Preferred Character Gender

Veladarius

Preferred character gender  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Which genders do you prefer to play or would if there was more content for them? Select all that apply.

• Male
    • Female
    • Female based shemale or futa
    • Femboy or Male Crossdresser (male with feminine body)
    • Beast Races (Khajiit, Orcs or custom)
    • Other - specify in the comments

This poll is closed to new votes

So, We all know that Female based content is pretty much dominates here on LL but there is interest beyond that. This poll is to find out how much support for content there is for the various genders / races there is (both for clothing/armor/accessories and mods with quest content). Would you try something other than female if there was content to support it?

Edit: While I prefer to play female based characters I support having as much diversity as possible as it opens up many options.

Always seem to play a male characters! I tried playing females, however I find it way too distracting, which is weird because I don't think I see myself in any of the characters that I play! I see them as just other characters. Also males just seem to be more badass, which I see as practically the point to play these games!

In all of my Sexlab-centric playthroughs, I use futa characters (and mainly stick to F/F content), for the simple reason that I don't find the male characters too pleasant to look at, and it gives me more options than a purely female build.

For similar reasons, I usually stick with human or elf characters.

You can call them shallow reasons, but so far they're the only reasons I've found to push me towards any option at all.

I usually play female characters. For two reasons, really.

1) I might as well look at something nice while playing, and frankly the male form just isn't quite as interesting. What can I say... I'm a geology fan, and the rolling hills and valleys of the female anatomy are more interesting than the plains and single spire of the male.

This makes absolutely zero sense, because I always play in first person and almost never actually look at my characters, but hey - I've never claimed to make sense.

2) I got into the habit of playing mostly female characters back with Morrowind, because females always seemed to have higher base stats in the ones I like - females made for better rogues and mages, generally. A trend common in many games.

As for race, I usually play dunmer or redguards, with a side order of nords and bosmer and just a sprinkling of khajiit. Bake for 30 minutes and serve.

It was different with Daggerfall, where I almost always played altmer, because I'm a massive munchkin. Altmer + critical weakness to paralysis is some good min-maxing. :smile:

In games where race doesn't make any difference in stats or skills, it's pretty much random from game to game. I still do usually play female characters though, even when gender makes no difference either.

27 minutes ago, TanookiTamaTachi said:

In all of my Sexlab-centric playthroughs, I use futa characters, for the simple reason that I don't find the male characters too pleasant to look at, and it gives me more options than a purely female build.

For similar reasons, I usually stick with human or elf characters.

You can call them shallow reasons, but so far they're the only reasons I've found to push me towards any option at all.

I wouldn't call them shallow reasons, it is just what you prefer. What I want to find out is what would you play if there was content for it to see what sort of things are not getting enough support.

My choices depend highly on what sort of playthrough I'm doing. In my saves with "normal" mods, I use a male character because there's little mechanical difference between the genders. However, in my saves with "adult" mods I use a female character because 1. it's better-supported (most adult mods only support females and assume you're playing as one) and 2. it's a closer match for my preferences (it minimizes the amount of MM pairings I'd see by ensuring my character won't be part of one).

The only adult mod I know of that I'd want to use a male character for is Slaverun Reloaded's slaver path, but even with that, I'd rather use a female character because there's also a female slaver path and I could keep using the other female-centric mods I like.

Females and futas. Females because, as George Carlin once put it, "Men's magazines are filled with pictures of naked women. Women's magazines are filled with pictures of naked women. Women's bodies are beautiful. Men's bodies are hairy, disgusting things that shouldn't be seen by the light of day."

Futas because there are times I want to play a character that has the best of both worlds. Not that that many animations account for futas.

21 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Females and futas. Females because, as George Carlin once put it, "Men's magazines are filled with pictures of naked women. Women's magazines are filled with pictures of naked women. Women's bodies are beautiful. Men's bodies are hairy, disgusting things that shouldn't be seen by the light of day."

^This. Pretty much. Though in my case the latter part of this statement only applies to human/humanoid males; beast race males are fine by me.

There isn't much content tailored for male player characters, though, which limits the options when playing as one and kinda makes it lose its appeal. I'm only talking about adult mods here, mind you; IMO "standard" playthroughs work mostly the same for males as they do for females with maybe the exception of females still having way more custom armors/clothing available, but that was kind of to be expected.

21 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Futas because there are times I want to play a character that has the best of both worlds. Not that that many animations account for futas.

^Also this. In Oblivion it worked out pretty well so I only used female characters or futas, but never males (why lock yourself into the "less appealing" half of it when you could have the most appealing one and the possibility of having both halves at the same time instead?).

In Skyrim, not so much, due in part to the way SOS works and the whole "different placement between male and female schlongs" that means futas require (non-existant as of yet) custom-built anims or else alignment is off everywhere which ruins the fun. If these issues could be sorted out, though... I'd be all for that.

My guess is the poll will heavily favour female characters on this forum, if the poll was taken from somewhere mainstream the poll would massively shift the opposite way.

Same things with Mass Effect, the sexy images, clips games etc usually figure with Femshep and are posted by people who like being a woman.

When Bioware took an official poll the 'Default' male Shepard absolutely smashed it.

1 minute ago, Blaze69 said:

In Skyrim, not so much, due in part to the way SOS works and the whole "different placement between male and female schlongs" that means futas require (non-existant as of yet) custom-built anims or else alignment is off everywhere which ruins the fun. If these issues could be sorted out, though... I'd be all for that.

I've found that the PSQ Transformation Package and the Equippable SOS Schlong mods align things quite well on the body. There are also a couple of futa animation sets in either FunnyBizness's or Leito's SLAL Animation Packs. Not nearly enough, IMO. There's also a futa SMP skeleton, but I haven't made the switch to SMP yet so I don't know how well it works. I think I'll go check out the Futa Content Thread to see if there's anything more.

Prefer to play as a maledom slaver who cleans up the wilds and sells female bandits and baddies to fund his adventures (and have a little fun on the side.) The reality of the situation is there aren't enough mods that do this type of gameplay well, so I mostly get bored of that and end up playing a female PC. I generally make new profiles forever trying to find the perfect balance of sexy situations and functional gameplay (a monumental task).

3 hours ago, TheAwesomeTRex said:

Always seem to play a male characters! I tried playing females, however I find it way too distracting, which is weird because I don't think I see myself in any of the characters that I play! I see them as just other characters. Also males just seem to be more badass, which I see as practically the point to play these games!

You see here I think that women are more badass since they are on average physically weaker but do the same feeds a male protagonist would do.

That means the women are even more out of the norm than the men in those scenarios.

I am not trying to argue your point though, I do understand what you are getting at.

I almost always play female characters. Women interest me more than men, for various reasons, and I never play rpgs as though I am the character. Rather, I'm the angel and demon on their shoulders.

What I've tended to have the most fun with, though, is something that really makes my character unique compared to everyone else. I've played dragon-skin characters with horns, tail and wings, deer characters with hooves, antlers and bambi tail, and I'm actually currently playing a fairy with animated wings and real flying, plus quite a bit of the wildlife flagged as friendly through One With Nature. All of those characters took lots of different mods, plenty of imagination, and often my own cobbled together plugin to make work. But she was always still just a Nord or Breton as far as everyone else in Skyrim was concerned. The best I could do to get people to react to her was go naked and use the humorous naked comments mod - Nazeem declaring that in all his years he's never seen such a thing as she walks by works quite nicely!

I've flirted with a bit of futa content as well. Despite female characters and content dominating, there's a surprising lack of pure lesbian animations around. Strap-ons and schlongs are everywhere, so I decided to just accept it and put them to better use. I've had a character who was the only woman in Skyrim with a penis, as well as one who was the only person without one. There aren't too many mods around that respect sexlab gender over actual gender though, so even futa characters flagged as male often get forced into a limited number of lesbian animations where the extra bits don't make sense. In the end I've settled on the equipable schlong as the strap-on for sexlab with the meshes and textures tweaked to make it a transparent glowing blue, as if conjured up like a bound weapon whenever a bit of extra tackle is needed. It would be nice if it had some visual and sound effects when it appeared and vanished, but it works to give the impression that magic makes the one wearing the thing get an extra kick out of it than she would if wearing just a piece of plastic or rubber.

Not sure if any of that rambling will be of help, but there it is!

I'd guess femboy content is perhaps the most lacking out of the poll options, though I have no idea how much demand there is for it. I'd never say never about anything. If it's there I'd be likely to try it eventually to give it a chance. I didn't expect to get anything out of futa, but to be honest it turned out to be more interesting than I'd thought.

1 hour ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I've found that the PSQ Transformation Package and the Equippable SOS Schlong mods align things quite well on the body. There are also a couple of futa animation sets in either FunnyBizness's or Leito's SLAL Animation Packs. Not nearly enough, IMO. There's also a futa SMP skeleton, but I haven't made the switch to SMP yet so I don't know how well it works. I think I'll go check out the Futa Content Thread to see if there's anything more.

Actually, I don't have any problems with "things aligning on the body", if by that you mean schlongs conforming to the N/PC's body and not floating around or having seams. With the Bodyslide sets for the schlongs, that's not an issue.

The problem comes from the actual SL scenes, because (good) animators fit their anims to the male SOS placement and rig to make sure everything aligns properly and everything goes in the place it should; most noticeable with the UUNP Special body and proper HDT collision setup. Thing is, the female SOS bones are in a different position than the male ones, and such if an anim was built for the male placement, it will not align with female schlongs (See my post in the Futa Thread here and the next two as well for more info).

Leito does not have any futa-specific anims, I know that for a fact; and while I haven't looked at FunnyBizness' ones (so there may be some), from what I've seen not only do their guro/rape/necro/aggressive themes not suit me, but their general quality leaves... much to be desired specially when compared to other animators like Leito. For the record, I only know of one anim that was built using the female SOS placement (aka for futas): it was created by Anub, and it is Male x Futa (with the futa in the "recieving" position). So there isn't much that can be done with that.

I've found the best (but still not actually good IMO) way to go around that is basically to do what @SleepyJim suggested: have SL equip the schlong during scenes as a "strapon" and make it look ethereal so it can be handwaved as being some kind of Conjuration magic (would love some custom visuals and effects for it as well).

Should also mention that there is pratically no gear that takes futas and their extra anatomy into account and there is no "smooth" way to do so due to engine limitations (without the player using specific "futa" versions of items or something like that), which detracts from the experience and makes it look very jarring when undressing, for example.

I prefer playing as a beast race mostly as a futa because i like looking at the female form, get the best of both worlds, also i like the exoticness with the beast races even though most of the content doesn't support them. 

15 minutes ago, Blaze69 said:

The problem comes from the actual SL scenes, because (good) animators fit their anims to the male SOS placement and rig to make sure everything aligns properly and everything goes in the place it should; most noticeable with the UUNP Special body and proper HDT collision setup. Thing is, the female SOS bones are in a different position than the male ones, and such if an anim was built for the male placement, it will not align with female schlongs (See my post in the Futa Thread here and the next two as well for more info).

Kurg4n's pack has some great animations and also seems geared for futas or shemales (sorry if this word offends anyone) at least.

3 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

There isn't much content tailored for male player characters, though, which limits the options when playing as one and kinda makes it lose its appeal. I'm only talking about adult mods here, mind you; IMO "standard" playthroughs work mostly the same for males as they do for females with maybe the exception of females still having way more custom armors/clothing available, but that was kind of to be expected.

Part of the reason for the poll is to see how much interest there is for content other than females, I am hoping it will show there is enough interest for male content so mod makers would be more willing to accommodate them. For Captured Dreams pretty much all of the dialogue has both male and female specific dialogue where applicable though there is some things that is more directed towards females but that is more due to npc preferences and story than anything else anymore. Also it helps with translating the mod as many languages don't have the equivalent to 'them' or 'they' or other gender neutral pronouns or are not very adaptable to them so I started making male / female dialogue. I know making it for both sexes can be a pain to do at times but I am all for expanding the boundaries.

For those playing shemales or futa the Sexlab Inflation Framework has settings for Shemales and Futa and can override SexLab so it can treat your character as a male instead of female. Just don't let it overwrite DD's scripts, it still works fine with it.

I'm not really sure why, but i've been playing female characters in RPGs since 1998 with Baldurs Gate, so... the view was a difference of 3 pixels or something like that. In another post related to this topic i've been speculating that for me the point of role playing is to play somebody else and female characters offer more options not to be me. ;)

Besides that i actually enjoy the view of the jiggling butt of my character now. :smile:

I'd enjoy more mods for male characters, but any NPC interaction from male character to female NPC feels far too impersonal currently. The only way of getting some sort of feeling of personal experience from a female character currently, I feel, is with a female player character and various mods. 

To elaborate - female NPCs are blank slates, with very little personality, preference, uniqueness or agency to speak of. Playing a female character at least gives the character agency, making anything affecting the character more impactful. 

I play exclusively male for Skyrim.

1. I too like looking at the female form more, however (for Hetro play) I do not subscribe to the view that that should mean a female avatar since (from my point of view) in the context of LoversLab mods, that'd mean looking at one female body (the PC) having sex with a host of male NPCs as opposed to getting to admire 100s of female bodies as my avatar has sex with them.

I should clarify for the purpose of this poll though, that the above doesn't mean I care about Male content in the sense of armor/body/textures and such. It's the opposite. A reasonable body, a schlong and vanilla armor suits me fine.  Meanwhile I use almost every mesh, texture Wigs/teeth/eyes/body-hair mods available to customize/trick out females. (And with the aid of Visual transfer tool, every single female NPC in my game is customized - even the orc miners that never leave the mine or the wounded soldiers in the Stormcloak camps.)  Also every named male that can be changed to female is (hearthfire bards, Cicero, the Courier, houscarls, Hiemskr etc.)

2. Would (even) more female content entice me to change my PC to female? Not in the context of this game as I still do play it as such and not just use it like a simulator. It is in "Victims" (and creatures) where the mods skew heavily female. Consensual (Lovers comfort, Romance, SLEN, SSX etc.) Seems fairly balanced for either sex IMO. In Fall Out - where we are just some random from a vault - playing as a sometimes abused "shattered heroine" is cool.  However, in Skyrim we are the mythical Dragonborn - a once in generations warrior ala Achilles or Miyamoto Musashi (is Achilles going to get raped by some random randy shopkeeper or mud crab? Enslaved by bandits or cursed loot etc? I think not) - playing as a victim just doesn't feel right. For me, this game is built to be played as an arrogant intimidating aggressor.

For example, in my current game, I am role-playing like I was Bhaal (Baldurs Gate) or Ego the Living Planet (GotG2) - the object of which is to get every named female NPC pregnant (Using Hentai Pregnancy and Children plus Soulgems mods - 10% chance/10day gestation). Hey, the Dragon-seed is just as important as the Bhaal-Spawn/Ego-essence, it is my duty to try to pass it on!  This would never work the opposite way (getting a female PC pregnant at least once by every named male NPC in the game)  - only being able to gestate one Dragon-Seed egg baby at a time would take forever.

Anyway, interesting survey.

22 hours ago, Fakenet said:

You see here I think that women are more badass since they are on average physically weaker but do the same feeds a male protagonist would do.

That means the women are even more out of the norm than the men in those scenarios.

I am not trying to argue your point though, I do understand what you are getting at.

Id say physically weaker means a little less in Skyrim than in real life! For one there is magic, and on the other side there are mods! Have you seen what most female characters wear, they are half naked most of the time. So realizim is a bit out of the question at that point! It's as real as you want it to be.

The thing is, male characters sell the badass part much better than female characters do especially if we're talking about fighting open battles and cutting enemies in half! And that's normal, its as it should be. Female characters however can sell the agile "Will only kill if I have to" part of it better than most male characters I've seen, at least they do it with more style. But this is all personal opinion, I wouldn't think too much about it.

Archived