Jump to content
IGNORED

My video card just died.


Recommended Posts

On 9/23/2021 at 12:12 AM, OmegaBlaster said:

 

Just checked out their 3080 TI. It's 172 a month. Based on their lease to own pricing scheme, the buy out price (including amount paid in rent) is around $2200. It's actually cheaper if I just go the Ebay scalper route for around $1800. 

 

Looks a little bit overpriced to me.

I bought a 3080TI a couple of months ago for a little bit more then 50% of the buy out price you listed.

Link to comment
6 hours ago, CPU said:

 

Looks a little bit overpriced to me.

I bought a 3080TI a couple of months ago for a little bit more then 50% of the buy out price you listed.

 

I mean yeah, I got mine for $1100.

 

Just pointing out their buyout price seems excessive, even compared to the premium you pay if you buy it off a Ebay scalper. 

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, OmegaBlaster said:

Just pointing out their buyout price seems excessive, even compared to the premium you pay if you buy it off a Ebay scalper. 

 

I agree on that.

Link to comment

Also beware of cheap cards on outlets like eBay, ali baba, etc...  I had picked up a GTX 1070 6GB back in August because of a good price.  It turned out to be a GTX 420 chip mounted on a Manli Mini GTX 1070 board with a spoofed bios so it appeared as a GTX 1070, but wouldn't load the proper graphics drivers or play any games.  I'm still fighting to get my money back!

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

well now i can cry 🥶 !     bought a laptop last year !  and just looked at requirements for farcry6  i am just under the minimum . shit it is a laptop i can not change the graphic card !!!   ( chose the laptop over a PC because of the fan noise )   and new high end Laptops are as noisy as PC ( playing on a tractor 🎧) , and too expensive . 

 

Link to comment
20 hours ago, coolfreaky said:

( chose the laptop over a PC because of the fan noise )   and new high end Laptops are as noisy as PC ( playing on a tractor 🎧) , and too expensive . 

 

 

I can't stand trying to use a laptop as my primary PC. Tiny screen, slower processor. Chiclet keyboards. Lack of expansion.

 

"Fan noise" is easy to resolve. Use "magnetic bearing" fans, and an AIO water cooler on the CPU (maybe GPU too.) And replace HDD's with SSD's. Your computer will  be so quiet you can hear it fart. ;)

 

I save a ton of money building my own PC.

Link to comment
On 9/22/2021 at 4:12 PM, OmegaBlaster said:

 

Just checked out their 3080 TI. It's 172 a month. Based on their lease to own pricing scheme, the buy out price (including amount paid in rent) is around $2200. It's actually cheaper if I just go the Ebay scalper route for around $1800. 

Sorry its been awhile but sadly yes.  You're better off trying to hard buy a 3080 TI if you can afford it.  That's just an option for people with a limited budget.  I tend to lean more toward AMD boards over Intel so AMD GPU's are my bread & butter.  I used to go exclusive to Nvidia only but that was before Radeon finally fixed their God awful driver support.

Link to comment
7 hours ago, legendarytoyou said:

Sorry its been awhile but sadly yes.  You're better off trying to hard buy a 3080 TI if you can afford it.  That's just an option for people with a limited budget.  I tend to lean more toward AMD boards over Intel so AMD GPU's are my bread & butter.  I used to go exclusive to Nvidia only but that was before Radeon finally fixed their God awful driver support.

 

Not really. Prices aren't going to drop until 4XXX is a thing, and even then only if they're in enough quantities. nVidia yesterday notified their AIBs that ALL quantities of holiday cards will be from limited and non-renewable stock.

 

They aren't going to refresh the main line, and the "super/Ti" versions of 3XXX are already taped out and in production, and they will cost more than the current cards, period.

 

And in even better news, AMD has already stated to AIBs that RDNA4 will cost 50% to 100% more than the current line if they can tape out at +80% of current flagships. The era of the $250-500 GPU is straight the fuck over permanently unless Intel plans to fill that gap or consumers actually say no to new cards, and that's obviously never going to happen.

 

Link to comment

There ´s no need to get the 3090-in no case.

I guess the prices are going down again in the next spring, the dealers make enough money. At the moment they make too much.

A 3070 or 3080 is right behind that "top-model" which also sucks in some aspects. It s btw. not bad to buy stuff which is older and not up-to-date to spare endless dollars.

 

Check that GPU maybe with a different board.

 

Link to comment
6 hours ago, 27X said:

 

Not really. Prices aren't going to drop until 4XXX is a thing, and even then only if they're in enough quantities. nVidia yesterday notified their AIBs that ALL quantities of holiday cards will be from limited and non-renewable stock.

 

They aren't going to refresh the main line, and the "super/Ti" versions of 3XXX are already taped out and in production, and they will cost more than the current cards, period.

 

And in even better news, AMD has already stated to AIBs that RDNA4 will cost 50% to 100% more than the current line if they can tape out at +80% of current flagships. The era of the $250-500 GPU is straight the fuck over permanently unless Intel plans to fill that gap or consumers actually say no to new cards, and that's obviously never going to happen.

 

Yeesh and we all know why.  It's not just the newest games its the fact you can use multiple GPU's to mine crypto that lets you bank $40-$80 on a daily basis.  Depending on what your setup is, it can either be Ethereum, Dogecoin or just plain Bitcoin.  I think you're right; gone are the days of $250 - $500 GPU's because people are mad hungry for crypto.  I recommend everyone try to at least get a GPU in the 6k Radeon bracket or 3k Nvidia bracket before they become to expensive to even try and buy.

Link to comment

Modern manufactured computer parts are sensitive-it ´s no bad idea to have some older stuff available in stock and NOT SELL it. Same for older WINdows partitions: never destroy a running system. Some stuff has guarantee for 10 years, like RAM, other parts can damage by NOT BEING used for a while-a well chosed power-supply may protect the MB and other parts from electric-peaks and so on....at the moment I feel again FOOLED with win 10, as it is oppressing apps onto my system and which is running useless in background wasting computer-power and which spends adds which I do not want. You always can go back if suddenly you want: - if you keep your older computer-stuff prepared.

Link to comment
On 10/15/2021 at 2:20 PM, legendarytoyou said:

Yeesh and we all know why.  It's not just the newest games its the fact you can use multiple GPU's to mine crypto that lets you bank $40-$80 on a daily basis.  Depending on what your setup is, it can either be Ethereum, Dogecoin or just plain Bitcoin.  I think you're right; gone are the days of $250 - $500 GPU's because people are mad hungry for crypto.  I recommend everyone try to at least get a GPU in the 6k Radeon bracket or 3k Nvidia bracket before they become to expensive to even try and buy.

Uhggg, you really don't know why.  😅  I wish people would stop blaming crypto miners for the chip shortage - It's not that simple.  If it was, then you wouldn't have to wait for your new Ford pickup because...  There's a chip shortage.  I don't think Pickups and microwaves and a thousand other products delayed right now due to a global chip shortage all use GPUs.  The shortage is due to a limited number of chip manufacturing facilities and in part an increased demand due to Covid19.  Everyone stuck at home was just buying up consumer electronics and a ton of stuff with chips.  The manufacturing plants couldn't keep up.  Whodathunkit???  IDK, maybe the current shipping problems are crypto miner related too! 😲  Yeah!  All those miners are buying cards and it's bottlenecking the international shipping industry!!!  Damn them!!!!!🥱

 

$40 a day plus mining???  "Maybe" with 16x AMD Radeon 6xxx series cards with $BTC over $55k.  (at a current investment of ~$20,000 USD not including the PCs and peripherals and, burning more electricity than 2 electric heaters on high).  That's a year and a half (give or take) just to break even.  I'm not even going to get into ASIC miners because for most you would need an electrician for the hookups, they are loud as f*<k, you can't play video games with them and, on the average they are obsolete within 2.2 years. 

 

Nvidia coded hash limiters into the BIOS of their 3xxx series cards so they can only mine about $1/day more than a 2xxx or AMD 6xxx series card making them unappealing to most miners.  If you were a crypto miner would you want to spend ~1k on a card to make $3/day or $1.5k-$2.8k to make $4/day?    (Hint, you're profitable sooner with the older card). 

 

IBM has announced it's new nano-wafer one gate chip will be released in 2024 which is said to be 30x faster than anything currently on the market and, will be at least partially produced in new facilities being built in the USA to help meet demand.   So I would re-think the "get a 3xxx before they are too expensive to buy".  They are already to expensive to buy for most people and we are all going to end up replacing our major electronics in about 3-5 years anyway once the new generation chips hit the market.

Link to comment

That awsome wall of text you posted would be totally reasonable and expected except for the part where nVidia locked the potential material tape out manifest for 3XXX three years ago, including prices.

 

You haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about. nVidia has been trying to make 5K the HEDT ceiling and 3K the premium ceiling since 2018. The end.

Edited by 27X
Link to comment
On 10/18/2021 at 1:38 AM, CorruptGenie said:

Just play on a laptop.

Your video card can't break if you don't have a video card.

 

th?id=OIP.SyVpIfGlu5UUuN3hMKVoywHaHa%26p

Lol only problem with that is the ONLY way to play ANYTHING between 2001 and 2021 you need a high end GPU.  Good luck getting something like Fallout 4 or FF14 on a potato computer made during the 80's.🤣🤣

Unless you're sporting a custom built or an Alienware and even then that's still high maintenance.  I usually recommend people shutdown their PC every three or so months and clean it out because you could be living in a vacuum sealed house and dust will still fuck your system up.

Also consoles are not immune from that either.  Leave your PS4/Xbox uncleaned for a year you'll be shocked at the rats nest that ends up mutating inside it. 🤣

Edited by legendarytoyou
Link to comment
On 10/17/2021 at 7:34 PM, rafael666 said:

Uhggg, you really don't know why.  😅  I wish people would stop blaming crypto miners for the chip shortage - It's not that simple.  If it was, then you wouldn't have to wait for your new Ford pickup because...  There's a chip shortage.  I don't think Pickups and microwaves and a thousand other products delayed right now due to a global chip shortage all use GPUs.  The shortage is due to a limited number of chip manufacturing facilities and in part an increased demand due to Covid19.  Everyone stuck at home was just buying up consumer electronics and a ton of stuff with chips.  The manufacturing plants couldn't keep up.  Whodathunkit???  IDK, maybe the current shipping problems are crypto miner related too! 😲  Yeah!  All those miners are buying cards and it's bottlenecking the international shipping industry!!!  Damn them!!!!!🥱

 

$40 a day plus mining???  "Maybe" with 16x AMD Radeon 6xxx series cards with $BTC over $55k.  (at a current investment of ~$20,000 USD not including the PCs and peripherals and, burning more electricity than 2 electric heaters on high).  That's a year and a half (give or take) just to break even.  I'm not even going to get into ASIC miners because for most you would need an electrician for the hookups, they are loud as f*<k, you can't play video games with them and, on the average they are obsolete within 2.2 years. 

 

Nvidia coded hash limiters into the BIOS of their 3xxx series cards so they can only mine about $1/day more than a 2xxx or AMD 6xxx series card making them unappealing to most miners.  If you were a crypto miner would you want to spend ~1k on a card to make $3/day or $1.5k-$2.8k to make $4/day?    (Hint, you're profitable sooner with the older card). 

 

IBM has announced it's new nano-wafer one gate chip will be released in 2024 which is said to be 30x faster than anything currently on the market and, will be at least partially produced in new facilities being built in the USA to help meet demand.   So I would re-think the "get a 3xxx before they are too expensive to buy".  They are already to expensive to buy for most people and we are all going to end up replacing our major electronics in about 3-5 years anyway once the new generation chips hit the market.

*wall of text critically hits you for 28905978727, you die*

Oi I'm not even going to bother trying to read all that but 27X is right.  Nvidia has been getting held back by the 3k series since 2018 and are desperate to give the AMD 6k a run for its money.  Yes the 3090 is doing well but its still an evil bottle neck.

Link to comment
On 10/17/2021 at 6:34 PM, rafael666 said:

I wish people would stop blaming crypto miners for the chip shortage - It's not that simple.

 

My 10 cents: I agree that it's not crypto. But, I don't agree that it's a general chip shortage either.

 

I think that NVidia priced this round of cards way below the market value for the performance they provide. So, it created a frenzy over unrealistic expectations. What the non-FE and ebay cards go for is actually relatively close to in-line with the cost-per-performance of previous cards.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...