Grey Cloud Posted February 25, 2022 Posted February 25, 2022 8 minutes ago, 27X said: For someone that can't even understand the basics of how how asset virtualization works that is fucking blood diamond rich ? 1. Explain to us poor mortals what the fuck "asset virtualization" is because DDG does not appear to know. 2. Given that this is the first I have heard of the term, on what did you base your statement and how is any of this relevant to my statement about Steam and user ignorance?  The world holds its breath.   18 minutes ago, 27X said: Steam is a privately held company, with two people with the rights. Steam is part of Valve is it not? And the two people who founded the company were former Microsoft employees were they not? Impeccable pedigree then.  18 minutes ago, 27X said: One of those people has publicly stated the company will never go public as long as the current management team is in place. Well that's alright then isn't it? Nobody ever changes their mind or lies do they? In the blue corner we have billions of dollars and in the red corner we have our loyalty and dedication to our customers. ?
Uthan The Perverse Posted February 25, 2022 Author Posted February 25, 2022 9 hours ago, Windu191 said: Are there any games on the Bethesda Launcher that aren't on Steam already? I think all the games are also on Steam, but some things like the Fallout 4 creation kit were exclusively on the Beth launcher.
KoolHndLuke Posted February 25, 2022 Posted February 25, 2022 Adult/porn games on Steam with support. More and more indies making adult oriented and mod friendly games. Nothing so far on the scale of a triple A game like Skyrim, but the desire and skill to do so is out there and growing. You want more adult sexy ass/tits and fucking in your open-world adventure games? Find an indie dev today and support them. The indie you support today could very well be the major studio making AAA games years from now. Â Â
Michele Magus Posted February 25, 2022 Posted February 25, 2022 The Steam version of Fallout 76 already requires nothing more than to be logged into Steam, so that is a plus fpr when my Fallout 1st for Fallout 76 transfers over.
pinky6225 Posted February 25, 2022 Posted February 25, 2022 18 hours ago, nIn nIn nIn said: I remember gaming before Steam. Games were released "as is", if you were lucky they would do ONE patch, but you had to contact the publisher and wait for them to MAIL out a disk (floppy or cd). Then there was the DRM - oh god, please no. Some copy protection software actually bricked hardware when installed. I experienced that first hand - starforce (forever nicknamed starfuck) broke dvd writers. If you wanted to write a cd or dvd you had to uninstall the game (GT Legends) and use a tool to remove starforce, and when that tool failed, as it inevitable did, your only option was to reformat your C drive and reinstall windows from scratch. Fact. Â Steam is a wonderful service. No more fucking invasive hardware level DRM. Â Steam is a game changer, it revolutionised game distribution and support. Their 30% fee is fair, as it covers global distribution and market reach. Valve operates a large number of extremely powerful server farms all around the globe, with the bandwidth to ensure everyone gets their maximum download speeds their individual internet connection can give them. Think about what that must cost. Â My ISP gives me 100 mbps download capability. Steam feeds me 11 to 12 MB per second. Â Â Â I remember that fun, use to play mechwarrior 2 on mplayer a lot (on the amazing 56k dial up modem) and each time you launched into a game it would spin up the cd-rom to check you had the disk present as part of its DRM Â Wore out like 3 CD's of the game just from that
TheWilloughbian Posted February 26, 2022 Posted February 26, 2022 8 hours ago, muh2021 said:  so when it moves to steam ..we need to play eso in steam too?   The FAQ on the site says ESO will be unaffected. Still radio silence on the fate of the CK though.
Zor2k13 Posted February 26, 2022 Posted February 26, 2022 I don't like steam never have it ruined the whole game in a box experience. The service is very convenient for customers and pirates games get out much faster and physical media expenses are completely gone as is box art design costs. Packaging design costs are just for the user manual or extras of each game if any. Steam censors a lot of games and many adult games. Oh and also fuck gabe and his bullshit. Steam is a woke censor and the tidy up reviews when games go woke and customers don't like it. Steam does shit in the background how else do they gather those stats anyway? I think that steam deck is still around might be interesting to see where that goes. Â I don't think we will get a truly neutral delivery service for games in the near future.
yukitokuroya Posted February 26, 2022 Posted February 26, 2022 I try to get my games in GOG whenever possible. If not, I majorly skip or go to PS Store. Also, as a launcher, I use Playnite, as it scrapes info from not just Steam/game's store, but also IGDB and Wikipedia. Cover art, background art, custom game starts, etc. The only thing absent in it is gameplay videos(which lots of emulation frontends have). It even scrapes emulated android games(like Bluestacks games). Â 28 minutes ago, Zor2k13 said: I don't like steam never have it ruined the whole game in a box experience. The service is very convenient for customers and pirates games get out much faster and physical media expenses are completely gone as is box art design costs. Packaging design costs are just for the user manual or extras of each game if any. Steam censors a lot of games and many adult games. Oh and also fuck gabe and his bullshit. Steam is a woke censor and the tidy up reviews when games go woke and customers don't like it. Steam does shit in the background how else do they gather those stats anyway? I think that steam deck is still around might be interesting to see where that goes. Â I don't think we will get a truly neutral delivery service for games in the near future. Another thing that I hate about Steam is censorship.
Zor2k13 Posted February 26, 2022 Posted February 26, 2022 ALL of the services censor stuff and some of them like EGS should never be trusted. The other side of this is the scammers spamming steam with crap games or fake games and so on.
bon51 Posted February 27, 2022 Posted February 27, 2022 On 2/24/2022 at 11:40 AM, Monoman1 said: About time. Love to know how many people actually used it. Think I was forced to have a game or two on it. You just forget they exist. Another case of publishers greed backfiring. To be fair, steam having a de facto monopoly is wrong as well.  Why don't all these competing publishers ditch their sporadic launchers, come together and finance a common platform to compete with steam. One that's actually good. You know, one with actual features...  My guess is they'll all be going on the MS store eventually.... At least MS seem somewhat more consumer friendly. Lately. You forgot the biggest graber of all EA Bioware" was devested by them after (Never Wiinter Night`s) by simply pushing their Game`sÂ
NickNozownik Posted March 1, 2022 Posted March 1, 2022 Good, one less garbage launcher to worry about. I don't like Steam and I don't want to use it just to play video games, the last thing that I want is yet another bullshit Epic EA Windows Steam Shop Launcher Club nonsense.
oblivioner Posted March 1, 2022 Posted March 1, 2022 On 2/24/2022 at 4:44 AM, Monoman1 said: Monopolies are hardly ever a good thing. Competition is good.  As consumers, we've only ever really known steam. There's nothing close really. Perhaps things could been even better now if there had been more competition early on? We don't know.  Remember back when digital sales were being touted. "Cheaper products" they said. "No physical distribution costs" they said. Never came to anything for the consumer. I wonder where the savings went? Someone got it.  And being asked to fork over 30% on steam would be a bitter pill for anyone to swallow. What does valve actually do for their 30%? It seems it's all just algorithms. I seem to remember reading somewhere that valve has the highest revenue to employee ratio in the world...  Actually GOG is pretty good. Allows you to bundle Uplay, origin, steam & epic in one launcher. Must try to use it more. Selection on it's store however is kind of lacking. 1) Steam out-competed physical stores, that's how it achieved dominance in the first place. At the time it was pretty controversial as well. I'm not a fan of its monopoly either, but it *did* at least obtain the monopoly by being outright better(as opposed to say, the iOS store, which was merely *first*.)  2) As everyone is finding out in their own failed launcher/stores, that 30% goes to: hosting discussion boards, having voice chat, friend lists and groups maintaining update servers so users can undo updates. providing a safe and secure storefront(unlike EGS and its historically leaky credit cards)
Darkening Demise Posted March 1, 2022 Posted March 1, 2022 Most pro consumer thing they've done in years. Now I won't need to use their launcher to make mods for SSE.
Popo07 Posted March 1, 2022 Posted March 1, 2022 Â I remember walking into Best Buy that fateful day Halflife 2 was released, when I was but a wee console only lad, looking to buy some games for my playstation. Never would I have imagined the orwellian future ahead for gaming.
27X Posted March 1, 2022 Posted March 1, 2022 1 hour ago, Popo07 said: Â I remember walking into Best Buy that fateful day Halflife 2 was released, when I was but a wee console only lad, looking to buy some games for my playstation. Never would I have imagined the orwellian future ahead for gaming. Â The Orwellian future was already here. The moment activision agreed to be bought by a public company was the end of developer/player centric gaming.
TheWilloughbian Posted March 2, 2022 Posted March 2, 2022 It's sort of reminds me of ancient times when a conquering army invaded a city the first thing to burn was the libraries.Â
Popo07 Posted March 2, 2022 Posted March 2, 2022 17 minutes ago, TheWilloughbian said: It's sort of reminds me of ancient times when a conquering army invaded a city the first thing to burn was the libraries.  "Those that do not know history are doomed to repeat it."  "History is written by the victor."   Two quotes that come to mind. Â
TheWilloughbian Posted March 2, 2022 Posted March 2, 2022 Yeah. I was checking out the Bethesda discords and they're pretty useless as a source of information. I made mention that I was disappointed to see the Bethesda message boards were no longer and the loss of the knowledge base there was lamentable. The post was deleted in less than 15 seconds. Any questions answered there are done so with a link to a corporate statement on the Bethesda website. It seems Microsoft is keeping a tight rein on any dialogue that could cause dissention.
TheWilloughbian Posted March 2, 2022 Posted March 2, 2022 I guess I just see value in the record of it being shit being preserved.
Whollupwhozit Posted March 16, 2022 Posted March 16, 2022 ...Huh, I don't even remember the launcher exist until I heard this news; speaks over how irrelevant it is. Now if only 2K's horrible launcher can share the same fate....
Varithina Posted March 16, 2022 Posted March 16, 2022 The only potential problems coming are for those with multiple bethnet accounts, bethnet allows multi boxing, steam does not, in that I can have one install on bethnet and run the game multiple times on the same pc, that is not available on steam, which will make anybody with mule accounts annoyed as hell if they do not sort something out.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.