What really makes you happy?

Making my Mom laugh. It makes me feel good to remind her of happier times and old friends. Her short term memory is shot, but she can still remember some other long term stuff.

Getting something accomplished every day- especially the shit that I really didn't want to do.

Seeing a really good movie. Mostly about historical events. I'm actually becoming quite a history buff even though one can never be sure of how accurate any of it really is.

Seeing someone really enjoy what they do like musicians or dancers that are just trying to entertain people. and that are somewhat talented.

Benny Hill. The man was a fucking hilarious genius and he always had that "cat that ate the bird" type smile! Need to find and buy any and all of his stuff.

Seeing assholes get their just reward though that doesn't happen often enough.

Having a few drinks either by myself or with friends every now and again.

17 hours ago, MrEsturk said:

Okay, seriously, skip to 0:25 of the following video watch the female NPC's reactions when the bug occurs. Its like she's self aware she's in a clunky mess of a game and trying her embarrassed best to downplay it. Don't know whether to laugh or be depressed knowing those awkward facial expressions look better as a reaction to the glitch then they would in their properly intended context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwzph0BKlEk

Okay, you get a ? for making me laugh. :classic_laugh:

Sorry, I'm all out of ?.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:59 PM, KoolHndLuke said:

Making my Mom laugh. It makes me feel good to remind her of happier times and old friends. Her short term memory is shot, but she can still remember some other long term stuff.

Getting something accomplished every day- especially the shit that I really didn't want to do.

Seeing a really good movie. Mostly about historical events. I'm actually becoming quite a history buff even though one can never be sure of how accurate any of it really is.

Seeing someone really enjoy what they do like musicians or dancers that are just trying to entertain people. and that are somewhat talented.

Benny Hill. The man was a fucking hilarious genius and he always had that "cat that ate the bird" type smile! Need to find and buy any and all of his stuff.

Seeing assholes get their just reward though that doesn't happen often enough.

Having a few drinks either by myself or with friends every now and again.

Wait, why were we here? O. Avatars piss me off or make me happy, I put WAY too much meaning into them.

I've got a crush on that one, that other one is abrasive as hell but I've got a crush (on their avatar?)

You (Koolhand) make me happy.

What a question, "What makes you really happy", MYOB but "it was on my mind" and it seemed important at 4AM.

On 3/12/2019 at 9:59 PM, KoolHndLuke said:

Making my Mom laugh. It makes me feel good to remind her of happier times and old friends. Her short term memory is shot,

Are you a full time caregiver? If so, you sound like an excruciatingly good one.

I'm... Well... My Old Man is former military, so I don't give him a pass on very much. I try my best to get him to think his way through stuff, but frankly, he just can't do it any longer.

It sucks seeing people diminish. :(

UGH, this wasn't a "make you happy" post. Sorry.

It's the 22nd of March. You know what that means? Winter has been officially over, in the Northern hemisphere, for 2 days now!~

DAYS ARE NOW LONGER THAN NIGHTS! WOOT!

Time to shake off the slumber, the stupor, and plant radishes or something. I have a hobby greenhouse. I can see weeds sprouting up inside of it already!

• 2 weeks later...

What makes me happy?

A good game, more so with a good mod setup.

Soothing music. Simple, instrumental, with skilled or trained vocalists.

Watching partisan idiots of any stripe get wrecked and/or wallow in the hell they create for themselves.

Figuring out and then solving practical problems. (Which I get to do at work.)

I realize now that this might be my spirit animal.

16 hours ago, Pork Type said:

I'm technically too old for this shit, but I love it anyway

Ah, childhood memories, spent many hours playing this game.  I always tried beating it with Raph, but always ending in failure.  Thanks for the nostalgia, Pork Type! ?

2 hours ago, vinamael said:

I always tried beating it with Raph, but always ending in failure.

I'll never understand why Nintendo thought sai would be a viable weapon in a video game. They're weapon catchers IRL, not "spinning" weapons. And their range is so short compared to even Mikey's nunchaku.

10 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I'll never understand why Nintendo thought sai would be a viable weapon in a video game. They're weapon catchers IRL, not "spinning" weapons. And their range is so short compared to even Mikey's nunchaku.

Playing the NES TMNT2 two player = two people arguing over who gets to pick Donatello since he had a range advantage with no apparent weakness to compensate. The other three turtles played nearly identical, even Leonardo who you would think also would have more reach, but nope.

Now in TMNT3 Raph was great since he had the best super move by a long shot. However in TMNT1 (That weird platformer not based off the arcade beat-em-ups) the poor guy was useless. You'd only pick him when you needed a damage sponge.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:28 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

That was on Eastman and Laird rather than Nintendo (or rather Konami under their Ultra Games label created to circumvent Nintendo's hard limit on how many games that Third Party companies could release on the NES/Famicom every year) who made the odd decision to make Raphael's main weapon a Sai (well, when he didn't just use his bare hands, random objects or even guns).

what probably makes me happy the most is going to the local store/market or whatever and just grabbing all the best looking herbs, veggies and meats then turning on music attuned to what I'm about to cook (spanish guitar for mexican food, buckwheat zydeco for cajun stuff ect) and making delicious food... nothing beats sittin on the couch, covered in grease burns eating some gourmet slop ya make yourself.

2 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

That was on Eastman and Laird rather than Nintendo (or rather Konami under their Ultra Games label created to circumvent Nintendo's hard limit on how many games that Third Party companies could release on the NES/Famicom every year) who made the odd decision to make Raphael's main weapon a Sai (well, when he didn't just use his bare hands, random objects or even guns).

Figures it would be some ignorant corporate execs. Even in the cartoon (80's/90's version) he only ever uses them to disarm others. I mean, you can use the hilts as crude bludgeons but that's not their main function.

15 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Figures it would be some ignorant corporate execs. Even in the cartoon (80's/90's version) he only ever uses them to disarm others. I mean, you can use the hilts as crude bludgeons but that's not their main function.

They weren't corporate suits, at least not at the time, just indie comics creators who didn't have access to the power of the Internet so they didn't know much about Japanese weapons. They likely just saw images of them in a booklet somewhere or in a Sho Kosugi movie and thought that Sais looked cool so they integrated them into their action-comedy series starring mutated terrapins. 

The oddest thing about it is that they used different weapons in the flashback stories (Pre-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)but Raph and Mike stick with their less practical weapons in the present (for the time) stories.

One can blame the corporation (Viacom) who they sold the property to for doggedly keeping those weapons choices even when they change everything else including making a definitive choice about the race of formerly ambiguous character April O'Neil, not that every other adaptation didn't do the exact same thing in their own ways.

Playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 splitscreen with my brother. I've already completed the game solo and seeing some of the choices that he makes and hearing his commentary on the events really make for a fun time. Also revisiting the game and trying a new path and class/build is quite refreshing. 

I'm still going to play as a lizard though, that's not changing?.

Head in the clouds, crazy constructions on the drawing board, coffee, that scent when summer rain falls on dry earth, erotic art, females, all that makes me feel good.

Been slowing weening myself off the Google tech monopoly. Just switched my browser to Brave. Was already using GoDuckGo for my search bar. And so on.

Still on the GMail train and can't see quitting Google Maps anytime soon. But I'm not so much boycotting Google as I am trying to make sure I'm not completely dependent on their sole company for all my online activities.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:35 AM, moduseonly said:

When you can breathe clearly after being congested for some time. (PS I hate spring can we have winter back...?)

Well... I dunno about having Winter back, but my own nose is finally clearing... after 3 weeks of the most horrendous boogers.

And the Mourning Doves are nesting... at Ground level, this year. They're going to absolutely love it, the first time the grass needs mowing, Or a feral cat comes by!