Back In my day

Today even schools in America looks like prisons with security checks and barbed wire.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Coppell-Wire-Fence_Dallas-Fort-Worth-410239375.html

Not to mention private prisons run for profit with obvious incentive to incarcerate as many people as possible and as long as possible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/04/28/how-for-profit-prisons-have-become-the-biggest-lobby-no-one-is-talking-about/

Now even with phone calls instead of real visits - to squeeze every penny out of those convenient ungodly sinful inmates.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/04/more-jails-replace-in-person-visits-with-awful-video-chat-products/

Thank you, conservatism. Fairly this looks like communist China but if you cite Bible - its okay.

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, iJaVaFx said:

Back in my days car where made of pure metal.. 

Hell yeah, steel frame and bumpers with heavy gauge steel body panels. Massive iron engines to move all that metal down the road with the only safety concerns being steering, braking and later seat-belts. Engineered to last 40+ years on early models (1900s through 1950s) or around 25 years (1960s through 1990s).

Today we have; lightweight aluminum uni-bodies with plastic bumpers (only partial steel alloy front frame and engine cradle) with a mixture of aluminum alloy/plastic/fiberglass body panels. Small aluminum turbo-charged engines that overheat and warp easily. Safety features out the ***, anti-lock brakes ABS, a full array of airbags, crumple zones, blind spot warning light, collision avoidance system (auto-braking) and the list just never ends. Designed to last maybe 10 years.

I’m sure this has been said, but I just wanna reiterate:

Back in my day, video games were complete products. All extras (we call them DLC content nowadays) were reserved for sequels, which subsequently, were also complete products of their own.

12 hours ago, wokking56 said:

Hell yeah, steel frame and bumpers with heavy gauge steel body panels. Massive iron engines to move all that metal down the road with the only safety concerns being steering, braking and later seat-belts. Engineered to last 40+ years on early models (1900s through 1950s) or around 25 years (1960s through 1990s).

Today we have; lightweight aluminum uni-bodies with plastic bumpers (only partial steel alloy front frame and engine cradle) with a mixture of aluminum alloy/plastic/fiberglass body panels. Small aluminum turbo-charged engines that overheat and warp easily. Safety features out the ***, anti-lock brakes ABS, a full array of airbags, crumple zones, blind spot warning light, collision avoidance system (auto-braking) and the list just never ends. Designed to last maybe 10 years.

Still back then is was safer to drive a car than now on  point of view

10 hours ago, HentaiGnome said:

I’m sure this has been said, but I just wanna reiterate:

Back in my day, video games were complete products. All extras (we call them DLC content nowadays) were reserved for sequels, which subsequently, were also complete products of their own.

Back in my day you wouldn't get flag to buy penis enlargement pills.

• 2 years later...

Back in my day . . .

16 kb was lots of memory

Large programs came on many floppy disks

Hardware upgrades involved a soldering iron, heat sink and de-solder braid

Optical drives would only connect to a SoundBlaster card

Some hardware required you to write a driver for it

Keyboards didn't have Number Pads

16 colors on one screen was a miracle

Screen resolution was expressed as ASCII characters displayed

There was no mouse { and no clicking}

Programming was accomplished by punching holes in letter-sized cards {and hoping your buddy didn't "shuffle" the order}

Forum posts were carefully screened so you didn't end up locked into a 2 hour load of one picture

The Internet wasn't

Bulletin Boards were it

Everybody chipped in to help the local guy who had several phone lines and modems to run a BBS

Communication speeds were 300 bps, {slower than you could type with two fingers}

Searches were accomplished with the BBS mail system, and results could take weeks to come back

We learned how to manage files

Funny how I don't miss it . . .