Good movies that flew under the radar

This one was a sleeper for sure. Not a 'family' movie by any stretch of the imagination. A little twisted and pretty erotic, makes you think about just how weird our lives can be. Directing and cast is good imo.

Crash (1996) - IMDb

Another one worth a look maybe is "Under the Skin" with Scarlett Jo.

Edited by KoolHndLuke
On 8/31/2021 at 5:03 AM, Hiderius said:

not sure if it flew under the radar but I do enjoy Bruce Willis scifi movie Fifth Element. Lost count how many times I have watched it.

Channing Tatum's movie's I like so far and don't know if they flew under the radar

Dear John

The Eagle

White House Down

21 Jump Street

G.I Joe the Rise of Cobra

Jim Carrey - Yes Man

Jim Carrey - Sonic the Hedgehog

Movie by Catherine Zeta Jones and Justin Bartha called "the Rebound" that never made it to the States except in dvd form

Those are a lot of heavily promoted big budget movies. The radar that you are using might need to be recalibrated if not replaced if it did not pick up those movies. 

7 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

This one was a sleeper for sure. Not a 'family' movie by any stretch of the imagination. A little twisted and pretty erotic, makes you think about just how weird our lives can be. Directing and cast is good imo.

Crash (1996) - IMDb

Another one worth a look maybe is "Under the Skin" with Scarlett Jo.

No wonder why it continues to fly under the radar. It is so overshadowed by Oscar Bait that it is radar invisible. 

On 9/2/2021 at 2:54 PM, Kendo 2 said:

True Romance 1993 (Quentin Tarantino's first screenplay.)

Shadow of the Vampire 2000 (best film representation of what a vampire would really be like, imo.)

True Romance is the Movie that flew under the radar. How did this movie bomb at the theaters? Such a good flick

Another good one is the Usual Suspects. Crime/Job movie about some bad dudes that get rounded to a job for the ultimate bad dude. 

If one likes movies, then their radar is way more advanced than one whom will watch TV with equal gusto. Sorry TV lovers, but it's the trash of the entertainment spectrum. Occasionally shows rise above the din of mediocrity, but for the most part - you can have your Kardashian's.

*I was going to delete the TV part, but shit - I really can't stand TV anymore.

> Because of this most movies that 'go under the radar' have been foreign films. Trying to expand my horizons, I have found a few I could recommend . . . . .

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/     Trollhunter (2010)

Spoiler

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473444/     Curse of the Golden Flower  (2006)

Spoiler

And while old movies may not 'qualify' as they never got into 'Radar Range' to begin with - a childhood favorite:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057812/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0    7 Faces of Dr. Lao  (1964)    "I was 6 when this came out. I didn't have Transformers, Star Wars, or such when I grew up and had to walk 20 miles uphill just to get to a TV set.".

Spoiler

wow... most of the suggestions here are pretty much classics in my opinion.  Here are some of my picks:

Blue Ruin

the Skeleton Twins

Sunshine Cleaning

Bone Tomahawk

You Were Never Really Here

Doctor Sleep

Prospect

Turbo Kid

The Kid Detective

The Drop

The Hunt

Wind River

Upgrade

15 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

my favorites

I can't say I saw this, but for some reason I see parts of this used in Mortal Kombat and Rogue One. We know Hollywood isn't 'original', as even something new will have parts made from the 'old'.

Master of the Flying Guillotine

After his students are killed by the One Armed Boxer, a vengeful and blind Kung Fu expert travels to a village where a martial arts contest is being held and vows to behead every one armed man he comes across.

3 hours ago, landess said:

I can't say I saw this, but for some reason I see parts of this used in Mortal Kombat and Rogue One. We know Hollywood isn't 'original', as even something new will have parts made from the 'old'.

Master of the Flying Guillotine

After his students are killed by the One Armed Boxer, a vengeful and blind Kung Fu expert travels to a village where a martial arts contest is being held and vows to behead every one armed man he comes across.

Master of the Flying Guillotine practically gave rise to side-scrolling one-on-one fighting games in that genre's entirety. What was not inspired by it, Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure provided source material to draw from.

Since Mad Max and Journey to the West is what those franchises themselves were patterned after, they too can be credited with giving birth to the Fighting Game genre. 

Midnight Run  (DeNiro film)

Hitman (the extended cut)

Galaxy quest (though I guess now it is well known, but you have to watch the cut scenes, those are some of the funniest parts)

Rock N Rule was mentioned earlier and it was here at LL that I first heard of it so yes, that defiantly flew under the radar)

Girl Next Door

The Replacements

Ok, I know that most of my movies are not "unknowns" or obscure, but they are much much better than their fame or box office indicated.   I did keep movies that were big when they came out but are now obscure, just waiting to be discovered (again), but....that might deviate too far form the OP.

With having almost 23TB of movies in my collection and on my drives, a small portion of my personal list of underrated movies, not mentioning what others have already listed would include...

Absolutely Anything - 2015
Blue is the Warmest Color - 2013
Boss Level - 2020
Bright - 2016
Brightburn - 2019
Bubba Ho-Tep - 2003
Code 8 - 2016
Cold Skin - 2017
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel - 2009
Hot Fuzz - 2007
In Time - 2011
Kung Fu Hustle - 2004
Limitless - 2011
Moon - 2009
O Brother, Where Art Thou - 2000
RocknRolla - 2008
Safety Not Guaranteed - 2012
Spectral - 2016
The Girl With All the Gifts - 2016
The Invention of Lying - 2009
The Revenant - 2009 - Starring David Anders
The Shape of Water - 2017
Vexille - 2007 - Animated
What Happened to Monday - 2017

Plus probably hundreds made pre 2000.

Edited by nikoli grimm
spell check

Here's a fun one. Called "Payback" starring Mel Gibson. Crime/Action/Comedy.  Movie has a great cast, solid writing and directing. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120784/

Another one my absolute favorites is "Planet Terror"  It was part of a throwback double feature which also included Q's "Death Proof"  Planet Terror was way better. Horror comedy with you guessed it, great cast,writing,directing. Such a good movie. 

• 2 weeks later...

Siren 2016

Another one that in my personal opinion is under rated along with the other movies I listed. This movie was created from a short film on youtube featuring the girl here and some of the guys. The girl you see here along with some of the male main also stared in a short film. The powers that be decided to turn the short film into an actual movie.

Edited by Hiderius
On 8/17/2021 at 2:44 PM, Gukahn said:

Flew under the radar.. Dunno i think this one flew under:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wer_(film)

Can't remember anyone who still talks about it and it was one of the few good horror movies with some kind of a werewolf. I am a sucker for those since american werewolf in london

You might appreciate Dog Soldiers.  Squaddies vs. Werewolves in the wilds of Scotland.