What really makes you happy?

Figuring out solutions to programming problems. For example I've been trying to set up an indie game project using Unity and today I figured out solutions to two the the issues I had with the Unity engine:

The first is its built-in RNG system, which IMO is terrible at randomizing small number ranges. So I programmed my own RNG system, based on the system the original DOOM used of all things. Mine's a little more advanced of course, including having a mutation algorithm that shuffles up the seed table whenever its called. But things have been set up to phase out Unity's vanilla RNG system all together so yay. My system should be much better suited for the retro style game I'm trying to make.

The other issue was Unity's animation system, which was borderline useless if you want precisely timed out animations (it uses a float based counter, which Unity is just a sloppy mess at performing in general). So I created my own timer that keeps the counter integer based until the final moment, making it much cleaner at making sure the keyframes you want to always display do so.

Still mulling over whether I want to make a platformer similar to NES Rygar/Classic Castlevania or a old style Zelda type game (#JustADDThings?). Anyone have an opinion on that matter?

8 hours ago, Wachtergeist said:

Acid and video games.

Video games are way less bad for you than Acid.

I quit that shit more than 20 years ago, after more doses than I can count.

As long as your brain is infused with that shit, the propensity to think magically is increased.

21 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

I liked Wizards and Warriors (NES), and have yet to see a game like that. It is one of my favorite games. 

Ah yes, Wizards and Warriors? One of the games I owned as child. There are concepts there I could use if I go the platformer route. Such as the non-linear stages involving tracking down keys and enough treasure to bribe off a stubborn, invincible gatekeeper. The treasure chest based sub-item system and the potion of levitation were fun mechanics too.

Also pretty impressive the devs were able to get smooth simultaneous horizontal and vertical scrolling on the NES all the way back in 1987. Almost a year before Nintendo themselves first pulled it off with SMB3.

On 4/18/2019 at 2:26 AM, Pork Type said:

Video games are way less bad for you than Acid.

I quit that shit more than 20 years ago, after more doses than I can count.

As long as your brain is infused with that shit, the propensity to think magically is increased.

I don't do it very frequently, perhaps once in a blue moon really. It's a bit fun to bend reality and my perception from time to time. Offers a bit of a different perspective, nothing useful usually. More or less I prefer the occasional hit of LSD every few months vs. the sheer amount of alcohol I consumed over a two year period in the past.

On 4/21/2019 at 6:31 PM, Wachtergeist said:

More or less I prefer the occasional hit of LSD every few months vs. the sheer amount of alcohol I consumed over a two year period in the past.

Mass alcohol consumption... I've had my battles with that. I'd rather see spots all the time via LSD than via alcohol (I've experienced both!)

Different Sorts of Spots. Accompanied by shaky hands/muscle spasms. Aural hallucinations.

You?

14 hours ago, Pork Type said:

Mass alcohol consumption... I've had my battles with that. I'd rather see spots all the time via LSD than via alcohol (I've experienced both!)

Different Sorts of Spots. Accompanied by shaky hands/muscle spasms. Aural hallucinations.

You?

Never had any serious aural hallucinations, a bit of distortion here and there. Music was the easiest to notice differences. Kinda like a sudden slight change of pitch I guess. Never seen any spots either, most of the time things tend to blend together or contrast in a profoundly weird way. Usually it's like a myriad of small whirlpools in my vision. I know it would be bad to do on a frequent basis, so I do exercise a bit of caution. Definitely make sure I'm not alone the nights that I do it. 

I always feel a bit energized when I do it. I really like to move around and take in my environment. Can't remember any spasms though. Might affect people in a different way I suppose. 

Alcohol was far worse for me. Deepened my depression and made me feel profoundly hopeless. It wasn't a fun period, but I am happy I kicked the habit at least. Can't ever really get rid of the craving. At least I don't have that with lsd.

3 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

Last time I went tripping was in college and my roommate left me alone so I proceeded to have a "bad trip" and as my roommate was knocking on the door to let him in, I was seeing cops through the eye hole. Then a friend of mine from down the hall, coaxed me out and I immediately hugged him, and he told me "thanks", because he was rolling. I never tripped after that, although the first few hours were awesome (I wasn't alone for those hours). 

Yeah, It's not something I would ever recommend doing while alone. It's a lot better to have people around or at the very least you can talk to. Never had a bad trip with others around. Had one once when I was left alone half way through and then it kinda spiralled out a bit. Wasn't fun, but it didn't really have much of an effect on me after I sobered up.

You really have to be in the right frame of mind before you take anything, otherwise you're just kinda setting yourself up for a bad trip.

I had a 'young girl' event Easter Sunday.  We were out of foil for the ham so I had to go to the store.  Of course every place is closed so I had to go to Walmart.  Greeting me at the door was some high school chick in a bunny costume.  I said "Happy Easter" and she fucking hugged me.  Not the kind of fraternal hug you give a stranger but a full body one where she pressed herself against me.  I was shocked.  The giant rabbit head she was wearing had black mesh in the eyes so she could see out; I could see in and she was a cute little redhead...and the bitch was smiling like 'ha-ha I can do whatever I want because no one can see me'.  Shameless hussy.  I was tempted to grope and molest the shit out of her but a #metoo moment hit me.  My fear of a lawsuit saved her; but that was the only thing.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:26 PM, MrEsturk said:

Still mulling over whether I want to make a platformer similar to NES Rygar/Classic Castlevania or a old style Zelda type game (#JustADDThings?). Anyone have an opinion on that matter?

2D platformer market's gotten crowded of late, while there aren't enough oldschool Zelda throwbacks out there.

1 hour ago, Kendo 2 said:

Shameless hussy.  I was tempted to grope and molest the shit out of her but a #metoo moment hit me.

Have I ever related the one time I got "reverse groped" on the "T", ie. the Boston Subway System?

It was Everyday. Coming off the commuter train, at its terminus at North Station... It's every man (or woman) for themselves to pack yourselves, like sardines, into the inbound Orange line train cars or Green line trolleys.

I was an Orange line stooge. Some woman boarded the train at the next station or so -- despite the throng of humanity, there is usually an unspoken "personal distance" rule.

Well, she had a rack, and she had no problem squishing her twins into my left rib cage, while my left arm was preoccupied holding onto one of the overhead hand-holds.

And so this went on, 'til Downtown Crossing. She, sniffing my armpit, and me, nuzzling her Twins.

2 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

I had a 'young girl' event Easter Sunday.  We were out of foil for the ham so I had to go to the store.  Of course every place is closed so I had to go to Walmart.  Greeting me at the door was some high school chick in a bunny costume.  I said "Happy Easter" and she fucking hugged me.  Not the kind of fraternal hug you give a stranger but a full body one where she pressed herself against me.  I was shocked.  The giant rabbit head she was wearing had black mesh in the eyes so she could see out; I could see in and she was a cute little redhead...and the bitch was smiling like 'ha-ha I can do whatever I want because no one can see me'.  Shameless hussy.  I was tempted to grope and molest the shit out of her but a #metoo moment hit me.  My fear of a lawsuit saved her; but that was the only thing.

We are in hell hugs are shocking.

The terrorists have won.

Osama must be smiling down upon us.

Nintendo just declared that any and all political messaging is forbidden on their online service and may possibly extend to the games on their platforms. That might be reason enough for me to go back to consoles if only for the Switch so there can be at least one platform that grants some reprieve from partisanship in gaming. 

1 hour ago, MrEsturk said:

Use Brave instead. It's an alternative made by one of Firefoxes originial creators. Firefox dabbles in most of the same shady stuff as Chrome these days.

Brave was made by the people from the original Opera, not Mozilla.  It's basically just a fork of Chrome without Google's BS like Opera, that isn't owned by China unlike Opera, but it doesn't have auto-update.

Mozilla isn't shady, just dumb.