Mass Effect Andromeda

Darkening Demise

PeeBee's age is commonly estimated 80-100 years out there. That means she's still in the puberty, an Asari virgin. At least that'd explain her kiddo thesaurus. Not exactly the squadmate I need in battle. But hey, isn't that 1.400+ year-old Krogan dotard, contemporary of Pepin the Short of the Frankish Empire, the perfect compensation for her youth?

Never really paid that licensing deal any mind honestly... looking back i can sorta get where you are coming from but at the time i just glossed over it as a game mechanic to slow progressing to the good stuff.

Well, it was also a game mechanic intended to slow progress, admittedly.

It just struck me as cynical and self-serving on their part. Not a big deal, but a surprising sleazy move from someone with the reputation that BioWare enjoyed at that point in time.

It's not a huge deal, I'm just saying that they're not shy about using their games to push a political agenda.

C'mon, the uproar back then was that Bioware was too cheap/lazy to implement a crafting/looting system for the weapon upgrades and instead just added an interface to the leveling system.  Players took it as another sign that ME wasn't a "real" RPG but FPS instead. 

As for the copyright agenda, just about everyone knew it was a joke. 

The LGBT stuff was certainly politically/profit motivated but its implementation predates the decline of Bioware games by nearly a decade. 

They've never been above using their games for social engineering. Even before the EA buyout in ME1, we had a long lecture explaining to Sheppard how, although the ship's replicator could manufacture any weapon, the weapons would not be available until the licence fees for the design had been paid. Because any other course of action would not be ethical.

So basically the sub-text here is Hey kids! Command Sheppard sooner rather die before violating Copyright - And So Should You!!!

Say what you like about the ethics of software piracy, but I can't help feeling there's something deeply shitty about trying to teach a generation of kids that corporate intellectual property rights are more important than the survival of their species.

Also don't forget that games make our children violent and gay.

C'mon, the uproar back then was that Bioware was too cheap/lazy to implement a crafting/looting system for the weapon upgrades and instead just added an interface to the leveling system.

Can't say it bothered me particularly. Go figure

Just 'cause it's a joke, that doesn't mean it didn't also have a serious intent. Stand-up comedians have using humour to make political points since ancient times.

Also don't forget that games make our children violent and gay.

I must have missed that layer of subtext smile.png

Just 'cause it's a joke, that doesn't mean it didn't also have a serious intent. Stand-up comedians have using humour to make political points since ancient times.

I doubt the intent in this particular case was to send a serious message.  Bioware knew it was in the wrong by skimping on the game's feature and went with an absurd presentation of their shortcut implementation instead of rationalizing it.  People got it back then and that's why it was funny.  Of course, if that were to happen today the twiitersphere will be buzzed with "Biorware inserts subliminal death to game pirates message in game." and then every forum will burst into flames.  This is the harm SJW has done to our state of discourse.  On the flip side EA would probably remove the humor and replace it with micro-transactions.

The contribution of jesters and comedians is not intent but perspective.  Everyone can do intent but to flip it without inflicting hate is hard.  Not knowing the difference is why hacks like PiewPiewDie thought their subconscious prejudice is funny. 

I would like to think that Bio simply gives a player pause to think about some RW issues with its "tongue in cheek" jokes or commentary. I don't think their intent is some sub-liminal thought altering agenda as some would suggest. They are making a game. If they happen to include a few world views they have in that game it is not by any means a "deal breaker".

And from what I am seeing of the game all of these assertions of meddling with or minds will be thrown out the ship's airlock once people actually play the game and see that there is sooo much there. As I have said- I will reserve final judgement until that time. But I do think that this long and storied franchise is back with something to prove. ;)

I doubt the intent in this particular case was to send a serious message.

You might be right. At the time it struck me as petty, self serving and cynical. That said, it was a minor niggle that didn't seriously detract from a basically decent game.

But fair enough: So yeah, it didn't bother you as much as it did me, and that's all right.

Bioware knew it was in the wrong by skimping on the game's feature and went with an absurd presentation of their shortcut implementation instead of rationalizing it.

On the other hand, the underlying mechanic behind the replicator didn't bother as much as it seems to have bothered you, so different strokes, I guess.

Yeah, facial expressions look off.

And why do they repeat that this is about finding a new home for humanity when there are other races on board too?

That 13 minutes preview was uninteresting. I wanna see planet exploration, not this boring crap where you constantly pick a dialogue choice which then gets ignored because the dialog partners just rephrase a little what they wanted to say anyway. But hey, you prolly get paragon or renegade points, awesome! ^^

From what they said until now, it will be some sort of Witcher-like system? A mix of zones (planets) with quests/exploration, etc inside.

With some Fallout4 building/settler choices

We will have six planets total, and the order will be linear.

Welp, its not just that the facial animations are bad, its like the characters have no idea what they want so say...the wierd eye movement and uncertain emotion make it hard to figure out how they feel .

During the conversation where Scott sits down and the asari examines him, it was like he was asking himself "oi bioware what do you want me to say, because i have no idea".

According to the great rofl by the know-it-all's, ME: (The Conquest of) Andromeda must be very funny. I like that, I really do. To see even more nervous eye-tracking of pretty smart folks that dunno what to say I just have to go shopping. Cha! The price of the game, almost a dinner for two in an Argentine beef restaurant, is high indeed, at least compared to the price of the filled rack required to play it, right? So everything suits me just fine.

Happy Malefitz, pathfinders  devil.gif

Character's eyes looks so.. lifeless :/

It's just me, or Scott legs looks too short? lol

They should delayed this game like they originally planned in November/December by 3-5 months to polish it more and fix those bad animations (especially facial animations), but EA wanted $$$ in financial year 2016 so..

According to the great rofl by the know-it-all's, ME: (The Conquest of) Andromeda must be very funny. I like that, I really do. To see even more nervous eye-tracking of pretty smart folks that dunno what to say I just have to go shopping. Cha! The price of the game, almost a dinner for two in an Argentine beef restaurant, is high indeed, at least compared to the price of the filled rack required to play it, right? So everything suits me just fine.

You mean, dont question, dont criticize, just continue consuming like in that restaurant you mentioned and keep defending the coorporations who dont give a fuck about you.

On the flip side, you wont go hungry atleast.

You mean, dont question, dont criticize, just continue consuming like in that restaurant you mentioned and keep defending the coorporations who dont give a fuck about you.

Unquestionably. Most impressive.

Seriously, I have already asked a few detailed questions dealing with lore breaking stuff... and answered myself 'cause your kind is too busy with criticism for the sake of criticism. Not that I'd expected anything, of course not, neither from your kind nor the game corporation. However, I start my overall-criticism at the end of a game, not at its beginning, or worse, even before release. To understand fundamental mistakes made in development one has to go where the development comes to light - in game that is. That's a lesson for life, btw. End of lecture.

NB If you'd go hungry b/c of a 60 dollar investment you better sell your rack and go offline, no?

Unquestionably. Most impressive.

Seriously, I have already asked a few detailed questions dealing with lore breaking stuff... and answered myself 'cause your kind is too busy with criticism for the sake of criticism. Not that I'd expected anything, of course not, neither from your kind nor the game corporation. However, I start my overall-criticism at the end of a game, not at its beginning, or worse, even before release. To understand fundamental mistakes made in development one has to go where the development comes to light - in game that is. That's a lesson for life, btw. End of lecture.

NB If you'd go hungry b/c of a 60 dollar investment you better sell your rack and go offline, no?

Looks like you didnt get my point, wich is strange considering the mental gymnastics you been doing here.

Not sure where you got the idea i have a problem spending 60bucks but sure whatever you just keep going to that restaurant.

It's not so much about the money you have to pay but you'll support any kind of decision with your money that you might not have supported if you knew it was there in the first place. Doesn't matter if you realize you bought an empty promise, they already have your money. And the next game they want to sell you is also immune to any sort of criticism until you've bought and played it.

Thats the problem.

If i buy the game and later criticize it, they going to tell me why i bought it in the first place, when i dont buy it i have no right to criticize because i havent played it yet.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Let's wait for someone to buy and criticize...

If its good I'll buy (and rant later) and if it is not ...move on... lot of other games to play ...for me anyway.

Yeah. That's the way to approach this. Let some other fools test the water first on any new product. I always give games a decent review time before I add to library. And since people are saying this game would be difficult to mod that makes it an easier decision not to buy on day one. ( Huh. I guess those kids that snap up things on release day are good for something after all.......)  :unsure:   

Archived