Guest endgameaddiction

Co Ops doesn't interest me either. One reason why I didn't touch up on the matter from previous posts. As far as vehicles. I think implementing them in the next sequel wouldn't be bad, but as Moore stated, keep it between quests. Not actually making them drivable. You wouldn't get the same exploration feel. it's logical to see human rebuilding population once again. And I'm sure not all vehicle schematics have been lost. Due to the resources around (200+ years after total devestation) You can't expect anything fancy like a Corvega or Chryslus rebuilt. Not with the quality of the metal that's out there in the waste that has been weathered for far too many years. Unless you want to take a trip to The Pitt where steel is being forged by slaves. See, now that is one way that, that city could become reborn. One of the major reasons why that DLC has made a lot of sense and holds a value to me. I do expect to see vehicles, but something like steampunk'ish that looks both vintage and futuristic in decompose rustic way. Just don't make it accessible to the player so it becomes a very easy way to travel. Then yes, that would take away the true exploration feel.

Why would having vehicles spoil exploration? You'd have get off your vehicle to properly explore anyway. It's actually the fast travelling what spoils exploring. I'd say remove FT and add vehicles. Add quests to get various vehicles and add training requirements as perks to use all vehicles. Some vehicles can be powered by power cells as in FO2, and some others like vertibirds can have a nuclear-powered engine. Perhaps a solar-powered vehicle that only runs while the sun's out? I'd definitely would like to fly a verti over the wasteland. :)

Although I have to say, I don't think the Gamebyro engine can handle vehicles of any kind. Horses perhaps, as in Skyrim, but nothing faster.

Firstly you should have to get the parts to get a vehicle functioning, then you should be enclumbered by the need for gas and parts for it, it could be trashed by Deathclaw attack, stolen if you leave it unattended. Horses would need food & water. If not in the base game then mods could be written.

Co-Op? As far as I've seen most Co-Op games are actually playable without other people being compulsory. Don't want to play with others, just don't invite them.

In the end though I wouldn't want any of this stuff added if it reduces the modability, but I'm dreading learning Papyrus/Skyrim engine, after 3 years I'm still learning NV engine :P

Why would having vehicles spoil exploration? You'd have get off your vehicle to properly explore anyway. It's actually the fast travelling what spoils exploring. I'd say remove FT and add vehicles. Add quests to get various vehicles and add training requirements as perks to use all vehicles. Some vehicles can be powered by power cells as in FO2, and some others like vertibirds can have a nuclear-powered engine. Perhaps a solar-powered vehicle that only runs while the sun's out? I'd definitely would like to fly a verti over the wasteland. 

Vehicles wouldn't screw up exploring the game world, no more than horses screw up Oblivion or Skyrim.  I agree about Fast Travel to a point, maybe limit it to a few hubs dotted on the map.  This could solve the 'driving' situation.  Maybe vehicles could only be used to travel from one hub to another.  Could either FT or drive there in game time.  I don't think FT should be completely removed from the game, since I don't want to hear battle music and fight random spawns every 5 minutes when I want to go somewhere.

As far as game performance goes, the vehicles could be real clunkers.  Not matter what you do they could never go fast than a running horse (cars and parts are over 200 yrs old).  Training, parts, etc are all good ideas to.  Vehicles need maintenence, unlike BethSoft horse that never eat, drink, sleep, shit, throw horseshoes, pull up lame just by riding them.

If a modder can make working vehicles with the FO3/NV engine and a script extender there is NO REASON why devs can't do it....though modders always do things better anyway...so maybe the devs shouldn't after all and just leave it to us professionals.  :D

Vehicles: Maybe, just maybe...

1.) If vehicles could be limited to only move across suitable terrain. No driving right up to each and every doorstep, across water, etc.

2.) They remain cap-cost prohibitive for a good number of advancement levels. Exception might be bicycles, tricycles, that sort of thing.

3.) They start out and stay in crappy condition. Remaining high maintenance, with a fair amount of breakdowns, unless a grease monkey companion provides an auto service perk

4.) You are given a choice between fast travel OR the real-time travel vehicle. No teleporting vehicles to haul 7 tons of your crap everywhere you go.

5.) Engine noise actually attracts attention. Good and bad.

Just my opinions. But, what the hell do I know.

I still want a ride-able robot Buttercup horse in New Vegas.

The Skunkwater mechanical horse is sweet; adding some to caravans, too. There is also another mod derived from that, making a Buttercup pack horse companion. I so much want an adult-sized ride-able Giddyup Buttercup. (he cries again.)

Should be able to just stretch buttercup in nifskope or blender to fullsize, then it's just a matter of setting up the riding bit.

I'm also fairly sure the Fallout Bible states horses are supposed to be extinct in the Fallout universe after the war.

I've also always found it odd that vehicles are never addressed in the games. In FO2, having a vehicle is seen as a commodity, but judging that mechanic shops exist to fix them (New Reno and the garage in NCR) they must not be exceedingly rare. Tactics also went to show old vehicles could be repurposed, and again, while relatively rare, certain organisations with a modicum of mechanical and scientific expertise would have access to them.

It makes no sense to me why in FO3 and FNV, vehicles aren't around. You can repair Giant Robots and Power Armour but not a car? I really hope future games address this discrepancy. I also disagree it kills exploration.

I'm also fairly sure the Fallout Bible states horses are supposed to be extinct in the Fallout universe after the war.

[snip]

It makes no sense to me why in FO3 and FNV, vehicles aren't around. You can repair Giant Robots and Power Armour but not a car? I really hope future games address this discrepancy. I also disagree it kills exploration.

Under the dual topics of horses and robots, Giddyup Buttercup.

[snip]

If you're seriously suggesting having a children's robotic pony as a vehicle than I think I'd rather continue to go on foot  :P

[snip]

If you're seriously suggesting having a children's robotic pony as a vehicle than I think I'd rather continue to go on foot  :P

I would propose that the version of Giddyup Bittercup that the player would be...ahem...saddled with, would be a nice cobbled up custom piece that they might happen upon while exploring. Some whacko engineering hobbyist would have taken the parts of one or more GB horses, and altered the proportions of the neck, torso and limbs with a variety of extending pistons. Still retaining the smaller scale limb sections, etc. The overall effect being a larger scale horsey.

Said whacko (or alien?) would, of course, already be dead. 

Might it help if the horse was an EVIL robot horse?

Archived