Opinions of The Witcher Series on Netflix?

Well.....there's no place like LL to stir up a shit-storm over some discrepancies between the fictional lore and any adaptation or re-telling. Perhaps we should stop modding games while we're at it since it is changing the original "vision" of the devs and writers? I'm thinking of replacing Triss and Yenn in my game since I want to see if I like another version of them better. Maybe African American for Triss and a beautiful American Indian for Yenn. Then I'm going to turn Geralt into a Drowner. :classic_tongue:

Its not the same thing. Movies and series are announced as "official", whereas mods are not.

Also you are not selling a mod, its distributed for free, and its always optional if someone want that different version or not. You are not forcing every Skyrim player to install hentai mods as a requirement to play the game.

11 minutes ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

Its not the same thing. Movies and series are announced as "official", whereas mods are not.

Also you are not selling a mod, its distributed for free, and its always optional if someone want that different version or not. You are not forcing every Skyrim player to install hentai mods as a requirement to play the game.

I know. But I'm so glad I can just enjoy things without being super critical. It's more Witcher! And since they did a pretty decent job with it, I'm enjoying it so far. Now if they change much else drastically, then I will be complaining about it. I hated how GoT ended for instance and haven't changed my mind.

11 hours ago, Mr.Otaku said:

No i meant the concept of the whole witchers and stuff, seems kinda weird. But if you mean in story people don't like witchers then that makes it even weirder. Like, from what i know from a friend and some snippets of info on the franchise here and there, they kill monsters and stuff. It's kinda stupid to demonize someone like that and risk having a rouge one who goes from city to city massacring everyone cause he had enough or something i dunno.

They're monster hunters that use alchemy (bad in the eyes of superstitious people), occult knowledge about spirits and curses that even surpasses those of the mages (again, very suspicious in the eye of the common folk), can use simple magic and they're not human themselves (which doesn't help either), able to sustain injuries and drink what for everyone else would be considered poison to enhance themselves. Witchers are tolerated because people need someone to hunt the monsters for them but that doesn't mean people have to like them. They're also mercenaries and don't hunt monsters for the sake of it, they want to be paid.

7 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

There's an alchemical reason for the broomstick and why they don't ride side-saddle. A male witch would be a warlock.

In german a witch is called 'hexe' and the male version is usually 'hexenmeister' or simply 'hexer'. Geralt was originally called a hexer in the translated version I believe, but the term Witcher was used later and this was the one that got popular. You can obviously draw parallels to the english word 'hex' which isn't that unusual since english and german have the same indo-european roots.

16 hours ago, Mr.Otaku said:

My word... Who the fuck did the casting for this? I know next to nothing about the witcher franchise (why is it even called the witcher anyway? That sounds so weird. It's like saying mager instead of mage or something lol) but even a blind can see that the casting had an agenda. Lmao especially the third one. I can say, just by looking at character design Henry Cavill looks the closest to the dude in the game.

Watching a few videos on Youtube, there are at least NINE BLACK characters in this show so far. The Polish folklore this is based on is WAY before Africa was discovered (i think) reminds me of the revisionists at the BBC in England that try to force everybody to believe England 1500 years ago was 55% blacks, asians and indians.

2 hours ago, Rokabur said:

Watching a few videos on Youtube, there are at least NINE BLACK characters in this show so far. The Polish folklore this is based on is WAY before Africa was discovered (i think) reminds me of the revisionists at the BBC in England that try to force everybody to believe England 1500 years ago was 55% blacks, asians and indians.

I admit that it does get carried too far sometimes. It's paranoia probably from the show's producers so they don't get labeled as racist bigots. Isn't it cool that we're subtly and quietly changing/rewriting history as we go along to appease the masses? You know....because the truth sucks. Reminds me of the decision in FO3 about project purity. You make the decision and deal with the consequences. :classic_wink:

3 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

They're monster hunters that use alchemy (bad in the eyes of superstitious people), occult knowledge about spirits and curses that even surpasses those of the mages (again, very suspicious in the eye of the common folk), can use simple magic and they're not human themselves (which doesn't help either), able to sustain injuries and drink what for everyone else would be considered poison to enhance themselves. Witchers are tolerated because people need someone to hunt the monsters for them but that doesn't mean people have to like them. They're also mercenaries and don't hunt monsters for the sake of it, they want to be paid.

Ah okay, so bounty hunters with few twists. Like Dawnguard if they were operating on a contractual basis and didn't beat up people for looking at them funny while using alchemy primarily. But i wonder, is there any plot reasons as to why witchers take shit from people and don't slap a few back or is it something the author didn't think of? Because thinking purely from narrative standpoint, having a whole faction of monster killing non-humans in a setting where most ordinary people hate them without setting off anyone in said faction to say enough is enough and going rouge doesn't seem very convincing at all.

Just now, Mr.Otaku said:

Ah okay, so bounty hunters with few twists. Like Dawnguard if they were operating on a contractual basis and didn't beat up people for looking at them funny while using alchemy primarily. But i wonder, is there any plot reasons as to why witchers take shit from people and don't slap a few back or is it something the author didn't think of? Because thinking purely from narrative standpoint, having a whole faction of monster killing non-humans in a setting where most ordinary people hate them without setting off anyone in said faction to say enough is enough and going rouge doesn't seem very convincing at all.

There are some rogues. There was a witcher who murdered kings, he appeared in the second game.

6 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Some do. School of the Viper is notorious if I remember correctly.

2 minutes ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

There are some rogues. There was a witcher who murdered kings, he appeared in the second game.

I see. I'd assume they're the ones with the most sense then lol.

They really leave the choice up to the player in the games. But, either way, you will cut down a LOT of people. It's just that while playing the nice guy you might put a few of them to sleep or just break their arm instead of kill them. Geralt typically is the kind to fuck every woman he can, make enough coin to live on, help the poor, instead of being a blood-thirsty killer. For someone that's not supposed to feel emotions, he sure seems to be very passionate about some things.

5 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

They really leave the choice up to the player. But, either way, you will cut down a LOT of people. It's just that while playing the nice guy you might put them to sleep or just break their arm instead of kill them.

Wait, you mean you can play as a total rouge? Kill all people in town and take their stuff for the hell of it? Buy some shit and then kill the merchant to get all the money back? Because that'd be pretty cool for someone who wants to play an evil guy lol.

2 hours ago, Mr.Otaku said:

Wait, you mean you can play as a total rouge? Kill all people in town and take their stuff for the hell of it? Buy some shit and then kill the merchant to get all the money back? Because that'd be pretty cool for someone who wants to play an evil guy lol.

No, I don't think so. The game won't let you attack anyone you want. But I think you can steal shit or fuck people up if they don't pay you. Could be wrong though. Nope, just tried. You can't. But, you can pretty much pick a fight everywhere you go and there is of course mods to let you rampage through the game, cutting a bloody swath through every settlement. I mean in the vanilla game everyone seems to want to fight him anyway- they're stupid like that.

The difference, in case you're interested, between Skyrim and the Witcher series is that killing, fucking, exploring in the Witcher is much more satisfying- to me anyway. I guess because the devs and writers tried to mix things up quite a bit instead of the same fetch quests to go in the cave and kill "x" for the shiny and come back. How things are presented and what you might do to complete them are varied interestingly and most of the characters are well thought out and have a bit of complexity.

8 hours ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

To add to that point: Mods are just another change that comes from audience agency due to the interactivity inherent to video games whereas movies and TV Shows alterations are made by someone other than the original creators or the audience themselves so it won't be as well received if questionable choices are made. 

For example, I'm fine with having a gun-wielding cutesy pink hermaphroditic Khajiit as the Dragonborn in my playthroughs of Skyrim and it is likely that few other players would care that I roll with that choice since it doesn't affect them in the slightest but if the first impression that the general public got of the Dragonborn was that interpretation because I held the film or TV rights to the Elder Scrolls franchise and all subsequent adaptations would be likely to reference my preferences, then it would be perfectly reasonable for other people to start griping about said choices from then on.

25 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

No, I don't think so. The game won't let you attack anyone you want.

Ah yes, i remember now. The dude just raised his fist when i tried attacking someone, he doesn't attack anyone who isn't a guard or a monster it seems. This was on a friend's PS4. Pretty fucking stupid if you ask me.

Well regardless, the only good thing i've seen Netflix ever do is the Blame movie. But then again, Netflix didn't actually make the movie, they just funded it and then slapped their logo on it so they don't really deserve any praise for the movie at all. Other than that they ruin everything. And from what i'm hearing about this show in particular it won't be good either bar Henry Cavill's performance who seems to have been a fan of the series for a long time (in the words of the fans). I mean the casting reeks of woke agenda, if it weren't so i might've actually watched the damn thing to see what's all the fuss about this franchise.

13 minutes ago, Mr.Otaku said:

Ah yes, i remember now. The dude just raised his fist when i tried attacking someone, he doesn't attack anyone who isn't a guard or a monster it seems. This was on a friend's PS4. Pretty fucking stupid if you ask me.

Well regardless, the only good thing i've seen Netflix ever do is the Blame movie. But then again, Netflix didn't actually make the movie, they just funded it and then slapped their logo on it so they don't really deserve any praise for the movie at all. Other than that they ruin everything. And from what i'm hearing about this show in particular it won't be good either bar Henry Cavill's performance who seems to have been a fan of the series for a long time (in the words of the fans). I mean the casting reeks of woke agenda, if it weren't so i might've actually watched the damn thing to see what's all the fuss about this franchise.

You've got some selectively shit sources as usual then because it's already beaten the record set by Stranger Things 3 in by-through views and third party ratings.

Instead of hearing you could be watching and then making up your own mind, I hear it's all the rage these days.