Chinese user selling SexLab mods for money

Maybe we can just pull chinese translations for now. However I'm not entirely sure what will come of that. Milling about doing nothing won't change much and the nature of this site just makes it hard to come to any definite solution, or a reasonable solution.

The link here might be FNIS and Fore though I'm not sure what he'll think of the situation if he was informed.

Maybe we can just pull chinese translations for now. However I'm not entirely sure what will come of that. Milling about doing nothing won't change much and the nature of this site just makes it hard to come to any definite solution, or a reasonable solution.

The link here might be FNIS and Fore though I'm not sure what he'll think of the situation if he was informed.

As a drastic measure to cut off their source of mods, I could easily ban all Chinese originating IP addresses from the site, but that'd be massively unfair to the many innocent users.

Making it more difficult on Chinese users to access original versions/translations does nothing but help him sell more at the end of the day. This post is mainly for awareness so more people know what's going on.

If 3DM is unwilling to take action against it, the best thing we could do is get Chinese translations into more of our mods, including them for free. So if anybody knows Chinese+English really well, I'd encourage them to start offering skse/string translation files for their favorite mods to include with their download. Edit: Infact I should probably mention this suggestion in the main post.

As a drastic measure to cut off their source of mods, I could easily ban all Chinese originating IP addresses from the site, but that'd be massively unfair to the many innocent users.

Making it more difficult on Chinese users to access original versions/translations does nothing but help him sell more at the end of the day. This post is mainly for awareness so more people know what's going on, if 3DM is unwilling to take action against it, the best thing we could do is get Chinese translations into more of our mods, including them for free. So if anybody knows Chinese+English really well, I'd encourage them to start offering skse/string translation files for their favorite mods to include with their download. Edit: Infact I should probably mention this suggestion in the main post.

In addition, maybe the modders could add a disclaimer that mods are free and that if they bought the mod that they were ripped off. It's something the Fansubbers do at the start and during the commercials on the shows that they have subtitled.

Rather than pulling back and removing translated versions we could instead get more active help from those users to come and make sure the translated versions are readily available here and help make it known they are available here.

Lets cut the legs out from under him by making it known where to get the latest updates themselves for free instead of having to pay for someone else to provide them.

For anyone who is a member of those boards please let your friends there know that the mods are here for free and that they are always welcome to get them from here.  Also let us know which mods lack translated versions and if you can help us in making properly translated versions available.

Apparently what he is actually "selling" is an installer that installs all of the mods as a group. Effectively he has repackaged and rebranded these mods, if we make it easy enough for them to get the mods here his motive for his package will dry up and blow away.  That we might gain some additional friends in another country is just a bonus.

Edit: Ashal seems to be on the same wavelength (and faster at the keyboard than I am today ;)).

Methods like this are not unusual, this happened to open-source software as well. Though often the sites that are doing this are charging you for the download, and not for the actual software, so it remains an legal limbo at best. What the affected open-source project did against it, and what LL could do is: Make a big red banner on the front page, warning the user from third-party-vendors, saying that the software on this site will always be free and should be only downloaded from here. I think this is all LL can do.

I think directly pointing towards this user and notifying everyone who visits LL that he's just making money out of it and LL has the real deal would likely be the best thing to do.

It's punch in the balls for him and his reputation, whoever he is.. or she or whatever. And shows that LL has the up to date stuff, for free.

Internationally, it could be difficult to stem a problem like this.  Square Enix had an issue with hackers using the online gaming without purchase of an online account.  I think a group doing this was based out of China and they had to go through drastic measures to stop the majority of this, but legally they were able to accomplish almost nothing.  I understand this is a different issue, but I know that when addressing legal issues from country to country, things can be difficult, expensive and time consuming.

I am only a user of the mods, but it does piss me off that someone is profiting off other people's hard work, especially when they offer it free.  I have nothing against the Chinese.  Assholes are assholes, no matter where they're from.  Some people out there have some serious issues and will never change.  Sometimes though, what goes around, comes around.  For these scumbags, I hope it comes around.

Rather than pulling back and removing translated versions we could instead get more active help from those users to come and make sure the translated versions are readily available here and help make it known they are available here.

Lets cut the legs out from under him by making it known where to get the latest updates themselves for free instead of having to pay for someone else to provide them.

For anyone who is a member of those boards please let your friends there know that the mods are here for free and that they are always welcome to get them from here.  Also let us know which mods lack translated versions and if you can help us in making properly translated versions available.

Apparently what he is actually "selling" is an installer that installs all of the mods as a group. Effectively he has repackaged and rebranded these mods, if we make it easy enough for them to get the mods here his motive for his package will dry up and blow away.  That we might gain some additional friends in another country is just a bonus.

Edit: Ashal seems to be on the same wavelength (and faster at the keyboard than I am today ;)).

Maybe if we offered a similar All-in-one or a "base" package with add-on modules it would also help with the case. Meaning that we offer the same thing but for free VS his price of 8 bucks Canadian for the largest package. Some people are willing to drop 8 bucks for convenience (I've dropped this amount of money for slots in Warframe)

Otherwise I'm out, I think I'll need to have my over-reactive state calm down before I can even think of suggesting remotely rational decisions.

Couldn't you actually put the information in the mod? That way people who do buy it will at least realise they got ripped off and kick up a fuss on his site and demand refunds etc.

And as for Bethesda, as most people have said the less they know about this site the better, to be honest, especially if there's gonna be law suits surrounding it because someone will find out and claim that Bethesda is defending the adult mods and they'll try to distance themselves from it, possibly asking the guys to stop working on SL altogether

Most people when given Bethesdas license terms think they wouldn't last very long in a court of law.  By not challenging anyone they've so far managed to avoid having to rewrite them and I'd bet they won't risk it.   There's no gain for them in attacking this guy and they definitely have something to lose so don't count on them at all.

As I said, our best defense against this is to remove his ability to profit by making it well known where the mods come from and easy for the people he's selling his package to come and get their own copies without paying him.

could ashal write a difficult to remove script inside sexlab such that it tells users that they are infact using a free mod? It might be hard for us to reach them but users who use future versions of the mod could at least know they got ripped off and maybe do something from their side

I agree with Billypnapts. Sexlab should have an intro screen message on the MCM menu that says it is indeed free along with the rest of the mods and warning others that it's a violation to sell it or any mod that uses it. Of course that is not the solution to this particular problem, but a future counter measure. To this problem I believe Bethesda should be notified about this via e-mail and let them handle it however they like. You could also try finding out which chinese public agency is responsible for intelectual property (if there is any related to the internet even better) and contact them about it as well. There should be restrictions on his site entirely.

One thing to keep in mind here is that the reason this exists at all, the reason that they see any hope of making money from that collection, is the very reasonable frustrations of non-English speakers trying to use and find useful support for these and other mods. For them a package like this must appear very welcome. There is then an obvious disconnect between demand and supply: they want these mods, we have them, and I personally want my mods used by as many people as possible. I just wish I could provide translations myself.

With that in mind perhaps the long term answer here is provide more inroads for non-English speaking users on this site. Perhaps language-specific boards, a place for translators to co-operate and maintain links with mod authors, things along those lines.

Now, without giving out TMI about myself, I know all too well the amount of work, resources and trust (since I only speak English myself) that needs to be invested in the development and maintenance of multilingual services, so I'm not about to start demanding that these things be implemented. However, I will point out that the accused is exploiting an opportunity that we are not, that right now we do not have the means to exploit.

While we're seeing this as a case of infringement, of fraud, of an unfairly treated userbase, maybe what we're actually looking at is an opportunity to recruit a new audience.

could ashal write a difficult to remove script inside sexlab such that it tells users that they are infact using a free mod? It might be hard for us to reach them but users who use future versions of the mod could at least know they got ripped off and maybe do something from their side

That would only be kinda (there are still some fiddly ways around it involving decompilers) possible if Ashal incorporated it in an essential script SL couldn't work without and then didn't include the script source with the download. Which would hurt legitimate MODDERS interested in developing SexLab mods more than any thieves.

I agree with Billypnapts. Sexlab should have an intro screen message on the MCM menu that says it is indeed free along with the rest of the mods and warning others that it's a violation to sell it or any mod that uses it. Of course that is not the solution to this particular problem, but a future counter measure. To this problem I believe Bethesda should be notified about this via e-mail and let them handle it however they like. You could also try finding out which chinese public agency is responsible for intelectual property (if there is any related to the internet even better) and contact them about it as well. There should be restrictions on his site entirely.

Putting in something like a message or anything else could easily be removed, especially if they are translating things. Putting it in any artwork can be circumvented by replacing it with their own. As for a Chinese agency for intellectual property I think they would be more likely to help steal it than to stop it.

As others have mentioned, the best way would be to get translations and make them available here and let people there know where to get it for free. Also, if anyone who can translate Chinese well help with install instructions on some of the more complicated mods it may help as well.