All things Cyberpunk 2077 General Thread

Not to be cynical...but I remembered after seeing the new spider-man game get downgraded graphically. And many big companies showcase amazing graphics, but they almost always downgrade at release

Don't be surprised if Cyberpunk 2077 looks worse at release. 

Witcher 3 looked amazing in their E3 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOkP7C0WrkU

Game looked nothing like that at release.

Now, I don't care about graphics. But companies should show what the game REALLY looks like. Not trick people into a better looking game. They can showcase ascii graphics, and if that was how the game looked, that be fine. I'd play it since I do like dwarf fortress, Aurora 4x (even harder than dwarf fortress) and Rimworld. But it always feels like a bait and switch when they falsely show better graphics than what it will be.

CD Projekt usually stay close to the showcases. (They did very few games, but the showcases of W2 and W3 were close enough compared to other companies.)

For sure you will need a PC similar to the one declared for the demo, but it will be similar. Probably not identical.

I am looking forward for the game, with the [not really] secret hope it will be more moddable than Witcher 3.

1 hour ago, Molevalence said:

Follow Yahtzee's view on games: All games are shit until they prove otherwise. You won't be disappointed and the games that do turn out good are all the better for it.

Funny enough, this actually works (for me)

If I decide to read nothing about the game, and have no hype and barely pay attention...then its released...I'd say 4 out of 5 times I'll actually legit enjoy the game and play it for a long time. If I read too much about a game and watch too many videos, then the vast majority of time I end up disappointed even if I try not to get too hyped about it. But just reading about the game and watching videos usually ends enough to disappoint lol.

Granted, I was hyped about Witcher 3 and despite the graphics being nerfed...I still enjoyed Witcher 3 a lot. I didn't like they gave the middle finger to their modding tools and gave up on it. They said they were going to have advanced tools, but maybe I, like some others, thought it meant skyrim level tools and they just meant basic tools. Dunno. The game was still fun.

Even if Cyberpunk 2077 ends up having nerfed graphics, I'll probably still enjoy it if they do a good job. Like I said, bad graphics don't ruin a game for me...I play dwarf fortress of all games and that is super light on graphics since its all ascii lol. I just wish developers were more honest with how the game will look, but they make it look super good pre-release just to generate false hype for graphics.

46 minutes ago, Sylandras said:

Funny enough, this actually works (for me)

If I decide to read nothing about the game, and have no hype and barely pay attention...then its released...I'd say 4 out of 5 times I'll actually legit enjoy the game and play it for a long time. If I read too much about a game and watch too many videos, then the vast majority of time I end up disappointed even if I try not to get too hyped about it. But just reading about the game and watching videos usually ends enough to disappoint lol.

Granted, I was hyped about Witcher 3 and despite the graphics being nerfed...I still enjoyed Witcher 3 a lot. I didn't like they gave the middle finger to their modding tools and gave up on it. They said they were going to have advanced tools, but maybe I, like some others, thought it meant skyrim level tools and they just meant basic tools. Dunno. The game was still fun.

Even if Cyberpunk 2077 ends up having nerfed graphics, I'll probably still enjoy it if they do a good job. Like I said, bad graphics don't ruin a game for me...I play dwarf fortress of all games and that is super light on graphics since its all ascii lol. I just wish developers were more honest with how the game will look, but they make it look super good pre-release just to generate false hype for graphics.

CDPR stated that they would release the REDKit to allow modding of Witcher 3. CDPR actually released the MODKit and stated they wouldn't release anything further. Some companies just don't like it when you want to alter what they worked on and feel you should just be stuck with their vision and be unable to do anything about it.

That's why I like Bethesda (Fallout New vegas/Fallout 3/Elder Scrolls) games, you have the tools available to change anything you like. Currently playing New vegas and there is A LOT of content that was cut so the games could run on the PS3 and Xbox360 yet the content was still cut on PC despite it being able to handle more.

6 hours ago, Andarus said:

Seriously, the Graphics from the Videos already look kinda terrible. It would be really hard to downgrade that even more. They could probably downgrade some LODs and stuff but not much more.

You really think this looks terrible?

Maybe you should go see an ophthalmologist.

If you watch the video in 1080p of course it looks like crap, just sayin.

The early Witcher 3 screens and footage were taken as the REDengine 3 was being developed. CDPR had no experience with open-world games and they overshot the mark. On top of that, they discovered that the original renderer wasn't going to look good during a full day and night cycle, so they ended up having to change that too. By the time the Blood and Wine expansion was finished, they had refined the engine even more, and updated it for Cyberpunk. CDPR also said that they weren't going to show anything of Cyberpunk 2077 until they were closer to release to avoid another situation like TW3. With a mature game engine, and some open-world experience, I don't expect much of a visual downgrade, if anything.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, CPU said:

CD Projekt usually stay close to the showcases. (They did very few games, but the showcases of W2 and W3 were close enough compared to other companies.)

For sure you will need a PC similar to the one declared for the demo, but it will be similar. Probably not identical.

I am looking forward for the game, with the [not really] secret hope it will be more moddable than Witcher 3.

have you seen this mod? ALL COMPANIONS

On 9/1/2018 at 10:43 PM, CPU said:

I not, I am too old for this modern sh**.
I'm waiting for it and if it not becomes developed, then I just say *C’est la vie* :classic_wink:

https://www.playnation.de/spiele-news/witcher-4/neuer-teil-wird-kommen-aber-nicht-witcher-4-heissen-id74889.html

https://www.giga.de/spiele/the-witcher-4/news/witcher-4-entwickler-stellt-neuen-teil-in-aussicht-der-aber-nicht-witcher-4-heissen-wird/

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2018 at 7:28 PM, Rokabur said:

CDPR stated that they would release the REDKit to allow modding of Witcher 3. CDPR actually released the MODKit and stated they wouldn't release anything further. Some companies just don't like it when you want to alter what they worked on and feel you should just be stuck with their vision and be unable to do anything about it.

That's why I like Bethesda (Fallout New vegas/Fallout 3/Elder Scrolls) games, you have the tools available to change anything you like. Currently playing New vegas and there is A LOT of content that was cut so the games could run on the PS3 and Xbox360 yet the content was still cut on PC despite it being able to handle more.

Companies are imaginary things built out of people who mostly do not adequately understand their coworkers work. Plus, most people just put in 8 hour days and then leave. (At least in western countries where that's sort of baked into the law...) So... the muddled predictions and goals implemented by people who don't actually know how anything gets done can be kind of amusing...

But the real downfall of all games is that they're just games.  And that means some people will like them and some will hate them.

"Cities? Can't you do something more *original*?" (Seriously, I was reading someone's writeup on 2077 yesterday which was roughly this - though way longer and wordier and lots of related complaints which I am leaving out.  ("Cyberpunk? Can't you do something more *original*?" ...)

Anyways... easy to complain, difficult to come up with good ideas for making things better (let alone actually make things - that takes time and the obstacles can be frustrating).

• 4 weeks later...

Last week i was having breakfast and read my daily newspapers, which i do because i'm really that old.

In the feuilleton was a photograph of a cowboy with a hunting bow, though after reading the headline it turns out that this was actually an article about Red Dead Redemption 2.

Then i realized that it is a Playstation-exclusive game, meaning that the live game is going to look 90% worse than the heavily edited promo trailers. And run with choppy 30fps at best.

Well no surprises here. I've also played Witcher 3 on max settings, and it looks great but nothing like the screenshots in the steam store. There are a lot of effects like the reflections / backlights / bloom which either don't exist in the live game or look much less impressive. The color grading is different. And most of the scenes don't happen while playing either, or at least you don't get to see them like this.

ss_ce1a78ce5d8f383b818c4af41ca8e1adf2bec

ss_dc33eb233555c13fce939ccaac667bc54e3c4

ss_908485cbb1401b1ebf42e3d21a860ddc53517

ss_107600c1337accc09104f7a8aa7f275f23cad

ss_eda99e7f705a113d04ab2a7a36068f3e7b343

Big minus for throwing away 3rd person and put only First person, after i hear that news my hype for cyberpunk 2077 drop a lot let's hope modders add 3rd person view.

Also lets call this insult is what CDPR said  after people on cyberpunk 2077 forum ask for 3rd person view : Cyberpunk 2077 won’t get a third-person camera and will remain a first-person title, CD Projekt Red recently confirmed.

Quest Designer Patrick Mills acknowledged that some players don’t enjoy first-person perspective in games, but that a third-person alternative will not be offered.

““We are firm in that decision,” he said, referring to first-person perspective.

“However, we’re very aware that a lot of people don’t like first-person, and there is a small number of people who can’t play first-person for a variety of reasons.”

Mills said that instead of a third-person perspective, CD Projekt Red will look at offering varying difficulty and sensibility options to try to win players over.

Are they kidding me what varying difficulty and sensibility options he is talking, and after that they say mirrors will be in game and we will add photo mod.

here is the link https://stevivor.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-wont-get-third-person-option/  

And yes The Witcher 3 on E3 look much much better, when he came out graphic was downgraded, also about moding tools as far as i know CDPR never released full moding tools. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2018 at 10:04 AM, Koca87 said:

Big minus for throwing away 3rd person and put only First person, after i hear that news my hype for cyberpunk 2077 drop a lot let's hope modders add 3rd person view.

Also lets call this insult is what CDPR said  after people on cyberpunk 2077 forum ask for 3rd person view : Cyberpunk 2077 won’t get a third-person camera and will remain a first-person title, CD Projekt Red recently confirmed.

Would be nice if they actually did add it in. If they look at Deus Ex. the first game. when you have conversations, it shows your character/ avatar. i usually use third person sometimes in fallout 3-4 and skyrim. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at a trend over many years: Developers create something amazing looking, then over time it does downgrade visually, till it's finally released to the public. If you play enough 'next gen games' on PC, you realize they need more than 5% of the PC owners to be able to run it.

Even with games which are released to the public, you still hear the outcry from those with older systems which can barely handle the games. Rarely, you get a release which offers a HD option, or some visual upgrade. Considering the publishers want to sell as many copies as possible while still being relevant, it's not surprising that Crysis still sets the bar for what is acceptable at release in regards to hardware being used.

I purchased my first nVidia card after buying Tomb Raider: Legend. I wanted the sweet graphics exclusive that came with the game, but needed a newer nVidia card to run. While many things looked better, it wasn't able to reproduce the 'wet-clothes which dry out' effect gotten on the default graphics setting.

One might think they would include graphics to keep the game looking amazing in 4-5 years as newer equipment is introduced, but realistically, they are more interested in selling us 3-4 new titles by that time.

MMO's like Conan, had a high entry bar, but needed that to stay relevant years later. Even LotRo received a graphics bump in resolutions, if not texture and lighting effects.

I look forward to seeing exactly what Cyberpunk has to offer when debuted.

Eh, I have no idea if I can run it but will be buying it anyway.

CDProject Red is a Polish company that is taking a stand against all the politics going on in gaming so even if I cant play it going to just buy it.  Its just win win, hope other companies are going to produce good games that don't bend a knee to politics but that feels like a dream right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As someone said above, I do not watch too much videos or articles about the game already so as not to spoil the surprises that the studio will offer us. In addition the downgrade of the graphics would be unlikely but even if he still has a tiny chance. I do not think they will do that, at the risk of degrading their superb reputation. In the end I will wait wisely the release of the game and do not leave home after that.