My video card just died.

Awful timing. My video card just died.

I was in the middle of editing a LevDef file when suddenly my screen went wonky and everything froze. When I rebooted, I was in VGA mode (640x480) with white streaks all over the screen. :(

I searched online for a new card and the prices are ridiculous due to the "chip shortage."

I could be out of commission for a while.

4 hours ago, OysterMug said:

I was in the middle of editing a LevDef file when suddenly my screen went wonky and everything froze. When I rebooted, I was in VGA mode (640x480) with white streaks all over the screen. :(

I searched online for a new card and the prices are ridiculous due to the "chip shortage."

I could be out of commission for a while.

try putting it in the oven.

RIP. I feel ya, mine didn't break but I was looking forward to upgrading to something better. That idea quickly flew out the window, at least for now. And from the look of things, this is going to last quite some time. There's a bit more to it than just chip shortage, people are going crazy with crypto mining, buying shit because covid and chilling at home, then there's silicon issue. So you either wait a year (or years, who knows), or bite the bullet and buy GPU for +100% the price. Unless you go for a used one, but those are iffy.

I figure it's going to be two years until we get kinda reasonable prices again.

Even taking into account that in todays economy prices are not made by worth but by what they can get away with.

Personally I am looking forward to the crypto-bubble bursting. It was a stupid idea from the start. Fictional currency....

3 hours ago, Umbra Nensei said:

Unless you go for a used one, but those are iffy.

I haven't bought a new card in years but you I agree that you are taking a risk in doing so. If someone is selling more than 2 of that card then it would be fare to assume they were used for mining.

Also, used card prices are ridiculous now, as well. The 1080ti I payed a little over £400 around this time last year is now over £600

If you really want to take a risk for not much money, there is someone in the US selling 1080ti's for under $100 Nothing to suggest they are not working cards but have clearly been used in a mining rig since it shows 19 being sold in the last 24h and more than 10 still available.

Sadly, anything newer than the 10 series, even used, is asking for silly money, as the OP has noticed. Best I saw on the ebay scalpers was about a 30% mark up on 3080's and the worst was, I am guessing, a 100% mark up on 3060's.

12 hours ago, rb888 said:

Can you get CPU/GPU CPU Chip and board that supports? Hold you over? Or see if under warranty still?

Thx for the reply. I have a Ryzen 3100 with no on-board/on-cpu video.

I bought/installed the MoBo last October, so it is still under warranty. But I'm trying to avoid having to disconnect everything and RMA it back to Asus (which would be a monstrous PIA and take weeks.)

8 hours ago, Umbra Nensei said:

RIP. I feel ya, mine didn't break but I was looking forward to upgrading to something better. That idea quickly flew out the window, at least for now. And from the look of things, this is going to last quite some time. There's a bit more to it than just chip shortage, people are going crazy with crypto mining, buying shit because covid and chilling at home, then there's silicon issue. So you either wait a year (or years, who knows), or bite the bullet and buy GPU for +100% the price. Unless you go for a used one, but those are iffy.

I checked eBay for a replacement video card. Cards older/slower than my GTX670 are selling for $100. RTX3070's selling for $2,500/$3,500.

One idiot bid $260 for AN EMPTY 2070 BOX (listing clearly says "BOX ONLY! NO GPU", but I suspect the people who bid on it only saw "2070".

15 minutes ago, OysterMug said:

One idiot bid $260 for AN EMPTY 2070 BOX (listing clearly says "BOX ONLY! NO GPU", but I suspect the people who bid on it only saw "2070".

As the saying goes - in times of crisis, capitalize on lukewarm iq.
It better be a damn pretty box though.

yeah the chip shortage / price increase really sucks for anyone needing a new card, looking now on the few places i could actually see a price a RTX 3090 costs more than the entire PC i brought with it last November

careful... I had a similar situation years ago and the issue was the motherboard instead the GPU, the connection of the motherboard to GPU was getting faulty! get a technician to take a look to ensure which piece is the problem.

2 hours ago, pinky6225 said:

yeah the chip shortage / price increase really sucks for anyone needing a new card, looking now on the few places i could actually see a price a RTX 3090 costs more than the entire PC i brought with it last November

Nevermind the RTX line of graphics cards. Even if you're looking at an older model, such as the GTX 1660, they're just as expensive as what the RTXs are now, if not more. It's utterly ridiculous. I have two computers that need graphics cards replacements because they died out around the same time strangely enough. And of course, thanks to COVID, there's the chip shortage as well as the price gouging for whatever card's available right now.

Thankfully I still have this one computer that I'm using to game with, but if this goes out too, I'm SOL.

(Meanwhile Newegg has the audacity to promote DIY projects. It's funny how in those promotions there are no graphics cards available. I mean, how the fuck does one complete their DIY project without a graphics card? And no, built-in motherboard graphics chips don't count, not if you're planning to do any serious work with it.)

On 5/12/2021 at 11:22 AM, OysterMug said:

I was in the middle of editing a LevDef file when suddenly my screen went wonky and everything froze.

Btw what's a LevDef? A simple Google search shows me it's a kind of rifle? But you mentioned "file" and you're asking about video cards so I highly doubt it's a gun lol.

before declaring your card dead, check if changing socket on the mb does anything (remove the drivers first thou), check the bios if it detects anything faulty too, and as a last "hail Mary" try to boot with an external drive and a barebone window (I had drivers going completely wrong).

Cheers

6 hours ago, OysterMug said:

Thx for the reply. I have a Ryzen 3100 with no on-board/on-cpu video.

I bought/installed the MoBo last October, so it is still under warranty. But I'm trying to avoid having to disconnect everything and RMA it back to Asus (which would be a monstrous PIA and take weeks.)

I'm on Low income. Anyway this my DDr 4 system for year and 1/2.

https://valid.x86.fr/a8kgt4

I got both cpu and board for 200 bucks. and ram 75 bucks for 16 gigs before prices went up good thing I got the same ram for same price. lol This how high you can go with 3200g unlocked!

I have XFX RX 590 Core edition 8gb replace my old R9 390x Good thing they still honor my life time warranty before they change laws on warranty on there cards.  My Fans stop working on the R9 that how I got the Rx version for free from them!

On 5/13/2021 at 1:50 PM, sshar22 said:

before declaring your card dead, check if changing socket on the mb does anything (remove the drivers first thou), check the bios if it detects anything faulty too, and as a last "hail Mary" try to boot with an external drive and a barebone window (I had drivers going completely wrong).

Trying another socket might be an option. And fortunately, I fully uninstalled the nVidia drivers before attempting to use the generic card, but the computer won't boot. Not even POST.

21 hours ago, rb888 said:

I'm on Low income. Anyway this my DDr 4 system for year and 1/2.

https://valid.x86.fr/a8kgt4

I got both cpu and board for 200 bucks. and ram 75 bucks for 16 gigs before prices went up good thing I got the same ram for same price. lol This how high you can go with 3200g unlocked!

I got the 3100 b/c it is WAY faster than the 3200g. The "g" chips with onboard VEGA video are notably slower b/c they are single thread cpu's, putting the extra silicon towards the GPU.

That is rough man, reminds me of the time my power supply fried itself years ago because past me was an idiot who didn't think cooling was a big deal, or the time when i had a never ending blue screen of death because my HDD permanently glitched out. Always a crushing feeling when you get hit by these abrupt and rather pricey mishaps. pepehands-transparent-pic.png.07893b63f006fb73dcca4975ad07a237.png

Check and see if your fans are working on your card as I had problems with my last video card for my last computer system and it was caused by the fans. One was not turning but manually finger starting the bad fan and placing a fan right there fixed the problem for me till my power button died so now I have a new computer with a 3090 in it.