Back In my day

For the love of God change the fucking subject.  We all know what's gonna happen; the resident shills and free speech-hating progressives will start in with their bullshit so the thread will get locked.  They do it every time they can't win with facts.  Just let it go.

BACK IN MY DAY...parents wanted their kids to play outside.  During the Summer I'd leave my house in the morning and I wouldn't get home until after dark.  Everybody in my neighborhood did that, except for the girls because they didn't wanna get dirty.  The kids I played with, we all had BBguns, slingshots and pockets full of firecrackers.  It was good fun back then.

42 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

For the love of God change the fucking subject.  We all know what's gonna happen; the resident shills and free speech-hating progressives will start in with their bullshit so the thread will get locked.  They do it every time they can't win with facts.  Just let it go.

BACK IN MY DAY...parents wanted their kids to play outside.  During the Summer I'd leave my house in the morning and I wouldn't get home until after dark.  Everybody in my neighborhood did that, except for the girls because they didn't wanna get dirty.  The kids I played with, we all had BBguns, slingshots and pockets full of firecrackers.  It was good fun back then.

While I frequently find myself disagreeing with Kendo I am happy to acknowledge that I think he is right on both counts. First, continuing to talk about contemporary transgender issues will likely incite drama and bring this thread crashing down. Second, talking about contemporary transgender issues misses the point of the thread (which would be a real shame) since this about "Back in My Day."

We (boys) also used to play outside all day (better be home at sundown). We did baseball in the summer and football the rest of the year at our local parks. These were pick up games often with jury-rigged equipment (who could afford more?) When there weren't enough of us or when we didn't have sufficient equipment we made up games to keep us active. Unlike Kendo's childhood I can not say that we had BB guns, slingshots or firecrackers (some of those last at Independence Day and under strict parental supervision maybe). While we were not above fashioning primitive weapons with which to play games that would no longer be considered politically correct (and therefore will not be named here in order to try to avoid more unnecessary drama) we didn't have any for "routine" use. Despite the lack, I still remember it as a happy and fulfilling time.

Back in my day, digital firearms were the only way to play First Person Shooters (which were themselves strictly on-rails affairs). Okay, that wasn't entirely true. There was also a digital crossbow that one could use for the game bearing the weapon's name.

CrossbowEbaypic.jpg.72a1d5cbcd8948f87ae23d427bf2ec0b.jpg

No one was the slightest bit worried that the existence of that game would cause an upswing in crossbow crime in meatspace, either.

5 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

I have to agree with Freya here. There is an "experiment" going on in society today with children and gender identity, I am curious how it will play out in the future: 

Yes and that is exactly what it is an experiment, albeit a stupid and possibly dangerous one. The thing that "grinds my gears" is the assumption that there is an unlimited number of genders when even FREYA's extremely liberal choice of definitions says "You can use gender to refer to one of a range of identities that includes female, male, a combination of both, and neither." For a total of 4. The first two are obvious either male or female, the third one simply means you are somewhere in between the first two. The last being simply as stated neither or neuter, a single state of being not some 1000+ imagined states.

Heck sticking with FREYA's definitions gender is "Either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones.... behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex, ... being male or female in relation to the social and cultural roles".

So in our current PC SJW world where it is practically criminal to be a male we are trying to totally rewrite several millennia of societal and cultural growth for the benefit of an admittedly loud and vocal minority.

Can we please drop the sex/gender identity discussions before it attracts the dramatists? If it hasn't already?

Back in my day, VR required standing on a half-cage with a heavy visor on your head. The graphics were extremely low-res, you had no controls beyond gloves or other peripherals used to shoot enemies or touch simple objects, and it cost $10 for ten minutes. And damn it, we were happy with that! The very idea of home VR was still twenty-plus years away from coming true.

10 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Can we please drop the sex/gender identity discussions before it attracts the dramatists? If it hasn't already?

I think for thats already late ?, they are here, they started the hole gender part of this "back in my day" thread.

Amusing how few insane folk who decides raise a kid in a that way for attention can led people to believe this is common thing, I have serius doubts of that, a few case and thats it.

Gender dysphoria is very serious and very cruel state, if the kid don't have don't fuck with it.

If they decide to be identity other genders, they show it anyway, don't force artifically things where it not supposed to be

This is effectively same how my country inbreed politicans try paint west as the devil using rare incidents and paint as common, come on we not that stupid :) 

4 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

There are unfortunately a large number of people on the more extreme part of the Left who believe that sex is a social construct rather than gender alone

I won't defend a stance I don't personally hold.

3 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

That is the question FauxFurry, is it nature or nurture? Why, I think it may be nurture is transgender individuals feel they are in the wrong gender/sex and aim to correct that. Are transgender people gay/straight is the other question, because I have heard of transgender individuals in same-sex relationships, and some in hetero relationships as it pertains to the sex/gender they were born to.

It is a mismatch between gender and sex. Since current medical technology is unable to change your gender to one matching your sex, social transition (adopting a new gender role and expression) and medical transition (altering sexual characteristics) are the current paradigm and have proven very beneficial to the mental health of trans people. Trans people can have any sexual orientation just like cis people. I'm bi for example.

3 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

I don't hate free speech. If I see something I disagree with I'll argue against it. That is what free speech is. If you'd like to see evidence I can link peer-reviewed research papers.

1 hour ago, wokking56 said:

there is an unlimited number of genders when even FREYA's extremely liberal choice of definitions says "You can use gender to refer to one of a range of identities that includes female, male, a combination of both, and neither." For a total of 4. The first two are obvious either male or female, the third one simply means you are somewhere in between the first two. The last being simply as stated neither or neuter, a single state of being not some 1000+ imagined states.

There are an infinite number of values between male and female. Non-binary gender's aren't limited to 50% male, 50% female. I am not claiming there are genders beyond combinations of male and female.

Back in the day, my grandparents were racist and almost nobody gave them a hard time about it. In fact most people respected them for their openness about it. I'm not really racist because I try to judge people on an individual basis. But I do have a few racists ideas/feelings that I cannot reason away. Often I am only racist in response to someone's or a groups thinly veiled racism against me.

Playing Tenpenny Tower again in FO3 made me realize something. The devs make it seem like you are doing evil if you side with Tenpenny and the residents. But, I was thinking to myself "Why is it bad for these people to not want ghouls living with them?". At least a few of their reasons were true enough- that ghouls were a health risk to the others and that they were ugly and hard to look at. What gives Roy Phillips and his followers the right to try and force their way into the tower? Why are they right and the racists bigots wrong? Why am I wrong for choosing to defend the residents right to be racists? Am I supposed to force equal rights on everyone with my gun in their face? Isn't the point of equality respecting individual views and rights- no matter whether I or most people agree with them or not?

Eh, I dunno. Just got me to thinking about how more nowadays the "moral majority" wants to decide for us what is right and what is wrong and what is acceptable behavior and what is not. Fuck you very much. I will make my own moral judgments based on my own experiences. What I don't know, I will try to be become informed about before I try to form an opinion.

22 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Back in the day, my grandparents were racist and almost nobody gave them a hard time about it. In fact most people respected them for their openness about it. I'm not really racist because I try to judge people on an individual basis. But I do have a few racists ideas/feelings that I cannot reason away. Often I am only racist in response to someone's or a groups thinly veiled racism against me.

Playing Tenpenny Tower again in FO3 made me realize something. The devs make it seem like you are doing evil if you side with Tenpenny and the residents. But, I was thinking to myself "Why is it bad for these people to not want ghouls living with them?". At least a few of their reasons were true enough- that ghouls were a health risk to the others and that they were ugly and hard to look at. What gives Roy Phillips and his followers the right to try and force their way into the tower? Why are they right and the racists bigots wrong? Why am I wrong for choosing to defend the residents right to be racists? Am I supposed to force equal rights on everyone with my gun in their face? Isn't the point of equality respecting individual views and rights- no matter whether I or most people agree with them or not?

Eh, I dunno. Just got me to thinking about how more nowadays the "moral majority" wants to decide for us what is right and what is wrong and what is acceptable behavior and what is not. Fuck you very much. I will make my own moral judgments based on my own experiences. What I don't know, I will try to be become informed about before I try to form an opinion.

Acting on racist beliefs in a way that is detrimental to others is morally wrong (let's assume axiomatically that treating people poorly based on factors out of their control and not harmful to others is morally wrong). It would be nonsensical to use people being ugly to you, subjectively, to justify discriminating against them. Not to mention racial minorities do not pose health risks to others. It is very sensible of you to judge people individually regardless of your beliefs though.

1 hour ago, Freyadiin said:

Acting on racist beliefs in a way that is detrimental to others is morally wrong

I get that. But people are considered evil and backwards for even holding those beliefs anymore and maybe never acting on them. For someone to come along and say that because you are a racist bigot- either perceived, admittedly, or wrongly accused- should not be an excuse for trampling your individual rights according to any notion of equality. Everyone has the right to their own ideas/opinions as long as they are not trying to harm someone else because of them. In the example I used, Roy is wrong or evil for wanting to impede upon Tenpenny's rights as the owner of the tower using his bigotry as the main reason for doing so. As the owner of Tenpenny tower, I reason that Tenpenny has every right to refuse anyone residency for whatever reason he wants and to attack or at least defend against those that threaten him or any of his residents.

My point I think, is that it is better to be true to yourself and others so that you and they know where everyone stands and to defend your beliefs (and stuff) with all reasonableness. All this cutesy false acceptance is just setting everyone up for societies built on lies to the point of no one trusting each other about anything. I can respect anyone who says that they don't like my "kind" and will know that their word means something even If I don't understand or agree with their reasons. 

20 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I get that. But people are considered evil and backwards for even holding those beliefs anymore and maybe never acting on them. For someone to come along and say that because you are a racist bigot- either perceived, admittedly, or wrongly accused- should not be an excuse for trampling your individual rights according to any notion of equality. Everyone has the right to their own ideas/opinions as long as they are not trying to harm someone else because of them. In the example I used, Roy is wrong or evil for wanting to impede upon Tenpenny's rights as the owner of the tower using his bigotry as the main reason for doing so. As the owner of Tenpenny tower, I reason that Tenpenny has every right to refuse anyone residency for whatever reason he wants and to attack or at least defend against those that threaten him or any of his residents.

I would agree that if you never act on your beliefs that is totally fine. However, stating your beliefs openly counts as acting on them. Words have meaning and to tell a racial minority you see them as somehow lesser is definitely detrimental to their mental wellbeing. It also eggs on others with the same beliefs.

Maybe Tenpenny technically has the right to do so, but it is still morally wrong to do so.

2 hours ago, Freyadiin said:

I would agree that if you never act on your beliefs that is totally fine. However, stating your beliefs openly counts as acting on them. Words have meaning and to tell a racial minority you see them as somehow lesser is definitely detrimental to their mental wellbeing. It also eggs on others with the same beliefs.

You're pontificating.  How about posting something about 'back in my day'?

8 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

You're pontificating.  How about posting something about 'back in my day'?

I'm 20 so I'm not sure if I'm old enough to do the "back in my day" lol

11 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

There are unfortunately a large number of people on the more extreme part of the Left who believe that sex is a social construct rather than gender alone

It is, though. We've boiled down a wide spectrum of variations in many different aspects of the body to a simple binary. That's what social constructs are: attempts to boil down complex phenomena into simple concepts that we can talk about and manipulate, like symbols in an equation. 

It doesn't mean that there's no real biological phenomenon underpinning it; it means that what we think of when we talk about sex is very different from what sex differentiation actually looks like on a biological level. "Male and female" is a neat little convenient mental tool, like the Bohr model of the atom. The reality is a lot messier, in both cases. "Male" conflates a lot of things (sex chromosomes, genitalia, secondary sex characteristics, biochemistry, ...) that vary wildly between individuals belonging to the "male" class. "Male", then, as a social category, doesn't well match the biological and has trouble coping with many real-world cases.

Our inability to break the social class down and analyze what it's trying to point to, the biological layers, is why we have difficulty talking about things like "trans/intersex individuals in sports". There's a simple question we're asking there: does this individual have a physiological advantage/disadvantage over other members of their competitive class? And that requires looking at muscle tone and biochemistry, and thus will vary on an individual level; not all trans/intersex individuals have the same kinds of bodies. Some will have an advantage; some won't. But because we're infatuated with the social construct of maleness/femaleness, we have entirely unnecessary debates that miss the point. 

Oh, for goodness sake, do we have to start carding people in this thread to make sure that they are of drinking age before gaining admission?

Of course, even back in my day, there were high school and college kids who used fake IDs to sneak into bars so that wouldn't exactly be a foolproof plan.

No, but if they aren't going to contribute to the actual topic then maybe they shouldn't be in here messing with people. 

"Bickering, drama queens, or public calling out a fellow forum member will not be tolerated. Posts/threads perpetrating any sort of attack or drama will be removed on sight and warnings given to involved parties. This is a forum for helping each other build and mod, leave the drama at the door. "

And back in my day...Vanilla Ice though he could be as cool as the Fresh Prince by rapping to the jingle for Macaroni and Cheese.  Needless to say it didn't work.  Also, (your bonus fact for the day) the state police of Illinois got a ton of brand new squad cars when the production team for the Blues Brothers bought most of their existing ones for the movie.  Mall culture (how was that a thing?) was starting to die off and Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. were taking over as the main place to shop.   

in my day a smack in the fucking head was considered educational

Teachers used to haul you off to the office if you started shit on school grounds

Rollerskating backwards was considered a necessary dating skill

Left handed screw drivers actually existed

21 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Back in my day, VR required standing on a half-cage with a heavy visor on your head. The graphics were extremely low-res, you had no controls beyond gloves or other peripherals used to shoot enemies or touch simple objects, and it cost $10 for ten minutes.

Ahh yes crappy stick figure enemies in a wire-frame world. Well not actually even wire-frame.

19 hours ago, Aklaim said:

back in my days we played cowboys and indians whit toy guns and real bows (arrows whitout a tip atlest) how the hell did i survive as a kid :/ 

Good times. Low velocity toy bows with safety rubber tipped arrows, no danger there unless you go hit in the eye. Real metal toy guns so after you missed several times you could still pistol whip your buddy. Heck let's not forget the ever popular "lawn darts (jarts)".

• 2 weeks later...

Back in my day there weren't any advertisements on the net and you could filter the cookies by hand Javascript and CSS were brand new and mostly unused and if a webpage with all assets was larger than about 400Kb it was too big.

I still remember when Jurassic Park thought that playing a Quicktime movie in the default player could be passed off as live security camera footage and GopherVR could be passed of as "Unix".

On 3/7/2019 at 3:29 AM, wokking56 said:

back in my days we played cowboys and indians whit toy guns and real bows (arrows whitout a tip atlest) how the hell did i survive as a kid

oh the pain,still remember making hand made bows and arrows,I still have a couple of scars,the ever popular slingshot in the butt,Mums didn't care if you came home hurt,stating it's your own fault for being stupid

Back in my day... I rode my 20" BMX bike EVERYWHERE. Well, by "everywhere" I mean anyplace within 10 miles of home.

I'm the glorious product of "hands off" parenting. It's had its ups... and downs.

But, you know, I'd go and visit old childhood friends whose parents had moved them out to the 'burbs years before, and surprise the shit out of them...

Or, ride out to the best video/pinball arcade in the county, which was easily a 10-12 mile round trip. And then own the shit out of the games, and piss off the arcade owner, because his Joust machine didn't make any money with me around. :D

Welp... Those were the days! ?