sse or not to sse that is the question

darkconsole

374 members have voted

1. 1. sse or not to sse

• go oldrim
    • go newrim
    • neither of those are fallout 4

been dicking around with skyrim special edition this past week. as a game, i am kind of sold on it. looks great, no enb needed, which means its running at full 60fps (oldrim+enb is like 28fps for me). the new cbbe is stupid smooth, and alternate start is already done and working well. skse64 actually testable and threatening to be a serious thing, the only two things really keeping me from playing it for serious is racemenu and skyui. succesfully ported the buttplug over today, for the most part painless. the nifs were not 100% compatible, which means after exporting from max there is yet another thing we have to do to make them playable, but it wasn't bad either.

but it /was/ enough work, also i see some new scripting features being added, and i can already tell you now that i just do not have the energy to maintain both old skyrim and new skyrim versions of all my mods.

i am a scripter, and when i use a new feature i am not going to sit there and write a work around for a version that does not have new feature. most of you who follow my mods probably know that already just based on how anal i am about you getting the latest papyrus util.

so the question i have is, what is the current populations opinion? how butthurt would you be if i just stopped oldrim? how butthurt would you be if i just never newrimmed?

the best feature of skyrim special edition? you dont have to hold down the sprint key the entire time to sprint. tap and go. thats honestly what got me on board. the solid 60 fps was nice but damn that sprint key is best feature.

most of you should have gotten skyrim special for free just because you had skyrim and all the dlc, so i am not really going to accept "i dont wanna buy it" as an excuse. but if you have legit reasons i def want to hear them.

i already know what i want, but, they gave me this green nametag for a reason i assume and there are legit little communities in my mod threads that i appreciate.

You should only mod what you desire to mod but SSE will never get the full list of options the legacy version of SKSE had. And by that time bethesda would have already released a elderscrolls 6. So this post should also contain more options like wait for elderscrolls 6 or no longer support any bethesda games. Due to creation club etc..

i seriously hope all of our favourite mods gets ported to SSE especially adult mods that way i will finally be done with a pathetic oldrim, running oldrim in a stable state is nothing short of nightmarish and performance and stability of SSE phenomenal compared to oldrim but i think we are still few months away from the day we will have all of our fav mods for SSE. SKYUI is being worked on, expired told long ago once skse64 is out he will look into bringing racemenu and its other features to SSE, pretty sure ashal will update sexlab and papyrus util and other resources for SSE as well now all we need is HDT.

You should only mod what you desire to mod but SSE will never get the full list of options the legacy version of SKSE had. And by that time bethesda would have already released a elderscrolls 6. So this post should also contain more options like wait for elderscrolls 6 or no longer support any bethesda games. Due to creation club etc..

from what i can tell quickly browsing the script sources that came with skse64 - that's not going to be an issue. our main issues will be how onboard are other modders like ashal, cpu, and zaz, are, as my mods use a lot of features and assets those and other community members provide.

it is not yet known if hydrogen will make a comeback for hdt-pe sse... i heard all her baidu links are dead but pe is still on nexus so i dunno. browsing nexus sse for the first time today i am actually impressed with what has already been done. mo2 in its current state is a complete clusterfuck so if nexus wants to start pushing test versions of their new volcano or wahtever manager they stole tannin for that would be great.

if you go through the various support threads on my mods you'll see i was pretty cynical about sse ever becoming a serious thing and now here i am doubting myself.

I don't plan on using SSE anytime soon, not with that Creator Club around. Not until there is a large quantity of mods and customization that would make SSE more alluring than oldrim.

Oldrim is working fine as it is for me, I don't feel the need to change.

the only two things really keeping me from playing it for serious is racemenu and skyui

That's about where I am.

Schlangster is working on an SSE port of SkyUI, and said it's "basically done" as of September 17. No idea on Racemenu though.

Personally, I'd suggest hanging in with oldrim until everything you need for all your mods is ported over, and then mass-port to SSE. That's what I figure I'll do anyway. That way you keep working on oldrim and don't have any headaches about porting just yet, it's more likely any bugs in SKSE and dependent mods are ironed out, and then mass-porting all at once you can leave your oldrim mods in a 'finished' state and not worry about it any more. :)

I don't plan on using SSE anytime soon, not with that Creator Club around. Not until there is a large quantity of mods and customization that would make SSE more alluring than oldrim.

Exactly. I need SkyUI at the very least just to play the game.

To do modding for it? Sheesh, I've got a big chain of dependencies that are still oldrim-based. Sexlab for instance. :)

Wait and see, that's my motto.

EDIT: I should reiterate that I do think you should eventually move over, if for no other reason than Fallout 4 is just so much more stable. I'm *guessing* that Skyrim 64bit will be just as stable. Hopefully.

creation club will have zero impact on you if you choose to ignore it. i didn't even bother logging into mine since hitting tab to go to the password field closed the menu. "hah," i said, "well fuck that then."

For me honestly the barrier to entry for SSE is that I'm simply not interested in investing the time to rebuild a full load order from the ground up and start a new character from scratch for what would essentially be an upgrade in performance and a downgrade in mod variety.  Oldrim plays well enough for my purposes and at this point nearly all my Skyrim playtime is spent on modded content, adult or otherwise.

The only way I personally could see myself setting up SSE is once a significant amount of huge new worlds mods are released for SSE exclusively (for example I believe the Beyond Skyrim set of mods is planning to primarily release on SSE going forward).  Even at that point I doubt SSE would become my primary Skyrim install unless nearly all my favorite mods had been ported.

IMO the most important question is, what version will you be playing going forward?  If you only want to play SSE and you don't want to backport your mods, I think your enjoyment should come first.  If the version you play is a coinflip based on how many people use the mod however, I'd assume more people would be butthurt if future updates were only for SSE than people would be butthurt that your mods aren't available for SSE (easier to know what you are missing when you can't have it anymore than if you never had it at all).

I pretty much only "play" TES/Fallout just for testing out the sex mods. Sexlab or equivalent and rest of the basic sex mods would be the cut off point for me. SKSE64, SkyUI, racemenu are just stepping stone to the real prize.

I'm personally not leaving Skyrim Classic (Oldrim is just a stupid nickname) for a long time. My mod setup has over 750+ mods most of them merged and almost all of them with a ton of tweaks I could never remember and a bunch of them rely on SKSE and likely wont be movied over to SSE because their mod authors are long gone.

There's also the Creation Club. If you haven't been paying attention to Fallout 4, the CC updates the Fallout.exe causing the F4SE to not work until it's updated. So people have had to make an exe auto backup tool. That's just too much hassle for me personally.

Still though, I'll probably use SSE for Enderal if it gets ported. I'm not using that mod on Classic because of my current setup and how much of a hassle it would be to maintain it. I'd also use SSE for the online co-op if that eve gets ported or made for it. I'd probably just have two instances of Skyrim and slowly build out my load order. But I don't see myself ever leaving Skyrim Classic. So i dont think completely abandoning Classic would be so great. Maybe once SKSE64 has been well established and not only out of alpha, but out of beta. And even then, that's assuming all the vital SKSE mods have been ported or remade.

Also, if you have a decent PC and get 28fps with an enb, it seems like you might be using a pretty lousy enb, or one that's meant for screenshots and not gameplay. I'd recommend Kwanon. It gives the game a CGI look/feel but is able to stay at 60fps. I don't have the best specs. I have a GTX 750

I'm a donator of yours on patreon. Love your work. First off I say SSE all the way. Though I will always play Oldrim just because I think at most only one quarter to one half of all mods will be ported to Skyrim best case scenario(I highly doubt that many). That said SSE will evolve on its own I have no doubt just because it's a much more solid platform to work with both performance wise, with actual game stability and because it's basically the Skyrim we half way always wanted. More than this though Oldrim is what it is; to me it is finished. I think there's enough variety, etc in it to be content to play it if one must. SSE is the future of Skyrim because as we have seen so many modders have already started porting for it and so many more want to. It's just too good... honestly I hope Ashal gets onboard as well because that would open so many doors(so maybe get in touch with him first and see what his plans are). I just really think that SSE is an opportunity for a clean start and maybe the start of something new and different with an engine with less limitations. A new sexlab, a new untamed, a new XPMSE, a new SLAL, etc. As far as Oldrim performance goes though; to me it's not bad, I get 45-60fps with snapdragon enb and somewhere around 200 mods. I guess it depends on hardware and how you have mods setup in some cases(I have found not listening to what LOOT tells me I should do has given me several FPS and better stability); however if I had the same setup on SSE(if the mods were available) I know for sure it'd be more like 90-120fps not to mention A LOT less script lag(I may get good fps but with so many animations sometimes it takes upto 5-10seconds for the animation to actually happen on screen). Oldrim is just bad optimization.

P.S. you already have an untamed for oldrim. It's good enough.

og Skyrim all the way.

I have several ENBs that I really like so I'd have to give them up. That's just not an option in my mind. I'm really not a fan of the graphical/lighting update in SSE. 

the Nexus home page and LL download page are very indicative of my main reason.

Nexus:

Skyrim - 54,440 Files

SSE     - 8,384 Files

LL:

Skyrim - 2,516

SSE     - 42

There's simply a lack of mod content for SSE. How many mods would I have to give up? All the stability in the world isn't worth losing almost all the mods I use. There are several other mod sites I regularly check. All the armor, weapon, magic, location, etc. mods they add are all for Skyrim. The number of mods for Skyrim just keeps growing and it ain't slowing. Maybe in another five years SSE will catch up, but not now.

Go Oldrim.

Somewhen in the future, there will be a good 64bit game that handles mods smoothly, and doesn't have to be patched from the creator every couple of days. Right now, that level of quality wasn't achieved yet.

So, go test and tinker for Newrim and FO4, to keep up to date (so to say), but trust in trustworthy and reliable.

Besides, Newrim isn't Oldrim, because.. hey... a stable working Skyrim, with no need for USLEEP... that's not the game this community grew up with.

been dicking around with skyrim special edition this past week. as a game, i am kind of sold on it. looks great, no enb needed, which means its running at full 60fps (oldrim+enb is like 28fps for me). the new cbbe is stupid smooth, and alternate start is already done and working well. skse64 actually testable and threatening to be a serious thing, the only two things really keeping me from playing it for serious is racemenu and skyui. succesfully ported the buttplug over today, for the most part painless. the nifs were not 100% compatible, which means after exporting from max there is yet another thing we have to do to make them playable, but it wasn't bad either.

but it /was/ enough work, also i see some new scripting features being added, and i can already tell you now that i just do not have the energy to maintain both old skyrim and new skyrim versions of all my mods.

i am a scripter, and when i use a new feature i am not going to sit there and write a work around for a version that does not have new feature. most of you who follow my mods probably know that already just based on how anal i am about you getting the latest papyrus util.

so the question i have is, what is the current populations opinion? how butthurt would you be if i just stopped oldrim? how butthurt would you be if i just never newrimmed?

the best feature of skyrim special edition? you dont have to hold down the sprint key the entire time to sprint. tap and go. thats honestly what got me on board. the solid 60 fps was nice but damn that sprint key is best feature.

most of you should have gotten skyrim special for free just because you had skyrim and all the dlc, so i am not really going to accept "i dont wanna buy it" as an excuse. but if you have legit reasons i def want to hear them.

i already know what i want, but, they gave me this green nametag for a reason i assume and there are legit little communities in my mod threads that i appreciate.

I think the real question is quite simple.  Which will you be happier with?

It is true that SKSE64 is not super advanced right now.  It is true that a great deal of work will be needed to get it and "essential" mods up to snuff.  It is also true that others, such as vinfamy, are currently making decent strides in porting some of the basics over as we speak that simply do not require SKSE64 to function.  

So far the biggest reasons I see for staying with oldrim are not downloading and reorganizing hundreds of different mods, which is an understandable pain, and dislike of Creation Club, which you've already stated is a non issue.  Neither of these I feel really addresses some key, major issues such as very poor framerate and intuitive adjustments such as toggle sprinting.

The more people who help test SKSE64 and provide knowledgeable feedback the faster it will catch up to where we want it to be.  I believe you have the capacity to really make a great impact there.  If newrim is to have a good modding future it needs modders to help shape that future just as when oldrim was making strides in its modding community.  

Stick with the old, safe, and comfortable or take on the challenge presented with something new?  I've read over your tumblr enough to know that you aren't afraid or shy when it comes to taking on a challenge.  So really the only real question boils down to whether you will be happy enough with oldrim modding to stay there or if you will be happiest with this hobby pursuing making SSE the best it can be.  People will gripe regardless of what you choose.  They always do.  Pick what is more exciting, more rewarding for you.

For my 2 cents I had hoped you'd do a little more to make the wasteland interesting.  I already know that isn't where your interest lies at this time, so I don't have as vested an interest in which way you decide as most who will post in here.  For whatever its worth I say go where your passion takes you.  Isn't that the whole point?

I am glad you posted a poll to make us choose even though you are leaning towards the old pig with a new makeup edition (Skyrim SE)...

that said, I'd prefer if you could go Oldrim since the tools to create are already there...

I could install Skyrim SE immediately however I am not doing so until now since I am content with my Oldrim which has more content and most of my sexmods are in Oldrim...I hear SKSE is already available in SE but until the same mods I enjoyed in Oldrim have an update to SE as well I am not gonna update to it even though they say it is more stable etc.

besides I feel like I am doing Bethesda a favor if we upgrade to SE which I would like to avoid as much as possible since Bethetic's string of shitfests with CREATION CUCK (Club) and all the lackluster releases...

or you could be a saint and make content for BOTH Oldrim and SE like some people are doing although I can understand if you can't/won't...it's already a big time investment for you already what with the development of Untamed 2...and I also enjoyed and continue to enjoy your mods: Untamed, Soulgem Oven, Enchantress...

I would wish to have a part 2 or 3 of the aforementioned mods in Oldrim if you would consider making continuations for them but if you are already set on going to other platforms then go ahead...whatever can give you more freedom to create...

SSE is probably the better option.  However, I would say that to have the mods people from this site desire would still be at least a year away.

I will probably not make a move until then.   I am sure other people have the same thought.

But if you are enjoying SSE more, then you should spend your time there... because you want to be able to play around with your own mods without being frustrated that you are not where you want to be.

But keep in mind that there may only be a trickle of end users at first until people feel more comfortable that they can get the toys they want in the new playground.  

I will personally vote for oldrim.. for selfish reasons.

SSE isn't really missing that much. Big thing its missing according to a lot of people (backed up by multiple threads) is HDT. 

Creation Club also isn't a issue in a sense as you can simply ignore it. And those updates aren't a big problem either as the mods that rely on a certain version usually get updated pretty quick along with SKSE.

Overall I would leave it up to what kind of mods you want, if you're gonna be doing dense grass, high res textures, and i mean a lot of them, then yea i would go for SSE.

However, I would say that to have the mods people from this site desire would still be at least a year away.

a lot of people including myself have said this many times. over the past however many months.

my current train of thought is.

well.

someone's gotta start. i guess. what if the skse64 people give up because nobody is using it? all it takes for something to snowball is for someone to take interest. look at the american presidency for example. before trump basically nobody gave two shits about government and now everyone is a sjw.

today i released the first butt plug ever for skyrim special edition. it won't be long now. XD

SGO3 (All it requirements) , Racemenu , EEF (ver. 4.0.2 features must have for me for SGO3) , sexlab and a very small had full of mods is keeping me in the old format. Your mod (SGO3) is pretty much perma installed on any of my playthroughs and will not leave till its ported over(up to you of course). I vote for SSE bacuase it sounds like your really interested in the new version. Also thanks for your mod, never got around to saying that lol.

I'm pretty torn on this question actually. A couple of months ago I finally gave SSE a whirl, knowing that I'd have to give up a lot of mods I really didn't want to but hoping that there were enough reasonable alternatives to make the loss easier to take. Ultimately I gave up on it after only a couple of days.

Racemenu, as well as zap and many of the mods that use it - including some of your own - were the biggest losses for me. Also some smaller things like player head-tracking and facial expressions, which I had to either do without or go with "lesser" versions. It just all added up to a less interesting, more sterile feel to my character and, by extension, the game in general.

So my instinct is to say stick with the old version. On the other hand, if all the best modders switched to SSE it would make it worthwhile to try again, and it might rise high enough to take over. If that's ever going to happen, someone has to lead the way, helping the others to follow suit. The danger is some do and some don't, splitting the community and resulting in an SSE that's not quite as good as classic can currently be, and a classic that feels like it's missing something.

So after all that rambling, I guess... maybe?

It's very tight, and I'm actually surprising myself a bit here by saying I'm going to vote for SSE. One way or another, I do feel like my time with classic Skyrim is coming to a close. If enough modders switch to SSE it might breathe some fresh life into the game in general, and at least classic will still be there, with all the content it currently has still available.

At the very least though, until zap is fully working for SSE I can't see myself ever switching to it.

Archived