F3, FNV or F4?

I am completely new to the fallout series (been living under a rock).
Playing skyrim I really appreciated turning it into a sort of naughty sims medieval. I liked my game being open world, immersive and limitless....

I would like to take advantage of the steam sales and wondered which of the fallout games is more suitable to this playstyle. I understand Skyrim has had a much larger modding effort pu into it. Even so I wish to know which game has the best adult mods/normal mods in your opinion, and which one provides the best overall experience.

New Vegas all the way. Better quests. Many different ways to role-play.

Not as many sexmods as skyrim but it has more than Fallout 3 and 4 atm.

Only thing fallout 4 has that might keep you coming back to it, is the settlement building and great gunplay. Other than that, the game is shallow.

To not make it a 'I prefer this over that".

Fallout 3. Much like Skyrim in open ended gameplay. Actions you take in 1 area don't affect another area. Mainquest is interesting. Modding has completely stopped and the amount of mods is bad. plus another reason that I will discuss in Fallout New Vegas.   If you are going to get it. Get the complete edition as the DLC really fit in well with the rest of the gameplay.

Fallout New Vegas. Modding for this has steadily been declining, but Sexout contains a huge number of options and stuff for many different tastes. I found the mainquest less interesting and 'moving forward' in the game was less encouraged. Then again much better roleplaying and less shooting. The game engine is better then in Fallout 3, which brings me to the best mod for Fallout New Vegas, which is 'Tale Of Two Wastelands'.  If you have both Fallout New Vegas (+DLC) and Fallout 3 (+DLC), this mod ADDS Fallout 3(+DLC) to Fallout New Vegas. It gives you the option to start in either game, and you can travel between those 2 worlds by train (if you're skilled enough). Also all mods (some require some work) for fallout 3 can be made to work with the TaleOfTwoWastelands. If you have a computer that's younger than 5 years, you should be able to run TaleOfTwoWastelands.

If you are going to get it. Get the complete edition as the DLC really fit in well with the rest of the gameplay.

Fallout 4 (Least experience with). The trend of current times is that action games get more RPG-elements, and RPG-games get more action-elements and Fallout 4 is a good example of following this trend. The open world is very much like Skyrim, in that it is 'wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle'. However, because a lot of RPG-elements have been removed, or simplified, this feeling is even more present in the game. While the shooting/melee gameplay has been greatly improved, the story telling is much more cliché and NPC's more same-old-same-old. I finished one unmodded playthrough and felt that the ending was rushed and boring. DLC-wise I have no idea as I only played 'Far Harbour' and 'Robot factory' (Or whatever the latter one is called) and this first was good and the second was like Hearthfire for Skyrim.

Also (and this is heresay) I heard that Bethesda is still actively updating the game engine to get their microtransactions in (a.k.a. Creation Club mods), causing the F4se (SKSE) to break. Lastly, while I expect that there will be many more mods for Fallout 4 as for Fallout New Vegas eventually, last year the quality of the Fallout 4 mods was not really great and the framework was still being improved and altered.

Fallout 76 from what I've seen so far will only contain Bethesda approved microtransactions (A.K.A. Mods) and will try to discourage mods outside of Creation Club. Also the complete lack of NPC's has me wonderingif you can even call it an RPG.

Me... I still prefer fallout 3 and have had more enjoyment overall than in NV or fallout 4, 4 is nice visually but it feels more generic and settlement building is ok but meh too, NV for me was to bland, having to cook, make ammo yawnnn.... plus I hated the fact you killed one or two of a faction and you'd be attacked way to much by over accurate enemies wanting revenge in the most awkward of times / locations 

Fallout 3 is good and worth playing but you will find that because it was released for Windows 95 or 98 you have to do some hoop jumping / lunar dance voodoo stuff to make it work (how Steam gets away with selling it but not fixing it to run on a modern PC is beyond me).
New Vegas and 4 are also great to play. But they aren't in any linked story line so it doesn't matter what order you play them.

On 6/21/2018 at 9:26 PM, wulfgar677 said:

I am completely new to the fallout series (been living under a rock).
Playing skyrim I really appreciated turning it into a sort of naughty sims medieval. I liked my game being open world, immersive and limitless....

I would like to take advantage of the steam sales and wondered which of the fallout games is more suitable to this playstyle. I understand Skyrim has had a much larger modding effort pu into it. Even so I wish to know which game has the best adult mods/normal mods in your opinion, and which one provides the best overall experience.

FNV is much better game with better rpg experience, plot and replayability.

F4 is a shallow sandbox that requires 240plus mods to be funny and playable. But its better for waifus/husbandos, has better sexmods and lewd mods in general. And it also has much better shooting mechanics so you can play that game like a straight up FPS with some effort put into modding. 

Get both with every DLC. 

P.s. Fallout 3 is shit. It combines every flaw of FNV and F4 with absolutely zero positive sides. 

P.s. Fallout 3 is shit. It combines every flaw of FNV and F4 with absolutely zero positive sides. 

FNV was made on Fallout 3 Engine if You didn't know, lol. No Fallout 3 would mean no FNV. And personally I love F3 much more than FNV - atmoshpere, main quest, world design, everything.

has better sexmods 

F4 sex framework is buggy as hell, unstable and has much less possibilities than FNV Sexout which latest Beta is most stable sex framework I've seen in Bethesda modding.

7 minutes ago, Canaris said:

Thank you Cpt Obvious. I would die like a english child under a Van of Peace without your input. 

Dont know what the fuck is that suppose to prove seeing how FNV engine is probably the worst part of that game but hey...

You are always welcome. :)

Calling great game that many people likes a "shit" without mentioning that it's your personal opinion is at least not objective. More likely is just childish.

3 hours ago, Allnarta said:

You are always welcome. :)

Calling great game that many people likes a "shit" without mentioning that it's your personal opinion is at least not objective. More likely is just childish.

Ahh the classic "People, eat shit. Milions of flies cant be wrong" argument.. 
F3 is objectively worse than both FNV and F4.

Its a worse RPG than FNV, with less choices and consequences, less ways to solve quests, lore rape by Bugfesta ( Enclave, SM, BoS on the East Coast etc - no matter how Bugfesta fanboys try to excuse that its still lore rape ), no factions to join (  getting non-standard game over by trusting Autum is not a "join his faction" thing ), enormous plot holes etc etc. 
And its worse FPS/waifu-lewds game than F4 with janky controls, wild bullet spread, absurd stiff animations, ugly as all hell graphics etc. 

If OP asked if he should play F3 or some other older rpg game like Two Worlds or Gothic or whatever - i would say that depends on what you look for, what setting you prefer, what you want to play and stuff like that. 
F3 vs FNV/F4 is absolute zero contenst - FNV/4 just curbstomps 3 and leaves it to die no matter what you are looking for. 

29 minutes ago, Canaris said:

F3 vs FNV/F4

It's a great idea to put good FNV and bad F4 (IMO) in one line, really... It's like comparing Morrowind and Skyrim, who would win, huh?

If comparing only F3 and F4 I'd choose F3 simply because it's more RPG than F4, at least it have something that makes it more Fallout than F4, as for me... (Yes Lore is a bit broken, but not as much as in F4)

45 minutes ago, Canaris said:

FPS

About FPS in F4 part is meh... i'd better prefer something that looks more like FPS than it's made in F4, like Doom or Wolfenstein(The same bethesda as publisher) that is true FPS not that cut part in F4. (I know that Id Software helped a bit to bethesda to make FPS part a bit better in F4)

49 minutes ago, Canaris said:

absurd stiff animations, ugly as all hell graphics

Even in F4 it's the same thing as for me, but now it's more unoptimized, broken as hell the game engine, poor textures and shaders(shader system a bit expanded, but still bad), animation and skeleton system that don't even support jiggle bones without a deep work at the engine and the skeleton itselves... pfft (most of this problems also can be found in previous bethesda's game on the same Gamebryo/Creation engine)

Only one(two) good thing in F4 that i can find, it's more RAM and Multicore/MultiThreading support, and that's all

25 minutes ago, Neutron_rus said:

It's a great idea to put good FNV and bad F4 (IMO) in one line, really... It's like comparing Morrowind and Skyrim, who would win, huh?

Some of us like both. Morrowind for its story, sheer depth of everything, and greater variety of weapons. Skyrim because it's basically an easily modded sex simulator. :classic_tongue:

7 hours ago, Resdayn said:

I prefer New Vegas.

But if buy both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, you can play both in TTW.

That's what I was going to say. Tale of Two Wastelands is a great way of getting the best of FO3 and FONV together. I do prefer FONV just because it's more in line with the ambiance of the Fallout series than FO3 or FO4.

18 hours ago, Neutron_rus said:

Well yeah, its a good idea. Both FNV and F4 are better games than F3 - for their own reasons but better nonetheless. 

Which Fallout would I recommend? It really depends on what you are looking for and how much modding you want to put into each game. I do recommend all DLCs and the unofficial patches for each at least.

Fallout 3 felt really fresh back then and it was the most fun to explore, especially with the DC interiors mod. The game has a good main story line and at least 2 interesting DLCs, one of which takes place directly after the events of the main game and change the game from a game with a definitive end into an open ended endeavor.

The engine can be a bit unstable but I found it to be pretty stable even with 4096² textures and a heap of mods. It needs a good amount of mods to make the gunplay better, much of which was incorporated into FNV later on. I encountered 1, 2 crashes in about 70 hours of gameplay.

FNV on the other hand focuses more on a conflict between three big parties in the Mojave desert with tons of different factions, gameplay impacts and RPG elements, so it's a lot closer to traditional rpgs than first person shooters. The main storyline is by far the most interesting between the three bethesda published fallouts and it has some fantastic story mods (most of them by someguy2000) which really added to the game. Also has the biggest sex mod selection of all fallouts to date.

DLCs are stand alone stories for the most part but each has hidden messages to give you some insight from a different point of view (you meet a lot of the characters leaving notes in one area in different DLCs, so keep an eye out - it also explains a bit on the backstory of the Legion and the state of the Mojave.

Right now, I do not have any crashes, but I need to restart the game every 4 to 6 hours because the ram buffer gets full and the game gets laggy.

F4 is a bit of hit and miss for me. Best graphics, stable engine, huge world, but I miss the impact of the faction systems FNV had and the main storyline is kind of shallow and has more plotholes than Swiss Cheese. There are a few good storymods by now, but having a voiced protagonist is a setback in the quality of those. Best decide for yourself if you like them or not. Has basebuilding and a lot of mods for visuals, clothing. Has the best out of the box gunplay and lots of places to search, most of which feel like a big loop to me. Grab a lootbox at the end, rinse and repeat. Can be tricky if you want to streamline gunplay, mods and armor parts into a more coherent package (like wearing armor parts on every clothing). It's more of an expansion to the F3 formula but can wear itself off over time. Also tricky to mod when you use the script extender as you need to update your mods regularly due to Creation Club updates (which proved too much for me after months and months of doing it so I finally deinstalled the game for now).

DLCs are okay. I personally liked the Far Harbor one, it had a unique feel to it.

Haven't encountered any real crashes so stability is good, but ever since Nvidia updated their graphics drivers the game's loading times are slow as ****

So it really depends on what you want out of game. Best exploration? Stay with F3 and the interiors mod. Best RPG experience with tons of side quests and people to get to know? Try FNV. Best gunplay and streamlined experience? F4. You choose. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

In my Opinion I prefer F03 over NV and FO4, NV is a greatly done Total Conversion of Fallout, but there are so many things wrong with NV too many radiant quest and add-on packs 20 or more pop up right at the Beginning of the game before you can even start and the loading screen takes forever and even longer if you install TTW, Plus Obsidian Broke the Barter System so if a Vendor gets more than 50,000 caps you can not sell anything to them or buy stuff cause it'll make the game crash, so no increased Caps Mods.. 

When ever I play FO3 I always have my Vendor Caps Mod, for when you first start so you can sell your junk. Doesn't work for NV.. The things I do Like for NV is the Actual "Chainsaw" not a Ripper, and the dear hunter thing were when you shot a target and they die instantly it's like a Insta-kill Shot View, that is badass, but it sucks that NV doesn't have the Rag Stag of FO4 for you to Hunt.. I don't know why someone doesn't make a Mod to remove the Load Screens I have tried everything to no avail..  

F04 is a love hate relationship sure it is awesome with it's settlement building, but I here people all the time talk about how it is a great FPS shooter, but it sucks as a FPS. You can not get in a single Instant Kill with a Gun, it takes sometimes several minutes to kill a single enemy with any gun in the game. Then Dual Welding has Existed in PC games since Wolfenstein 3D had a spin off called ROTT but Bethesda didn't put this in FO4, and every gun in the game even a pistol is held with two hands, and you have your gun out and the Player keeps putting it off to the side right when you are trying to shot a enemy.. F04 Sucks a FPS IMO.. And don't get me started on the Recoil.. Also why did they leave out Prostitution both previous games had that at least, in the base game. I am referring to for NPCs like Settlers they could made you money.. Like As a Pimp..   

give me Fallout 3 or NV any day, you can kill enemy's with one shot heck there are videos up on YouTube showing heads getting blown of with Teddy Bears, as far a Mods for Fallout 3 I don't think it is dead yet.. Modders come back to it eventually.. I think exclusively I am a FO3 Modder more than half my Mods are for it 17, like just 5 for NV and 1 so far for F04..  the loading time alone makes all the difference but you have to get it configured correctly to avoid lock ups and stuff on windows 7 especially 64bit windows, but F03 crashed more on XP an it was designed for it.. FO3 will still crash on you occasionally as it was never fixed by Bethesda, cause they are idiots, who make stupid games that we love.. 

Like the others have said it really depends on what you're looking for. I'd say go New Vegas if you want the stronger rpg. New Vegas has drastically better quests than bethesda have ever made. There are very few uninteresting quests in new vegas (radiant, go here kill that ) , and most if not all give you different branching paths to choose based on how you want to roleplay. New vegas also took many steps to make the world feel more real and interconnected. A big change often neglected is that there is no essential npcs (except for children), meaning every quest has to account for the potential death of every single npc. Helping factions can brickwall you with other quests and companions, unlike fallout 4 where you can join everyone and save the last mission in their quest arc for when you want to choose. Factions are well written to the point that people still argue today which is the best choice for the Mojave. To add on that New Vegas explores the grey morality of fallout that bethesda tends to shy away from, like fallout 1 and 2. Compare that to the minutemen in fallout 4 for example, they are the "good guys" but if you look at their "faction" you realize that they're hardly even a faction. They have no real leadership, sure you could count the player but that's cheating because it's essentially a blank slate where you can make up literally anything you want and you'll never see it represented in game. I mean, how do they even function? They are militia citizens right? where do they get their supplies? self funded? taxes? how do they tax? do they act as a police force or strictly a defense force? who makes the rules for each settlement? The whole "we protect people to protect people" is just an empty statement that doesn't work once you get out of very small settlements, sooner or later you're going to need to have a government, which the minutemen have no answers for, yet. If you find yourself asking why things work and the inner politics of factions, then fallout new vegas will give you the best answers.

But I'm rambling on bethesda's poor writing, i'm sure if you look up on youtube why people dislike fallout 4, it's gonna be because of the story and roleplay potential. That said fallout 4 isn't a terrible game. The shooting mechanics are vastly improved. The game feels complete (for a bethesda game) right out the box polish wise compared to 3 and new vegas, meaning it needs very few mods to actually be playable. The settlement system is unique to fallout 4, whether that interests you idk. Fallout 4 probably has the most modding potential, but New vegas is currently beating it IMO, fallout 4 modding tools for the most part, barely have functionality compared to skyrim and below. ENB functionality is both shit for all the fallouts so that doesn't matter much if you want an ENB. As for fallout 3? idk at this point just buy it and new vegas and install TTW, the engine upgrade is worth the price imo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 1:04 PM, wulfgar677 said:

Thank you all for your replies. Seems to me I'll get FNV once it's on sale again!

Why not get TTW instead? That way you can play both FO3 and FNV at the same time. Also a huge new unofficial dlc is coming in October called New California. It is recommended that you play FO3 first- it is a very good game- since the timeline of the games starts there. BTW- Sexout and most other mods work in TTW- meaning in FO3 and FNV.

Really, it depends on what you want. We're on an adult modding site, so I think it should be said that Fallout 4 seems to have more adult-oriented mods mods than Fallout 3 and New Vegas combined, as in Skimpy/Sexy clothes, body mods/customization, and so on. It's kind of a shame really, the amount of outfit mods for New Vegas and Fallout 3, or the lack-thereof. The only games that can match, and even pass Fallout 4's amount are Oblivion and Skyrim.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 7:23 AM, caweb said:

fallout 4 modding tools for the most part, barely have functionality compared to skyrim and below.

That I totally Agree With That as I can not even edit NPC's using the FO4 Creation Kit.  I thought I was being a little harsh on FO4 but I just saw what Diamond City is like, and thought WTF..  I would go with New Vegas and get FO3 too,. Like everyone has suggested you shouldn't really play either with out TTW.

As for Modding I think it depends on what you want to Mod like F03 has a lot potential for Weapon Modifications because it lacks so much for Weapons, NV has too many Guns IMO and FO4 has too many weapon mods IMO, I don't feel any use for Modding a weapon to do something in FO4 because that Weapon can be Modded in game, what is the use. I would like to see Melee Weapons Mods for F04 though, because in New Vegas all Melee Weapons can install two different Mods on a single Weapon in FO4 most Melee Weapons have a single Modification that can be installed in game.  Workshop Mods FO4, Adult Mods NV, although FO4 has more stuff it all looks and feels better in NV with actual "Prostitution".     

• 4 weeks later...

I played FO4 for about 260 hours and I'm utterly bored with it and the shitty roleplay experience it offers.

The lighting makes people look awful and it's hard to make an attractive character. I expected more.

FO3/NV/TTW about 3700 hours and I still play it. I love my character and she has grown and changed

along with me over the years. It's also easier to make your own mods. Nuff' said.

Archived