Opinions of The Witcher Series on Netflix?

Popularity do not attest for quality.

Witcher 3 might be a good game, but its not better than a fully modded Skyrim.

One thing to notice is the rain, which goes through buildings, and the lack of dust effects. This could be fixed with mods, but Witcher never had proper modding tools.

Also, you can only play with Geralt, so its very limited in roleplaying possibilities.

8 hours ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

Popularity do not attest for quality.

Witcher 3 might be a good game, but its not better than a fully modded Skyrim.

One thing to notice is the rain, which goes through buildings, and the lack of dust effects. This could be fixed with mods, but Witcher never had proper modding tools.

Also, you can only play with Geralt, so its very limited in roleplaying possibilities.

The Creation Kit (with BGS' best serving as a framework) is the best RPG of all time. I don't say that facetiously. It allows everyone to share assets, rule set rejiggering, character concepts/designs and campaigns over great distances and time in a way that no other RPG ever could.

10 hours ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

you can only play with Geralt

I'm having a lot of fun with Geralt Doppler and Mute Geralt. I've already completed the game before and I just need to read pretty fast sometimes. But looking at a beautiful woman in all the scenes, fighting and exploring is a real shot in the arm for me. It just sucks that the North is a lost cause no matter what you do.

17 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I'm just super hyped about the extra exposure because it will help motivate CDPR to double down on a forth Witcher title. As long as the show doesn't completely fubar things, it can only help to build a much bigger fan base. The timing couldn't have been better coming off the close of the GOT series. 

Yes, they stated as much many  years ago when they finished working on the final udpates for Witcher 3...  They will use that same universe but have a different game in it. It would be interesting to see what they do. Perhaps some elves? Maybe what happens to Ceri since Geralt is suppose to be out of the picture. Maybe... even a brief Cameo of Geralt or one of the main characters.  I  even heard that perhaps they will go back in time to the time of Geralt's teacher (forget his name :( ) or follow Lambert or another's  life for a while with interesting stories.

If they created a civ type of game perhaps something along the lines where you re-kindel the witcher world. Or a conjunction of spheres where our world merges with that one and tech and magic is present...

don't think it will get enough seasons to properly do it justice. the best way i can describe its biggest problem is that it was written by people that seem to know witcher lore well but suck at actually writing it. this is going to result in nerds rating it above average and normies rating it below average. two examples:

1) at no point are signs even remotely hinted at as a thing until geralt just randomly fucking aards some dudes in the cunt. most of us who know witcher were probably like "neat" while the normies are like "so hes a warrior that can do magic, thats a thing i guess."

2) multiple times we see geralt reach for his pendant, however on screen it does not glow, or make a sound, or anything to let the viewer know that something is up with it. we know what is up, but any normal person is probably did not even notice, thinking maybe its like when you go to comic con and see some shit and start running for it but have to hold your badge down so it doesn't fly up in your stupid face.

looping back to my original point, there are lots of tiny witcher things like that in the series that don't even have accidental passing explanations for, leaving huge gaps in understanding between how something happened, why something happened, or the reaction something got. few non-witchy friends i have that have watched it have said its things like "it was alright. some things just happened and sure but whatever"

p.s. i hate the actress for yennifer. she is bad at her job.

p.p.s. geralt has a baby face but he does the voice very well so i've gotten over his baby face.

p.p.p.s. they need to cut the fuck out with the contact lenses specially on ciri THE ACTRESSES EYES ARE ALREADY THAT FKN COLOUR the only actress who doesn't have retarded eyes is yennifer. the contacts "hurt her so much" she just refused to wear them and they c.g.'d them to be purple and what do you know she's the only one that doesn't have eyes that stick out of her gd head.

When an existing IP with a following notable enough to warrant further offerings has so many established stories, characters and design, lore, etc., it seems pretty hard to do it badly.

It's when those responsible step away from what is accepted for 'reasons' that things begin to create controversy, and dissatisfaction. I understand changes for the sake of format, and even audience age requirements. I don't understand when they blindly veer away from what makes something popular to begin with.

Regardless of the path they choose, having an ending in the can will go a long way to keep things reasonably on coarse. One can hope The Witcher keeps what works, and works on what doesn't.

My take on the different timelines in The Witcher series...it might be confusing for those who aren't familiar with the world and background of the Witcher's world, it really comes together around Episode 4.  Sure it jumps back and forth quite a bit but in the end, most people should get the whole picture by that point.  I might not like a couple of casting choices (Triss..cough..cough) but they got most of the other casting down pat especially Geralt and Yennefer.  I intially wasn't sold on Henry Cavill as I was set on Mads Mikkelson especially after Age of Uprising.....but damn, did Henry's performance convince me.  I've watched Cavill in quite a few movies and cable series to know he's a very good actor (his turn as Charles Brandon is VERY good in "The Tudors")  But I think the series will take off in Season 2 now that introductions and the backstory are out of the way in Season 1 or so I hope. I really want to see that.  But for gods' sake cut down on the "Hmmm"s...good lord..stop that. STOP THAT SHIT HENRY CAVILL!

I personally having blast with it, so it did its job, entertaining me.

The highlights of the series easily Geralt and well Jaskier(Dandelion), was the most entertaining parts.

I expected worser, got a way better thing.

I not really read the books, played the games, they were fun, but thats it.

I ain't too big on it.

Guest AthenaESIV

I thought the show was pretty good, but I hated most of the music in it... The "Toss a Coin to your Witcher" song is terrible imo and I can't believe so many people do covers of it and stuff.

A lot of times the score just sounded tone deaf too, like it didn't at all fit the show. And the ending segment songs were usually so bad I'd just skip to the next episode. You could tell it tried to emulate GoT with the credit songs, but it was a poor man's imitation at best.

Anyway, if the show had better music all around it would drastically improve the quality.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the whole thing twice. Can't help but compare to the game on some level.

• Game: everyone is gorgeous except Geralt. Show: everyone is ugly but Geralt. ? ?

OK OK, it's not quite like that. ?

My (mostly negative) impressions (beware ye who enter :face_dragon:)

• Spoiler

• Triss casting: WHAT THE BLOODY HELL!!? (But at least she can act! ?)
    • Fringilla casting: WHAT THE #(*$&#*!!? And to make it worse the acting is horrible! ?‍♀️ (I blame the directors here. They could have re-shot those scenes and helped her out a bit.)
    • Geralt casting: surprisingly great. I went in expecting to hate him (wasn't a big fan of Geralt in the game either) and I ended up liking him.
    • Ciri casting: actually fantastic.
    • Yen casting: Meh. She's not very Yen like. But it's not so bad that it's overly distracting. Fortunately she just has two modes: stoic and angry. (That is pretty Yen like at least!)
    • Dandy-err Jaskier casting: PERFECT. (Annoying as hell in the game AND the show! Excellent work show! ?wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==)
    • All the Dryads: #(*&$#(*$&!!??!? Was there a cheap deal on Mad Max extras? ?
    • Anybody elven (so far): #($*&#($*&#!?
    • Otherwise the casting was decent to fantastic.

• In the beginning the show jumps around in time a lot and that can be confusing. It was a lot clearer the second time through. (Silly as this could be fixed with a date stamp letting the viewer know what the hell is going on.)
    • Apparently gold dragons are actually giant yellow starved chickens. (Now we know why there are few left. ?wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw== )
    • Yen using a sword at all instead of magic: #(*$&#(*$&!? ?‍♀️
    • Yen and Geralt having a kiss mid-sword fight: ?‍♀️wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==?‍♀️wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==?‍♀️wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==?‍♀️wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw== (I want to know what genius wrote THAT into the episode!)
    • Most effects are fine. Meaning they weren't so bad I was taken out of the show. (Except for the :chicken:.)
    • Music is blase. Maybe for the best. Except for that Coin song. That is the stuff of nightmares. ?
    • The general tone isn't: let's join hands and sing! This is a VERY good thing! <-- This reaction is likely due to having watched a bunch of bad Disney stuff lately. AHEM. ?‍♀️

With that out of the way, I managed to get through the whole thing. Twice. (Meaning it's not terrible. ?) It kept me interested the whole time. Even on the chicken dragon episode I was interested (quite liked the gold chicken dragon actor in fact). Acting, with only a few exceptions, ranged from passable to great. (A huge feat these days!)

Overall reaction: Great! Provided: you can handle sometimes asinine casting, some cringe here and there, and the odd FX mega-fail.

What the show really did for me was just encourage another run through Witcher 3. Apparently I'm not alone there given the surge in players. ?

On 1/11/2020 at 4:46 PM, AthenaESIV said:

I thought the show was pretty good, but I hated most of the music in it... The "Toss a Coin to your Witcher" song is terrible imo and I can't believe so many people do covers of it and stuff.

A lot of times the score just sounded tone deaf too, like it didn't at all fit the show. And the ending segment songs were usually so bad I'd just skip to the next episode. You could tell it tried to emulate GoT with the credit songs, but it was a poor man's imitation at best.

Anyway, if the show had better music all around it would drastically improve the quality.

Out of all the music and other materials... that "Toss a Coin" song is the only one to take away from the song as acceptable/good.  :P  I agree that there are points in the song that seem to drop or is off. I don't play music or know enough to describe it..  The music in the game like the one that the Bard sings is in general higher quality than any on the Netflix series.

Being 'good" for the netflix show doesn't mean it is the best ever all song. ;)  You gotta work with what you got. Fans, of the show have only one song to choose from. In fact I believe it is the only one that I can even remember.  Also I like it becuase it is really like it was created by the want to be bard in the show... lol. The one that seems to mess up boiling water... lol

Guest AthenaESIV
3 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

But of course, a bigger budget can make all the difference.

True, but imo it is more about picking the right person for the job. They selected very poorly when it comes to who was put in charge of music production. All I can think is they were very convincing in the interview process but failed miserably at executing the vision they shared withthe show runners.

I've seen lots of low budget shows and games where the music is by far the best aspect of the show. For this Witcher series, whatever the person's goal was or inspiration, it was just shit imo.

But maybe I am being too hard on them, maybe the blame lies more with the show runners and what they were asking for, but whatever the reason the music makes me not want to rewatch the show really at all, once was enough.

10 hours ago, Nessa said:
  • Yen using a sword at all instead of magic: #(*$&#(*$&!?
  •  

I thought that was just really stupid. Worse is that she looked proficient with it at all- which it is just utter garbage since she is a Sorceress- like you point out- that has probably never trained with a sword in her whole life since it is considered a crude instrument by almost all mages. Probably going for a Gandalf meme there.:classic_blink:

Image result for gandalf sword meme"

2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I thought that was just really stupid. Worse is that she looked proficient with it at all- which it is just utter garbage since she is a Sorceress- like you point out- that has probably never trained with a sword in her whole life since it is considered a crude instrument by almost all mages. Probably going for a Gandalf meme there.:classic_blink:

I don't believe she was particularly good with the sword.. not Knight etc level good.  She would be exposed to such things being at a court and since she isn't a normal woman (duties etc) might be allowed to, Combined with centuries of life.. (in the series ) she could pick up some tricks and such.  However, I might not have paid that much attention to that. By the time she started swinging a sword around in any reasonable level.. I had started to get tuned out of the series and was just watching it (not trying to see it as the game etc)

If there was a scene etc where she was really dam good. Solder level good or knight level for that matter, In the minds of those that read this... please let me know the episode. I will re watch it.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I thought it was particularly weird given she just time stopped a bunch of dwarves with a flick of the wrist just before the fight. I was fully expecting Geralt to get ready to kill stuff and then she goes and magics them all. That would have been funny and less work for the show even. But nooo... suddenly Yen is a warrioress and we get a cringy mid swing kiss. ?‍♀️ (And naturally a scene later she's mad at him. ? )

Really that whole episode was bad. It stands out as the worst to me. There are issues in other episodes but never were so many concentrated into one spot. I wonder if the writer on that one was different?

21 hours ago, Nessa said:

I thought it was particularly weird given she just time stopped a bunch of dwarves with a flick of the wrist just before the fight. I was fully expecting Geralt to get ready to kill stuff and then she goes and magics them all. That would have been funny and less work for the show even. But nooo... suddenly Yen is a warrioress and we get a cringy mid swing kiss. ?‍♀️ (And naturally a scene later she's mad at him. ? )

Really that whole episode was bad. It stands out as the worst to me. There are issues in other episodes but never were so many concentrated into one spot. I wonder if the writer on that one was different?

I don't remember that scene.  Then again I don't remember a lot of the episodes... lol.  If it was the one with the Dragon etc.. then if she was fighting them with swords and shit.. that shouldn't have happened. They were experienced adventurers.

12 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

I don't remember that scene.  Then again I don't remember a lot of the episodes... lol.  If it was the one with the Dragon etc.. then if she was fighting them with swords and shit.. that shouldn't have happened. They were experienced adventurers.

You forgot the mid-fight kiss!? ? That episode only got worse on the second viewing. I can understand tuning out at that point. ?

8 hours ago, Nessa said:

You forgot the mid-fight kiss!? ? That episode only got worse on the second viewing. I can understand tuning out at that point. ?

I can forgive a might fight kiss etc.. (writer getting fancy etc etc) however, I can't forgive her being as capable as any seasoned warrior much less on par as Garelt. When it comes to sword play, fighting etc.

I remember they fought (at least I do lol) after the scene where he meets her and Dandalion thinks they died .. that was play fight on Geralt part.  I understand there will be parts where he doesn't quite fight as good as he could as he is holding back (often) from fully engaging against humans and such.