A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

OK, just found this on the Workshop! :D

Oh Gaben has come to own all modder's hearts.
I tell you, I tell you, the paid mods come.
With the bullshitting power of ancient scam art.
Believe, believe, the paid mods come.
It's the end to the era of passion at heart.
Beware, beware, the paids mods come.
For the freebies have passed, and Capitalism grows.
You'll know, you'll know, the paid mods have come!

Guest privateuser99

i actually am making a trojan horse - mod which will have 50 pct of effect of free version

so users what pay.... get worse product than free.

it will be about enchanting && alchyme.

thats my way of boycot.

If SkyUI 5.0 is hosted here, it WILL end up being taken down as a paying mod. http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/611704730318722123/

They have apparently stripped out the TweenLite code from SkyUI 5.0, atleast according to posts in that very same thread, so it woulden't be taken down for that reason.

Sadly so, as quite frankly, i considder putting a pricetag on SkyUI as "Selling patches", which is just vile on so many levels..

As a biologist I am, consider this to be just another part of the cycle of life.

The modders will migrate to other games that are not in steam, games worthy of their interest, and when the new franchise became something big enough, something similar to this will happen once again.

Let me tell you a story (forget my english):

Its happen 10-15 years ago, back then I was giving support with php forum and CMS, for free, in a community of people who were giving free support. I lost count of the many nights I spend till 6AM fixing some else forum, web page, or anything closely related. I lost the count of the hours I spended in phpmyadmin fixing some else shit, just for the satisfaction of fixing something. I never asked for a compensation because In the forum everyone was working for free. Maybe for some one I was a stupid, for giving away something that could have given me a profit. I was a college student back then, and believed in the selfless help.

And then one day, someone came asking for paid help, he/she wanted a super webpage with forum, CMS, javascript game, etc. And the community start eating each others.. 

The webmaster, a girl with heavy knowledge in systems and legal rights simply banish the community from one day to another (to avoid legal problems). And the crows were flying on the horizon for a few months until they got tired and left. But we lost the community sadly. I retired from modding and support, and only mod again for personal use. 

The softwares involved in the process (php forum, CMS, etc) lost a lot of free addons, and support, and eventually, they were replaced for others. 

And everything happen because some people wanted something better for their web pages, and instead of contacting a professional programer/designer, they came to the "free-guys" and started a schism.

Now is happening something similar, but much larger, even though, it will end the same. The software will decay (the game), the company in the worse scenario will just change name, the "free-guys" will move on, and in a few years when a new stage became ready for harvest, the Harbinger will return.

Codex_Harbinger.png

My biggest concern in this case, is the survival of the community, and the only true, is that after 15 years I still have some contact with some of those "free-guys" and that shows me an important lesson.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives

Well 5.0 doesn't add anything special so one might be able to just take the old .esp and rename it to the new .esp you wouldn't get the new crafting menus but who cares. Or you can remove it as a dependency and change it to the older one. I say dev's just don't use it if no one uses it then there will be no reason for the 5.0 me if I find any mods that use stuff that are behind a paywall they will go straight into the shit bin where they belong.

All this apocalyptic gloom and doom has got me looking at openmw. It's an open source re-creation of the morrowind engine. Only with a modern graphics engine. And source code. It's not getting a lot of attention right now, but that couldchange if Beth and Valve really want to lock things down for FO4/TESVI.

With all that IP that belongs to Bethesda? How long do you think that will last if it gets successful?

The game engine's in development for few years, even before Skyrim's launch. However, with the sea change in the way Valve/Beth/Zeni changed policy, the open-source engine may attract new blood to help complete it.

I mean all the "Elder Scrolls" stuff. Nobody is making money from this? C&D.

It's just an engine. It can load and run Beth IP, but there's none of their IP included. No code, no copyright materials.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives

This quote says perfectly what will happen in the very end of this matter : either the free mods keep being free, or the remnants of the community will move on to other games ....

As a biologist I am, consider this to be just another part of the cycle of life.
The modders will migrate to other games that are not in steam, games worthy of their interest, and when the new franchise became something big enough, something similar to this will happen once again.

Let me tell you a story (forget my english):
Its happen 10-15 years ago, back then I was giving support with php forum and CMS, for free, in a community of people who were giving free support. I lost count of the many nights I spend till 6AM fixing some else forum, web page, or anything closely related. I lost the count of the hours I spended in phpmyadmin fixing some else shit, just for the satisfaction of fixing something. I never asked for a compensation because In the forum everyone was working for free. Maybe for some one I was a stupid, for giving away something that could have given me a profit. I was a college student back then, and believed in the selfless help.

And then one day, someone came asking for paid help, he/she wanted a super webpage with forum, CMS, javascript game, etc. And the community start eating each others.. 
The webmaster, a girl with heavy knowledge in systems and legal rights simply banish the community from one day to another (to avoid legal problems). And the crows were flying on the horizon for a few months until they got tired and left. But we lost the community sadly. I retired from modding and support, and only mod again for personal use. 
The softwares involved in the process (php forum, CMS, etc) lost a lot of free addons, and support, and eventually, they were replaced for others. 
And everything happen because some people wanted something better for their web pages, and instead of contacting a professional programer/designer, they came to the "free-guys" and started a schism.

Now is happening something similar, but much larger, even though, it will end the same. The software will decay (the game), the company in the worse scenario will just change name, the "free-guys" will move on, and in a few years when a new stage became ready for harvest, the Harbinger will return.

Codex_Harbinger.png

My biggest concern in this case, is the survival of the community, and the only true, is that after 15 years I still have some contact with some of those "free-guys" and that shows me an important lesson.

Give this guy cookies.  The drones back in the Steam forum just don't seem to get that this is one of the real issues with paid mods.

Unfortunately, now that Beth-Soft has finally cracked this nut, you can bet that future Beth-Soft games will only be moddable from their own special utility, from which players are charged.  The end of the era of free playable content from the modding community is just over the horizon.  Anyone who did not see this coming wasn't watching.  With all of the Free-To-Play titles out there , and how they handle "game enhancements" for the paying community set the stage for this.  In the near future, there will only be one place that new modded content can be uploaded by modders, and it will likely not be a voluntary process.  Either Beth-soft games will check a server stored mod-list against your load order everytime you load the game, or the mods will be packaged in such a way that the game will use a checksum/hash to ensure that each mod is a sanctioned "Beth-Soft" sponsored mod.  It was good while it lasted, but like beer vending machines, all good things must end.

Wulf

I already knew this whole agains paid mods won't work the petition dont work AT ALL masses are just to stupid bethesda got its free advertisement and both EVIL MONEY GRABBING EMPIRES  Bethesda and Valve win.

Already said it yesterday im done with steam and bethesda, i probably belong to very small group that won't bow to mafia companies and criminals so be it.

We konw what happen now and next installement of  bethesda game no more mods on other sides they will build in restrictions so you can only to central HELL hub called steam get mods and rest can go fuck themselfs.

Masses have answers YES BETHESDA WE ARE GLAD TO PAY FOR MODS free is for suckers who live in unreal world.

It's indeed end of modding community we know for so long well at least for me.

Perma ban on bethesda and valve...here i come GOG.COM PROLLY LAST BASTION for free DLC MODS and DRM.

Guest endgameaddiction

They both are trying to turn gaming into one fat gigantic DRM. Odds are that you'll have to purchase a license to use GECK and CK in the next titles. Hell, probbaly pay a monthly subscription.

Purchase the license to run Fallout 4 TESVI mods on your steam account.

I'll bet you have to pay a subscription for playing a solo game.

Oh and solo game comes in chapters also.

Elder Scroll VI chapter 1 50$ please 50 hours gameplay

Elder Scroll VI chapter 2 50$ please next 50 hours of gameplay

You prolly get full game but if you pay 50 $ rest of game still behind paywalls if you want next area 50$ or stay behind paywall.

I'LL BET YAH PEOPLE MASSES will gladly pay for this.

Hey is capitalism right FUCK YOU :angry:

and so on.

I'll bet you have to pay a subscription for playing a solo game.

Oh and solo game comes in chapters also.

Elder Scroll VI chapter 1 50$ please 50 hours gameplay

Elder Scroll VI chapter 2 50$ please next 50 hours of gameplay

You prolly get full game but if you pay 50 $ rest of game still behind paywalls if you want next area 50$ or stay behind paywall.

I'LL BET YAH PEOPLE MASSES will gladly pay for this.

Hey is capitalism right FUCK YOU :angry:

and so on.

haha, dont give em any ideas

OK, just found this on the Workshop! :D

Oh Gaben has come to own all modder's hearts.
I tell you, I tell you, the paid mods come.
With the bullshitting power of ancient scam art.
Believe, believe, the paid mods come.
It's the end to the era of passion at heart.
Beware, beware, the paids mods come.
For the freebies have passed, and Capitalism grows.
You'll know, you'll know, the paid mods have come!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL7ZaCsT39A

(...) And a complete scam having to sell what is it, $100? or $400? I keep reading around it's one of those. (...)

Just wanted to clarify, as there seems to be a lot of misinformation about this.

Modder recieves 25% of the income that a mod generated on the Workshop.

Mod needs to earn at least $400 per month for the modder to get any money. This gives $100 to modder (100 is 25% of 400).

Honestly, I'm having a hard time believing a lot of the comments here. Those that complain and bitch about mod authors should be f*cked over, that's the kind of attitude that doesn't help the community. Not mentioning names, you know who you are.

We should be finding a solution that works on both fronts, not being f*cktards that you are.

/rant

With that out of the way, if Valve implemented something like the Humble Bundle where you can choose the percentage of how much each party gets, would that be better? I'm trying to start a rationale discussion instead of flinging shit like some people are.

I thought we've explained it hundred times already, but you must be new to the topic.

The model where you pay for the mod up front does not work for tons of reasons.

The model where you get the mod for free and then decide wether it's worth paying for and how much is fine (but we already have that, it's called "donations").

do what you want, cause a pirate is free... no wait, let's not follow this way

one thing really seems to clear out... we are pissed and afraid of loosing the freedom to mod in the end and the mods itself (that's what i see at this moment)

but if we stick together,  even with the nexus guys, we might be able to get that "donate me" button instead of a "pay now!"

*waiting for crucifixion now*

Define Nexus guys. If you mean normal users, I'm all with you. They may be rude and immature, but they are mostly acceptable after some profanity filtering.

If you mean Nexus moderators and admins, then HELL NO! They are two-faced, greedy liars, that only pretend to be against current situation because they failed a chance to get a bigger cut out of this deal. Not to mention their "official opinion" on the matter seems to flip from one side to another like a banner on the wind.

If we try to use their power to shut down the current deal, they'll probably make one that benefits them better behind our backs.

All of that is still just push pull dynamic between mods, modders, and valve.

They either work it out or leave the workshop alone. Modders won't stick around if they get burn too many times. If Valve want to keep pursuing this they will need to do something to appeal to the modders if that should happen.

That's why I keep saying we need to put heat on modders who sell their work, even if it doesn't seem to be fair. Currently that's the only tool in our disposal that have proven effective.

Bethesda isn't bullet proof, they just haven't fucked with the right (or wrong) person yet.

I can't wait for that person to appear. We should start our quest to find The Chosen One (who will save the community).

Would of been better if Malukah had done it.

would she do it for free?

Yes, otherwise she would have to give Bethseda 75% royalties.

I can't wait for that person to appear. We should start our quest to find The Chosen One (who will save the community).

What shall they be called?

The Moderator : Judgement Pay

The Moderator : Judgement Pay

somebody should make a world boss that travels around skyrim with this name.

not rly.

modders need an editor to do their job efficiently. Because modding without an editor really is a pain.

so far only a very few games have such editors.

So i guess plenty would stay loyal to bethesda. Even if this marriage would go through some silent days...

Archived