A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

don't know if Bethesda can even claim copyright on a mod.  Software code is a process and it's pretty damned hard to claim derivative rights on a process that hasn't been invented yet.

They could, if they wanted to. Lex retro non agit, so I don't know if it would apply to Skyrim speciffically, but for future games? Easy. Like this:

"Every mod created for $BethesdaGameNameHere using the $BethesdaToolkitNameHere is to be considered a property of Zenimax/Bethesda Softworks/something".

Then put it in EULA, attach a definition of what mod is.

Then the user accepts such EULA and bam! Your mod is their mod.

This might get pretty expensive for valve/bethesda. How are they regulating which mods are being sold and which aren't? They hold the rights, they are being made responsible if something illegal gets uploaded. For example, how many modders own a 3DS Max license that allows them to use this program for commercial purposes? I think most of them don't. So if you are going to upload stuff that's being sold and was being made with the student's license for example valve and bethesda are going to pay for that. Especially since they get 75% of the money. Nobody really cares when everything is given away for free, but when money is involved everyone suddenly cares. I guess autodesk's lawyers are going to be busy, heh.

I guess a lot of them do in fact use a student version or even cracked version of 3DS. Still they will probably weasel out of it, just by claiming they did the work in Blender (which is crappy in comparison, but free, and present on the list of Contributors in Steam Workshop).

Waste of time to do that.

Better to just try and adapt at this point? make new framework mods to replace any existing framework mods that go paid only everything else is just a deviation.

Great idea, love it! <-- sarcasm

But honestly now. Imagine this:

1. A framework we all use gets paywalled.

2. We create replacement framework and re-adapt our mods to use replacement instead of original.

3. Author of replacement paywalls it. Because who the fuck can stop him?

4. We create another replacement and tremble in fear, praying this time the framework doesn't get paywalled.

5. It gets paywalled anyway, because Murphy's Law

At this point I guess the whole idea of frameworks will slowly but surely die out.

Same will happen for mods with dependencies. Everyone will rather steal resources and repack them than link to original mod.

It just doesn't stop when it's on a downhill roll.

Debacle.jpg

According to isoku that DMCA claim is a piece of bull****

Personally i've never heard of a mod "r000ts skyrim apocalypse".

There is apocalypse magic for skyrim but hell if i know what kind of textures could he possibly have taken from it.

According to Isoku selling mods is a good idea and Chesko is the first martyr of new modding world.

Actually this DMCA claim may in fact be bullshit, but who cares. DMCA has served as a tool of big corporations for years, to the dismay of little ones.

If it can serve us for a change, I won't complain. Still I wouldn't file a fake DMCA claim myself, just to avoid legal issues that might follow.

Well not to rain on any potential modders parade, but after this stupid stunt by Beth and Valve, I just don't see any future for any real talented modders. (okay I lie)

• you are already employed under their wings on a crappy salary. "Oh darn, but I was looking to become a real developer some day...."
  • Bethesda will just make some mediocre game as always so we can fix the broken patches and give it lifespan as we have been doing.

Hell after this stunt, I wouldn't doubt that Bethesda will never ever make DLCs again. They'll save money. No more new development. No more hiring professional voice actors. We have it all right here at Steam.

You know what? Making .75 cents an hour 100% profit sounds a whole lot better trying to make a living than .75 cents hoping in one day alone you'll atleast sell your mod once for a mere 25% cut out of it. Yikes... I bet they didn't think about that. Oh and to them. The one's who have the mods up for around that amount. Yeah, good luck trying to break the $100/$400 barrier. It's going to cost you far too many downloads. Probably to the point where just about everyone has it and you didn't hit your quota.

(sarcastic cat mode-on)
even better, Bethesda releases only the engine and the creation-kit
to create the game, we think modders.. :P

And to top it - they will call it "suporting and stimulating the modding community <insert some butt-licking sentences pointed at modders here>".

3-4 Steam Updates back i think.

Fucking assholes. So . . . backing up skyrim. You can back up the folder easily enough, but what about the registry?

Wait till offline mode disappears. FUCK!

Probably just a matter of time. As far as I can tell Ubisoft and EA have already made some single-player games impossible to play without constant internet connection. Can't give the examples because bad memory, but I've heard some of them. If you don't believe me, you can try googling it.

May I ask if greed is something inherent in human nature? Or is something that the system feeds?

Corporations, companies and other groups with nice names are expecting any cranny to make some (for minimal it could be) profit. Seems to be natural in these times when people appear to loose the focus and take certain behaviors as normal.

If a mod is created mainly for fun or another good reason other than greed I think that this discussion is for the pleasure to change ideas with the others and maintain a www conversation.

As I say every time I can here, I do love LL modders because they are people with an unique talent. So why all these talented gifted blessed people don't ask for payment as retribution for they mods? 

I personally think they do mods because they like to do or they don't like some parts of the original game or simply because they are rebels. Not the kind of "I don't know why I'm not satisfied" but people who are not agree with things as are presented. 

If tools will be required to do more mods because the actual tools are under a greedy regime then someone with the necessary skills will do them.

Humans are not fools; well, always got exceptions.

Does Not Malukah already work for bethesda? she did a few songs for ESO.

As far as I know: No

She was asked to do Beauty of Dawn, a fan song, which she did. Most soundtracks are normally done by artists contracted to do them.

Like a building company who has been hired to build something. After it is done they go separate ways until needed again.

You can read about it here.

http://www.malukah.com/tag/bethesda/

That sounded rather naughty, you realize that, right? :PPPP

Now that you mention it........yes

However I wouldn't object to her giving me royalties.

Does Not Malukah already work for bethesda? she did a few songs for ESO.

As far as I know: No

She was asked to do Beauty of Dawn, a fan song, which she did. Most soundtracks are normally done by artists contracted to do them.

Like a building company who has been hired to build something. After it is done they go separate ways until needed again.

You can read about it here.

http://www.malukah.com/tag/bethesda/

That sounded rather naughty, you realize that, right? :PPPP

Now that you mention it........yes

However I wouldn't object to her giving me royalties.

Looks as if she is working for everyone ,Halo  ESo .. etc but i digress 

Fuck the Man! I ain't working for him no more!

All this apocalyptic gloom and doom has got me looking at openmw. It's an open source re-creation of the morrowind engine. Only with a modern graphics engine. And source code. It's not getting a lot of attention right now, but that couldchange if Beth and Valve really want to lock things down for FO4/TESVI.

The engine may be free. Yet the Elder Scrolls brand is owned by Zenimax/Bethsoft. If they release anything even loosely resembling Morrowind, they will get sued by Beth.

Beth have already sued an indie developer because his upcoming game had "Scroll" in its name. It all ended in an agreement and name change, but the sole fact that Beth went to court with it, is appaling.

You have to find this key in the registry, highlight it and then export as a .reg file.

All this apocalyptic gloom and doom has got me looking at openmw. It's an open source re-creation of the morrowind engine. Only with a modern graphics engine. And source code. It's not getting a lot of attention right now, but that couldchange if Beth and Valve really want to lock things down for FO4/TESVI.

With all that IP that belongs to Bethesda? How long do you think that will last if it gets successful?

The game engine's in development for few years, even before Skyrim's launch. However, with the sea change in the way Valve/Beth/Zeni changed policy, the open-source engine may attract new blood to help complete it.

It may just as well attract the lawyers from Bethesda. It's based of Morrowind and has open-source in its description. A dangerous competition when Beth wants to monetize as much as possible.

Well you can't argue with that. free mod uses drm so paid mod will not be able to steal it's content either. So this goes both ways.

ive noticed that the "donations button" has been mentioned quite a lot lately. what happend to the donation button for the mods that had it on this site? have they been removed/moved, or have i just overlooked it?

Well with the paid system now in place i see little reason to keep the donate up. Unless they let the paid version go. It can't be both at the same time.

Steam gets a cut from sales. They don't get shit from donations. Main and probably only reason to remove donations button from SteamCommunity.

If you meant LL I'm not sure if there was a donation button to begin with...

well, steams "pay for mods" dont have anything to do with mods on LL...yet does it?

That goes back to the undefined 'authorized user' in the CK's EULA.  What or who is an authorized user the mod author can share content with?  How is sharing defined?  If I upload a mod to MediaFire is that sharing?  Is MediaFire an authorized user?  The mod is stored on their servers, are they allowed to have it?  Was I allowed to upload it to them in the first place and still be in compliance with that ambiguous EULA?

The way the EULA is worded and how the defintitions are set in the preamble, Bethesad can determine who/what is an authorized user.  But 'authorized user' is not legally styled in upper case or even defined.  They could feasably determine that sites like Nexus and LL are NOT authorized users and NO YOU CANNOT share with them.  Basically, the mechanics of the contract are in place to make modding a Steam/Valve only affair.  If a mod site isn't sanctioned as one of these undefined 'authorized users' you can't share with/upload to them.  Bethesda simply hasn't done it yet.

Why don't we ask who or what "authorized user" is. They'll most probably respond with "legitimate owner of the copy of the game" though.

If they don't respond we can still assume whatever we want. It's too late to specify, so it's for court to decide.

This means lawyer vs lawyer battle, but as far as I know, everything is legal as long as it's not explicitly forbidden, so it should be relatively easy to win for someone like us.

Wow, they haven't updated in a million years but now they shit out a brand new version.

One way to fix their little red wagon is to not use version 5.  I mean NO ONE mod with it and plainly state on mod pages that their v5 is not supported.  If no one mods with, there will not be a need for it and if there is no need, no one will buy it.  And they can sit there behind their paywall in Valve Fortress and lament that no one is coming.

I see a major flaw in your thought process. You are obviously assuming that the old version will be available for download indefinitelly.

Schlangster can take the old version down any second after releasing 5.0.

I'm sure somone will make a backup of 4.1 and reupload it somewhere, but Schlangster will then file DMCA complaint. One after another.

He will keep doing so until all old version are gone from legal websites making torrents the only source of 4.1 and making distribution of 4.1 illegal.

Very sad.

What shall we call the chosen one?

Cmdr. Shepard!

Take the green door shepard!

This comparison to the storyling of ME is very accurate. Gabe is trying to be the vanguard of our destruction!

What we need to all realize is that we are ALL Cmdr. Shepard!!!!!!

But acutally we are more like the protheans or even just the keepers. We will be long gone before people like shepard show up to change things for the better. We need to keep those beacons going somewhere hidden for a while for them to find later so gaberen does not succeed in taking over the citadel.

A person does have a right to charge for their labor, if they see fit.

That being said, if doing so flies in the face of established tradition

and widely held cultural views, they can also expect to face outrage

and hostility, and would be naive to think otherwise.

If some guy had set up his own website to sell his stuff, I don't really

care. I can just walk away.

When powerful, well-financed interests get involved, who have the ability

to casually and callously degrade or destroy something myself and

many others enjoy, it becomes a threat I won't ignore. Mostly, I just

feel really disappointed. I've told co-workers about my modding activity,

and they often say "Maybe you can get money for doing it" to which I

respond "That's not what it's about, It's about people sharing and helping

each other out, and I want to give something back"

How fake and ethical can be the freedom of selling mods either from the side of a game company or from the side of a modder.

I recently have followed the guidance and opinion of Sacremas from: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/43043-skyrim-modding-guide/and as i am in the process installing the mods I had with the NMM way I start wondering because of the recent events that the game company + the distributor had the fine idea to give permission to anyone to sell mods especially to the modders or anyone else(by the way from donation possibility a modder can earn more than the squiz agreement with big sharks).

So as I started to fix again my game I had Skyrim and the official DLCs and the HRTPs and we have our game in the basic standard company base game which now costs single 3,74Euro and the Legendary Edition with the 3 DLCs 10,19 Euro. Yep it is an old game have sold and due the time which is passing the prices are going down.

And as you know that you can upload mods to your game you start with the basic ones, first for something to fix all the bugs which the company never paid anyone to fix them. So we have 3 Unofficial DLCs each one to fix bugs in the certain DLC. Unofficial? OK. After you may choose to change the ugly body textures which the company never cared about it and perhaps you would like to add some weapons or armors or a house or two.

So you must download the mods and you need NMM or MOD or Steam (don't know if there are other options) so we have dependency No1 to download what you like. Perhaps all the Unofficial patches make dependency No2. We are now in our new game and we want to download a character which a modder had made or we must made. The modder in order to made the character has used Dependency No3 The skeleton for example XP32 most people use, body types UNP, textures e.t.c. and after a modder with the skeleton goes and sell a companion which, depending on the creation, perhaps has the following dependencies: skse - skyui - body type - textures - meshes - animation e.t.c.

In many cases a modder use many tools and perhaps he hasn't any license for commercial use and perhaps he has some original textures and meshes which he fix them from other modders or perhaps a script which he have seen in another  companion mod but for most complicated mods he depends on tools skeleton - body types - scripts. Same thing goes for too many cases and in many mods you have the information from where and what dependecies a modder have used. Usually it has requirements and credits thanks about which mods are needed and who have helped.

And so we have dependencies from: 1.download tools, 2.Unofficial Patches, 3.other tools which we have used, 4. Skeletons, Skins, textures, meshes, animations, scripts, and that goes on.... In the end how legal ethical can it be to sell something which depends on others work and if you sell it to whom the money must go?

As for the below when someone gives a tool free of use with only rule to buy the game how legal is after to ask for any dependency on his tool ? He has given it in the first place especially to benefit and promote it's product.

JC

Tes pa the wind is changing....

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Creation_Kit

The Creation Kit is Skyrim's modding kit. Included are the tools needed to create custom content, using the game's files. In an interview with Todd Howard, he expressed extreme interest in what Elder Scrolls fans would do with the kit. He also stated he had hoped to have it released on opening day.

It was confirmed on December 1, 2011 that Skyrim's construction kit would be released alongside support for the Steam Workshop. [7].

"We’re excited to share news that we’ve been working closely with Valve to integrate
into the Creation Kit. Using the Workshop, you’ll have free user content with the push of a button. The Creation Kit will bundle your mod and upload it to the Workshop, where everyone can browse, rate, and flag mods for download. You’ll be able to do this from any web device, including your smartphone. Like a live Netflix queue when you fire up
, mods you flagged will be automatically downloaded and installed. Everyone here is really excited about the opportunities and possibilities this opens up for our entire community.
Prefer to use existing modding sites? Not a problem. You’ll still be able to upload/share/access Skyrim mods on fan-created mod sites.

Change of policy from the company

On 2nd March 2015, Bethesda confirmed that the Steam Workshop file limits were removed and that a beta version was released to adapt to the removed limits[8].

A person does have a right to charge for their labor, if they see fit.

That being said, if doing so flies in the face of established tradition

and widely held cultural views, they can also expect to face outrage

and hostility, and would be naive to think otherwise.

If some guy had set up his own website to sell his stuff, I don't really

care. I can just walk away.

When powerful, well-financed interests get involved, who have the ability

to casually and callously degrade or destroy something myself and

many others enjoy, it becomes a threat I won't ignore. Mostly, I just

feel really disappointed. I've told co-workers about my modding activity,

and they often say "Maybe you can get money for doing it" to which I

respond "That's not what it's about, It's about people sharing and helping

each other out, and I want to give something back"

This. Exactly this.

You know what? I'm going to be sincere with myself about Skyrim, something I haven't done at all until now because I was too much of a fanboy to see. If this was an awesome title and the option for paid mods with an actually good deal had been there from the beginning, it wouldn't be so bad. But vanilla Skyrim is fucking mediocre, with a huge world but a tiny plot. Considering that I MUST absolutely play with mods in order to have fun with it, and that the series has extended its popularity and longetivity thanks to free mods, this move is beyond disgusting.

You know what? I'm going to be sincere with myself about Skyrim, something I haven't done at all until now because I was too much of a fanboy to see. If this was an awesome title and the option for paid mods with an actually good deal had been there from the beginning, it wouldn't be so bad. But vanilla Skyrim is fucking mediocre, with a huge world but a tiny plot. Considering that I MUST absolutely play with mods in order to have fun with it, and that the series has extended its popularity and longetivity thanks to free mods, this move is beyond disgusting.

I dont think I would ever like the idea of paid mods, but I do have to agree with you on skyrim. I actually didn't like it too much when i was playing it on the xbox, but soon afterwards i tried it on the pc and with mods, it became my 3rd favorite game of all time. Where as Oblivion was like PFFFT no mods needed for me, but that could just be me being dumb..i dunno.

I have read 60 pages of this LOL.

I have decided to bail on Skyrim and modding it completely.

I'm just a small potato and unheard of so I won't be missed anyway. :)

Since Unreal Engine is now free as in free beer, I have downloaded it and started a new project to occupy my time. It is Skyrimish in it's design and a LARGE open world to fill with content. It will keep me busy for the rest of my days.

best

I don't like the Nexus but you should seriously endorse this mod: Give Me Money For No Reason if you have an account there - it's only 14 endorsements away from the file of the month.

Some people were actually complaining how a joke mod is Top 1.  And here I thought pro-paidmods zombies in the Steam forum were already bad enough.  Faith in human intelligence down the drain again.

I see a major flaw in your thought process. You are obviously assuming that the old version will be available for download indefinitelly.

Schlangster can take the old version down any second after releasing 5.0.

I'm sure somone will make a backup of 4.1 and reupload it somewhere, but Schlangster will then file DMCA complaint. One after another.

He will keep doing so until all old version are gone from legal websites making torrents the only source of 4.1 and making distribution of 4.1 illegal.

Very sad.

The internet is a very large place, and pirates tend to not care about legal complaints.

I dont think I would ever like the idea of paid mods, but I do have to agree with you on skyrim. I actually didn't like it too much when i was playing it on the xbox, but soon afterwards i tried it on the pc and with mods, it became my 3rd favorite game of all time. Where as Oblivion was like PFFFT no mods needed for me, but that could just be me being dumb..i dunno.

when skyrim first came out, i refused to play it after i saw how ugly the textures were.

Guys, really? I am away for a few hours and have to catch up on ump-teen pages in this thread? One might think this is a topic that sent a quake through the internet..... :P

Thanks for that link, the voice fits perfectly for the interpretation of the song. I have no idea why I can't post a positive comment on youtube for that song, even tough I am logged in, but at least I had the chance to give it a thumbs up.

And again: I have been called "doom-sayer" in the Steam chat before I got a one week ban (which was lifted after a day, though), but I don't mind modders whoring themselves out to the corporations as much as I fear that future mod implementation will only be available through Steam Workshop. And we know their stance on adult mods.....

I hope when that day comes, LL will re-consider the stance on Mod support for pirated versions of a game.

I have to go and wash out my mouth, again, with soap, this time for endorsing pirating of future games (last time I had that urge was when I said that I would prefer to buy games through Origin or Uplay than buying them from Steam in the future)

Archived