My video card just died.

SATURDAY FOLLOW-UP: I removed the video card and nothing changed. LEDs and fans, but no POST beeps. Hopefully, this means my video card is still okay. Replacing it at today's prices would be agony. The MoBo is still under warranty, but Asus has to agree to replace it and I've yet to hear back from them ("Next business day" my ass.). I didn't try testing the PSU. Maybe later.

• 2 months later...

I was pricing out parts for a new desktop, and discovered the shortage issue.

I settled on a GTX 1060 w 6GB VRam

Went there to pickup my parts and the sales guy said they'd got some more video cards in.

They had an RTX 3060 w 12GB VRam for $647 CAD (the 1060 was $345)

So I think I got real lucky.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:22 AM, OysterMug said:

Awful timing. My video card just died.

I was in the middle of editing a LevDef file when suddenly my screen went wonky and everything froze. When I rebooted, I was in VGA mode (640x480) with white streaks all over the screen. :(

I searched online for a new card and the prices are ridiculous due to the "chip shortage."

I could be out of commission for a while.

Yes, that sucks.

Is that the only card you have? If not, you can take it apart and see if you can figure out what wrong. But the issue sound already something chiplike.

I had performance problem, thats when i thought mine would be dying.

But i took it apart and cleaned it. Works now again.

I can not imagine myself to buy a card at this point in time. Even 5 year old cards are very expensive these days.

Thanks for the reply, but I replaced the card last June.

I was incredibly lucky to be the winning bidder on an nVidia 970 for just $145 (taking me from a DX11 GTX670 to a DX12 GTX970.)

My tests show the new card is 33% faster than my old one (which handled TK17 just fine), so I'm happy. 1060's were going for twice that price, and 1660's for 3x the price. Totally nuts.

Edited by OysterMug
  • 2 weeks later...

Everything is okay now, but an old backup PC that I rarely use just died in the exact same manner as my main computer did last May: powered on but refused to boot or even POST. I've turned it on several times this year. Always worked fine (until last week.)

This time I knew what to do. I removed the (12 year old) video card, switched to on-board video, and the computer started right up. Amazing.

The sudden power surge when the electricity was restored after a state-wide blackout last February must have been too much for both of them.

Incredibly weird that just the video cards would be killed off on two different PCs (that weren't even on at the time.)

may I suggest you invest in a good surge protector? less expensive than a new gpu ?

and maybe also use one of the programs to check you psu if it has survived unscathed (very likely, but... if it hasn't you may risk voltage inconsistencies in your system)

Cheers

my friend lost 2 GTX 1080 ti gigabyte in the same day rendering i hope at least he got the money invested, honestly i see no profit in building a PC anymore and just playing games let aside modding unless you got like 2000+ - 3000+ dollars or euros a month which a lot of people do not earn, my advice is get a cheap video card just to have some form of a pc and if you feel like throwing 1000 dollars, euros at once buy a video card, last time my pc broke down it took the video card motherboard and hdd yes i feel lucky.

Edited by VicMackey
8 hours ago, sshar22 said:

may I suggest you invest in a good surge protector? less expensive than a new gpu ?

and maybe also use one of the programs to check you psu if it has survived unscathed (very likely, but... if it hasn't you may risk voltage inconsistencies in your system)

Main PC is on a 1200VA UPS. Backup PC only on a cheap surge protector.

Edited by OysterMug
1 hour ago, VicMackey said:

my friend lost 2 GTX 1080 ti gigabyte in the same day rendering i hope at least he got the money invested, honestly i see no profit in building a PC anymore and just playing games let aside modding unless you got like 2000+ - 3000+ dollars or euros a month which a lot of people do not earn, my advice is get a cheap video card just to have some form of a pc and if you feel like throwing 1000 dollars, euros at once buy a video card, last time my pc broke down it took the video card motherboard and hdd yes i feel lucky.

Ouch on the two lost 1080's.

Onboard video is fine for the backup PC, but only runs at 1280x768. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Try this website:

https://cuttingedgegamer.com

You can lease a new GPU that is fairly priced per month with no hidden fee's.  Its Rent-to-Own so maintain a monthly payment system it can be yours in just a few months.  What's interesting is Cutting Edge buys cheap semi-mediocre GPU's, refits them and then reseats a new heatsink to sport something cutting edge, hence the name.  Aside from maybe Newegg.com or Amazon that's your best bet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 10:11 AM, OysterMug said:

Thx for the reply. I have a Ryzen 3100 with no on-board/on-cpu video.

I have an R9 270X 2GB if you super need a GPU. You can PM me for details.

Note, this offer is only for OysterMug. Don't PM me about free GPUs unless you want a K1100M.

17 hours ago, falsetruth1988 said:

Did you ever get you graphics card worked out?

The second (old backup) PC's problems were bigger than the graphics card. Very soon (two boots later), even on-board video no longer worked. I guess 12 years was about it for the trusty bugger. ;)

Edited by OysterMug
12 hours ago, RussianPrince said:

I have an R9 270X 2GB if you super need a GPU. You can PM me for details.

Note, this offer is only for OysterMug. Don't PM me about free GPUs unless you want a K1100M.

Thanks for the offer, but it seems the entire computer was dying. I replaced it was an old mini-ITX I had lying around and moved the Data drive over to it.

The old computer might have around 12 years old (Athlon 2 processor overclocked +800MHz to 4.2GHz) but ran rock steady the entire time.

2 hours ago, OysterMug said:

Thanks for the offer, but it seems the entire computer was dying. I replaced it was an old mini-ITX I had lying around and moved the Data drive over to it.

I build computers professionally since I lost my job, so if you need parts or suggestions let me know.

@Fakenet - All currency is "Fictional" ?  Just because you can't hold it in your hand doesn't make it any less valuable (YES! You're bank card is loaded with imaginary money! ?).  And if the "crypto bubble" burst it would have serious effects on the global economy.  You would feel it, whole countries would feel it and, it would suck.

@OysterMug - That sucks like a bursting of the crypto bubble!  I feel for you.  I have a few spare GTX 550 4GB's on hand (gently used, in original boxes).  I picked them up for ~$240 ea.  but I would be willing to consider an offer if you are willing to pay the shipping.  

Message me if you are interested (give it a few days for a reply, I'm not in here every day ?).

On 9/8/2021 at 2:28 AM, legendarytoyou said:

Try this website:

https://cuttingedgegamer.com

You can lease a new GPU that is fairly priced per month with no hidden fee's.  Its Rent-to-Own so maintain a monthly payment system it can be yours in just a few months.  What's interesting is Cutting Edge buys cheap semi-mediocre GPU's, refits them and then reseats a new heatsink to sport something cutting edge, hence the name.  Aside from maybe Newegg.com or Amazon that's your best bet.

Just checked out their 3080 TI. It's 172 a month. Based on their lease to own pricing scheme, the buy out price (including amount paid in rent) is around $2200. It's actually cheaper if I just go the Ebay scalper route for around $1800. 

On 9/22/2021 at 11:21 AM, rafael666 said:

@OysterMug - That sucks like a bursting of the crypto bubble!  I feel for you.  I have a few spare GTX 550 4GB's on hand (gently used, in original boxes).  I picked them up for ~$240 ea.  but I would be willing to consider an offer if you are willing to pay the shipping. 

Thanks for the offer, but the old backup PC seems to be DOA. I've replaced it with another old backup PC... a mini-ITX I built a few years back.

The only time I use the backup PC is when my primary computer is either busy doing something else (like converting a large video) or is down due to hardware failure or a viral attack. All of which are pretty rare. I also have a Win10 tablet with keyboard, but tablets are a PiA to work on for any extended period of time.

The mini is better for extended use, but too slow for VX or anything more than light duty. So there's no need to put a dedicated video card in it.

Edited by OysterMug