Mass Effect Andromeda

Darkening Demise

There's a concept from the film industry called "buying the gross". Basically, if you spend enough on hype before the launch, you'll get enough receipts on the first week to cover production costs. Then, if the film turns out to be a turkey, you've recovered your investment before word of mouth can do do any serious damage.

---snip---

Wrong, i live in germany and here the statute applies, and the statute says is a commodity not good, then I have the right of the 14 day return!

So I get the full purchase price back.

Best of luck doing that with a movie ticket purchase. I mean that is the part you're contradicting, right? ;)

This happened in large numbers, most recently with the game * No Man's Sky *, Thousands got your money back.

Alas, I fear that a much of the world has not adopted your country's enlightened attitude in this respect. As such, I doubt this will be a major disincentive for EA.

There's a concept from the film industry called "buying the gross". Basically, if you spend enough on hype before the launch, you'll get enough receipts on the first week to cover production costs. Then, if the film turns out to be a turkey, you've recovered your investment before word of mouth can do do any serious damage.

---snip---

Wrong, i live in germany and here the statute applies, and the statute says is a commodity not good, then I have the right of the 14 day return!

So I get the full purchase price back.

Best of luck doing that with a movie ticket purchase. I mean that is the part you're contradicting, right? ;)

This happened in large numbers, most recently with the game * No Man's Sky *, Thousands got your money back.

Alas, I fear that a much of the world has not adopted your country's enlightened attitude in this respect. As such, I doubt this will be a major disincentive for EA.

Of course, this also applies to a movie ticket, If several people leave the cinema at the beginning (about 10-20 minutes), Because advertising promised something else,

then there is the money back.

Here it is easy to get money back, because the money remains at the cinema checkout. 

This does not apply, when I look at the whole movie and only at the end complain.  :lol:

Edit: which company can it themselves afford on money to renounce?  ;)

Jazzman, you always make me laugh, you to evict the evil worries, You conjure a smile on my face.  :) 

Which means that, you know it? ;)

I'm just another smiley that loves a good laugh with (but never about) people. It unites us, makes us feel good, strengthens us, it removes the artificial walls in our heads that prevent us form solving problems instead of rejecting them (thumbs down) or denying their presence (thumbs up). For one thing should be clear to anyone - a new game is always a new problem, fun on crutches.

Jazzman, you always make me laugh, you to evict the evil worries, You conjure a smile on my face.  :) 

Which means that, you know it? ;)

I'm just another smiley that loves a good laugh with (but never about) people. It unites us, makes us feel good, strengthens us, it removes the artificial walls in our heads that prevent us form solving problems instead of rejecting them (thumbs down) or denying their presence (thumbs up). For one thing should be clear to anyone - a new game is always a new problem, fun on crutches.

That is the problem with most people, what they do not know is first rejected, first shoot then ask who are you!

With this attitude many things get no chance at all.  ;)

Of course, this also applies to a movie ticket, If several people leave the cinema at the beginning (about 10-20 minutes), Because advertising promised something else,

Here it is easy to get money back, because the money remains at the cinema checkout. 

This does not apply, when I look at the whole movie and only at the end complain.

I don't see why not. You can play the whole game and get your money back in 14 days, why not watch the whole film as well? I mean you want your laws to be consistent, right?

That's a very loaded question. Perhaps if you explain what you're getting at, I might be able to answer.

This does not apply, when I look at the whole movie and only at the end complain.

I don't see why not. You can play the whole game and get your money back in 14 days, why not watch the whole film as well? I mean you want your laws to be consistent, right?

That's a very loaded question. Perhaps if you explain what you're getting at, I might be able to answer.

I wrote

your answer

Alas, I fear that a much of the world has not adopted your country's enlightened attitude in this respect. As such, *****I doubt this will be a major disincentive for EA.*****

My reaction

which company can it themselves afford on money to renounce?

Now this question, strange

My answer and question

If 3000-4000 people (German), which paid around 100 euros for the game, demand suddenly back your money.

then this would be a sum of 400000 euros, this would be EA certainly not leave you indifferent.

I'm aware that English isn't your first language, and I wanted to make sure I understood your point correctly. I hope that's OK.

If 3000-4000 people (German), which paid around 100 euros for the game, demand suddenly back your money.

then this would be a sum of 400000 euros, this would be EA certainly not leave you indifferent.

Well, no. But all that does is determine that EA will have lower profits in Germany, and possibly that they'll sell the German Language edition at a higher price to compensate.

If they can make lots of money for crappy low effort games that capitalise on brand loyalty (and this is basically EA's business model) then it doesn't matter to them if they make slightly less per-unit in your country, because the profit margin in the wider world is large enough to render that loss trivial.

I'm aware that English isn't your first language, and I wanted to make sure I understood your point correctly. I hope that's OK.

Well, no. But all that does is determine that EA will have lower profits in Germany, and possibly that they'll sell the German Language edition at a higher price to compensate.

If they can make lots of money for crappy low effort games that capitalise on brand loyalty (and this is basically EA's business model) then it doesn't matter to them if they make slightly less per-unit in your country, because the profit margin in the wider world is large enough to render that loss trivial.

It's right, i do not speak english and it was good to ask. :)

And it is also correct, Germany is a small country, It is not of great importance in contrast to other countries, with regard to games,

but it is nevertheless a considerable sum. ;)

That is the problem with most people, what they do not know is first rejected, first shoot then ask who are you!

We're living in interesting times, as the Chinese say. Attacking anything new and alien that appears on the horizon like a young, raging bull has become a much respected art instead of a mere stupidity, provoking unknown individuals without previous reconnaissance is a virtue now, no longer suicidal foolishness. I don't know where all this might lead to but I'll make sure to survive it, perhaps less impressed but assuredly saddened nonetheless.

And it is also correct, Germany is a small country, It is not of great importance in contrast to other countries, with regard to games,

Well, you're what? Fourth largest economy in the world? Fifth? Not to be disregarded lightly, certainly.

but it is nevertheless a considerable sum. ;)

Sure. I'm just not sure it's enough to bring about a change in their business practices. They're more likely to lobby for a change in legislation to grant them a loophole which would let them wriggle out of giving refunds.

Well, you're what? Fourth largest economy in the world? Fifth? Not to be disregarded lightly, certainly.

---snip---

these points I not wanted to mention, but when you start with it, then only so much, Germany is the market leader in beer production. cheers. geburtstag_0016.gif

Buying-the-gross or launch window marketing is basically a derivation of impulse purchase strategy.  Some countries have attempted at safeguards but mostly don't work because it is very easy to get around it.  All companies have to do is to add some extra steps and a LOT of people will not consider it worth the time.  The reason impulse purchase is so powerful is because it is a "closed" trade.  Essentially by asking for your money back, the consumer is the one who is looking to break a deal.  There are legal, economical and psychological barriers to overcome for consumers to choose such path.  

There is also a greater good consideration to not go overboard in post-purchase consumer protection, especially with consumables.  It is subject to abuse but more importantly companies would have no idea in how to predict profits and losses.

The better approach is putting in safe guards prior to purchase but that will require very specific legislation and regulations which obviously will add layers of costs.  This is why we usually only have them in financial products or large ticket items. 

We're living in interesting times, as the Chinese say. Attacking anything new and alien that appears on the horizon like a young, raging bull has become a much respected art instead of a mere stupidity, provoking unknown individuals without previous reconnaissance is a virtue now, no longer suicidal foolishness. I don't know where all this might lead to but I'll make sure to survive it, perhaps less impressed but assuredly saddened nonetheless.

Off Topic  ;)

200.gif

a pity, that you can not understand this song.  :(

Can anyone tell me the last game that met or exceeded everyone's expectations on release day?

Don't know about everyone else, but "Horizon Zero Dawn" pretty much did that for me. Funny, I've never thought I'd have an answer to such a question.

Off Topic  ;)

200.gif

a pity, that you can not understand this song.  :(

Yeah, it's as clear as mud to me. However, you can tell the size of a man's cock by the size of his nose and... the resulting size of her eyes, so I guess this is about getting dated by a penguin, probably a fuckin' married penguin, at least my penguin was, but all this has happened a looong time ago in another galaxy ^^

On topic

Interestingly, this reminds me of the fact that although we get attracted by visual impressions in the first place we tend to remember words and deeds, content that is, and what we have actually seen blurs over time. Now, high quality game content worth remembering requires both a gifted intellect and the enthusiasm of an idealist to push the limits, it is thus more time-consuming and expensive than new graphics with new effects that just follow Moore's law at an almost constant price. To reach maximum profitability a gaming company is thus rather focused on attractive graphic effects produced by a modern game machine (here: frostbite) than on content for the history books, e.g.

Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?  Of course you are, babe; am I right or am I right?   :lol:

Cute.

So ... any news about the game? How are the impressions from watching these gameplay videos? Besides the obvious meaningless nitpicks about suicidal crew members and their weapon of choice.

I think I mentioned that I like SciFi. And all the gamergatesque tantrum throwing about Bioware and SJWs don't mean jack shit to me, I rather want to know what the grownups think.

Does the game look open enough and does it look like there is more meaningful content then in Dragon Age Inquisition? Or do the maps look just as empty and the sidequests similarly pointless? Any previews worth reading out yet?

They have to take a 180° turn from their DA:I formula to convince me to buy this.

Cute.

So ... any news about the game? How are the impressions from watching these gameplay videos? Besides the obvious meaningless nitpicks about suicidal crew members and their weapon of choice.

I think I mentioned that I like SciFi. And all the gamergatesque tantrum throwing about Bioware and SJWs don't mean jack shit to me, I rather want to know what the grownups think.

Does the game look open enough and does it look like there is more meaningful content then in Dragon Age Inquisition? Or do the maps look just as empty and the sidequests similarly pointless? Any previews worth reading out yet?

They have to take a 180° turn from their DA:I formula to convince me to buy this.

Only a few hours, then you can experience everything live. 

grosse-big-smilies-0854.gif

Most reviewers (from previews) says that it's improved Inqisition, but for many it's a really bad thing that it's not let's say improved ME2 or 3... 

Many says that there is not much new things compared to the trilogy, just more of the same with improved Inquisition's elements whatever that means.

Most reviewers (from previews) says that it's improved Inqisition, but for many it's a really bad thing that it's not let's say improved ME2 or 3... 

Many says that there is not much new things compared to the trilogy, just more of the same with improved Inquisition's elements whatever that means.

It means that I play much Dear Inquisition as Skyrim!  ;)

Here is an example why.  :)

Can't believe I've forgotten how forced and stilted DA: Inquisition dialogue is.  <_<

Whole game it stilted. But I have to admit one scene made impression on me,

that one when you was lost in snow inbetween transition from lost keep and new fortress, that shit was cool.

cant say if there was anything more, I quit playing after x fetch quest. Ah and fucking horse, I would kill that stiff motherfucker I hate him so much.

Archived