thought it did.

• Fill the first part of the mod description with instructions on upgrading from previous versions.  This should fill the entire visible screen before scrolling.

• Follow that with announcements of new features, and dire warnings about changed features. 

• Follow *that* with a long list of stuff you want to include in the mod.  Someday. 

• Make the user scroll down a lot to get to the part about your inspiration for creating the mod.

• Never get around to actually stating what the mod does.  Anyone who wants to know that can just read your change log. 

• If anyone asks about a feature that doesn't seem to work, chastise him for not reading said change log.  All of it.

• Plug your Patreon account.  Suggest that if you don't get enough patrons you'll stop working on the mod.

I read the Descriptions carefully. I also try to write mine to be as informative as possible. I just posted a new one this morning that requires SKSE64 and both SMP Physics dll's, and have stated that requirement on the Description as well as in the File Requirements at download. But I guarantee you there will be "the hair just looks all explody" posts from ppl who ignored it all.

Apparently if you follow a page you've started and someone links to your comment on a completely different page or subject you end up following that pages comments too... Whether you want to or not... NOT.

It appears I'm going to have to stop following stuff if I don't want my notifications to blow up with miscellaneous crap from other pages.

On 9/18/2019 at 5:18 AM, nikoli grimm said:

This is how it works for me:

Take a gander on the sites 

"Ooh Shiny" ?

Picture and title is what catches my eye (unless I am searching for fixes, utilities or patches)

Read what the mod is offering 

(minus points if the first thing I read is a money request)

big nope if the title or picture doesn't match what the mod is offering

Read how to install it and how complex it is

(spending a weekend fumbling around to let the mod work as intended, then coming back the next weekend and the game has updated, back to square 1... NOPE)

Read the incompatibilities with other mods

Some mods that enhance my gameplay experience are non negotiable and won't be kicked out of the load order no matter how interesting the mod is

Jump to the most recent comment section searching for the most common problems or issues the users have experienced and if/how they fixed it.

This helps with old and/or abandoned but working mods that just need a simple tweak to work along fine in a recent load order

Then download and install, and test-drive it on a new game (unless it's skyrim ? )

Cheers

Archived