Skyrim SE for Beginners - V 3.2.6 (3BBB / HDT-SMP / HPH)

8 hours ago, Aylis said:

Bad info for you guys:

Tomorrow i'll end up in the hospital and will be off for a day or two (hopefully it won't be longer than that). What i thought to be a minor problem seems to be much worse and tomorrow morning they have full access to the required equipment for a full diagnosis.

Get better!

15 hours ago, Numa_Cway said:

In theory you can merge about everything that does not function as a master for other mods.

What animations are you talking about? SL stuff that add objects?

I guess that could work. However I'd recommend try flagging them ESL first.

Animations themselves are .hkx files that are not dependant on plugins.

With Racemenu Stuff you can run into the problem of NPC Replacer not finding Hair or Eyes anymore.
Like if you're using KS Hairdos for Bijin NPCs I would not merge away the KS Hairdos.esp.

Yeah, its those: AnimationObjectsESPS.    Mmmh i did not think of making them ESPS, since the process of making marges is surprisingly easy my mind just gravitates towards that, i should just try that instead of making a mess with merges, thanks.

In case anyone is brave enough to start with this guide during the current AE shitstorm:

USSEP (Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch) has been updated to only work with the newest SSE update or AE version of the game.
The dev team refuses to (officially) provide older versions of USSEP compatible with the pre-AE version of SSE.

Spoiler

1920465566_poasdfisda.thumb.png.29379d5fb72604f5547c54a8d88e7f26.png

So for anyone not planning on updating their SSE via Steam anytime soon: Don't delete or overwrite your USSEP.

In case you don't have it: Here's a link to an older version directly from Nexus.

Didn't think the whole "don't delete your mods" fiasco involving Nexus would come in handy...

Edited by Numa_Cway
changed from quote to spoiler

@Aylis I knew it! AE comes out and it breaks Aylis too! Get well soon.

@ascendentkunglao I haven't had any trouble with any of them. I had to rename a few folders to make DAR happy, but that's easily done with MO2 pointing out which ones need to change. I had the same experience with Sexy Idles and got rid of it. It interfered with too many animations. Note that I also tossed SkySA because I absolutely hate it, so my animation setup is probably not a good one to base anything off of.

I bit the bullet and updated--completely. I fully expect this to not work at all, but I think it's valuable to have someone keeping their mods completely up-to-date. This way when it looks like AE is going to work (by some miracle) with the list, we'll know at which point an update is warranted. idgaf also if my existing saves are corrupted.

Edit - Thus far I was able to get the game to launch by disabling .NET Script Framework and SSE Engine Fixes. Here we go ... *deep breath*

SO, the makers of USSEP have already said that they will NOT be supporting old versions of Skyrim. To me, that basically means that an update to AE is 100% unavoidable in the long term. Other posters have brought this up, but I feel like it's necessary to state this because the makers of SSE Engine Fixes have stated they will NOT be supporting AE or updating the mod at all really. So there will have to be a replacement popping up before you can have anything above 60 FPS.

Anyway, loading an older save wasn't possible. Starting a new save worked, but so many error messages popped up that it's unplayable. I think one of the big updates that's going to be needed desperately is--as pretty much always--JContainers. I think in the past the author has been pretty quick in turning it around. But for now I think there's no reason to update if you haven't already, and I'm not going to be testing anything until that mod is updated.

Back to playing Final Fantasy IV, as the Founding Fathers always intended.

Edited by wollboi

@wollboi So you are saying that you now have no functioning Skyrim?? Talk about taking one for the team! You must have really wanted a break!

I have been lightly watching the drama unfold on Reddit. The news re: SSE Engine Fixes was really disheartening yesterday. Obviously there were going to be a few like that. I agree we will have to update eventually. And I don't know what to think about allegations that Steam can randomly update people's game unless you are in offline mode.

If you REALLY want to take one for the team, you could test Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher, and see how easy it is to come back from the edge. J/K!

Just to be clear. Don't update yet unless you really know what you are doing. And it may be a while...

Edited by trgdolors
15 hours ago, trgdolors said:

And I don't know what to think about allegations that Steam can randomly update people's game unless you are in offline mode.

I think, this is from people that did not follow recommendations and are now crying. 

In the Dowload section you should see Skyrim Special Edition in the Unscheduled section with a tag labeled "UPDATE AT LAUNCH"(yes, all caps).   Update at launch from Steam only.  Launching from a Windows shortcut to SKSE Launcher will not trigger the update.  Maybe, some people play with the Steam Controller and need to launch from Steam to enable it for the game, those got the update.  There's a setting to enable Steam Overlay hook and cloud saves, have does those disabled for SkyrimSE, just in case.  

Edited by safado
typo
8 hours ago, wollboi said:

[...]

Thus far I was able to get the game to launch by disabling .NET Script Framework and SSE Engine Fixes. Here we go ... *deep breath*

SO, the makers of USSEP have already said that they will NOT be supporting old versions of Skyrim. To me, that basically means that an update to AE is 100% unavoidable in the long term. Other posters have brought this up, but I feel like it's necessary to state this because the makers of SSE Engine Fixes have stated they will NOT be supporting AE or updating the mod at all really. So there will have to be a replacement popping up before you can have anything above 60 FPS.

[...]

Engine Fixes not updating is gutwrenching. USSEP policy of not supporting older versions was powned by Nexus however. Remember Nexus no longer allows the complete deletion of anything for its collections. People are already sharing the direct download link for USSEP 1.5.97 version.

edit: In addition I have seen reports of huge script performance improvements. To the point that too fast running scripts cause crashes ?

Edited by alaunus01
dementia
2 hours ago, noctred said:

FYI I ended up in a position where I had to use that and it downgraded my installation successfully. Works as advertised.

Good, then people who didn't listen, or didn't pay attention can get the older skyrim (maybe even just buying it?)

@trgdolors I get as much enjoyment from playing the game as I do from trying to scout out new mods and make sure updates work with the list. I'm a systems administrator by trade, so it's the kinda shit that I like to play around with. I have a hundred other games I should play anyway, and I think it's helpful to have someone that just goes ahead and bites the bullet. I've looked at that mod, but I don't think I'll be touching it.

@noctred That's very good to know.

@asebw As a whole, it's not going to work until JContainers is updated. It breaks SOS and probably other sex mods (some that were on the list but now aren't). My recommendation is to just wait to update.

Incidentally, the author of JContainers said that they are going to let the AE SKSE be around a bit before updating JContainers, so that seems like it may be a while. Keep the old version of the game.

Fuck, I haven't even began to look at LL mods.

---

Friendly reminder about Creation Club stuff. God Howard, in his infinite wisdom and benevolence, dumped about six pieces of CC content on us for free. About half of these get added to your Overwrite folder in MO2. These will go away the next time you clear the Overwrite. If you want to keep them (and, hell, why not keep them?) the best thing to do is to create an empty mod (wrench icon menu), drag the .bsa and .esl files for that specific mod from your Overwrite to the empty mod, and send the new mod to the Creation Club section of the list. Some of these require this, some don't. In case you haven't updated, here's a breakdown:

Nothing needed, just drag these to the CC section:

* Fishing - idgaf really

* Survival Mode - I may play around with this, but knowing me it'll only be for a few hours before I remember why I hate these mods.

* Curios - No idea.

* Saints & Seducers - I wasn't even sure what this was, as it's listed in MO2 as "ccBGSSSE025-AdvDSGS". I've heard it's good, but I dunno.

Put in an empty mod, then drag to CC section:

* Exotic Arrows - I dunno wtf these do and am sure I'll never use them, but they're free.

* Spell Pack - Same.

* Nord Jewelry - I bought this one but never used it. The jewelry is ridiculously expensive and Radiant Raiment will never get my money (although watching Taarie and Endarie unexpectedly have lesbian incest sex was kinda--nevermind, moving right along). I bought it, deleted it, and now it's back for free. Meh.

* Spell Knight Armor - Okay THIS is a good one. It's the only one I've bought that I really like. The armor looks fantastic, so much so that I used it for the majority (and up to the end) of my third complete run of this goofy game. It looks great, and there's a dumb little quest that goes along with it.

---

Sorry, this is a long post. Just wanted to throw it that I personally don't think the $20 DLC is worth it. Some of the new armor looks great, yes, and some of the player homes seem really great. I'm not sure at all about the additional dungeons, but I assume they're probably a mixed bag. BUT I think you could easily just save your $20 and buy the ones you care about individually if you are like me and only really think you'd ever use one or two. I've only ever purchased CC content in the past if it looks like it would be good with a specific build I want to run with (such as the Spell Knight armor, and that one's free now anyway). Just my opinion.

Solution: Got some time to mess around with it, problem was pretty simple. At some point I ended up with a fps limit raised to 80, anything over 60 breaks Movement Behavior Overhaul

(Also found an unrelated issue where Smooth Casting didn't install all files, redownloaded and worked)

Hi, so I'm pretty new to the DAR mods from this guide(never used them before) and I am getting an issue where when I begin sprinting there is a very brief, about a frame or so, of my PC tposing as it transitions into the sprint animation and the same when sprinting ends. The PC also occasionally tposes when doing regular run animations, typically after changing direction.

I plan on going back through all the Physics and Animations mods to try and narrow it down, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for yet and searching for tpose issues obviously comes up with a lot of seemingly unrelated issues. So I thought I'd ask if anyone knows the issue.

I've only made it up to the Overrides portion of the guide so far, but I do have a few SL mods already installed as I wanted to try and test some compatibility with that as I went, the mods are all following the structure of the guide tho(loaded after overrides).

FNIS and Nemesis run according to post #3

I have not yet run any of the LOD utilities and I don't have ENB installed yet

All these mods were downloaded pre-AE and I haven't updated, so shouldn't be related to that

Edit: Forgot to mention this is on a new save

Thanks anyone who knows and thank you Aylis for the guide

Spoiler

FNIS.png

Spoiler

Nemesis.png

Edited by twilnon
1 hour ago, wollboi said:

Friendly reminder about Creation Club stuff. God Howard, in his infinite wisdom and benevolence, dumped about six pieces of CC content on us for free. About half of these get added to your Overwrite folder in MO2. These will go away the next time you clear the Overwrite. If you want to keep them (and, hell, why not keep them?) the best thing to do is to create an empty mod (wrench icon menu), drag the .bsa and .esl files for that specific mod from your Overwrite to the empty mod, and send the new mod to the Creation Club section of the list. Some of these require this, some don't. In case you haven't updated, here's a breakdown:

Nothing needed, just drag these to the CC section:

* Fishing - idgaf really

* Survival Mode - I may play around with this, but knowing me it'll only be for a few hours before I remember why I hate these mods.

* Curios - No idea.

* Saints & Seducers - I wasn't even sure what this was, as it's listed in MO2 as "ccBGSSSE025-AdvDSGS". I've heard it's good, but I dunno.

Put in an empty mod, then drag to CC section:

* Exotic Arrows - I dunno wtf these do and am sure I'll never use them, but they're free.

* Spell Pack - Same.

* Nord Jewelry - I bought this one but never used it. The jewelry is ridiculously expensive and Radiant Raiment will never get my money (although watching Taarie and Endarie unexpectedly have lesbian incest sex was kinda--nevermind, moving right along). I bought it, deleted it, and now it's back for free. Meh.

* Spell Knight Armor - Okay THIS is a good one. It's the only one I've bought that I really like. The armor looks fantastic, so much so that I used it for the majority (and up to the end) of my third complete run of this goofy game. It looks great, and there's a dumb little quest that goes along with it.

Actually, I ran into the same thing with FO4 at one point, and the fix is easier than that. 

The only reason why CC content ends up in Overwrite is because it gets downloaded while running the game in MO2. All you need to do is copy and paste the files into Skyrim SE's data folder with the rest of the CC content. It should go into the data folder regardless, just ends up in overwrite for some strange reason when MO2 is involved.

As for the 20$ AE update, it does at the very least give you all the CC content currently available. Whether you will use it all or not is debatable, but it's a lot cheaper than getting them individually. Gonna try some of the new stuff myself shortly, see what's worth keeping and what isn't.

Edited by asebw

Ok so, does anyone know why Wyre Bash deactivates some of my ESP for no particular reason (im well below ESP limit) 

like each time i run it Ordinator directional perks for Skysa and AMR  ESP gets Deactivated, ISC Enhanced Blood  patch ,  ISC morrowloot ultimate  Simplified patch, Water For Enb ... and even 1 merged ESP i made with a bunch of basic followers, why is this? i would expect it from my custom merge because mod stuff but, water for ENB out of all? wtf

Spoiler

image.png.3c535351b89f771a705b339adedeb891.png   image.png.fd883c8369e5cee34fdd1ebafb070265.png

once again, im below the ESP limit and as you can see those mods are from the guide and totally ok (besides Approach but its a minor mod that affects nothing in the guide)

I merged even more after i posted this.. deactivated optional mods and personal aditions yet the message keeps showing.  Any ideas? Google does not help me on this one

Update:  I just noticed that If I disable my merged mods and run it normal (which is a higher number compared to merged) Wrye Bash/Smash does not complain anymore...    wtf

Some people on google say that its relatively ok to ignore this as it can be Ghosting issue (something about Wyre checking paths?) but im not so confident on this, could you guys confirm?

Ok after some digging Wyre seems to get annoyed when you load X amount of mods regardless of the actual ESP limit (not exaclt but thats the gist of it) most people recomend to just ignore the message and take note of the mods getting the L, run the Bashed patch as normal, then once its done activate the mods Plugings that got turned off.

Bro i just want to play skyrim smh

Edited by Alkzis

@Numa_Cway Im sorry for bothering you again but do you know if flagging ESPs as ESL affects anythign regarding patches? for what i understand they should not be affected and no where i read theres a warning about it (gopher tutorials and Gamer poets especially would warn about something like that)    but i would like to confirm rather than doing a fuck up

TDLR: what can and cant be flagged as ESL, theres any danger on doing so? if the plugin is a master and i flag it as ESL the patches/dependent plugins will still recognize it normally?

(yes, i googled all of this but all i can find is obscure forum stuff from 2016, some badly explain videos and stuff like that, besides GamerPoets no one seems to have an actual what to and not to do... so i ask you)

Edited by Alkzis

Finally got my custom computer late 11/12/2021 and spent all day yesterday setting up, loading updates, and downloading necessary software; plus Skyrim SE.  I still have some hardware optimizations to implement but want to see what a game load does first. Since I plan on following this tutorial and appreciate all the effort, I joined the patreon to support some more coffee.

Before I start modding, I'm wondering if there is a recommended down grade before I go down a rabbit hole.

1) Are there are any effects the "Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher" (Nexus) has on the mod list and ENB?

2) Would it be better to down load the last version from the Steam console?

3) Recover Skyrim SE files from old crashed potato HD and overwrite EXE and DLL.

Option 1 would be easiest.

Edited by remodel
4 hours ago, Alkzis said:

@Numa_Cway Im sorry for bothering you again but do you know if flagging ESPs as ESL affects anythign regarding patches? for what i understand they should not be affected and no where i read theres a warning about it (gopher tutorials and Gamer poets especially would warn about something like that)    but i would like to confirm rather than doing a fuck up

TDLR: what can and cant be flagged as ESL, theres any danger on doing so? if the plugin is a master and i flag it as ESL the patches/dependent plugins will still recognize it normally?

(yes, i googled all of this but all i can find is obscure forum stuff from 2016, some badly explain videos and stuff like that, besides GamerPoets no one seems to have an actual what to and not to do... so i ask you)

esl flagged esps are essentially esls without actually changing the esp into an esl. Won't go into what they are, you can find that out online easily enough, but as to what can or can't be made into an esl, there's a script in SSE edit that will check your plugins to show you what can be flagged as an ESL, or turned into an ESL. 

No idea what you mean by affecting patches though. Basically, ESLs are loaded into a different portion of memory separate from the memory used by esps and esms (which is why they don't count towards the 255 limit). You're going to have to be a little more specific about the patches thing.

9 hours ago, Alkzis said:

As long as you don't have to compact the FormIDs you can flag basically anything as ESL.
You could even flag ESMs as ESL however that doesn't make sense.

xEdit has a script that tells you which Plugins can be flagged.
Load your modlist into xEdit, rightclick on any mod and select "Apply script". Choose "Find ESP plugins which can be turned into ESL" and run the script.

There will be two kind of messages:

Can be turned into ESL. Flag those)

Can be turned into ESL after compacting the FormIDs. Ignore those.

Here's a guide.

@Alkzis Here is a wall of words tutorial re: ESL flagging with some practical info for users. Feel free to help me correct it:

Spoiler

Intro:

The usual recommendation on ESL flagging is to look at this: Ruddy88 ESLify. I think most of us have read that at some point. Pretty good. Also there is How to convert ESPs into ESLs using xEdit - SSE. There have been several posts in this thread over time on the subject, so searching is a good idea. As this thread is somewhat for beginners (really Beginner Plus as some have suggested), here's some practical info and thoughts. Anyone PLEASE chip in to correct or improve the following info. Also, to state the obvious, there is some really good info on the first page that Aylis put there. ESL flagging is perhaps a late beginner/ early intermediate skill.

Finding Your Current Number towards the Limit:

In MO2, hover over right hand side top right "Active:". Look at "ESMs+ESPs". That number has to be 254 or less. Remember, if you will be using DynDOLOD (one of the last things you do for a new game), it will take a few extra slots. You will also want to save several slots for future mods and just to have a little headroom. A cool trick is to look in MO2, right hand side, Plugins tab, look at the Mod Index column (you can even sort by that column if you want). Mods that begin with FE: are either ESLs or flagged as ESL and take no ESP/ESM slot!

SSEEdit:

As of this writing there is a recent update to SSEEdit (v. 4.0.4). It is also known as xEdit. Make sure SSEedit is installed and configured right. Just Don'ts awesome PDF (v1.1.3) Mod Organizer 2 & Other tools has great info on installing/configuring stuff like this. Its fairly easy, even fun (we all remember our first time!), to ESL things once you understand, though you can wreck stuff fast. Read those guides and follow their instructions for setting up and running SSEEdit. There is some stuff I am not including here.

Flagging ESPs as ESL:

Open SSEEdit following the mentioned guides. On the left side, right click on any mod and choose "Apply Script". Then choose "Find ESP plugins which could be turned into ESL". Click OK and let it do it's thing. When finished, go to the bottom left side and in that search bar, type "[fe" (without the quotes) to narrow down candidates for flagging. On the right side look for ESPs that "Can be turned into ESL by adding ESL flag in TES4 header". Do NOT flag ESPs that say "Can be turned into ESL by compacting FormIDs first, then adding ESL flag in TES4 header". A few of these may be OK, but there are complications. Only do it when you really understand this stuff. A reality with Skyrim is that some problems are not obvious at first, but could slowly ruin your save over time.

When you find an ESP you want to flag as ESL, select it on the left, then click the bottom middle tab "View". On the right side panel, right click the blank space to the right of "Record Flags". Click Edit. "Yes, I'm absolutely sure". Tick ESL box. Click OK. When done with your choices, exit out the program.

Overwrite:

There may be files in your overwrite when you finish. They can be made into a new mod, but I configured MO2 to automatically "Create files in mod instead of overwrite" so they go into a custom named "mod". Easy and recommended! Again, Just Don'ts guide (linked above) has info for this configuration.

What Can be ESLed and When:

There are a few ESPs that conventional wisdom says don't flag. SkyUI, Racemenu ESPs, maybe Save The Icerunner, maybe some others. You really should flag an ESP BEFORE it gets built into your saves. Sometimes you can install a mod, run it quick to see if you like it, then exit and ESL it before saving the game. But I usually see if I can ESL it first before running the game as that factors into how much I want to keep it.

Details:

Technically we are not converting the ESPs to ESLs. We are just flagging them as ESLs. This makes them into ESP-FEs, though most of us keep calling them ESLs. It can get confusing when looking or discussing things on LL or Nexus. Search terms can include esl, espfe, esp-fe, esp_fe, etc. One potential bad thing about real ESLs is that MO2 wants to load them first in the load order like ESMs. An ESP flagged as ESL also doesn't count towards the limit, but has the flexible advantage that it can be moved around in the load order.

Most newer mods for Skyrim SE that are small now come pre-ESLed. Bigger mods, and some smaller ones, can't be ESLed. Some types of mods are more likely to be already ESLed (like newer follower mods). It often takes searching in comments sections to find out if a mod is (or can be) ESLed as mod authors (MA) for some reason don't always state it. Otherwise, just briefly install the mod in question and find out yourself. Also, sometimes a MA will convert a mod that is already released to ESL-FE. Be careful! If you already have that mod in a save you will need to start a whole new play-through to use the ESLed version (or go back to an earlier save from before the initial installation).

Edit 2: If you are starting a new play-through, there are replacer mods that load after a mod you may already have, and they convert it to ESL flagged. Search "ESL" on Nexus for examples. Only do this on a new play-through/save or an ESP you have just installed and not "saved" yet. Use at your own risk. If your original mod gets an update, there may be issues if the replacer does not also get an update.

Edit: I see Numa_Cway also linked to a guide.

Edited by trgdolors
1 hour ago, Numa_Cway said:

As long as you don't have to compact the FormIDs you can flag basically anything as ESL.
You could even flag ESMs as ESL however that doesn't make sense.

xEdit has a script that tells you which Plugins can be flagged.
Load your modlist into xEdit, rightclick on any mod and select "Apply script". Choose "Find ESP plugins which can be turned into ESL" and run the script.

There will be two kind of messages:

Can be turned into ESL. Flag those)

Can be turned into ESL after compacting the FormIDs. Ignore those.

Here's a guide.

With patches I think he means something along the lines of:

-will the game still find the master of a given mod for another mod if it's turned into a Esp flagged esl? 

Like for example Sofía replacers, if i where to turn the main mod into an esl, would the replacer mod still find what it needs from the main mod? 

Im not totally sure if he meant that but I'm also doing my own thing to trim my plugin list. 

Besides the ssedit script.. just have to figure out what mod can be esl flagged? (one thing is to can, another is to work it out fine) 

Also, I get that esl on race menu stuff is a no no, but what if I merge those mods? Let's say tattoos overlays

Edited by Jessica_Degurechaff
14 hours ago, Alkzis said:

OH, ESM COUNT TOO!? i thought they did not count towards the limit!

oh man, thanks for this, saved me a lot of trouble

The number under Type: ESMs+ESPs is the number you're looking for. The limit in this case is 254 because the FE slot is used by ESL plugins