7 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

AMELIA doesn't seem to have direct AAF support and uses the vanilla body, so you get the equipment your body has. (AMELIA authors, correct me.)

Correct. As far as the game knows, AMELIA is just another playable ("biological") humanoid race, even if their body and face textures have painted-on "robotic" look. So they behave like any other playable race would, with the "vanilla" body system.

[...] one thing led to another and I ended up with this:

So whaddyall think?

Lmao, that's... pretty fitting. And definitely much better than a normal human dong. In fact if this works out and I ever update AMELIA, I might have to poke you about including it as the default male body there. ?

I thought the spot of color in the normal version was fun, but 'm wondering if it's maybe too much excitement. That's an irising opening there, so it could just close all the way and that would be fine too.

I do think the color spot is alright, so it can stay as far as I'm concerned.

Wonder if it's possible to allow the user to choose with the Bodyslide set. Like, have the "Zeroed Sliders" shape be the 100% closed one, and then have a custom slider that gives you the "very slightly opened with visible color tip" shape. But that would mean the "Erect" slider would have to be tweaked to work okay both on the "Zeroed Sliders" closed shape and on the "slightly opened" one, so it may not be straightforward. ?

Opinions welcome.

The rod itself feels a bit too "bare" and could use some texturing, like the hex pattern on the main body "shell". But this is clearly a WIP so I dunno if you were already planning on doing more texture detail once the meshes were finished.

Other than that, looks okay to me, lol.

2 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

But that would mean the "Erect" slider would have to be tweaked to work okay both on the "Zeroed Sliders" closed shape and on the "slightly opened" one, so it may not be straightforward

It would not. I know because I tried to do things like that with the balls on the canine mesh and it was a PITA.

Agreed that the shaft needs love.

(Just had to say that LMAO.)

You can have any part of the model back, ofc. It has pawfeet but the dong part is easily seperable.

BTW, @Bad Dog are you planning to include more stuff in the next update or will it focus on synths only?

I've got a bunch of bug reports and comments/suggestions that concern the Furrifier script and the NPC files, so since the synths will need to be included in the NPC file I figure it may not be a bad idea to get everything done in a row. But since I dunno how long it'll take to get the synths done and whether you'll want to post the update as soon as that happens or not, I wanted to make sure first. Wouldn't want to post a long-ass writeup of all the bugs and comments I have only for it to get lost in the thread in the meantime, lol. :classic_wacko:

1 hour ago, Bad Dog said:

Hit me with it now, better to fix things as we go.

Okay, so here we go. Buckle up for a wall of text ?:

----- 1) The NPC plugin needs more faces (NPCs) to draw from for generic enemies like Raiders or Gunners. Badly. This is a problem in the vanilla game already since there's only like 7 different faces for all Raiders in the game but Beth (literally) covered it up by having them all spawn with Sack Hoods. But FF4 makes it more obvious since the different races are more obvious at first glance so you don't need to see the face to notice it's the same base NPC you already killed several times over.

I mean... for example see this mare below (Figure 1)? Not particularly bad looking, right? Well, every single Raider base or Gunner outpost I visit has at least two clones of her around, sometimes even more. I don't mind seeing her because she looks alright, but when it gets to the point where there's several clones of the same NPC exclusively staffing a whole Raider gang, it's wacky.

Figure 1:

Spoiler

Figure1.jpg

It's probably just a matter of creating a bunch of duplicates of the vanilla Raider/Gunner face template NPCs, adding them to the same Leveled Character lists as the originals, and running the Furrifier on them, so not a huge deal. But it does need to be done.

----- 2) The Furrifier face region/morph data generator needs to be adjusted to avoid generating deformed characters. I have no idea why, but it seems to love spitting out hideous abominations. Hyenas have it particularly bad for some reason (Figure 2), but it seems all races are affected (Figure 3):

Figure 2:

Spoiler

Figure2.jpg

Figure 3:

Spoiler

Figure3.jpg

While all values are wacky, seems like the ones that irrevocably mess NPCs up are those that pertain the Eyes region. So just making it so Eyes always keep 0 value morphs or have the transforms be very small at most would probably solve most of the issues there. Still good to check out the other ones if possible, but first things first.

----- 3) The Furrifier needs to be adjusted to include other random antler styles for Cervids instead of the 2 default ones. Right now all male deers are Whitetails and all female ones are Goats. It's a shame to have the 10 or so different antler options only for Furrifier'd characters to only use those 2 ones, since pretty much all NPCs in the game will be created using the Furrifier.

----- 4) The race data needs to be adjusted, at least as far as "default" face parts are concerned. Some races have weirdness on their race data, most notably on the default face parts list. For example Hyenas have a pre-set vanilla human female hair in their head parts list, so any she-hyena not given a specific hair will use that one as the "default" (as it can be seen on the left-side hyena in Figure 2 above).

I say all races should have either only the "very basic" parts (head, mouth, eyes) or the full set of all base/empty parts at most (e.g. the base ones + "FFO_NoHair" + "FFO_NoBeard" and so on). There should be no actual hair on the defaults, so a NPC with no head parts defined in their NPC record will have a "basic" look.

----- 5) The Furrifier needs to have its hair style selection code adjusted. Imma be honest here, most refit vanilla hairstyles look like crap other than the Unladylike sidehawk (Figure 3), Waste Maiden undercut ponytail (Figure 1), and Anchorage male army undercut/buzzcut. There's a few others that are bearable, but the rest is just... nope. See for example the "default" Nate hair that seemingly 50% of all FF4 males get, and which IMO looks bad (particularly so on Horses and Deers) (Figure 4):

Figure 4:

Spoiler

Figure4.jpg

Nevertheless, the Furrifier seems to love assigning vanilla refit hairs only, so we get a ton of ugly hairs. Meanwhile, the custom FF4 ones like the Mane or the Fringe Flip are never used even though they look much better. Even just the Mohawk is good enough IMO (Figure 5):

Figure 5:

Spoiler

Figure5.jpg

I'd say the priority when choosing what hair to randomly pick should be Custom FF4 Hairs >>>> the few Vanilla refit hairs that aren't terrible >> No Hair >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Other Vanilla refit hairs.

-------------------------------------------------

As you can see, while these mostly pertain to the Furrifier (other than 1) and 4)), the changes to them would only take effect after basically re-creating the NPC plugin from scratch (or at the very least nuking all the NPCs that don't have a handmade look and running the Furrifier on the vanilla human selves again), so that's why I wanted to bring it up now that the NPC plugin will need to be edited to add Synths anyway.

I'll see if I can find any other issues or suggestions and let you know.

Edited by Blaze69

Thanks. Redoing NPCs is not a problem.

I'm mostly not going to be okay with abandoning the vanilla hair because the replacers don't have the same 50's-gone-wrong flavor that vanilla has. So say more about what you don't like about them. E.g. your male default hair, what's the issue? Clipping through ears? Clipping through glasses? (I think vanilla does too.) Fit to the head? Sideburns having nothing at all to say to anthro ear position? (This one bugs me but then what do sideburns look like on an anthro? If anyone had reference art for this I'd love to see it.)

Again, good reference art for anthro hair would be a help.

I think the furrifier doesn't deal with hair at all currently. I think it either uses the furry version of vanilla hair or gives up.

I've been thinking that the furrifier is not distributing races well enough, which would be a problem in the hash algorithm, so if you have "EncStupidDirtyRaider01-4" it gives the same appearance to them all. I can look at that. Flip side, seems to me that a gang tends to be heavily all one race, which isn't really a bad thing.

I think the warped heads is fixed, but when I last ran facegen I didn't run it on NPCs based on a template, which turns out to be a mistake. There was a very bad lioness at the canteen on the Prydwen. If you can post form IDs I'll check them, otherwise I'll just spot-check.

I'm mostly not going to be okay with abandoning the vanilla hair because the replacers don't have the same 50's-gone-wrong flavor that vanilla has.

I guess I see why you would want to keep that, though I don't share that feeling at all, lol. I hate the 50s look with a passion, and in the "Modded Tacticool Fallout" scene that mostly dominates FO4 modding communities, those aren't particularly liked or widely used either.

Still though, I think no hair (aka "natural") and the custom hairs ported from Skyrim should be more widely used instead of mostly sticking to vanilla ones. You did make them for a reason, after all.

So say more about what you don't like about them. E.g. your male default hair, what's the issue? Clipping through ears? Clipping through glasses? (I think vanilla does too.) Fit to the head? Sideburns having nothing at all to say to anthro ear position? (This one bugs me but then what do sideburns look like on an anthro? If anyone had reference art for this I'd love to see it.)

Leaving aside my distaste for the aesthetic itself, the main issue I have is they are built and shaped 100% expecting a human head shape. So sideburns and fringes and such are laid out in a way that only leaves the "standard human face" area uncovered (e.g. a circle-ish centered on the nose and going up to the brows and down to the chin at most). And getting them out of the way or shaped around the actual head they're meant to be used on is either hard as hell with a subpar result or outright impossible.

Same thing happens with all the custom human hairs out there, so while yeeting all vanilla hairs and replacing them with ones from KS Hairdos would get rid of the 50s aesthetics I don't like, it wouldn't do much about the meshes themselves not fitting the furry heads.

I should also mention that horses and deers have it particularly bad due to the different head shape and the fact their forehead is practically non-existent. So "normal" hairs end up having the hairline end up where the brows would be, lol. Hairs that only cover the top of the head and are limited to between the ears are bearable, but the moment they try to follow the (human) head curve on the sides lower than what the ears are, it gets bad. :classic_undecided:

Again, good reference art for anthro hair would be a help.

I can search around, but the main issue I've found is art gives you too much leeway. Like, unless you have an autistically-detailed ref sheet and have all art of the character be tailored to it at OCD levels, it's impossible to keep consistency or respect anatomy in the way a fixed 3D shape forces you. The hairstyle that may look great on a particular image/pose may not be physically possible in a 3D world, and only appear so in the 2D drawing. Not sure if I explain myself properly, but I don't really know how else to say it, lol.

Using existing 3d models as reference would be ideal... if they actually existed. But all the anthro character 3D models that exist either are the 'toony VRChat/SFM style which furries love but which are useless for our more "realistic" character designs, or they simply do not have hair (because putting hair on an anthro is hard).

Pretty much all my characters use mohawks or sidehawks, in part because those are the most "natural" styles or the ones that get closest to RL hair lookalikes on animals (e.g. horse manes or zebra "mohawks"), but mostly because those are the easiest to refit to anthro heads properly. Incidentally, the few vanilla hairs that look okay to me on anthros happen to be ones that are either mohawks or sidehawks or just ones that are centered around the top of the head instead of the sides.

I've been doing a lot of experimenting with custom hairs and such (basically trying to refit pretty much every single ripped character's hair out there, and there's a ton of ripped character assets available) and the aforementioned mohawks and sidehawks are the only ones I've gotten to look right on them, sadly. :classic_unsure:

See for example my best shot at getting a "normal" hair (though one that I saw a certain potential in) for the deer heads:

Spoiler

unknown.png

Compare that to a few mins of tinkering with a hair that is already top-only-ish:

Spoiler

X2.png

----------------------------------------------

...while on the topic of "good anthro hair references", though... I save these pics a while ago as examples of hairs I'd love to have for the horses and deers assuming they are even physically possible on 3D (which I'm not sure all of them are).

So, in case you feel like doing more hairs for them:

Spoiler

bef2689daaf7d6f285a3d4ea6ceb5fbb.png

bdf46eb6766a873545e66d9dfc7f20de.jpg

2a891a02cfc5400aa3539d15a92c97be.png

f4b694a5f737cbbe875a3a146d909c0a.png

a676a2a5f3aabe65eab89d2a23209b90.jpg

I think the furrifier doesn't deal with hair at all currently. I think it either uses the furry version of vanilla hair or gives up.

...yeah, that sounds like a problem. I think it should pick one at random instead, or maybe have a toggle setting between being 100% random and looking for a matching furry hair to the vanilla one *before* going random as fallback.

I've been thinking that the furrifier is not distributing races well enough, which would be a problem in the hash algorithm, so if you have "EncStupidDirtyRaider01-4" it gives the same appearance to them all. I can look at that.

I honestly have no idea how that algorithm works, but the first thing that comes to mind is looking at both the FormID and EditorID. That way, even if you create like 5 different copies of the same record with the same EditorID, the final result of furrifying them won't be identical since they'll have different FormIDs.

I think I should also point out that the lack of different chargen options doesn't help much on that aspect. There's only, like, 5 eye colors for all races combined, and same goes for skin colors (face markings and such don't have a huge selection but it's decent enough). Even just minor changes like a similar-but-not-identical skin tone can make a huge difference.

Vulpines include a bazillion different skin tone presets, for example; may be worth looking into adding them to the FF4 races, so the Furrifier has more preset colors to pick from. Then again it would be a soul-crushing tedious job unless you can figure out a xEdit script to do it for you, though. ?

Flip side, seems to me that a gang tends to be heavily all one race, which isn't really a bad thing.

I mean... having Raiders or Gunners bias towards a specific race is one thing, as long as the actual NPCs there have different looks and such. The real issue comes when there's only 1 or 2 NPCs for each Raider subtype so you end up with "Attack of the Clones". :classic_wacko:

I think the warped heads is fixed, but when I last ran facegen I didn't run it on NPCs based on a template, which turns out to be a mistake. There was a very bad lioness at the canteen on the Prydwen. If you can post form IDs I'll check them, otherwise I'll just spot-check.

I can try to gather the IDs for the worst offenders, but honestly I get the feeling the best way to go around this is to re-run the Furrifier on all NPCs altogether (possibly after adding the extra skin tones and/or eyes mentioned above and tweaking hair distribution). Then maybe manually tweak unique/important NPCs to give them a bit of a more customized appearance. Like you did for Skyrim.

4 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

I hate the 50s look with a passion

LOL and I wouldn't say I *like* it. The '50s are everyone's least favorite period after all. But it goes with the whole FO4 world and backstory and it's part of making it coherent.

3 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

Hairs that only cover the top of the head and are limited to between the ears are bearable

... the main issue I've found is art gives you too much leeway

Acknowledging your second point, when I scout around the anthro art I think the answer is you just can't finesse the ears. Here's a snekdog with a 50's pompadour for example:

Spoiler

image.png

The artist didn't even try to handle the sideburns, so it conforms to your "only between the ears" idea. The art you posted, likewise. A lock of hair falling artfully in front of the ears is maybe okay, but you can't just run over them like they're not there. Or maybe the ruff below the ear can act like sideburns if it's textured that way. This, by the same artist:

Spoiler

image.png

I've generally tried to keep as much of the hair as possible and not worried about clipping--maybe I should go the other way. It's also true, @poblivion, that the KS and Apachii human hairdos could be mined for ones that could be converted.

4 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

the first thing that comes to mind is looking at both the FormID and EditorID

Yeah, well, that wasn't the first thing that came to *my* mind. I don't think I've ever considered combining the two. I can do that, but I don't want to change how the races are done because I'm already used to people being what they are. I think you're right tho that the only real answer is add a bunch more NPCs and put them in the leveled lists. 

On 8/11/2021 at 2:29 AM, Gryphe said:

Hey y'all,

I've made my custom patches available over at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KvOHOgU1U8_f5CWWMoMIjuo-iuCPHoQm?usp=sharing in case someone wants to mess around with a couple mods - Currently testing a Tales of the Commonwealth patch so I won't add it until I'm 100% certain everything works.

The following patches are currently available;

FurryFallout - Diamond City Expansion

FurryFallout - Ellen the Cartographer

FurryFallout - Heather Casdin

FurryFallout - I'm Darlene

FurryFallout - Insane Ivy

FurryFallout - Sim Settlements 1 (Legacy)

FurryFallout - Sim Settlements 2

Yes, I like custom companions. xD

Eagerly waiting to see what other mods you intend to patch. :3

Freakin A I am legit going to die.

I could have handled the synths by doing one or two fake-tin-metal anthro head parts and doing a 1-1 substitute of the synth head parts and called it good. But Noooo I had to go get the Amelia and Javelin assets and jam them into the synth structure. If I had known how much of a hassle it would be I don't think I would have had the stones to do it.

Synths don't work like a normal NPC AT ALL and I haven't (yet) replicated everything they do. First I had to figure out their crazy mechanism, then decide what to do about it, then figure out how to distribute the Amelia assets so they all get used, then make a body special for them, then after everything is done and it's looking good suddenly the whole thing starts crashing all over the place and I don't know if it's because I messed up changing the synth NPCs to not use their armor mod mechanism, or something I did. And it's one of those where you have something that works and then you change it a bit and everything breaks and then you back up to what was working and it's not working anymore.

ANYWAY I now have a body that works tho I still don't know exactly what the problem is. I *think* it has something to do with the shaders because I can get a good export if I don't touch the freaking things, but I haven't figured it out exactly. I'm backing away quietly hoping it doesn't fall apart.

image.png

Interesting, very interesting indeed. ?

52 minutes ago, poblivion said:

Bug report: I found this weird looking NPC right at the beginning of the game. You may already know about it.

Hide contents

enb2021_10_31_11_50_16f.jpg

Pure "it's just my art style" material right there, lmao. ?

1 hour ago, poblivion said:

Bug report: I found this weird looking NPC right at the beginning of the game. You may already know about it.

A named NPC! Cool, will check.

Edit: She was sick. Better now. 

Spoiler

image.png

I think some npcs just didn't get run through facegen bc that's how she is in my working copy.

Edited by Bad Dog

A named NPC! Cool, will check.

Speaking of which (and sorry for not posting these earlier since I kinda forgot about it, lol):

• Lucy Abernathy (6B4D2) is fucked (she's the one on the right in Figure 2 from my post above).
  • Connie Abernathy (6B4D1) isn't terrible, but there's something off about her face or at least her eyes.
    • She also has the bugged "default head part" human hair so she needs to be re-FaceGenned once the race data is fixed (...just like a bazillion other hyenas, so it may be best to re-generate FaceGen for any NPCs using the race).
  • encRaiderFaceF03 (FD3A6) has weird eyes.
  • encRaiderFaceF04 (1D8E19) has weird eyes.
  • encRaiderFaceF05 (1D8E1A) is completely fucked and has the bugged human hair (poor yeens deserve better, lmao).
  • encGunnerFaceF01 (FD3AC) seems to be an exact clone of encRaiderFaceF01 (FD3A4) aka the Bay Mare with the ponytail. Dunno if it's intentional or not but this seems to be part of the reason she seems to show up every-fucking-where.
  • encGunnerFaceF02 (1BCEA4) also seems to be a clone of encRaiderFaceF02 (FD3A5) aka the Blushing Goat. See point above.
  • encGunnerFaceF03 (1EA899) looks mostly okay but needs a new hair.
  • EncMinutemenFaceF01 (1BF0AB) has weird eyes.
  • encMinutemenFaceF02 (24A030) has weird eyes.
  • EncMinutemenFaceF03b (24A031) has fucked eyes.

I'll post more as I find them.

While we're at it, here's a quick count of the vanilla generic enemy faces as proof that FF4 desperately needs more and different faces on top of them, lol:

• Raiders: 9 males, 5 females.
    • Raider Ghouls: 4 males. 2 females (though I think these are only used in very specific and limited locations/camps).
  • Minutemen/Settlers (same pool): 12 males, 6 females.
  • Gunners: 9 males, 4 females.
  • Triggermen: 5 males + 5 Ghoul males (=10 once Ghouls are furrified).
  • Far Harbor Trappers: 5 males.
  • Nuka World Gangs: 8 males, 4 females, except for...
    • Disciples: 4 males, 8 females (aka numbers are inverted).

As you can see, the amount of different faces for each faction is ridiculously low, especially so for ones that are used a lot (like Raiders, Settlers or Gunners in particular). Combine that with RNGsus sometimes spawning like 2-4 clones of the same base face at once, and things get fucky.

I'd try to at least double the amount of faces for each faction, possibly more considering there's no facial-sculpting work and the Furrifier takes care of it.

6 minutes ago, Blaze69 said:

As you can see, the amount of different faces for each faction is ridiculously low

That will save me a whole bunch of hunting around in leveled lists. Thing is, with the furrifier making additional faces is easy. Identifying which leveled lists need the attention is the hard part. 

I'll check your NPCs. I'm hoping they all just needed a facegen pass.

10 minutes ago, Blaze69 said:
  • encRaiderFaceF05 (1D8E1A) is completely fucked and has the bugged human hair (poor yeens deserve better, lmao).

Also too, I dunno what's up with this hair. I must have just been moving them to the anthro position and calling it good. I've been playing with a similar style (11) to see if I can do something better:

Spoiler

image.png

Still sucks, pretty much. I think if there's too much hair in front of the ears you get that weird gap and it's just not okay. I was going for something more like this:

Spoiler

Hairstyle example.png

... in terms of how the ears are handled, but I think if you're going to have a lock in front of the ear at all it has to clearly be a lock of hair, not that mass that comes from nowhere. Also that artist hasn't tried to bring the roots of the hair down towards the forehead at all, and that might make a difference.

55 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

That will save me a whole bunch of hunting around in leveled lists. Thing is, with the furrifier making additional faces is easy. Identifying which leveled lists need the attention is the hard part.

You can always just check the mods that already add new faces to the different factions to see the specific lists they edit. More Generic NPC Faces and Lots More Settlers And Enemies are two examples.

The former even includes a screenshot of the specific Leveled NPC lists they edit:

38407-1554988126-864939330.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

I've been playing with a similar style (11) to see if I can do something better:

Still sucks, pretty much.

I... yeah, it's bad. Definitely better than it was before, but still bad. :classic_undecided:

48 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

Also that artist hasn't tried to bring the roots of the hair down towards the forehead at all, and that might make a difference.

Yeah, it kinda looks like the hair roots start roughly between the ears and the "fringe" is a particularly long lock that manages to reach to the front and a bit to the side. Kinda sidehawk/mane-ish. Seems like all the concepts around good-looking 3d anthro hair fall in that vicinity, even if figure out what they are exactly and how to convert the existing vanilla hairs to adhere to it isn't simple, lol.

I am WORN OUT. I got the JAVELINs in as gen-2 synths and then had to do something with Valentine, because he's a gen 2 synth and it's part of his backstory. So first I had to take the Anubis head and beat it up a bit and combine it with his inside mechanisms. Then I had to figure out the damn hat, which usually I ignore but I'd taken one ear off and exposed the wiring inside and that just looked stupid unless I did real holes in the hat. Then I had to handle the expression because the JAVELINs are badass with this kinda snarky expression but Nick has to be more world-weary and jaded. So it was a fuckton of back and forth getting all the parts to work the way I wanted.

I never did figure out where the hell the eye color is coming from. That's some serious magic there.

But I got it done so I'm coming down the home stretch on a new release! This one has synths gen 1 & 2 and I'll hold it up just to do Blaze's thing upthread with more variety in NPCs. That should go pretty quick. Both JAVELIN and AMELIA synths will be ready for sex, and the supermutants will do the nasty too. Fair warning, tho, I haven't seen that actually work. But I shared the file with one of the AAF folks and he said it was working for him, so I think that's just my setup.

I also cleaned up some wild verts on the canine male body along the way.

I am WORN OUT. I got the JAVELINs in as gen-2 synths and then had to do something with Valentine

And here I was thinking I would finally be able to have someone other than Nick as a follower now that the others are nonhuman and Strong is a doggo. Curse you (...with abundance and wealth, so not really a curse, lol). ?

Seriously though, that sounds great. Looking forward to that update and the NPC face expansion as well.

Edited by Blaze69
1 hour ago, chaostech321 said:

Does anybody know how I can fix this issue? It seems to happen with clothing like dresses, skirts and trench coats.

Can't be fixed. Tails use vanilla long coat cloth physics, so if you wear any outfits that use the same physics set (like the Courser one) at the same time, both will clash and cause the spazzing. Only way around it is to not wear those outfits.

15 minutes ago, Blaze69 said:

Can't be fixed. Tails use vanilla long coat cloth physics, so if you wear any outfits that use the same physics set (like the Courser one) at the same time, both will clash and cause the spazzing. Only way around it is to not wear those outfits.

Damn. Well thanks anyway. It makes for some pretty hilarious results sometimes, especially with Nick's secretary.