What is everyone's immersion breaking limit In Fallout or skyrim.

Hi all,

What I am talking about is the mod or part of a game like Skyrim or Fallout for where your mind goes NOPE, and it breaks any kind of immersion.

For example I can handle flying dragons, fire from fingertips, even the simplicity of security on tombs, raised dead, werewolves, vampires, Dwemer, I can happily justify skimpy sexy female clothing in Skyrim because "magical enchantments" 

But my one big nope is large breasts on a female in combat (not talking normal large but over the top), my brain just goes NOPE, how the hell does she even walk without straining her back and as for the idea of using a sword and not tearing/rupturing something  (even sports bra's have a limit) all the way to omg what a vulnerable target for arrows, daggers or sword, for some reason I can accept "magical enchantments" clothing but not for breasts lol.

So I have to avoid any mod to do with that if I want to have any kind of immersive play.

What are your "NOPE" that breaks my immersion every damn time.  

33 minutes ago, spoonsinger said:

CTD

The truest of all answers lmao.

OT: For me it's kinda weird. The way i have my game set up it wouldn't be considered "immersive" by many, but i have no problem getting lost in it because it's immersive to me. Whatever i like is immersive to me. Immersion to me is whatever i want it to be. I know that's kinda wired as far as the standard immersion rules goes but i don't know, do i really need to restrict myself? Because when i'm in critic mode nothing can satisfy me, i can make anything and everything look like absolute dogshit. So it's best if i just don't put restrictions on me and enjoy what i find enjoyable.

Rough TL;DR, Rule of cool is my immersion.

Vanilla: Any damned bug(thesda), the awful apparel and female character model/animation flaws (female running with bow was the worst), and every time I had to go into my inventory.

Modded: Any bug(thesda) or issues still not fixed, any creation aspect (housing, repair/improving weapons). Oh, and Steve Gheyvey.

1. Animations. Traditionally terrible, Skyrim got it fixed for females, mostly - I had to collect animations from ~10 mods to get the result I wanted. For male characters they are still terrible. And FO4 animations just as terrible as they were they day after release. Apparently getting to the level of Tomb Raider (the one from 15 years back) in this department is too much for Bethesda in 2019. Heck, I would pay 20 bucks in a blink of an eye for CC content that would make all PC/NPC animations more realistic and aesthetic, because vanilla ones make my eyes bleed.

2. Followers. I mean they were always kinda annoying in Skyrim, and I didn't think they could ever make it worse, but FO4 has brought the annoyance to a completely new level. Those damn followers, especially Dogmeat, just have to get between me and the container I'm looting. They just have to get in front of me the moment I'm trying to snipe someone from a distance. And they are annoyingly stupid. A raider charges at us. Ada: "Any idea where they left?". Me: "right behind you, Ada". SMACK. Me: "Yeah, right there". They either fall far behind or they almost mount me (and playing the game in 3rd person makes this insufferable, since instead of taking an item from a dead body or container I activate "command follower" instead all the damn time). They go around opening doors and triggering alarms. They get in my line of fire all the time. 

I've found a mod that fixes them at least partially by removing that "autorelaxing" "feature" that Bethesda have probably taken from some popular follower management mods for Skyrim but couldn't implement properly.

NPC filler dialogue.  "Mages snooping around Sarthal..."  How the fuck would a nobody pissant guard in Solitude know that?  And how the fuck would he know about it 4 hrs after it happened?  But the dialogue in Skyrim and FO4 is Millennial snark trash anyway.  Every NPC is a psychic smart ass.  Bethesda needs better writers...and a better engine...a better everything.

I see video RPGs as being digital equivalents of table top RPG box sets, being nothing but a starting point for any role playing that is to be done after wards. My immersion breaking point lies purely on the developer side of things, not the player side.

If the devs botch continuity in the base game or their C-team drops the ball when they are assigned writing duties for side quests, my immersion may be ruined where my adding guns to Skyrim, motorcycles and metropolises to Oblivion or cutesy Maidroids to Fallout 4 settlements don't do a thing to ding my immersion one bit since I come up with justifications for their presence when role-playing. The cockamamie  justifications are all part of the fun when it comes to creative play.

In Skyrim I'd say the terrible dialogue, even the little quotes on load screens are badly written and some of the expressions used are stupid and don't fit in to medieval times.

Just FYI sexy, scantily clad females are not immersion breaking or un-lore at all. Dunno who started that meme but they were naive to. Fantasy novels and movies also feature women like that so this is just some BS.

image.jpeg.bbc002ce797b37ef611bef98c414dbe9.jpeg

Image result for daggerfall elder scrolls

Image result for daggerfall sexy elder scrolls

CTD and missing textures.

Also modern and colorful clothing breaks my immersion.

Just now, RohZima said:

Just FYI sexy, scantily clad females are not immersion breaking or un-lore at all. Dunno who started that meme but they were naive to. Fantasy novels and movies also feature women like that so this is just some BS.

The old amazon archetype is despised by political correctness, hence the meme.

Girls with dicks, very immersion breaking and just really ruins the mood. I tend to avoid anything that adds dicks to girls, without an option to remove them and go back to normal. I prefer the normal root of genders, I don't like mixing it up cause it ruins my normal gameplay in skyrim. So basically restricting things to make sense and lore wise but also adding difficulty in combat.

50 minutes ago, RohZima said:

In Skyrim I'd say the terrible dialogue, even the little quotes on load screens are badly written and some of the expressions used are stupid and don't fit in to medieval times.

Oh yes indeedy. I usually play with no sound.

I'm not having a dig here but the American accents do my head in. Especially annoying are the Hollywood tough-guy types like Maul.

FYI the nearest to my local accent is Captain Veloth(?) in Ravenrock.

35 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Oh yes indeedy. I usually play with no sound.

I'm not having a dig here but the American accents do my head in. Especially annoying are the Hollywood tough-guy types like Maul.

FYI the nearest to my local accent is Captain Veloth(?) in Ravenrock.

I meant more the actual script, but some of the voice acting is very poorly cast, like the female "Nord" guard who sounds like a fake Bulgarian accent. So stupid, they could of just dragged anyone off the street of Sweden or Denmark and got them to do it and it would of been much better than these diverse but not Nordic accents. Fallout I had no complaints though, loved the voice acting and script. 

9 minutes ago, RohZima said:

I meant more the actual script,

I know and I agree with you on that too. One of my personal major annoyances is the mis-use of the word 'feral'. It has nothing to do with how fierce or aggressive a creature is - you can have feral sheep.  You cannot have a feral wolf.

16 hours ago, Captain Cobra said:

Immersion is a meaningless buzzword.

Couldn't agree more. Now being "in the zone" i understand (like in the fittingly named Zone game mode ? ), but "Immersion" has always remained meaningless to me.

And since i've seen it used for and against pretty much every feature, the word mostly has comedic value for me :classic_laugh:

People, usually bandits, running around half naked in freezing temperatures. Shitty dialogue options that force me to be a bitch, a complete and utter douchebag or a low IQ brainlet. Not being able to frenzy/reanimate high level enemies when I'm a master illusionist or a necromancer because "muh balance". Shitty, useless, severely underpowered quest rewards and "legendary" items, I can make leather bracers that are ten times more powerful than this junk.

Fortunately all of this can be fixed with mods, and to be honest I don't care that much about immersion. It's just a matter of time before I'll go on a completely naked killing spree, punching bitches back to the fucking stone age.

3 hours ago, Zathuul said:

Girls with dicks, very immersion breaking and just really ruins the mood. I tend to avoid anything that adds dicks to girls, without an option to remove them and go back to normal. I prefer the normal root of genders, I don't like mixing it up cause it ruins my normal gameplay in skyrim. So basically restricting things to make sense and lore wise but also adding difficulty in combat.

Boethia breaks your immersion, then?

Skyrim without mods is bad. Just look at the armors used by the guards. It seems Bethesda didnt do any research on norse culture before making the game. I think they dont even know what a lamellar armor is.

If it wasnt for the modders, this game would have been forgotten a long time ago. Just look at how the peasants are still stuck with Lydia because they cant install mods.

And modding is also part of the fun. I have been having fun making traps in the CK recently, after I found a solution to its constant crashes.

10 hours ago, Zathuul said:

7 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Boethia breaks your immersion, then?

Don't forget about hermaphrodites. Some girls have peepees and that is

i~m~m~u~r~s~i~v~e

Oh and trans chicks. There is also that. Yes there are trans-gendered people even in medieval times so yeah. Reminds me of this old joke used in anime where you don't know if they are a guy or girl until you check under the skirt. Oh anime~

immersive definition: seeming to surround the audience, player, etc. so that they feel completely involved in something.

I see that as a valid point, Big breasted girls make me feel less involved in something/game, but that is just a personal thing, Over use of the save command because Skyrim could crash any moment, breaks my immersion, anything that takes me out of the game removes my feeling completely involved. stops me loosing myself.

Thus breaks immersion.

And yes CTD's and all of the crap dialogue or bugs break or take you out of immersion, you feel less involved, you care less about the fantasy.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:55 PM, Kendo 2 said:

NPC filler dialogue.  "Mages snooping around Sarthal..."  How the fuck would a nobody pissant guard in Solitude know that?  And how the fuck would he know about it 4 hrs after it happened?  But the dialogue in Skyrim and FO4 is Millennial snark trash anyway.  Ever NPC is a psychic smart ass.  Bethesda needs better writers...and a better engine...a better everything.

I see that more as not wanting to convey quests or possible quests in a way that is realistic, or thinking that the majority won't take to hints for quests, and need them shoved in their face. Some quests in Skyrim start only because you heard some conversation, or happened to get a bit of dialog. You never engage the NPC to ask questions about it(, in the case of random dialog), or you don't hear the full details every time. And yet, you still get this info dump of things that you might have little concern about. 

Fallout 4 seems a little better about this, but then it does the same thing occasionally. Sure, you can avoid the Minutemen quests fairly easily. But if you walk near Cambridge? Here, have a new radio signal to listen to, and a quest, which doesn't matter if you actually tune into the station or not - you somehow know something is going on(even way before you hear the gunfire), possibly even that it concerns the Brotherhood, when you likely have no idea who the hell they are(even if the quest text itself questions it too). Oh, and for the Railroad? You can barely hear the spoken conversation, perhaps even missing it entirely, but you get the quest to follow the freedom trail anyway

One of my personal problems with the game overall is, and this spoiler territory, but still. You need one of the mentioned factions to help you build the teleporter. Okay, the idea that it takes the backing this faction has can be sensible. But there are two problems with this, perhaps more. On one hand, even with the support of the chosen faction, you end up building it all yourself anyway. You also have to gather the resources for it as well, even if some locations might have more of what you need than others. Seems the only reason the wanted this is fairly flimsy, as they wanted the spectacle of having the player on the platform, and an NPC working the console. Not that bad, but surely if you had a high intelligence, you could not only build the thing yourself, but also(perhaps with the hacker perk?), set up an automated routine to have it trigger when you step on the platform? Perhaps with an "Are you sure?" message box before you are sent in the Institute. Even if this option would lock you into the Institute ending(as you'd have no prior connection to any of the factions, or since none of them supported you in building the teleporter, they are quite suspect of you afterwards, at least for the Brotherhood and Railroad), that wouldn't bother me.

They could have done similar things with some of the DLC as well. You just get a new frequency to listen to, and it's only when you engage with the content(going to the transit station and fighting the gunners there, entering into Vault 88, fighting the robots attacking Ada's caravan, etc), that you actually get the quests. Rather than just reaching a certain level. Though if the content was still level based, at least when you would be alerted to it, then that works too. You could still travel to the Nuka World Transit station and enter into the terminal to start the quest at any level, for example.

Otherwise, one of my biggest annoyances with Bethesda's games is, that they should stop putting the player in any position of power, if it is meaningless. Meaning, you can't actually do much of anything with that power once you have it. Even the Shivering Isles has this problem - you exist as the sole reason why the realm does, and yet, you are given a flimsy reason as to why YOU, can be arrested for crimes in YOUR plane of Oblivion. Really seems like just a reason to copy the game's existing crime system into the DLC, and not do anything else with it.

The Institute - you get named Director, but here, the only thing you can do, is choose to focus on development of weapons, or new Synths. Oh, and the radio broadcast is not really there to make your intentions clear, it's still furthering the same bullshit the Institute already does. Want to repair relations with the Commonwealth? Want to use the knowledge and technology of the Institute to begin fixing problems, even if this takes years? Nope, you just want to keep with a message that isn't that of the Institute, but Vault-Tec - A better future, underground. 

And of course there are several others. 

12 hours ago, ToJKa said:

Couldn't agree more. Now being "in the zone" i understand (like in the fittingly named Zone game mode ? ), but "Immersion" has always remained meaningless to me.

And since i've seen it used for and against pretty much every feature, the word mostly has comedic value for me :classic_laugh:

So what do you think people are talking about when they say "immersion?" Is it just an arbitrary convention to the games lore or medieval-ism generally? What word should they use? If a new version of lord of the rings came out and in a battle scene someone suddenly drove a ferrari to the battlefield and hopped out and got in a challenger 2 tank and started blasting the sorcerers what would you describe it as? Or would you not notice anything strange?