What do you think about Vortex?

?????

Compared to NMM? It's an upgrade. Downloads big files better, installs things better, and launches faster. Now, if you're used to say, MO or something, it's probably worse, but the built in LOOT is handy, and it warns you of any conflicts. Once you figure out how to work the conflicts, it works pretty well. I've noticed a more stable game myself, and I've never had any problems installing mods from here either. I've only ever used it for Oldrim, so maybe it's got issues with the newer games, but thus far, I've had no problems.

Haven't upgraded to it yet. But do have some experience with it from a friend.

It seems like a fancy-smanshy GUI upgrade, not much more.

Pros:

I liked the pro-active warnings on mod load order and dependencies.

Cons:

Can't for the life of me figure out where to set the load order for mods. Looks like a GUI designer gone wild, introducing some kind of new-age-touch-pad-generation (aka millenials) interface which blatantly ignores the fact that only PC users are using this program. Lots of black and green. Banners to make them more money and eat from your bandwidth. And likely to spy on you.

from what i have seen it's a:

"useless piece of shit that does not do what it's fucking supposed to" - many user messages 2018.

"unusable trash" - even more user messages 2018.

"another reason to stay with mod organizer" - some users 2018.

i myself will be staying with manually installing everything.

1 hour ago, worik said:

:classic_ohmy: Say again. What?!

Reveal hidden contents

?????

:classic_angry:

Notice the banners on top 'go premium' and on the right, where there's space for several ads.

I'm hoping it'll just be Nexus stuff, but I fear the worst. I hope their security is good, as likely, this app will have a lot more privileges on your machine than a regular browser does. (Yet another entry for hackers to abuse).

image.png.2889ca5f73ad51d2757cb5e7147e70a1.png

2 hours ago, Destroyah340 said:

NMM hasnt failed me yet so am not botherin to upgrade. Plus itd be a pain in the ass to reinstall my mods in the specific ways I have em set up

Same here and to use a cliche "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I guess I'm just indifferent about it

I downloaded and tried to convert to vortex, It was an absolute disaster for me,  There's a lot I had to do manually, like getting bodyslide to work properly, and getting F4SE to work well also.  My biggest problem was mod conflicts, and there was a ton of them,  your only options are , Load before...Load after or Add Variable.   Unlike NMM that has a better system with

, Yes to all, yes to mod, yes to folder and yes to file which I find a lot easier to do, Being some nice person on LL explained what all that means. Also I found I had to categorize everything myself, NMM drops mods into the proper category.    My solution was...being I have 168 active mods and did want to make a career converting to vortex was to reinstate nmm as my mod manager, get the mods tuned and running again, and forget I ever heard of vortex.

Which is what I did, I really didn't want to spend hours of free time getting my head wrapped around a mod  manager, when I already have NMM that works well.   Oh one more thing, I reinstalled Armor and weapons keyword mod....no shit it took 18 minutes to  download and install on vortex,  it takes under 3 minutes to do it on NMM, and this  I tested when I switched back.   That's just my experience, it might work nice for others.  Oh  pretty dashboard on vortex.  Only nice thing  I can say about it. lol

1 hour ago, Reginald_001 said:

Notice the banners on top 'go premium' and on the right, where there's space for several ads.

I'm hoping it'll just be Nexus stuff, but I fear the worst. I hope their security is good, as likely, this app will have a lot more privileges on your machine than a regular browser does. (Yet another entry for hackers to abuse).

image.png.2889ca5f73ad51d2757cb5e7147e70a1.png

Fortunately, the banners are just "GO PREMIUM" as pictured, which will let you download stuff faster.  The "no adverts" part of the pitch must apply to the Nexus site itself.

As for Vortex itself, it's definitely an upgrade from NMM, which was pretty awful.  Vortex didn't import my mods from NMM properly, most of them weren't tied to their Nexus page any more and had to be downloaded again.  Once I got the hang of the rule system, I found it works fine for managing conflicts.  Overall, I think it's worth using over manual installs, which is what I have done (and continue to do) with Oldrim for years, but it will take some fiddling to get things exactly how you want them.

I advise to use it for each person using SSE.

It is the only one that let's to do an installation of mods, resolving conflicts, for a beginner.

I agree the UI is quite complex sometimes.

But I will NEVER install mods by hand.

The only thing I regret is that I cannot really run CK from it, so modding (creating mods) is a pain compared to MO.

I been using it for a while Pro: 1.) bigger file downloads. 2.) Loot built in. 3.) easier access to main folder files, including Bodyslide, and other tools. 4.) Auto sorter and incompatibility detector. 5.) Tagger allowing you to adjust load order by either prioritizing mods above others if necessary. Like Gits precursor can be loaded before its body slide conversion, to avoid ctd or improper meshes in folders not suppose to be.

Cons. 1.) hard to remove mods from the manager entirely NMM made it easy to delete mods from list if you were not using it. Vortex takes forever to remove anything not sure if everyone else has this problem. 2.) It just seems like the good things are nice but feels clunky and I feel like my mods list is not as organized as I would like I miss categories and having mods put into different category trees. Maybe I missed this or didnt know it had this but I wish it had the ability to allow me to manually put the mods into the categories I set for the mods by what they are such as clothes in clothes folder, body and models in the respective folders.

I dont hate Vortex as much anymore but I still feel its not ready and has issues they have yet to resolve. I found most of my hate for was at first having to learn a brand new thing. It could be a great tool but for now I am gonna keep trying to learn how to use it better than i do now.

Check it (that new mod-organizer vortex) out and if you´re not then living satisfied I invite to check out WYRE BASH, which is perfectly working and doesn´t depend on letting you become a slave of your installation. With WB, Installations and deinstallations are very quickly possible - this is exactly for user´s, who don´t like to use mod-organizer.

If creating new mods, the NMM never was my way to use: Instead I have always CK open with all other tools I need and I start the game, as soon I have to look at the mod-result. Overtaking a change inside a mod is done within the loading-time of a "skyrim-load-game-access". If you edit "esm.-files", I have my working esp parallel aside (switched off, of course for the game) and wyre bash is at once able to convert it to "esm"  by one small click.

For a "normal user", wyre bash may be looking little complicated, but with some little time nvestment, you get a strong tool which can handle your mods very seriously.

I left the NMM because it has damaged 3 times my partitition because it forced me to upgrade and by that action, I lost my edited (modded contence-NMM is overwriting with the basic-mods-of course)...so, now you CAN use the new stuff (vortex), but take care and try to understand exactly what the tool is doing with your installation!!!

24 minutes ago, t.ara said:

WYRE BASH

ah yes, one of the fucking banes of my existence with it's "bash patches" forever messing things up for the creature framework's json files, causing people to nag at me about there horses not having dicks.

5 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

ah yes, one of the fucking banes of my existence with it's "bash patches" forever messing things up for the creature framework's json files, causing people to nag at me about there horses not having dicks.

ggg-u think, users who install horse-dicks are normal? WB is doing right in that case:-))?

if that´s known it´s really the best to install some stuff manually and let it (the Mod-Organizer, MO, WB or others) only check for the load-order.

Yeah, i too still rely on WB. It just workstm?

WB is for Bethesda games i play seriously. NMM is for Bethesda games that i play ironically ironically (F4 and SSE), but i might as well give that new one a shot if i ever do that again. Must have been a year since i last touched a Bethesda game, though. I've become spoiled. I want a game that works out of the box ;)

6 hours ago, t.ara said:

ggg-u think, users who install horse-dicks are normal? WB is doing right in that case:-))?

with MNCSLAL being at 305000 downloads i would say it's perfectly normal, so.....

cum with me, and you'll be, in a world of horse ejaculation

Take a look, And you'll see, Into my over lustful nature
We'll begin, With a spin, Traveling on The cock of my companion
What we'll see, Will defy, justification

i also was kidding, nothing serious:-) -of course is it the best, to find out, which way to go with your mod managing...i do not have an idea what means "bash patches"-lol-maybe i knew that some days ago......i use it (WB) for installations and deinstallations and the rest is manually added. 

So I think about Vortex, that I will not use it ever.

Archived