What is everyone's immersion breaking limit In Fallout or skyrim.

1. Ultra-skimpy armor, especially in cold areas. I like girls in real armor that could actually provide protection and avoid hypothermia—especially if it’s shaped sexy or form-fitting. Plus, it’s all the more fun when I take it off of them.

2. Unrealistic Bodyslide craziness. I love tits. But I love tits that look like tits, not like mutant watermelons sticking out from a girl’s chest. I have a personal preset that goes from an A cup at 0 to some nice DD’s at 100 for maximum diversity of bodies in my NPCs. And I want the shapes to be as realistic as possible.

Never liked huge breast mods myself. Hell i dont even like them in real life either. However my only esception to this was Shaydow's Vampire Lord Overhaul (that changes the transformation) since its looking really sick.

In general i dont use overly sexy outfits ect since you would never see a female running around with a bikini fighting dragons. Its just not my thing.

But i can handle pretty much anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 5:40 PM, Captain Cobra said:

Immersion is a meaningless buzzword.

This because it is so highly subjective. And "trope". 

The more I read forums, the more it seems people call "trope" because they read/seen/played so many books/movies/games. I found many years ago if you go on a reading or movie binge, no matter how different the books or movies, they begin to have common themes. So I don't binge on stuff to over saturation.

Unless it's something really off, it is purely subjective.

• 2 months later...

The thing that breaks my immersion is... the lack of sex mods! Oh, wait that's been fixed.

Jokes aside what doesn't break my immersion is all the crazy sex happening everywhere without rhyme or reason (actually it makes perfect sense in my head).

Massive giant cocks fucking (comparitively) small women always breaks my immersion in Skyrim and elsewhere. I mean giants? Dragons? Poof! Immersion gone. But whatever floats your boat personally ;)

Looking back over Oblivion, Skyrim and the Fallouts, all of which I pyt a ton of hours into... the games aren't particularly great, they are just particularly mod-friendly. I love them nonetheless though, since my experiences of each game are unique to me and I treasure them.

The general lack of sex in games generally is what breaks my immersion generally. Attitudes of game developers toward games mirror their attitudes toward the same subjects in real life.

But not to get too philosophical, I love tits and ass in games and when I can't get it it makes me a bit sad. Breaks my immersion. No game, I don't want to chase down a world-changing quest with a dragon at the end, AGAIN. I want pussy.

Just finished The Last of Us. I have several complaints about stuff that cripple the immersion for me. 1) Enemies that are clearly carrying a gun and seem to have unlimited ammo, yet they drop nothing when down. 2) You can't give any extra ammo/stuff to Ellie, your companion, and just have to leave it. 3) It never occurred to anyone that teaching Ellie to swim could save her life? "We'll get to that some time when shit calms down....", lol. 4) There are fucking good knives in just about every kitchen in the world, yet there are none left? 5) They lost me when a teenage girl can stealth kill 2 dozen (or more) experienced hunters and their leader. It was hard enough to believe Joel could do it.

TES: Zippers, or really any visibly and unmistakably modern material such as denim or latex.  I can tolerate a lot when it comes to styles, but if it doesn't look like it could have been produced by someone, somewhere in that universe without thinking about it too much or looking too closely, it doesn't belong in my game.   I don't care how sexy it is, take your zipper and go fuck yourself.  Additionally, anime.

Fallout: Modern style military equipment.  One of my favorite things about Fallout as a setting is that retro-future look where art deco ran unchecked, the clean 50's aesthetic never meaningfully challenged by 60's counterculture.  That juxtaposition with the dirty, ruined world Fallout is, and how that very juxtaposition plays on the underlying fears that run just beneath that happy 50's aesthetic is a big part of what makes the world so fun to explore.  Modern military hardware just doesn't work against that backdrop.  Additionally, anime.

Mine's mostly things that come across as particularly out of place.  Lore friendly isn't necessary, but I at least want it to be conceivable in the setting.  For instance, modern clothes in a medieval game or magical beasts in a science fiction.  If the setting of the game has been defined clearly, I don't like to cross genres unless there's some justifiable reason for them to be crossed.  There's also things like excessive body proportions, especially huge tits on these skinny little women that spend all their time running across the country and fighting.  Those things are fat, man, few are the women who live like that and have endowments of that level.  I don't need "strictly realistic", I just like it to not be totally ridiculous.  To that end, I don't use a lot of mods that add companions or make big changes to bodies.  A lot of them seem to boil down to gigantic, perpetually parted lips pressed right up to the nose with a massive chin underneath and weirdly large, weirdly shaped tits hanging underneath.  Oh yeah and bikini armor, mostly because it's not armor if it can't protect you.  Seeing battle bikinis in games have high defense ratings... that's some content I'll sit out, thanks.

I also jump on the no anime bandwagon, but not because it's simply anime.  I enjoy anime and anime games within their own contexts, but I struggle with it in other things because it usually brings with it big, exaggerated movements, stupendously impractical weapons, very long names (don't know why but names are a big deal for me, I like things succinct), visually striking colors/styles on the clothing and various other things that come back to that irritation about crossing genres.  In something like Skyrim where just about everything is weathered and ragged looking and for the most part of fairly practical design it just messes with my head.  I just like things to look kind of like they fit in. 

Also I get angry when I see people whose experience with a katana amounts to what movies and anime have told them.  They aren't the ultimate sword, no matter what your favorite shounen has tried to tell you.  Hell, under most circumstances pretty much any other sword is a better choice.  They're very sharp, but sharpness isn't the only thing a sword needs.  The forging process leaves the metal inflexible and brittle and they need to be used in certain ways or you'll break the damn thing.  They're a noble's weapon for killing near-helpless peasants wearing cloth or slashing unprotected necks because you can't risk it clashing with armor.  A game like Skyrim, where half of all enemies are covered in an inch of steel, swing their weapons like chimps with sticks and block by holding the edge of their blade to catch the incoming attack on the thinnest, weakest point of the weapon is not the setting for a sword that difficult to use correctly.  In vanilla Skyrim you'll only see them in the hands of Blades members, who proclaim themselves dragonslayers.  Are the dragons scales made of balsa wood?  If dragon scales and bones makes for armor many times stronger than steel, how is a katana the most effective weapon against the creature made out of those things?

Sorry about the rant against katanas I just hate seeing them portrayed as the greatest melee weapon ever crafted so god damn much.  I know it's not the case for the most pert in Elder Scrolls games, in fact most of them are pretty crappy in that series.  Just kind of wish the drawbacks of those weapons got shown off more in games.

I hope someone reads over this thread and comes back to hit us all with the single most immersion breaking, grating mod of all time that adds all these things we complain about into a game.

What most breaks me out of the experience is how the world often reacts to you, or most often doesn't react to you.

Using Skyrim to demonstrate, an example is NPCs telling you their life stories before you've even introduced yourself. It makes more sense with someone like Nazeem, because he's clearly a prat who wants to boast to everyone he swaggers past, but others... Does Carlotta really complain to every customer who approaches her stall about all the men who make passes at her? Love, I just wanted some fresh cabbage. And Ysolda blurting out her career ambitions to a complete stranger in the street. At least she doesn't use "Did you know I deal drugs?" as an ice-breaker, although I'm kind of surprised to be honest.

Brynjolf is probably the worst. The thieves guild is on its last legs. It's weak, vulnerable. One wrong move could destroy it. Ah, here's a random stranger. I think I'll recruit them to frame some poor bastard and cross my fingers they won't go straight to the guards and report me. (Which you can't do anyway.) You could be completely honest, penniless and wearing beggar clothes, and he will "know" you're a thief who has stolen all the gold you're carrying. It almost feels cruel now to beat the very dead horse that is the thieves guild quest-line, but it really does get picked on for good reason.

And then there's the lone warrior walking the roads, who can watch you single-handedly take down a dragon and absorb its soul one moment, then say "What's a milkdrinker like you doing out here?" the next, and start a fight. (Ironically, winning that fight is sometimes more difficult than killing the dragon.)

To be fair, it must be bloody difficult to have the world react to you in realistic fashion, given how many different ways you can play the game and build your character, and they obviously want to give the player the option of doing as many different quests as possible. And sometimes the effort has been made, although mostly with half-measures. You can get away with crimes by reminding guards you're a thane, for example, and get insulted by supporters of the other side if you've played through the civil war quests. You can also gain entrance to the college by demonstrating a shout instead of a spell, although doing so bypasses just about the only part of the entire mage college quest-line where you need to actually use magic.

The reason I like to play nudists (frost resistance, folks) is the realistic way NPCs react to you - especially with the humorous naked comments mod, but it works with vanilla dialogue too. Ok, it's one of the reasons, but it really is nice to get a reaction that makes sense for a change.

15 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Just finished The Last of Us. I have several complaints about stuff that cripple the immersion for me. 1) Enemies that are clearly carrying a gun and seem to have unlimited ammo, yet they drop nothing when down. 2) You can't give any extra ammo/stuff to Ellie, your companion, and just have to leave it. 3) It never occurred to anyone that teaching Ellie to swim could save her life? "We'll get to that some time when shit calms down....", lol. 4) There are fucking good knives in just about every kitchen in the world, yet there are none left? 5) They lost me when a teenage girl can stealth kill 2 dozen (or more) experienced hunters and their leader. It was hard enough to believe Joel could do it.

If that's bothering you, you must of completely missed the "Naughty Dog Yellow". Almost every time you have to climb over something, move something or place a ladder or plank, there is something yellow colored to guide you to where you need to go. Play through it again, and pay very close attention to it.

1 minute ago, Dallas-Arbiter said:

If that's bothering you, you must of completely missed the "Naughty Dog Yellow". Almost every time you have to climb over something, move something or place a ladder or plank, there is something yellow colored to guide you to where you need to go. Play through it again, and pay very close attention to it.

Missed that I guess. Moving on to play something else now since that game likes to punish you. :classic_smile:

So far as mods are concerned, anything that's just so far out there as to be just, wrong.  Example: Thomas the Tank Engine dragon replacer.  Not even remotely in the realm of possibility for the lore of that fantasy world.

Same goes for some textures/models.  Modern clothing?  Nope.  It just doesn't 'fit' the theme.

11 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Missed that I guess. Moving on to play something else now since that game likes to punish you. :classic_smile:

I didn't notice it either until I watched Troy baker and Nolan North play through it, and they mentioned it. It's right there in front of you, and you just don't see it until someone tells you about it.

It is a punishing game, but that IS the point.

3 hours ago, AKM said:

So far as mods are concerned, anything that's just so far out there as to be just, wrong.  Example: Thomas the Tank Engine dragon replacer.  Not even remotely in the realm of possibility for the lore of that fantasy world.

Same goes for some textures/models.  Modern clothing?  Nope.  It just doesn't 'fit' the theme.

People make that sort of mods because there is no incentive to make something bigger and more akin to the TES lore.

The recent toxic discussion in the nexus showed how bad the situation is: a modder can have his free mod take down in the nexus at any moment, whereas some youtuber can put his free mod in a paid modpack and make a profit in Patreon, while the modder receives nothing in return. He is shot at both sides of the fence. So why bother doing something bigger and immersive? They just go for the modern clothes and retextures.

On 4/14/2020 at 1:36 PM, Inajira said:

Massive giant cocks fucking (comparitively) small women always breaks my immersion in Skyrim and elsewhere. I mean giants? Dragons? Poof! Immersion gone.

willing or not YOU WILL MILK THE DRAGON COCKS!!!

52 minutes ago, Inajira said:

My character would rather not end up as the mother of the lusty argonian maid :P

well i have some good news then: Dragons know a 100% effective form of birth control, it's called "a full body blowjob".....also known as "vore".:naughty:

Well besides CTD, usually anything that stands out way too much in comparison. That's why when I mod the game, I change a lot of things so the NPCs or my Dragonborn doesn't stick out too much to the point it breaks immersion. Like if I get hair or armor mods, I make sure NPCs will all their hair and armor is replaced as well, etc...

• 1 month later...

OK I agree the word immersion is not only overused but more often than not misused. In playing a game like Skyrim for instance I already have to accept the existence of dragons, magic,, elves, orcs and so much more that a few anomalies here and there are negligible. It's more about personal preference as has been pointed out by a few of the posts here, ie. big breasts, skimpy clothes and so on. These are not so much immersion breaking as they are preferences that these people don't care for, which is totally their prerogative. Also someone mentioned that the Nordic lore is somewhat incomplete (which is true) however Skyrim is set on Nirn not Earth, different planet different rules IMHO.

Now with all that being said I will further agree that there are a few things I don't want to see in my game, like firearms, modern clothing or technology and that sort of thing. My personal preferences. As someone else mentioned earlier when I start a play through I have a backstory in mind befitting the character I am creating. Then play accordingly so as a Nord I shy away from most magic yet as a Breton I would be all over it. Yet the things that really take me out of the game are things like missing textures, physics problems (for instance dead bodies ricocheting around a room), a 5 minute load when entering a building and so on. Yes and let's not even get into the crappy writing and vanilla models and textures.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:25 PM, Corsayr said:

Quest markers

I wish I could remove them, but Skyrim was not written well enough to do that. 

There's a mod called "Even Better Quest Objectives" that mitigates that. Instead of say "talk to Shadr", the quest journal might say "tell Shadr, the stablehand who works at Riften Stables, that his debt is cleared". I've been playing without a compass and while it takes some getting used to, it's usually enough because Skyrim's quests are generally pretty straightforward. (Bonus is that it gives me a reason to use Clairvoyance when I'm really stuck.)

It all depends on your suspension of disbelief.  we'd use the term to "allow ourselves" to get immersed but it doesn't just stop there.  You have to keep it up the entire time.  In films every cut they make is a break with reality, just the presence of the camera itself is absurd.  Games are no different but it feels like it should be because we're in control, right?

When you give a game the same credit you do for a film, no mechanic or feature should feel unimmersive.  Even when Thomas the tank engine comes flying down and breathes fire on you you'd say:  "Yeah, that's just what it's about.  Didn't you know skyrim has flying trains?"  But because we take control in the game (and in the mods we choose to install) we feel like we get to choose what does and doesn't belong and that we get to do this for other people too.  Someone's game has every woman with absurdly large breasts? 

"Yeah it's magic *insert lore here* "  Immersion is your own experience with the subject, suspension of disbelief is how willing you are to accept it. 

You could say your suspension of disbelief doesn't stretch that far because it needs to remain as realistic as possible. 

But immersion? Try watching a Buñuel film and tell me honestly you're not immersed.