Back In my day

Back in my day:

- The adults had lots of "back in my day" nostalgia discussions.

- The world was rapidly changing, but most people didn't realize it. Neither did I.

- All the people having the "back in my day" discussions were really just left behind and unwilling to adapt.

Now:

- My generation is indulging in "back in my day" discussions, denigrating the young-'uns.

- People still fail to realize the "back in my day" discussions have been a thing since the Classical Era.

- People still think their chosen era of nostalgia was somehow better than now, failing to realize they've been left behind and have failed to adapt, just as their parents did.

- People still don't study history, and still don't understand that life is objectively better now than it was, despite all the shit we continue to inflict upon each other.

SNAFU - we're still nowhere near as smart a species as we think we are. :classic_wink:

I was introverted and raised by Luddite parents on a small farm, so "my day" was already out of date when I was living it; I've basically felt like some kind of observer of society for my adult life so far. (I'd say I'm an "outsider", but I'm afraid that would give the impression that I think I'm 'cool' or 'special' or something. I've just always been WAY out of touch with everything.)

Back in my day:

-People had fun with thread topics, no matter how silly they may have been (probably because the Internet was still a new and magical thing back then) rather than derailing them by mapping cultural trends in them like some kind of wet rag draped across a circuit board. 

-People used to savor every byte of content put forward since there was nothing better out there while these days, some threads go indefinitely without a single response and entire websites go unnoticed.

-Crowd funding was done via raffles and bake sales and large one-time charitable donations which sometimes came from questionable sources.

-Dinosaurs were contained to theme parks rather than running wild in the streets. No, wait, That was in Jurassic Park.

-The Housing Market was stable enough for Home Training to be a common thing rather than another form of over-priced Higher Education.

-Factoids came from dusty books in libraries and from experts on topics rather than from the Internet. It meant something to have a great deal of trivial knowledge. Usually that one had nothing better to do with one's time than read but it was still something!

- People had these discussions in Barber Shops, Fishing Supple shops, Mechanic shops and living rooms, not on fancy digital bulletin boards.

-Robots were the gender non-specific future.

-Arcade home adaptations were completely different games from their arcade inspirations.

- Video Arcades were still a common thing and the best way to play games for a few minutes at a time, after which one went outside and played until someone wanders onto someone else's lawn. That's when the fun stopped.

-Lawns in video games couldn't come anywhere near the majesty of the real deal. They were just solid green textures.

-Viruses were strictly a fleshly malady, something that the mighty machines of the future were thought to be immune from.

- People used to arrange their thought in a coherent manner in print as they had to mail their missives to one another if they were not willing to shell out extra for the telegram, necessitating cogency and concision where now everyone has the luxury of rambling since digital posts are cheap and instantaneous in their transmission. 

10 hours ago, Yakis0ba said:

I was introverted and raised by Luddite parents on a small farm, so "my day" was already out of date when I was living it; I've basically felt like some kind of observer of society for my adult life so far. (I'd say I'm an "outsider", but I'm afraid that would give the impression that I think I'm 'cool' or 'special' or something. I've just always been WAY out of touch with everything.)

I feel pretty much the same way. I've been anti-social my whole life. Even as a kid, when my mom sent me to my room for what she thought was punishment, I would just sit and play with my toys or make shit up in my head and not even notice the time pass. Eventually she learned that nothing worked on me, so she just spanked me for the rest of my childhood. :D

I don't hate people. I just don't need them bothering me while I'm doing something they wouldn't like or understand or to have a lot of fun (like playing Skyrim with a shitload of mods!!!). To me, people are almost always more of a hindrance that usually eclipses any benefit or fun they might be with a few exceptions. There are those people that actually bring something to the table or are just so much fun to be around that you forget about their shortcomings. The latter are rare creatures indeed and I've only had a few friends like that.

2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I feel pretty much the same way. I've been anti-social my whole life. Even as a kid, when my mom sent me to my room for what she thought was punishment, I would just sit and play with my toys or make shit up in my head and not even notice the time pass. Eventually she learned that nothing worked on me, so she just spanked me for the rest of my childhood. :D

I don't hate people. I just don't need them bothering me while I'm doing something they wouldn't like or understand or to have a lot of fun (like playing Skyrim with a shitload of mods!!!). To me, people are almost always more of a hindrance that usually eclipses any benefit or fun they might be with a few exceptions. There are those people that actually bring something to the table or are just so much fun to be around that you forget about their shortcomings. The latter are rare creatures indeed and I've only had a few friends like that.

I'm not antisocial, I just have a very low need for social interaction, and because of where I grew up I didn't have social interaction thrust upon me. But I definitely agree with you on the "other people just get in the way" thing in regards to having fun; I've tried multiplayer exactly once, and that was enough. And I have always been a lot better working alone, usually because I can go faster by myself and I always know what's going on/what's been done because I'm the one who did it.

Of course the downside is that I have no idea how to make friends now, and I'm hella shy (and anxious, and self-conscious, and self-critical...). And try getting a girlfriend when you have NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE DOING, EVER.

But this is a "back in my day" thread, not a "what are your social foibles" thread. Sorry everybody.

29 minutes ago, Yakis0ba said:

I'm not antisocial, I just have a very low need for social interaction, and because of where I grew up I didn't have social interaction thrust upon me. But I definitely agree with you on the "other people just get in the way" thing in regards to having fun; I've tried multiplayer exactly once, and that was enough. And I have always been a lot better working alone, usually because I can go faster by myself and I always know what's going on/what's been done because I'm the one who did it.

Antisocial refers to Antisocial Personality Disorder, which is often called "psychopathy" because it means a person has absolutely no ability to relate to others as equals. We would be called "asocial." I don't want or need tons of friends or associates; I do better in very small groups or alone. And I don't have the energy to keep up with that many people's lives.

It's another reason I avoid sociopathic media. I'd rather not deal with people there or pretend to care about what's happening to folks I've never met and never will.

28 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

<snip>

And to add another ugly slice of history, people of color weren't allowed to use the same restaurants, drinking fountains, movie theaters, bus seats or whole buses, or swimming pools. It wasn't just black folks; brown, red, yellow, even as little as one-eighth off-white ancestry was enough to be barred or even lynched for daring to kiss a white person! And Dog help you if you were a mixed race person. Or lemming. My grandfather fought for the US of A in World War Two and Korea, but he was barred entry from establishments when he got back to the States because he was brown and nearly killed because he married a white woman. Truly the Golden Age of America! :classic_dodgy:

Like @RitualClarity did, I'm just sharing the other half of the story that people want to forget.

9 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

That was a bit before my time.. and as I understand it .. it was mostly in the south. However, some have told me it even came up north to some cities as well.

That is so despicable, Hopefully over time it got better for him and his wife. 

Some cultures are more absorbing then others.

For example we identify asian cultures as "funny smiles".

"I need nory!, let me get to my funny smile friend to get some."

Is that offensive? I think it is not. Because there is no meaning of offending. But there is some identifying traits in the description. And not told as an accuse. Never!

Black people? Here we do not call them "black". We may tell the country of origin. Senegal, Nigeria, Somalia, etc.

There are no different people in skin or DNA. We just have different cultures. And we can respect each other culture and person.

26 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

That was a bit before my time.. and as I understand it .. it was mostly in the south. However, some have told me it even came up north to some cities as well.

That is so despicable, Hopefully over time it got better for him and his wife. 

It was mostly in the south in terms of official law, but all over the States in terms of how too many people felt.

That's kind of a sorry story. Not sad, just sorry. My grandfather suffered untold horrors fighting in both wars, developed post-traumatic stress, and drank himself to death by 1973. Before then my grandparents got divorced because of his drinking and his inability to hold down a civilian job. My grandmother was no saint, either, and seemed to take out her frustrations on my father and two uncles after the divorce. By all accounts they made themselves miserable and made their kids miserable as well. I respect them for their achievements but I really wouldn't/didn't like them as human beings.

37 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

That is false, Ritual.

One race. Dot stop. Many cultures. That's a fact.

All the past glissings occurred? Just glissings. Be an adult and go after,

One species, one race, tons of fun cultures. That's making living today a bless.

Back in MY day, we didn't have your fancy 1 Terabyte hard drives! We had 9.1 gigs that's all! and it had to last, cuz you could probably only fit 2, cuz we didn't have your fancy SATA, no siree it was IDE or nuthin*... 

What??!?

I'm not as old as you fossils ??

*(Ok ya there was SCSI and I actually had an Ulta wide SCSI PC I built, because I could!)

2 hours ago, CPU said:

I am not wrong.. you just don't understand me. but that is OK.  I've only studied Cultural Anthropology for several years before I changed my major. Guess all that time was wasted. I don't know ethnicity from culture, cultural dynamics  or anything like that.

Damn, why did I start replying and conversing on this subject. I know where it ends up every time.

Stupid is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Boy am I stupid!  

14 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

My grandfather suffered untold horrors fighting in both wars, developed post-traumatic stress, and drank himself to death by 1973. Before then my grandparents got divorced because of his drinking and his inability to hold down a civilian job.

That is not the sole venue of people of color sorry to inform you.

12 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

I don't know ethnicity from culture, cultural dynamics  or anything like that.

Sorry RITUAL I have to agree with CPU, from a purely biological standpoint there is just one race. The idea of different races (therefore ethnicities) is a human construct. The age old "those people look or act different than us" so they can't be the same same as us (race). Sure Blacks, Asians, Native American and so on look very different than Whites yet they contain the exact same DNA, with the exception of "Sub-Saharan Africans" (no Neanderthal DNA). Historically even the White peoples differentiated between each other some feeling they were a superior race to the ones they wished to oppress. 

4 hours ago, wokking56 said:

I know. That was part of the story about why my grandparents' marriage fell apart; it had nothing to do with color.

I really wish I could say people respected vets more back in my day, but my father is a Vietnam vet and he experienced the outrage his peers had for those who went over--willingly or not. So people stopped respecting veterans before I was born.

The term "NPC" was a role-playing game term back in my day. But NPCs still existed. In about the same numbers they do today. They were just harder to spot.

On 2/24/2019 at 6:50 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

We need lots more antisocial people like yourself, you're more interesting than that beer-commercial-guy, who is supposed to be the most interesting.

never preachy, always endorsing people, and the threads you come up with are (also) interesting.

Um, topical....gotta be topical....Compuserve (or someone)

had these little rooms where you could meet people typing stuff.

Evil hackers weren't as evil. People'd actually give you a free GIF of a coke-can spinning...and brag about 20MB hard drives (I think the rest of us had floppies)

OK it cost $400 a month to be social but it was worth it.

1200 baud modems were solid-looking things costing oodles (200 comes to mind, but that's prolly wrong)

Right this second I'm paranoid someone is dropping off or stealing a package from my front door.

Was mail-robbery such a commonplace thing back then?

Not sure, Amazon didn't exist.

amazon.jpg.18e6c4b6c04bf4455f13586da5c1e1d5.jpg

8 hours ago, wokking56 said:

Sorry RITUAL I have to agree with CPU, from a purely biological standpoint there is just one race. The idea of different races (therefore ethnicities) is a human construct. The age old "those people look or act different than us" so they can't be the same same as us (race). Sure Blacks, Asians, Native American and so on look very different than Whites yet they contain the exact same DNA, with the exception of "Sub-Saharan Africans" (no Neanderthal DNA). Historically even the White peoples differentiated between each other some feeling they were a superior race to the ones they wished to oppress. 

I never talked about race... But ok.. it doesn't matter what people identify themselves with.

Call an American Indian a Mexican and see if you don't get your fucking mouth busted.  Call an Israeli a Palestinian in the middle east and see if you don't get your ass kicked. Sure "human construct" go with that.

To be clear, I stated you can't call someone something as you can't tell what they are. Period. But feel free to continue to kiss CPU's ass...

Spoiler

Gee, that doesn't fell good taking someone's post out of context does it?  As you did with my post assuming something that wasn't there.  Keep up the good work. I don't care. Post what you want.

Well, I for one don't share such a phenotype-related self-identification problem, the root of all racism and today the result of an almost omnipresent identity politics.

Already in kindergarten I had the pleasure to get informed by the other kids, all of them mestizos more or less, what I'm supposed to be - a half-breed, the bastard. Wow!

The 13th Warrior wasn't yet known for otherwise I'd doubtlessly answered with "I, at least, know who my father is... ." Lol.