A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

Jeees this is still going?

Valve and Beth tried something, people didn't like it so it didn't work out, end of story.

I mean really what have changed? Other than a few imo brilliant mod authors getting deathtreaths for trying to take their hobby to the next logical step, i don't seem to see much change.

And speaking of that, I started my current career on a hobby level. doing stuff for free, favors here and there, later i was able to make some extra money of it and ultimately turn it into my fulltime job in my own business. i guess i should just eat a bullet right now since it would seem i have committed not only one but two deadly sins, one making a profit from my hobby and two making a business with the goal to make more money. I wonder where the line is between being a business and being an evil greedy business?

And if it's really such a bad thing it will resolve itself all on its own without the need for an army of internet pitchforks, like the saying against censorship goes: Let the person speak and if his words are truly wicked they will in turn insure his his downfall. and if Valves plan is to fuck its customers it don't really matter if the customer bitches about it, but if the customer is not there to be fucked Valve can only fuck themselves.

But but but they owe it to there fans to not be evil and stuff cause we made them what they are blablabla. Alright let's get this straight Valve, Beth, Blizzard, Rockstar, Lord Gabe who ever you like to call god in this matter owes you jack shit, just as you don't owe them anything, they made a product, you bought the product or you didnt, end of transaction something for something etc. If you choose to be a fan and praise them that's all on you.

Picture this if you will: I have been getting milk from a milkman for many years and i have been happy with that milk i have recommended it to friends and family, but one day the milkman decides he going to sell his milk to the company Mighty Milks, because they liked his milk and they want take part of that by offering to bring him into their fold, but now i have to buy my milk at the store instead. but wait how could he do this me? so i confront him yelling SHAME ON YOU! as your loyal customer you owe it to me to continue doing things they way i want you too, because you owe me everything mr milky man! terrified by this outburst the milkman calls his wife and tells her that they might need to cancel the vacation they both so badly needed after years of hard work, but my outburst had done its damage, and the milkman had face that he was never going to fulfill his dream of getting his own cows and plants to produce the milk he really wanted to make while being able to provide for his family.

Clearly the milkman is a jackass here, but really the true villains where those bastards over at Mighty Milk trying to enable him to make money of his product to mutual benefits for them.

Moral of the story is: Just because you are a user, consumer and or fan of something or someone does mean that they are now in debt to you in any way, and if you don't like what they are doing now in compare what they used to do. don't use or buy there product, and if you really want what they used to do so bad, go get your own cow and make your own freaking milk, don't know how to make milk?

Well learn! 

Sorry if that got a bit ranty, like many others i was shall we say sceptical of this at first and had a lot of questions in my mind, but seeing how the community have responded to this made me cry a little. 

I mean really what have changed? Other than a few imo brilliant mod authors getting deathtreaths for trying to take their hobby to the next logical step, i don't seem to see much change.

Really?, really? you honestly don't know?

"Just because you are a user, consumer and or fan of something or someone does mean that they are now in debt to you in any way"

The fuck are you on about?

Valve and Beth tried something, people didn't like it so it didn't work out, end of story.

And speaking of that, I started my current career on a hobby level. doing stuff for free, favors here and there, later i was able to make some extra money of it and ultimately turn it into my fulltime job in my own business. i guess i should just eat a bullet right now since it would seem i have committed not only one but two deadly sins, one making a profit from my hobby and two making a business with the goal to make more money. I wonder where the line is between being a business and being an evil greedy business?

And if it's really such a bad thing it will resolve itself all on its own without the need for an army of internet pitchforks, like the saying against censorship goes: Let the person speak and if his words are truly wicked they will in turn insure his his downfall. and if Valves plan is to fuck its customers it don't really matter if the customer bitches about it, but if the customer is not there to be fucked Valve can only fuck themselves.

But but but they owe it to there fans to not be evil and stuff cause we made them what they are blablabla. Alright let's get this straight Valve, Beth, Blizzard, Rockstar, Lord Gabe who ever you like to call god in this matter owes you jack shit, just as you don't owe them anything, they made a product, you bought the product or you didnt, end of transaction something for something etc. If you choose to be a fan and praise them that's all on you.

Picture this if you will: I have been getting milk from a milkman for many years and i have been happy with that milk i have recommended it to friends and family, but one day the milkman decides he going to sell his milk to the company Mighty Milks, because they liked his milk and they want take part of that by offering to bring him into their fold, but now i have to buy my milk at the store instead. but wait how could he do this me? so i confront him yelling SHAME ON YOU! as your loyal customer you owe it to me to continue doing things they way i want you too, because you owe me everything mr milky man! terrified by this outburst the milkman calls his wife and tells her that they might need to cancel the vacation they both so badly needed after years of hard work, but my outburst had done its damage, and the milkman had face that he was never going to fulfill his dream of getting his own cows and plants to produce the milk he really wanted to make while being able to provide for his family.

Clearly the milkman is a jackass here, but really the true villains where those bastards over at Mighty Milk trying to enable him to make money of his product to mutual benefits for them.

Moral of the story is: Just because you are a user, consumer and or fan of something or someone does mean that they are now in debt to you in any way, and if you don't like what they are doing now in compare what they used to do. don't use or buy there product, and if you really want what they used to do so bad, go get your own cow and make your own freaking milk, don't know how to make milk?

Well learn! 

Sorry if that got a bit ranty, like many others i was shall we say sceptical of this at first and had a lot of questions in my mind, but seeing how the community have responded to this made me cry a little. 

Where to start..

#1 You need to understand that this isn't about businesses owing anyone anything. This is about good and bad business. What Valve is doing right now is terrible business. 

If you treat your customers like shit, you may not see your business fall in the short term, but it will bite you in the ass later. Customers are what make a corporation, Valve, Bethesda, Rockstar, everybody.

Without customers, these corporations/companies would be nothing.

#2 No-one is saying anything is wrong with someone receiving money for doing what they like doing. The problem is that people are becoming blinded by money. Money is a means, nothing more, that is all it is. 

#3 Valve has taken this approach in a terrible way. It doesn't even help that the CEO of the company clearly does not care, but this has been obvious before anyway.

Truly, if you ran a company I would have nothing to do with it, because your attitude to how other people feel is absolutely horrendous. 

Well learn! 

Where to start..

#1 You need to understand that this isn't about businesses owing anyone anything. This is about good and bad business. What Valve is doing right now is terrible business. 

If you treat your customers like shit, you may not see your business fall in the short term, but it will bite you in the ass later. Customers are what make a corporation, Valve, Bethesda, Rockstar, everybody.

Without customers, these corporations/companies would be nothing.

#2 No-one is saying anything is wrong with someone receiving money for doing what they like doing. The problem is that people are becoming blinded by money. Money is a means, nothing more, that is all it is.

Truly, if you ran a company I would have nothing to do with it, because your attitude to how other people feel is absolutely horrendous. 

Right? LMAO i thought it was just me that thought that, well at least you handled things a little better than me, i just couldn't believe this guy!.

Your story is not told correctly you left out the part where

Mighty Milk told the milk man don't dare charge anything for your milk or you will be punished , and the kindly milk man delivered the milk to everyone anyways . And we were thankful

and gave him great praise and adoration that he would so spend his time for us .... and not bend to Mighty Milks will .

And you also forgot where Mighty Milk seeing that the milk was wanted and loved did think to profit from the milkmans milk bye stealing it from the milk man and charging corporate GabeN wannabes like you for it .

Let's list some names.

People who gained lot of respect in my books. Really deserve to be praised.

-Fore, who said NO and NO

-DarkRider. TESA has been invited by Valve as service provider just like Nexus, except he didn't accepted the offer.

HERE

"To be a service provider a site has to get the invite. We had an invite, we did not accept, and would not accept because paid mods violate the tenets of our site.
As I said, we respect a modder's right to choose, but our choice for TESA is to remain free. That is our official stance.
"

See Nexus? For someone with balls and real love for modding wasn't that difficult to say NO to be a provider and take part at all in this shit.

-Emma on Bethesda Forum. HER POST is priceless.

-nerdofpray the Bethesda Beggar mod must be supported

And now the biggest jerks I've seen so far:

-Xilverbulet  of Midas Money putting pop-ups "buy my mod" in the free mod, biggest jerk move that clearly picture the character.

HERE

-Frozunswaidon acting like a jerk not granting permissions while he was seeking permissions to sell his mods. "What do I win?" A big FUCK.

HERE

-The SkyUI guy , just squalid.

"they are used to it, they would want to rip my head off if I tried to take it away"

So you let the outdated version around otherwise we would think that you are a complete jerk… Why would we have to think that?

-All the bunch on workshop waiting for some fool to pay for their shit. To all of you a BIG middle finger! Won't see a dime from me, EVER.

If anyone has some other names, please list them.

Was the hobby you turned into a buisness developing third-party modifications for software products? Mods aren't like figurines or hand-crafted sex toys, they're not finished products in and of themselves. They're useless without software that may have cost the end-user 60 dollars or more at launch, combined with the cost of dlc transactions with the developer (which can double or even triple the full cost of a game). It's positively anti-consumer to say that a mod containing a single armor set or sword should cost $1.99, as it both contributes to the nickle and diming of the video-gaming public and represents a massive over-estimation of the worth of the content. (Given that a full game may cost 60 bucks, how could a single modified armor asset represent anything approaching 1/60th of the game's value?)

The furor being expressed is a normal and healthy part of consumer opposition to a corporate practice.

Companies have a responsibility to be good corporate citizens. A key aspect of this is treating the consumer fairly and not attempting to wring cents from the consumer like some sort of dish cloth.

This analogy doesn't make any sense. Milkmen are not purveyors of milk, they're merely transporters who ferry product between their corporate masters and consumers. Also, the whole reason the market moved from milkmen to buying at the store was because home refrigeration tech allowed for long term storage of milk by consumers, making the milkman obsolete. The milkman didn't make a deal with some corporation, the consumer told the corporation to stop wasting their time with the milkman.

I will say again, corporations have a responsibility to the consumer base. They musn't attempt to rip them off, and nickle and diming the consumer by charging for mods of infinitesimal worth is nothing more than a con.

Besides, given the 75/25 split in favor of valve and bethsoft, the modders are getting ripped off as well, especially since most modders do not generate content that could earn above the minimum value for payment as set by valve. Only a small number of modders could hope to profit from this scheme, and even they'll be harmed as the collaborative nature of the modding environment decays, denying them resource packs and other forms of content that are essential to delivering top quality mods.

I'll say again that if paying modders is the goal, then let modders benefit from a sharing of ad revenues at sites like the nexus. After all, modders are the sole reason anyone sees a nexus ad in the first place. Or hell, perhaps top workshop modders could get a share of bethsoft's revenues. We know modders are the only reason people are buying skyrim nowadays.

Well learn! 

What a sad reply, totally clueless and bit dumb bah :(

Just a genuine curious question, how many of you guys asking for a Donation Button have actually contributed to said Mod Author to support them ? 

Well, since there is one on Nexus right now, I've personally donated to 3 people, 4 if you count Dark0ne.

I don't have much money, I'm not rich or even middle class. I try to do what I can with what little I have. There are people with far more who may have not done it, but I digress.

I may not be able to donate in the "now", but I try to when I can. Unfortunately I am a person who has been taken to the responsibility of a head household I'm not even an adult, nor do I have kids. I wish I could donate to even more than I have, but it's a big number. The things I can give as alternatives to money I cannot give because most of the authors are outside of the US.

I honestly feel like (and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here), when people say "modders have to pay bills too", but it's the same for the people on the other side as well. I'm still not saying that they don't deserve anything, but life is crazy for others too.

I have my own question too, do people consider some donations as acceptable donations? Like, if I even give you a $1, would that make the person angry because it was a small donation?

The only time I would EVER find money in modding being acceptable is in the following condition:

Okay, let's say a big name mod team or modder like the team behind Falskaar came out one day and said: "Okay people. There's been a flood/tornado/mass shooting/insert disaster here in (place) and/or we want to help fight starvation and/or poverty and we want to help the victims by raising money for charity. So we're starting a donation drive. If we reach X number of dollars, we will update our mod with a new part. Just a reminder: All processed will go directly to charity, not to our own pockets."

Just a genuine curious question, how many of you guys asking for a Donation Button have actually contributed to said Mod Author to support them ? 

Well, since there is one on Nexus right now, I've personally donated to 3 people. 

I don't have much money, I'm not rich or even middle class. I try to do what I can with what little I have. There are people with far more who may have not done it, but I digress.

I may not be able to donate in the "now", but I try to when I can. Unfortunately I am a person who has been taken to the responsibility of a head household I'm not even an adult, nor do I have kids. I wish I could donate to even more than I have, but it's a big number. The things I can give as alternatives to money I cannot give because most of the authors are outside of the US.

I honestly feel like (and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here), when people say "modders have to pay bills too", but it's the same for the people on the other side as well. I'm still not saying that they don't deserve anything, but life is crazy for others too.

So basically its based on ones situation that one would donate/support, what makes the situation of Mod Authors who are on steam workshop any different if their situation RL kinda  requires it ? 

Again : I dont support the idea of the paid SW completely , I just saw people directing hate at the Mod Makers since they basically cant do anything else....

I have my own question too, do people consider some donations as acceptable donations? Like, if I even give you a $1, would that make the person angry because it was a small donation?

It wouldn't Modders are always grateful to the people who donate I know I am as well 

Well, since there is one on Nexus right now, I've personally donated to 3 people. 

So basically its based on ones situation that one would donate/support, what makes the situation of Mod Authors who are on steam workshop any different if their situation RL kinda  requires it ? 

Nothing, other than they're producing content for money. Although this comes at a price of being subjected to modder/customer relationship.

I honestly don't know how their life is, and admittedly after giving some thought about it I can see why they would do it. 

If I was at that level of skill now, I would personally not take my craft there though. The way that the system is set I can't see anyway an author can "win" even if they receive business.

What I'm saying is, it doesn't seem sustainable for someone who needs money to pursue something else. 

I also saw your edit, and I understand. I still remember what happened to Isoku and Chesko, mainly Chesko since he's disappeared now. Afterwards it went down the line.

Nothing, other than they're producing content for money. Although this comes at a price of being subjected to modder/customer relationship.

I honestly don't know how their life is, and admittedly after giving some thought about it I can see why they would do it. 

If I was at that level of skill now, I would personally not take my craft there though. The way that the system is set I can't see anyway an author can "win" even if they receive business.

What I'm saying is,   it doesn't seem sustainable for someone who needs money to pursue something else.

Exactly , again it depends on the situation of said Mod Maker in RL , 

If I was at that level of skill now, I would personally not take my craft there though. The way that the system is set I can't see anyway an author can "win" even if they receive business.  it doesn't seem sustainable for someone who needs money to pursue something else.

But for such mod makers every cent counts .....

There are some valid points here and I undestand both sides of the argument.My main arguement is why they decided to do this so long AFTER Skyrim was released? Now they are only succeding in dividing the very community that I have been a part of since Hammerfell.They could have waited and implemented this system BEFORE the release of a NEW game.I have lost all respect to those asswipes for doing it this way.

What I'm saying is,   it doesn't seem sustainable for someone who needs money to pursue something else.

Exactly , again it depends on the situation of said Mod Maker in RL , 

If I was at that level of skill now, I would personally not take my craft there though. The way that the system is set I can't see anyway an author can "win" even if they receive business.  it doesn't seem sustainable for someone who needs money to pursue something else.

But for such mod makers every cent counts .....

I suppose so, after seeing your last statement.

Actually, you typing that made me feel a bit more at ease. I've considered sending $1-2 to multiple authors, but I was afraid it would seem like an insult if I sent that much.

6 figure item sales.

What would you consider sustainable?

That's interesting, thanks for linking that. 

"5. If a modder finds a new way to do something, they are less likely to share that information as it can be monetized. This will reduce the quailty of mods as a whole if knowledge is horded."

nice argument

patents and competition are biggest enemy of human progress

I don't even want get personal with my own situation pathetic as it is , people will laugh at my own setup and go " really ?" .

Just stating not all mod makers are so well off or were born in Western First World  Countries , Because attacking Mod Makers is really not a solution at this point .

People are not asking the right questions all are going for hatred thats my issue with the scenario

There are some valid points here and I undestand both sides of the argument.My main arguement is why they decided to do this so long AFTER Skyrim was released? Now they are only succeding in dividing the very community that I have been a part of since Hammerfell.They could have waited and implemented this system BEFORE the release of a NEW game.I have lost all respect to those asswipes for doing it this way.

Skyrim is likely being used for this because bethsoft wants a test-bed for a more heavily monetized modding system in future releases. The guys designing the next big game are probably looking at what happens in the next few weeks/months in order to determine if making this standard ( in new releases) is viable. The existing community also eases some of the potential "failure to launch" risks that bethesda might otherwise suffer. With a new game bethesda has to wait for modders to migrate to the new game and it's new systems, develop content, and release. With the existing community you can get things like SkyUI slapping on a higher version number and charging money in a lot less time. Less risk that the paid system would be a content graveyard. Even better for them, doing this with skyrim means they get to profit in the interim between now and the release of their next title.

Skyrim is likely being used for this because bethsoft wants a test-bed for a more heavily monetized modding system in future releases. The guys designing the next big game are probably looking at what happens in the next few weeks/months in order to determine if making this standard ( in new releases) is viable. The existing community also eases some of the potential "failure to launch" risks that bethesda might otherwise suffer. With a new game bethesda has to wait for modders to migrate to the new game and it's new systems, develop content, and release. With the existing community you can get things like SkyUI slapping on a higher version number and charging money in a lot less time. Less risk that the paid system would be a content graveyard. Even better for them, doing this with skyrim means they get to profit in the interim between now and the release of their next title.

Personally I dont mind  paid Mods going up on the Steam Work Shop , as long as there are alternative sites Like the Nexus / LL with free mods etc.

"5. If a modder finds a new way to do something, they are less likely to share that information as it can be monetized. This will reduce the quailty of mods as a whole if knowledge is horded."

This is the part I agree.

Sharing of knowledge and collaboration has been the core.

Competition is now in the way. fuck this shit

Archived