Mass Effect Andromeda

Darkening Demise

So was Martin Sheen voicing Illusive Man a selling point for you?  My guess would be 'no'.  You bought the game because it looked cool, the concept interested you, etc...the reasons people buy video games.  Imagine the money they could have saved if Sheen was passed over for someone just as talented and emotive, but they didn't have the name recognition price tag.  It's like paying a certified chef $22 an hour or paying a kitchen manager $12 an hour and getting the same results, which happens a lot in the food service industry.

Dev money went to Natalie Dorman for no fucking reason, since no one really cared if Geoffrey Bean voiced Martin Septim or if Captain Picard voiced the Emperor.  Matter of fact, Bethesda regretted paying Linda Carter's price for Oblivion.

I mean seriously WHY use big name movie stars for a game when CDProjekt can get better results with relatively unknown voice actors?  And the money they saved went where it belonged...that's into the game itself.

Disclaimer: I was really excited for ME: Andromeda.  I recently bought a new 4k 42" hi-def tv and a 1 terabyte XBox1 just to play games on.  Andromeda was one of the games I was looking forward to.  Yeah, so much for that...but GhostRecon Wildlands looks fucking badass and I have high hopes for Shadow of War and CyberPunk 2077.

I do like Yvonne Strahvoski as Miranda Lawson though.  Asking EA not to use Hollywood voice acting gimmick is like asking DreamWorks or Illumination to be more like Pixar.  Marketing has huge pull in those companies and they want stuff to pitch so to drive the launch window sales.

BTW, attach is Jayde Rossi live shot and not the Photoshop portfolio photos that's been floating around.  Sarah Ryder model is plenty close to the real person.  The problem has to be Frostbite engine not good at character lighting and animation, two tools DICE has no great use for.  Either what's left at Bioware is now too low in the EA totem pole to say no to Frostbite or demand more time/resource, or those running Bioware is too MBA and drunk on synergy and didn't care what the engineers and artists think.  It's pretty common in business world.  The later thinking almost destroyed the US auto industry.

post-426031-0-83980200-1489023243_thumb.jpg

lostit27268.jpg

Lost it

Shrek Effect Donkeymeda

I'll buy two copies plejs.

Where did that first picture of peebee on top of ryder come from

? Someone photoshopped it or whatever ?

It's in a trailer.Forgot the name tho

These were the most beautiful character ever, a high on Bethesda!  ;)

Oblivion

http://i.imgur.com/oDLioWu.jpg

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/101/images/17189-1-1211073367.jpg

Skyrim

5863992_f520.jpg

http://cdn3.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Skyrim_Beauty_Faces.jpg

http://arwenevecom.ipage.com/Skyrim/Images/FaceDefault.jpg

There was not such a theater, because the hotly beloved games of Bethesda are moddable.  :P

The memories of old. I like it. I see the progress in the looks of an avatar since Morrowind 2002 when we all played harsh looking tree stumps in Vvardenfell until Rhedd gave us his professionally made heads. A clear improvement from tree stump to mouse face. Then everybody had a Rhedd head in game, what else? Yet our chars still looked the same, we played family.

True customization along the Bethesda line happened first with the release of Oblivion in 2006. Everybody was entitled now to give their char the best shot. And with that requests for savegames came into play cos not everybody is gifted on the sliders. Once these requests got satisfied or rejected by means of whatever demands took over, a fatal loop got established, the tone shifted and that's the root of today bashing. Not immediately getting what one wants, that's it I think. My 4-year-old son could tell a tale.

Whatever, today the majority of the people ain't particularly interested in the creation sliders of a new game and thus the possibilities and limitations of customization, probably because they have never learnt to create anything themselves, demanding is much, much easier and it has worked in the past, so what? Guess we're yesterday people that simply don't get it, the new zeitgeist or whatever it is called in your language. We can live with it, right? Right???? ^^

obl127-2007tguo9.png

That's my Built 2006 Oblivion char, vanilla /w HGEC body and Succubus kit of the following year

Today, no longer sweet seventeen, I wouldn't reveal that much of the vamp within anymore devil.gif

Well to be quite honest the broken facial animations in Skyrim look better than the stuff we've seen from Andromeda so far. I don't get why everyone spergs out over the faces, though. They look quite nice when not moving.

I think this mostly comes from people expecting a higher level of not just technical stuff but also aesthetics, since you know..they label it as next gen and its supposed to be an AAA game.

So normaly you would expect everything to be top notch, but in reality AAA is nothing but a stamp for games you come to expect to be broken nowadays.

And not just the facial problems, the overal tone of the game reminds me too much of inquisition and thats enough to set alarming bells for me.

Then you have the illogical stuff  (water, ice...searching for new home for humanity on a ship without weaponry, because thats what you do when you go into unknown space) and you get the picture.

The saddest part is, this is going to sell milions.

Ships in intergalactic space that'd make the 2.5 million LYs to the Andromeda galaxy at a 4.000-fold speed of light (that's where the 636 year voyage in cryo stasis comes from) need no arms, no fatal physical contact with matter, no nothing. Only the event horizon of a Black hole leads to a quantum physical darkness darker than that. It's pure fiction w/o science, not perhaps the cosmic remake of the Santa María sailing West at 8 knots in the max. My sister has already asked me why the Andromeda Initiative doesn't directly take Harbinger's tour bus... ^^

See ya in the Andromeda Galaxy, stormtroopers. And don't forget to take salt along, you'll need some grains, just in case.

The saddest part is, this is going to sell milions.

If they release the way its shown on videos, it will barely break 1/1,5m

Just look at COD or similar games.

Even the remaster is having premium dlc, people bitch about it and then buy it in droves.

Well to be quite honest the broken facial animations in Skyrim look better than the stuff we've seen from Andromeda so far. I don't get why everyone spergs out over the faces, though. They look quite nice when not moving.

And not just the facial problems, the overal tone of the game reminds me too much of inquisition and thats enough to set alarming bells for me.

you know what I've been playing all the time, Dragon Age Inquisition!

can I tell you also why! because the story of the Dragon Age series is 1000 times better than the Elder Scroll stories.

Freedom of action Quests in Skyrim, I do it or I do not, two possibilities, Romance, love in Skyrim, where?

oh yes, I can marry.  :lol:  :lol:  :P 

What influence have my actions in Skyrim? none!

No matter whom I support in skyrim whether Imperials or Stormcloaks, It has no influence on the game.

What happens after you killed Alduin, where is a gigantic victory celebration, I believe you can wait forever.

These are my reasons why I have not played Skyrim for two years!  ;)

Edit: I forgot to mention, the overall tone or audio playback is only bad in the English version, because English, but I do not say more.  :P

Edit2: Here is a German gameplay.  :)

Bioware is no longer Bioware.  It's EA with a Bioware paint job.

The lead developer for Mass Effect 1 & 2 has left.  The lead writer for Mass Effect 1 & 2 has left.  The lead director for Mass Effect 1 & 2 has left.  So who's left?  The openly racist Manveer Heir and a bunch of low talent/no talent Canadian SJW Millennials?

People on 4chan, reddit and youtube are talking about a boycott of Andromeda.  They all seem pretty serious about it too.  Bad publicity can kill a game.  Look at what rightfully happened to FO4.

can I tell you also why! because the story of the Dragon Age series is 1000 times better than the Elder Scroll stories.

Aren't the DA games just single linear questlines with a couple of trivial side-quests and a random encounter or two? I only played Origins, so they might have upped their game, but I don't recall being particularly impressed with the story telling.

Romance, love in Skyrim, where?

They did the romance angle well enough, but it's not something I miss in Skyrim.

Aren't the DA games just single linear questlines with a couple of trivial side-quests and a random encounter or two? I only played Origins, so they might have upped their game, but I don't recall being particularly impressed with the story telling.

DAO was fun a bit but got old. Never got into it. Once you see the slow motion panty brushing chick flick music playing scenes its over.

Well I will use FO4 as an example. This game fell well below many peoples expectations- myself included. What keeps me playing FO4 is that it is highly modifiable and looking better all the time. Same with Skyrim. So Beth can get away with making a game that basically expects players and mod authors to "fix" issues by giving them the tools to do it with.

This is not true with MEA. They will not support any modding. So they need to get this shit right the first time. Maybe other people will be content with another half-baked open world space shooter with no soul. But I sure as fuck wont be. With that being said I hope Andromeda is not indicative of general trend in the gaming industry to emphasize neither style nor substance. :unsure:

As a sidenote though. Can anyone tell me the last game that met or exceeded everyone's expectations on release day? Yeah. Me either.  

Well I will use FO4 as an example. This game fell well below many peoples expectations- myself included. What keeps me playing FO4 is that it is highly modifiable and looking better all the time. Same with Skyrim. So Beth can get away with making a game that basically expects players and mod authors to "fix" issues by giving them the tools to do it with.

This is not true with MEA. They will not support any modding. So they need to get this shit right the first time. Maybe other people will be content with another half-baked open world space shooter with no soul. But I sure as fuck wont be. With that being said I hope Andromeda is not indicative of general trend in the gaming industry to emphasize neither style nor substance. :unsure:

As a sidenote though. Can anyone tell me the last game that met or exceeded everyone's expectations on release day? Yeah. Me either.  

For me there was a game that exceeded all expectations. (From smaller bugs, times apart)

For me, The Witcher 3 was THE GAME OF THE GAMES.  ;)

Unquestionably. Most interesting questions that call for answers. Due to the complexity of your questions I focus on the first.

FO4 "fell well below many peoples expectations" simply because many folks had too high expectations on that very game from start. The higher the expectations were, the higher the disappointment must have been, that's inevitable acc. to the scissors effect. My own expectations circled around the post-apocalyptic atmosphere as in F03 and Bethesda's leave-that-hole, find-somebody-and-do-something-important agenda. Well, that's what I got in both F03 and F04 and most likely will get in FO5. Question is where these high expectations come from and how they became part of a 'group think'. The former reminds me of the We-want-it-all-and-we-want-it-now zeitgeist of today where it is getting harder by the day to get anything (the scissor again!) and the latter is probably the consequence of a strange de-individualization in modern societies that just love to define themselves in (faked) polls, the headcount (of cattle).

People of today seemingly don't develop an individual understanding of things based on reason anymore, instead they google for a convincing (i.e. best propagated) one that's already there, follow and parrot it, that's group think - united We stand, divided We fall, no matter how strange the thinking of the We-group of 'the many' these people always refer to just to strengthen their arguments actually might be. I for one have never learnt to be part of a much larger organism in Insectopia, that's why I sometimes agree with the We- or the antagonistic They-group and sometimes I don't. Betwixt and between. That's the principle of electromagnetic dissociation in chemistry btw, for those of you who might be still in school. And that's that.

I had high expectations for Fallout New Vegas, and it did not disappointed me, yet I had low expectations for FO4 and it still did disappointed me LOL

As for Andromeda, well from what I have seen it's not that great, npc's and enemies look generic, I will not even start about facial animations and characters look..

There is no sense in the story at all, Nomad and Tempest are both unarmed because you are in Andromeda only for exploration (you go to completely unknown galaxy without weapons on your vehicles..), yet you have to fight more enemies than in ME3  :lol:

And that stupid jetpack, I bet CoD kids will love that!  :P

Also night clubs looks so boring compared to Omega from ME2  :s

Unquestionably. Most interesting questions that call for answers. Due to the complexity of your questions I focus on the first.

FO4 "fell well below many peoples expectations" simply because many folks had too high expectations on that very game from start. The higher the expectations were, the higher the disappointment must have been, that's inevitable acc. to the scissors effect. My own expectations circled around the post-apocalyptic atmosphere as in F03 and Bethesda's leave-that-hole, find-somebody-and-do-something-important agenda. Well, that's what I got in both F03 and F04 and most likely will get in FO5. Question is where these high expectations come from and how they became part of a 'group think'. The former reminds me of the We-want-it-all-and-we-want-it-now zeitgeist of today where it is getting harder to get anything by the day and the latter is the consequence of a strange de-individualization in modern societies.

People of today seemingly don't develop an individual understanding of things anymore ('I' like/don't like it), instead they google for a convincing one that's already there, follow and parrot it, that's group think - united We stand, divided We fall, no matter how strange the thinking of the We-group of 'the many' these people always refer to just to strengthen their arguments actually might be. I for one have never learnt to be part of a much larger organism, that's why I sometimes agree with the We-group and sometimes I don't. And that's that.

Well I too sometimes agree with collective opinion and other times not. In fact I suspect that most adults do. Some games do set a higher standard of excellence as far as production and attention to detail go. Games are Art at their core and while art is subjective- I don't think many will argue against the idea that some Art is plainly better than others.

You continually assert that people have to high of expectations for everything in general - not just this game. So you are saying that anyone that dares criticize Art are just spoiled babies? Without critiquing art how is one to know what is good and what is not so good? As far as I know it is everyone's right to judge the quality of any given piece of work- especially one that they are paying for. I would also add that it could be considered irresponsible to blindly accept what ever product or service some developer decides to put on our plate- as you might find you are dining on shit.  ;)

FO4 "fell well below many peoples expectations" simply because many folks had too high expectations on that very game from start. The higher the expectations were, the higher the disappointment must have been, that's inevitable acc. to the scissors effect. My own expectations circled around the post-apocalyptic atmosphere as in F03 and Bethesda's leave-that-hole, find-somebody-and-do-something-important agenda. Well, that's what I got in both F03 and F04 and most likely will get in FO5. Question is where these high expectations come from and how they became part of a 'group think'. The former reminds me of the We-want-it-all-and-we-want-it-now zeitgeist of today where it is getting harder to get anything by the day and the latter is the consequence of a strange de-individualization in modern societies.

People of today seemingly don't develop an individual understanding of things anymore ('I' like/don't like it), instead they google for a convincing one that's already there, follow and parrot it, that's group think - united We stand, divided We fall, no matter how strange the thinking of the We-group of 'the many' these people always refer to just to strengthen their arguments actually might be. I for one have never learnt to be part of a much larger organism, that's why I sometimes agree with the We-group and sometimes I don't. And that's that.

Well I too sometimes agree with collective opinion and other times not. In fact I suspect that most adults do. Some games do set a higher standard of excellence as far as production and attention to detail go. Games are Art at their core and while art is subjective- I don't think many will argue against the idea that some Art is plainly better than others.

You continually assert that people have to high of expectations for everything in general - not just this game. So you are saying that anyone that dares criticize Art are just spoiled babies? Without critiquing art how is one to know what is good and what is not so good? As far as I know it is everyone's right to judge the quality of any given piece of work- especially one that they are paying for. I would also add that it could be considered irresponsible to blindly accept what ever product or service some developer decides to put on our plate- as you might find you are dining on shit.  ;)

Shit it is only for those, those it as Shit to see.  :lol:  :lol: 

Million other people see a good game. and there can be a few hater, NOTHING CHANGE!  ;)  :P

Edit: what did you hope?

That your roast pigeons fly into the mouth.  :D

Schlaraffenlandfrei.jpg

Edit2: the main reason all of the hatred is the, that Biowares games are no longer moddable.

No fuck mods, Oh what a pain!  :lol:  :lol:  :P

Okay, the bar of expectations on something new as well as the critique of it ain't any longer depending on the predecessor product of the company in question but on the demands that result from the possibilities on the market as a whole. That, however, is our today zeitgeist, almost disconnected from reality - claiming everything that is possible only to rock bottom at the end of the day. And please do me a favor, never again talk to me about 'art' in the context of BioWare 'cause the last-minute destruction of the own, successful product line is actually called vandalism. At least van Gogh didn't destroy his own pictures and quitted madness after having cut off one of his ears...

As I've said earlier already, I only judge games that I have played, not those I only know selected and commentated footage of. That sounds like 'preemptive demonization (or glorification)' that serves a specific agenda to me, to say the least. Maybe we come to similar conclusions later, then I'll bow my knees in front of that much fulfilled prophecy... but not beforehand.

The only game I've bought in the last 3 years that just blew me away was Witcher3.

I played TW1 and 2 so I kinda knew what to expect as far as writing, character and story development, etc.  When i saw the game trailers I got excited.  When I saw actual game play footage by people not employed or paid by CDProjekt I knew I had to play it.  And I wasn't disappointing.

The big difference between Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls, FO4 and the Witcher brands is who is developing them, the corporations they answer to, and the fan base.

Player: Witcher3 has issues, I hope they get addressed.

CDProjekt : Yes, we are aware of the issues and they'll be addressed. (And then they fix them.)

Player: Mass Effect 3 doesn't reflect what happened in the two previous games.

EA/Bioware: *crickets chirping* (Then they remove the post and ban the poster from the official forums.)

Player: Skyrim/FO4 is unfinished and it's a crash-fest.

Bethesda/Zenimax:  *crickets chirping* (And they do nothing.)

Fanboys: It's a modding platform!  Mods will fix it!  You're just hating on it to be cool!  Shut up about my game!  etc...

And the standard excuse of 'mods will fix it' has addressed about 90% of what's fucked up about Skyrim, just like Sims 4 modders have fixed that game.  But that didn't happen for FO4, and it probably won't since the broken Creation Kit will stay broken.  Bethesda has already moved on, just like they did with NewVegas and Skyrim.  ME:Andromeda won't even have the benefit of modding unless really industrious modders start rewriting code...but how will they even know what to look for to begin with?

EA had better get their collective shit together or social media will tear them and Andromeda apart.  Word spreads fast these days and people are less inclined to be silenced since social justice took a crippling blow this last November.  If Andromeda sucks they will get the first time buyers but they'll miss out on DLC sales.  After playing FO4 I swore on a stack of radioactive bibles that they'd never get another penny from me, and I know I'm not alone. 

Archived