For a returning player, what's best now? Oldrim, SE or Anniversary?

As of 2021, what's the best version of the game for a returning player?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. As of 2021, what's the best version of the game for a returning player?

• Original Skyrim
    • Special Edition
    • Anniversary Edition

Hi, so I recently saw the Anniversary edition release and watched a few videos, and like any old addict I got sucked back into the idea of reinstalling Skyrim. But, honestly I can't quite decide what to go with. In the past I only ever played Oldrim, because it had the best array of stable mods, and back then SE was still new and seemed quite unreliable. I'm surprised now how old SE is (6 years!), time flies, but I figure given that being the case that perhaps Special Edition is the way to go now? Or would you all think Anniversary is worth giving a go? I do like to mod my game out quite a bit so ideally I want something with a good selection of stuff that is also stable. I always had stability issues with old Skyrim so I'm hesitant to go back to it. 

Please share your opinions. 

The best answer is the one that you can use best. LE requires doing a lot of "preparation" for modding. Currently the best source for that is this guide:

With this, the traditional slam about LE being "glitchy" or causing frequent CTD just doesn't hold water.

SE is currently the one best avoided. It is being transitioned into AE (whether you like it or not). That means for the next few days/weeks all the mods are being adapted to the changes that Bethesda has brought us.

Finally, AE is nothing but the newest version of SE. Once again, a large number of mods are currently not working with it but there is every reason to believe that will change soon.

Yea same question different day LE vs Se vs Ae at the end of the day it is still the same game Beth just rehashes every couple of years. LE works great I am not worried about updates I have access to more mods than I will ever use..ever. I run LE at 59FPS... 95% of the time rare if ever it drop to 50 Ultra settings across the board and modded to Oblivion . When everyone complained about SE and its release/issues my game still worked great... Enter the AE debacle my LE game still works great no issues so while everyone debates/fixes this new issue I will play LE... enough said.

12 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

no it's not, Arthmoor has done this many times before (and other retarded things).

Hey be nice, it's a team not just Arthmoor... But yeah, I know he can act questionably. Maybe I'll message him about it, because that really is kinda messed up. I can understand updating stuff, but no legacy availability... why?

Currently I would say SE, as the New Creation Club stuff runs in it, and AE will need time for the DLLs of various mods to be reworked to work  with it.

I made a full backup of SE before playing with AE, which is how I know the CC material works with SE.

I like LE, but I do not like the memory leaks, or the 4 GB ram limit on it.

Edited by Michele Magus

I would choose LE or SE for now.  I think AE is still in its "bethesda may update the thing every 2 weeks and break your mods" phase. Also I heard that some mods like AdditemMenu haven't been updated for AE yet. 

AE is looking better all the time, so we just gotta let it age a bit. Like cheese.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:41 AM, MadMansGun said:

then you haven't tried to download ussep recently, it's AE only now.

On 12/6/2021 at 6:35 AM, ReverendFelix said:

Maybe I'll message him about it, because that really is kinda messed up.

Well I'm probably gonna get banned from AFK mods site, but I put in my 2 cents regarding the USSEP.

Check it out here if your curious.

Edited by ReverendFelix
On 12/8/2021 at 6:23 AM, ReverendFelix said:

Well I'm probably gonna get banned from AFK mods site, but I put in my 2 cents regarding the USSEP.

Check it out here if your curious.

I had a look at that, and at the nexus link for USSEP, and man... what is with the scorching arrogance and contempt the mod authors/moderators of USSEP seem to treat everyone with? They act like everyone who asks them a question is pure trash or something. It would cost them absolutely nothing to leave an old version of USSEP up on Nexus too, and they seem to refuse to even answer as to why they won't. Really seem like nasty people. 

That asides, I'm actually using the latest USSEP version (4.2.6 alpha) which is supposed to be for AE/1.6.3 or whatever it is, on my SE game that is on version 1.5.97, and so far from my testing there aren't any problems? Granted, I have only made some characters and walked around, visited some cities etc. to test performance on the new modlist I'm putting together, but yeah they aren't noticeably conflicting so far. But is it fair to say they will probably conflict? And if so, does anyone know where USSEP can be found for 1.5.97? 

[Edit] Found USSEP for 1.5.97 in https://www.loverslab.com/topic/118460-skyrim-se-for-beginners-v-326-3bbb-hdt-smp-hph/

Edited by penguintennis