Do you read the mod descriptions?

---nikoli

Why would someone not read the description? I've spent far too long stabilising my game for me to risk ruin it all with an irresponsible and uninformed mod install. I'd bet it's only the ones who are absolute noobs to modding their games that don't fully pay attention to the descriptions. That's the only way i can see someone skipping over a point as crucial as this.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:18 PM, nikoli grimm said:

I'm just curious as to how many people ACTUALLY read the mod authors mod descriptions or do they just look at the pretty pictures when deciding to download a mod.

The reason I ask, is that I've uploaded several mods both here and on the Nexus, and invariably I get asked about something that I have already stated. I usually delete them when I find them, not bothering to even respond, but it gets annoying.

I like a concise organized mod description if you are wondering. Easy to follow and get the info I desire. Keep the info as concise as possible. I usually do read the mod info at least most of it. If I run into problems I check again to be sure I didn't miss something.

Try to write down to the dumbest person your audience can or would likely have. I have written guides. Another thing I do is try to keep it using clear simple sentences without any jargon or if some are used it is common to the mod, game, or instructions found through the mod community of that game. This helps with those that aren't native English speakers.

Another consideration is to leave those questions up at least for some time, as someone might do a good deed and point out it is in the description ;) However, i am used to being part of sites that I can't delete the comments (generally) of those that post on a thread I am using (regardless of what content it is)

On 9/19/2019 at 9:16 PM, HexBolt8 said:

Tips For Mod Descriptions

• For your text, use every color of the rainbow, plus a few previously unknown to mankind.
  • Use at least 5 different text sizes.  Anything less and you're an amateur.

That is annoying. (some of the above) and will make me less likely to read an mod discription than read it.

Colors, text, fonts,  and such should only be used in a minimum way and only to help the person navigate and see important info (Focused)

Even though that was a joke.. it is horrifying comment.  However, does help drive my point. A clean organized easily navagated discription is a must. If it is long.. perhaps use spoilers for the details allowing someone to pass by that piece if they need to. That or provide a document in the download that they can read.

If someone isn't doing the effort try (with pins in Nexus) to let them know the most common issues. then if they can't take the time to read etc.. then ignore them.

Keep in mind, for those that do have issues and there is info there. ASK CLARIFICATION QUESTIONS ON THE INSTRUCTIONS. Not all people are native speakers and sometimes instructions might be confusing for someone that is newer as mod authors and experienced users tend to use shorthand and assume some understanding of the user.  I have found if I quote or as for clarification of something posted by the author or someone supporting me... they are much more likely to respond in a positive manner.  It also shows that the person posting the question is trying to resolve the issue themselves but are stuck with parts fo the instructions.

Archived