This is fun to do, but it is impossible with frostfall mortality on.

Yeah, I figured that would be an issue. Vampires with actual sun damage are going to have problems as well.

Not sure what to do about it though. I could issue frost-protecting collars in the case of frostfall. Or I could just recommend disabling the lethal aspect of the mod until the race was won. I'm almost tempted to leave it as a planning consideration - but the long sleep time is going to defeat any timing issues. Of course I could always shorten the sleep period.

What do people think?

Even with mortality turned off, the player moves reallllly slowly when freezing. Perhaps a magical heat buff that only lasts a certain period of time. That would add incentive to finish as quickly as possible.

Provide cloaks or whatever other coverage is necessary for the player?

I don't know exactly how much clothing is required to keep from freezing if using Frostfall (don't use it myself 'cause I just want my character to look and wear what I want her to), but surely some fur boots and a cloak from something like Cloaks of Skyrim would at least help.

I believe to remember reading there will be a "Note," at the beginning of this quest.   How about a fire salts solution (almost like a resist fire only different) you drink the solution after reading the note.  The note would read:  "you best drink this or you're on you own."    The potion would give the pc a warmth buff for x amout of hours, after so many hours you probably lost anyway.   Having an option like this would give Frostfall users a choice, perhaps even trying the quests without it for hardcore gameplay.  

I should probably add that there are no plans to permanently deprive anyone of their gear. The worst that will happen is that you'll need to buy it back from Belethor or someone such.

So if you have Frostfall running, getting to the endpoint gets to be more about planning and survival than winning - which is Frostfall all over to my mind. There'd still be some help needed surviving up to 18 hours naked in a cage above the snowline though.

I suppose I could add a frost protection buff to the trigger that locks the cage. Still not sure what I'd do for the vampires though.

[edit]

How about a fire salts solution (almost like a resist fire only different) you drink the solution after reading the note.  The note would read: "you best drink this or you're on you own."

That could work too. Maybe only if Frostfall is running. Or just leave the potion in the cage for that matter.

Yeah, I'd suggest that you don't worry about frostfall or any interaction with similar mods until you get to a point where the mod is stable and running nicely with DA. Just make sure it runs nicely with as vanilla game as possible, with only this plugin's required mods.

Also, it's nice to see you're doing something with slavetats, it'd even be nice to see a simple mod that adds slavetats stuff after aggressive sexlab animations, since that would interact nicely with so many other mods in here.

I should probably add that there are no plans to permanently deprive anyone of their gear. The worst that will happen is that you'll need to buy it back from Belethor or someone such.

So if you have Frostfall running, getting to the endpoint gets to be more about planning and survival than winning - which is Frostfall all over to my mind. There'd still be some help needed surviving up to 18 hours naked in a cage above the snowline though.

I suppose I could add a frost protection buff to the trigger that locks the cage. Still not sure what I'd do for the vampires though.

[edit]

How about a fire salts solution (almost like a resist fire only different) you drink the solution after reading the note.  The note would read: "you best drink this or you're on you own."

That could work too. Maybe only if Frostfall is running. Or just leave the potion in the cage for that matter.

Just put a flaming brazier or a campfire close enough to the cage to act as a heat source. No need to get too fancy.

Looks interesting, but I'm getting a CTD on start-up when I install it.   Is the Death Alternative mod required for it to work?

Requires: Devious Devices, Zaz, Sexlab... The usual suspects

You missed a requirement, that's the message a CTD on startup gives you.

[edit]

Just put a flaming brazier or a campfire close enough to the cage to act as a heat source. No need to get too fancy.

I agree simple is best.  When I read the post about Frostfall this was the idea that sprung from my brain.  I then posted the thought in hopes it would help spring more ideas.   I do like the brazier idea, can a brazier be shrunk down in size, a mini brazier for in the cage? 

Frostfall's recommendations for compatibility for example if you want a custom heat source to work with it, is to put down a tiny vanilla campfire under your custom light, since the radius should be big enough to work. so just putting a small lit campfire under the cage should be enough.

Requires: Devious Devices, Zaz, Sexlab... The usual suspects.

Have those installed.
Just to be clear, it needs Devious Devices Assets and Devious Devices Integration both. I should probably amend the download page to make the clear.

It doesn't need the Expansion add-on yet, (but if I can find a set of high heels that I like and that I'm free to use that might well change).

Otherwise, I can't think what would be crashing offhand. I suppose a load order would be helpful at this point. Or if you're comfortable with Wrye Bash, try building a bashed patch and see if it complains of missing masters.

That's good for the cage, but if the mod starts you in the north, you'll die within 5 minutes.

Yeah, I know :) One of my favourite ways to start a new char was LAL's left for dead option, along with dropping all possesions at the start as an RP thing. Trying to get to safety with frostfall running could get intense. I could generally get to Winterhold if I started in the snow, but getting to anywhere with a transport link was challenging, especially with realistic needs running too. (Don't get me started on the girl who caught rockjoint from a wolf and had her running speed reduced...)

I guess I'm still tempted to leave the startup as the player's problem. If it's really a problem, the start and end points are going to be more or less under my control (they may be radiant, but they'll use markers I place) so I can always make sure there's a handy potion or bonfire to be found somewhere if it looks like the route needs it.

For the bonfire at the end, I'm going to need more than one cage. I'm thinking four contestant. I was going to have the cages in a line - but maybe a cross formation with the doors opening outwards and a brazier in the middle. Less obvious than having four braziers and it doesn't matter which cage the PC draws. I need to put in some CK time getting that setup right anyway.

[edit]

And of course, as pointed out earlier, Warmbodies could help a lot as well :)

That's a good idea. If you could find a way for the routes to kind of line up with giants' camps, those bonfires are perfect for warming up.

Edit: not straight lines to the camps, of course, but set them up so one of them is shows up as an icon on the minimap so the player could take a detour if necessary.

Sounds like fun. I did have a rough idea for a route that I've been thinking of as the "Stiff Nipple Tour Of Skyrim". It might be fun working out where all the possible sources of warmth are for that one.

I can imagine having judges at waypoints asking if the racers want to have sex - purely for the gain in body heat :D

[edit]

What I was saying earlier about a cross formation with a fire in the middle.

W1F4J1e.png

I'll need the platform because there's not always going to be level ground to place all these and I don't want to go flattening out areas if I can avoid it.

Yeah, getting things level with the ground is impossible.

I'm stuck in the cage. Slept for about 5 days. SQV says I'm at stage 40. I picked up the notes - might that have something to do with it?

edit: I assume the fact that the armbinder doesn't get removed is a feature? ;)

Sounds like fun. I did have a rough idea for a route that I've been thinking of as the "Stiff Nipple Tour Of Skyrim". It might be fun working out where all the possible sources of warmth are for that one.

I can imagine having judges at waypoints asking if the racers want to have sex - purely for the gain in body heat :D

You could also make them encounters I guess. I.e. someone walks up to you etc. Would play well with the tattoo: "Hey, you have something scribbled on you, let me read that... oh, how can I possibly ignore such a request from one such as you?" <insert scene here>.

[edit]

What I was saying earlier about a cross formation with a fire in the middle.

I'll need the platform because there's not always going to be level ground to place all these and I don't want to go flattening out areas if I can avoid it.

Love the layout.

I'm wondering, are these placed all the time, or are they enabled only during the quest? I hope the latter, because the former would make me memorize the access route if I encounter one, which can't be what our esteemed organizers intend?

I think it is. I like my armbinder, don't want someone to take away my toys...

Hmm, about armbinders... Organizers putting an actual lock on them, so you can't struggle out of them yourself? Would certainly give you an incentive to run as quick as you can, if the organizers unlock/remove it at the end of the race. (Just tossing it out there.)

The armbinder can be removed in 2 ways, assuming the basic Devious Devices setup (i.e. integration with minimum pre-requisites).

- struggle out of them (I blocked that in my install; way more fun that way) :D

- talk to someone to have them removed (doesn't work with gag, due to lack of speech)

There's an ArmbinderQuest keyword, I think, that should block it... I think. I haven't checked that deep in the Devious Device code.

Yeah, getting things level with the ground is impossible.

I'm stuck in the cage. Slept for about 5 days. SQV says I'm at stage 40. I picked up the notes - might that have something to do with it?

The cage is still a bit glitch-prone, I'm afraid. If you're at stage 40 you'd best use the console to either unlock the door or tcl to walk through the bars. I'll see about getting something more robust in place over the weekend.

The armbinder is a generic DD device and shouldn't be any harder to remove than they are usually. Or did you mean the fact that you don't get released from it when the quest ends? There should be a key in the chest if all goes according to plan, although I'm not sure the binder has an "unlock with key" option so that may be of limited usefulness :)

You could also make them encounters I guess. I.e. someone walks up to you etc. Would play well with the tattoo: "Hey, you have something scribbled on you, let me read that... oh, how can I possibly ignore such a request from one such as you?" .

Followed presently by the insertion of something else entirely :) Yeah, the tats could be fun like that :)

Love the layout.

I'm wondering, are these placed all the time, or are they enabled only during the quest? I hope the latter, because the former would make me memorize the access route if I encounter one, which can't be what our esteemed organizers intend?

They're going to be disabled unless the race is running. That's one reason it build it in a warehouse cell - It makes it easier to give all the bits the same enable parent so I can turn the whole lot on or off as a unit.

Then I just need to copy and paste the unit as needed and maybe add some stairs :)

Hmm, about armbinders... Organizers putting an actual lock on them, so you can't struggle out of them yourself? Would certainly give you an incentive to run as quick as you can, if the organizers unlock/remove it at the end of the race. (Just tossing it out there.)

Well, as a rule I want to reward player creativity. So if someone wants to struggle free and then (say) use Sx3 to enslave the other races before selling them at Kollaring and taking a leisurely stroll to the finish line, I'm fine with that. I also reckon that if someone has removal difficulty set to 5 then that's probably the difficulty level they enjoy, so why mess with it?

That said, there will be races where the armbinder is securely locked. The PC may even be told about it in advance. Got to keep 'em guessing :D

[...]

The armbinder is a generic DD device and shouldn't be any harder to remove than they are usually. Or did you mean the fact that you don't get released from it when the quest ends? There should be a key in the chest if all goes according to plan, although I'm not sure the binder has an "unlock with key" option so that may be of limited usefulness :)

[...]

Just a thought on providing "a key" at the end. I usually have DD set to consume keys on unlock, so that it is not a simple matter of running home to unlock myself if I am ever stuck. So one singular key would not be enough to unlock everything. Then again that might not be a bad thing, depending on what all was locked to begin with. ;)

Frostfall's recommendations for compatibility for example if you want a custom heat source to work with it, is to put down a tiny vanilla campfire under your custom light, since the radius should be big enough to work. so just putting a small lit campfire under the cage should be enough.

You get items put on you from the start, so it should be possible for those items to always include a custom collar with a frost resistance (or some other item, armbinder perhaps).

I think that is supposed to help the player survive cold .... any frostfall users that can confirm?

I know there's one collar - I thought it was from SD+ but I might be imagining that - that gives you 100% frost resistance. That seems a bit of a blunt instrument though. I'd prefer a solution that allows the player to be clever. Outwitting the elements is what Frostfall is all about, really.

Changing the subject, I've been playing with designs for racing tattoos. Just a couple so far. Murfk suggest that I might be better off to use designs with a solid background, rather than try and obliterate all designs to make sure mine displayed. So this is what I've been working on:

SqqYhHI.png

oNlMEQH.png

I'm in two minds about the "hate me..." one. On the one hand, the last thing I want to do is glorify misogyny. On the other ... a misogynistic attitude on behalf of the bad guys is very much in keeping with the theme and genre. (where "genre" in this instance means "bdsm" rather than "heroic fantasy")

prtson overhaul uses the collar with frost resistance, and I also think it's a little too much. I honestly think you should stop worrying about frostfall entirely at the moment, I use frostfall personally, but if I'm gonna end up in a situation with it that'll put in me in great peril, well, that's just life in skyrim. Just add that in later once you've finished with everything else.

My only real criticism would be that they're too clean.

In my opinion, if 'tattoos' or body writing/paint/etc is going to be added, it should be made (in photoshop or wherever) more by hand, not using text or shape tools (or at least minimizing their use, to a degree). I like the idea, though, that the PC and other participants would be 'branded' by the people in charge for the purpose of the event. :)