Okay freaks and furballs, I'm ready to post the supermutants. Let me know what y'all think. 

(Going up now. They'll be up in an hour or two.)

I did not get the meatcaps working in the end. Not sure what the problem is--I think I have them set up like vanilla, but they don't show up on headshots. I hassled with it a bunch and then decided to move on.

I'm pretty sure an AAF scene will transform them back to regular supermutants. I think what I'll have to do is ship a separate AAF file that can load after the AAF stuff, so as to overwrite the bodies and provide a different tri. Should be straightforward, but I don't have it in place yet. My plan is to deal with ghouls and synths, then fix the sex stuff on a cleanup pass.

So... ghouls. I'm still interested in basing them on the nightstalkers. There is some good concept art upthread. I'm gonna start hacking around. 

I played around with a little backstory for how ghouls could be related to nightstalkers:

To: John Bouros

Date: 2076

My dear John, I’m very sorry you feel I’ve wasted your time. I had high hopes of your recombinant DNA research but I’m afraid there’s nothing here I can use. I mean really, snakes? Dogs? I wish you the best, but no thank you. I’ll let you know if I find anything I can do with this.

To: Eddie Winter

Date: 2076

My dear sir, your inquiries of the other day are most opportune. I’ve recently started a new line of research based on completely novel manipulation of DNA and I think it has great promise in exactly the kind of longevity applications you envision. It will require significant funding, of course, but if you can supply that I would be happy to consider you as “test subject #1”, as it were. Shall we meet this week to discuss details?

Date: 2077

My dear Eddie, I have excellent news. After significant research and many dead ends, I have succeeded in developing a very promising treatment. It comprises two parts: A potion and a course of radiation treatments. The potion is biologically active—you might consider it a virus or bacterium, though man-made. But it is totally inert until activated by carefully calibrated doses of radiation, at which point it reconstructs the host organism from the DNA level up. There may be some cosmetic side effects, of course, but that’s a minor quibble when immortality is the prize. Let us begin our trials.

Eddie: Yes, the scales and so forth are the cosmetic side effects I spoke of. They are absolutely inseparable from the proper functioning of the treatment. No, you’re not a “monster”--a term without scientific meaning anyway. My treatment has simply taken vital characteristics from creatures with millions of years of evolution in harsh environments and redirected them to our purposes. Wear their markers with pride.

And no, I won’t give you the research and agree to keep it secret. This is my discovery, my invention, and in ten years no one on this planet will fail to recognize my name. Science must never be hidden. Your threats are futile.

Eddie, you disgusting slimeball: Did you really think I was so stupid? That I did not know whom I was dealing with? You are a criminal, a mob boss, just barely fit to be a test subject in an experiment, while I hold PhDs in three disciplines.

I hear your goons on the stairs now. They’re having some trouble with my security, I’m afraid. But it’s already too late, you fool. I’m sure they’ll break through soon enough, but I’ve already dumped all the potion I had into the Quabbin Resevoir--oh, except the flasks I sent to DC and out west. There they will reproduce and spread invisible and inert--until triggered by high levels of radiation. You’ll be lost and forgotten, you pitiful little man, while I will be the savior of mankind.

Edited by Bad Dog
5 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

Okay freaks and furballs, I'm ready to post the supermutants. Let me know what y'all think.

(Going up now. They'll be up in an hour or two.)

They are, but the download quota was exceeded. Guess I get to wait for 24h to download them. Hooray. ?

5 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

I played around with a little backstory for how ghouls could be related to nightstalkers:

Mad lad went for the real good ending of the Lizard from Spider-Man... where he actually wins. ?

Gotta hand it to you, the Winter approach is actually pretty clever and the last part has the "mad scientist" stuff that Fallout lends itself to. Plus, I like how you had Dr. Salzy basically steal Dr. Borous (I'm guessing that "Bouros" thing is a typo?) research without him knowing so the latter can still create the "original" nightstalkers once he goes all Think Tank Crazy! in Big MT while Salzy does his own thing.

(Incidentally, that still allows for hypothetical anthro nightstalkers to exist as a product of Borous' research completely unrelated to other hypothetical anthro NS's that might come from Salzy's end, so that kinda appeases my thoughts on NSs deserving better than being made into Ghoul replacements even if I still don't like the idea and never will. So that's good, I guess).

7 minutes ago, IceBlazeWinters said:

was the new file added to the download section?

cause the page says it was updated/published in the last 30 minutes but the file itself is still saying june 22.

Nah, 1.1 was uploaded to the Drive folder but the folder itself has the same link and such so there were no edits to the LL download page. Just go to the Drive and download 1.1.

...assuming you are even allowed to, since last I tried the download quota was still exceeded so I had to wait. No idea when it resets.

Apparently you can create a copy of the file in your *own* google drive, which you have if you have gmail, and download it from there.

Maybe I'll look into better hosting.

EDIT: Seems to be unlocked now.

Edited by Bad Dog
1 hour ago, Blaze69 said:

Nah, 1.1 was uploaded to the Drive folder but the folder itself has the same link and such so there were no edits to the LL download page. Just go to the Drive and download 1.1.

...assuming you are even allowed to, since last I tried the download quota was still exceeded so I had to wait. No idea when it resets.

what the link to the google drive file?

19 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

I think they look better than I expected them to and also the faces animate pretty well even though they seem to be... using the vanilla TRI files somehow? :classic_huh: Unless I'm missing something there.

Not a fan of seemingly so many of them being Dalmatians (unless RNGsus just derped out on me there), but I can live with it. There also seem to be some clipping issues with torso armor, or at least Strong had them when I tried to equip vanilla SM armor pieces on him. But still playable overall. One less part of the world that needs to be furrified, so that's good.

Also, I just came across this while searching for mods to fix Strong's stupid high amount of dislikes (sadly there's none), and... well, presented without comment:
Female Strong.

Furry Fallout version when? ?

Edited by Blaze69
On 10/9/2021 at 12:44 PM, Blaze69 said:

We (or at least I) have wanted a proper Anthro Nightstalker race for a while. Preferably FO4 but honestly even Skyrim would do nicely. And the idea of creating such a race has came up a few times already and may or may not be currently under discussion by certain race modders.

Bad Dog was looking for ideas on what to do with Ghouls, since just slapping "normal" FF4 races on them would effectively be the same as turning them human in the base game. And one of the random thoughts he had was to hit two birds with one stone and create a Nightstalker-ish race to replace Ghouls with (and also be available for the PC to play as).

Personally, while I'm sure any hypothetical race BD may want to come up with would be good quality, I just don't like the idea of the race being made just to be the FF4 World's Ghouls and used for that purpose, and feel the race may suffer as a whole in that case as opposed to, say, a hypothetical standalone race release like for example Lupines or Selachii would be.

got a present for you: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28752

Nope, not vanilla tris. They're unique to the supermutants and I know because THEY'RE EXPORTED WITH THE FREAKING NIF FILE SO I NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT A MISMATCH. I might possibly be getting better at FO4's stupid expression morph system. 

The new body shape has this gigantic chest and narrower waist. I did adjust some armor, but missed a chest piece or two.

That female Strong is... well, damn. It raises an issue I might have with the new supermutants, actually, which is that they're too damn pretty. I think maybe they at least need some scars and dirt. 

Thx @IceBlazeWinters for the reference. It's a nice model and really nice texturing but that head shape would be hell on wheels to use on an anthro because of hair and headgear. Also, *ahem*, it's ugly. I'm gonna go for a more compromise shape, I think. Maybe like

image.png

- Moderate stop to the nose - huge-ass ears - almond eyes with slit pupils - visible fangs

but I think the whole face is scaly. These are good faces:

image.png image.png

7 hours ago, IceBlazeWinters said:

If you had checked Shadowliger's other work (most notably Lupines and JAVELIN), you would have noticed we already know her and her previous work, lol.

6 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

Nope, not vanilla tris. They're unique to the supermutants and I know because THEY'RE EXPORTED WITH THE FREAKING NIF FILE SO I NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT A MISMATCH.

They are? I didn't see any TRI files in the BA2 archive, so I assumed they were using vanilla Supermutant TRIs somehow. I'll double check in case I missed them somehow (which I probably did).

I might possibly be getting better at FO4's stupid expression morph system. 

Yeah, you are. The only "issue" I saw is facial animations sometimes not playing or doing so late/out of sync, but I'm pretty sure that's a vanilla bug, and the animations themselves looked fine to me.

The new body shape has this gigantic chest and narrower waist. I did adjust some armor, but missed a chest piece or two.

I'll see if I can check which pieces in particular had clipping.

That female Strong is... well, damn. It raises an issue I might have with the new supermutants, actually, which is that they're too damn pretty. I think maybe they at least need some scars and dirt.

I... yeah, they are. I mean, they're big and stronk and dumb and brute-y, but otherwise they look clean and "healthy"*, at least compared to vanilla Supermutants. If you want them to be remotely as visually disgusting as their vanilla counterparts, you're gonna have to beat them up and cover them in gunk and/or mange.

*-> ...I still wouldn't mind a female version (possibly using the assets from that mod) all the same, though. Precisely for that very reason. ?

Then again I assume the UVs not matching vanilla and such would make that more trouble than it's worth.

Shit, now I have to go make sure packing the assets didn't leave the tris behind. But I don't see how they'd be working in game if they were.

I think if I were going to do a female version I'd start with the males. They're chesty already, so pull those pecs out into super gazombas, fatten up the ass and thighs likewise, keep the abs. Aim for a female weightlifter type body. LOL. Now I might have to do it.

I'm getting snarled up with the synths first tho. I have the AMELIA assets all in place for the gen 1 bodies, but somehow the vanilla gen 1 body is showing up also, at the same time, but not on all the synths. Cannot at all figure out where that's coming from.

10 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

Shit, now I have to go make sure packing the assets didn't leave the tris behind. But I don't see how they'd be working in game if they were.

Nah, they're there, I'm just a smoothbrain that was checking the BA2 with NifSkope to be able to open the nifs without extracting them and I didn't realize NifSkope only lists files it can actually load (aka nifs, not tris). Checking it in Archive2 did the trick.

I think if I were going to do a female version I'd start with the males. They're chesty already, so pull those pecs out into super gazombas, fatten up the ass and thighs likewise, keep the abs. Aim for a female weightlifter type body. LOL. Now I might have to do it.

If you actually get it done... Sorry not sorry. ?Don't make them so okay-looking next time around and I won't ask (whether jokingly or not) for a female version, lmao.

I'm getting snarled up with the synths first tho. I have the AMELIA assets all in place for the gen 1 bodies, but somehow the vanilla gen 1 body is showing up also, at the same time, but not on all the synths. Cannot at all figure out where that's coming from.

How do Gen1s even get their robotic parts? The ones that break off with enough damage? Are those part of an outfit or template somewhere? I guess that may be worth looking into, if there's some kind of naked skin or item/outfit record slapping those extra pieces on some NPCs.

9 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

If you had checked Shadowliger's other work (most notably Lupines and JAVELIN), you would have noticed we already know her and her previous work, lol.

so i'm having a problem with nightstalker dogmeat not working. figured i'd ask here, since it also involves aaf.

domeat mods:

dogmeat bark replacer f_ck

dogmeat field scribe hate

dogmeat helmets and hats -bandana fix

dogmeat helmets and hats v1.1 - all dlc required

dogmeat helmets and hats v1.1 - all dlc required - sorting tags

fpedogaddon

k-9 armor suit for the dog - k-9 harness upgraded

nightstalker dogmeat 2.0

you're a good boy dogmeat 2.0 (xdi for dogmeat, yet i can never get xdi to fucking work right)

nightstalker file conflicts, sorted by vortex:

nightstalker dogmeat 2.0 after (suggested) fo4_animationsbyleito_v2.0a

nightstalker dogmeat 2.0 before (suggested) ulfberth's_aaf_patch_v2.5.30

for some reason, dogmeat is a normal german shephard instead of nightstalker

think you can help me figure it out blaze?

I assumed the robot parts were a normal dismember system, but there's a whole "Attach Parent Slots" that uses some special kind of keyword that might be related. They are all body parts. But they're just keywords so I don't see how they'd pull in a whole new mesh. Still hunting...

28 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

I assumed the robot parts were a normal dismember system, but there's a whole "Attach Parent Slots" that uses some special kind of keyword that might be related.

Okay, that's gotta be it. Just checked and seems like many Gen1s have those attachpoints as well as object templates.

28 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

But they're just keywords so I don't see how they'd pull in a whole new mesh.

It's the same system used by weapon attachments (e.g. the stuff that makes it so equipping a "Suppressor" weapon modification visually shows a suppressor mesh on the gun on top of the "code-wise" stuff like making the gun silent and reducing range). It actually also works on rigged meshes like clothes or armor and can be used to add extra meshes without having to dabble with ArmorAddons, it's just not widely used for wearable (human) gear due to how clunky and limited it is. But I guess synths don't have that issue.

Anyhow, this is what you're looking for:

Spoiler

SynthObjectTemplate.jpg

The "Object Template" section of the NPC data includes the different templates and the OMODs they include (or sometimes modcols aka leveled lists of OMODs). If you check those OMOD records, they all point to a nif which is what you see being attached to the synths ingame.

I guess you could just nuke the Object Template section from the NPC records altogether and maybe give them leveled humanoid/playable Synth armor pieces as part of their Outfits instead.

Or maybe edit those OMOD nifs so the pieces they add are compatible with the new bodies, but editing attachpoint nifs is fucky (there's some "Parent" and "Child" nodes in the nif which should remain there or else stuff stops working) and there's also the risk of messing up other stuff if those meshes are also used for robots or whatever.

41 minutes ago, IceBlazeWinters said:

think you can help me figure it out blaze?

This is completely unrelated to FF4 and you should ask in the AAF section but my first guess is that AAF equips a non-Barbie-doll body skin on Dogmeat ("flaccid/sheathed" during normal gameplay, "erect" during sex) and those skins obviously still look like a normal GShep because the Nightstalker replacer doesn't touch them.

2 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

Okay, that's gotta be it. Just checked and seems like many Gen1s have those attachpoints as well as object templates

JFC. This is me not wanting to learn a whole new janky system for something that already has a four other janky systems, thank you very much.

Part of my confusion is that there are two different skins for the gen1 synths, one of which is called "SkinSynthGen2Mech" just to be confusing. It's only the ones with the latter skin that have the problem. 

Add to this that AMELIA doesn't ship its own body so all the synths are running around with upsettingly human dicks hanging out. I equipped the not-Gen2Mech synths with "clothes" that are just the vanilla body, on the theory that AAF will strip the clothes and the body will work, but I haven't tested that out. I think the synths need a body with like a port that opens and extrudes a rod of appropriate shape and size but I'm not going there yet. (Probably I should just do it now because I'm creating 5 variants of everything to handle the color variants. It's not really a major deal with the morph system AAF uses.)

Once more into the breach.

Okay, I think I got what's going on and I think I'm not going to try to replicate it this rev.

Looks like the gen2-gen 1 synths (and probably the gen 2 synths, but I haven't gotten there yet, but if so that naming now makes sense) have a body that's just the internal armature and then a bunch of skin parts that fit over the top. Like you say, it's like a weapon mod where the sight or whatever fits over the base model. That would allow the covering to be blasted off by a shot, revealing the underlying armature. 

(Just looked at the gen 2 synths and they don't use the same assets but they mostly use the same mechanism, except the base body is a full body with dismemberment. It even has metcaps or maybe "circuitry caps" is more accurate. Then the armor mods are bits of actual armor. The more basic gen 1 synths don't have meatcaps but I think that's because they come apart at joints in the mechanism. So Beth was fooling around with three different ways of making all this work, just to make our lives interesting.

But of course the AMELIAs don't work that way. I suppose they could--cut up the AMELIA skin into parts and assemble them over a frame with this armor-mod system. Could even be the vanilla internal frame, if the shapes  match, and if they don't that's fixable. That way you'd blow off the AMELIA shell and reveal the wire-and-frame structure underneath.

I think I'm gonna save that for a second pass tho. For now I'll just make all the synths work in the simplest way possible, with basic dismemberment. Can fool with variants on mayhem when more of the basics are in place.

Canine flaccid sheaths? I didn't do AAF support yet. (Was wondering if people would care. Silly me.) I *think* doing it is actually dead easy bc the morphs are actually there--but there seemed to be two ways of handling the erections and I didn't find the supermutant tri until later. So I'll put it in.

On the subject of the synths which I guess are likely to be the next update: 

AMELIA doesn't seem to have direct AAF support and uses the vanilla body, so you get the equipment your body has. (AMELIA authors, correct me.) That's maybe fine for that mod but synths don't really have clothes so they have to be covered up somehow or they all run around with very human-style peens hanging out. I tried creating outfits but I want to show the AMELIA color variations so that's five dups all the way up the wazoo. So I thought instead it would be just as simple to adapt the canine body by giving it more synth-like equipment and then AAF support would come for free. And one thing led to another and I ended up with this:

image.png

Which, in the appropriate circumstances turns into this:

Spoiler

image.png

So whaddyall think? I thought the spot of color in the normal version was fun, but 'm wondering if it's maybe too much excitement. That's an irising opening there, so it could just close all the way and that would be fine too. 

Opinions welcome.