(v1.4.3) Mod Organizer 2 & Other tools - From zero to "Hey Sexlab is working!"

If you need assistance in any step of the guide feel free to post it here and I'll try to clarify any doubt or issue you might encounter. To make things easier for everyone please try to be as detailed as possible:

• Include the step in which you have problems.
  • Describe the issue in detail. And if you've attempted to fix it on your own include that information too.
  • Include any error message or warning from any of the tools in use (providing the exact message text or a screenshot works).
  • Read carefully, more than once if you need to. Check the associate screenshots and use them as reference. If any instruction needs clarification/rewording ask about it.
Edited by Just Don't
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, thank you so much for your guide, I've been having all kinds of trouble getting mods to work in Skyrim. I'm at the first step, and I have a quick question: my steam games folder is installed under Program Files (x86), is that ok? You said Program Files, but you didn't mention if that included Program Files (x86), I'm sorry if you meant both and I'm just showing my ignorance here :(

4 hours ago, SlightlyDisappointingHat said:

Hi, thank you so much for your guide, I've been having all kinds of trouble getting mods to work in Skyrim. I'm at the first step, and I have a quick question: my steam games folder is installed under Program Files (x86), is that ok? You said Program Files, but you didn't mention if that included Program Files (x86), I'm sorry if you meant both and I'm just showing my ignorance here :(

Applies to both (I'll edit it to clarify this). If you need to re-download the game (to get a clean copy of the game) you can change the install path for Skyrim SE, that should be enough to avoid OS restrictions. Alternatively you can disable UAC (there is a link to an article about doing it) which doesn't take much time and should avoid OS interference too.

Edit: it's already stated that it refers to "Program Files" and "Program Files(x86)", read carefully (but you helped me spot a little typo, so that "read carefully" also applies to me).

"There is good guide about how to use the “Quick Auto Clean” + some manual clean here. Follow Step 8.2 to 8.3.1 (if you want to keep your cleaned .esm files in MO, place your “Official Master Files – Cleaned” just below “DLC: Dawnguard” in your left panel, as we’re not using the separators from that guide)."
I just wanted to let you know that the link is broken. It's at the bottom of step 9. Is there any alternative tutorials on how to use it that you could point me to? Thanks! :) 

34 minutes ago, SlightlyDisappointingHat said:

"There is good guide about how to use the “Quick Auto Clean” + some manual clean here. Follow Step 8.2 to 8.3.1 (if you want to keep your cleaned .esm files in MO, place your “Official Master Files – Cleaned” just below “DLC: Dawnguard” in your left panel, as we’re not using the separators from that guide)."
I just wanted to let you know that the link is broken. It's at the bottom of step 9. Is there any alternative tutorials on how to use it that you could point me to? Thanks! :) 

Oh I see that guide was updated and the URL changed. Here, I've also updated the link in the main post. Thanks for letting me know.

The only reason I didn't included this part with my own steps and screenshots it's because there are good resources about using xEdit already availables. Plus The Phoenix Flavour guide is quite good, even for starters... I'll add it to the bottom of my main post as another recommended source of information.

10 hours ago, DrakeSkoll56 said:

Hello,

So i followed you guide to the T and Skyrim will load but Immediately crashes on the main title screen. Freezes up then crashes. any idea as to why?

My first guess would be installing the wrong version of any of the mods which contains a dll. But let's trace the steps.

1. Check your Skyrim SE and SKSE version, do these match as described in step 04?
  2. Did you installed ENB? Check that all the files are properly placed (dlls and enblocal.ini from the ENBseries website, enbseries folder and enbseries.ini from any recently updated preset in the Skyrim SE Nexus). If you're not sure, remove all these files for the time being and try to start the game.
  3. Run LOOT and sort your loadorder, also check for any warnings.
  4. If you've confirmed your SKSE install is correct, disable (☐ in the left panel) every mod except the SKSE Scripts and SKSE INI pre-download. Try to start the game.
    1. If your game crash you didn't install the SKSE scripts properly, or you have other files in your Skyrim SE. Re-do the steps to install the SKSE Scripts, removing the ones you already have installed. If you're unsure about having other files in your Skyrim SE it could be worth the try uninstalling and downloading the game again (but this shouldn't be needed as your game should be already clean and freshly downloaded...).
    2. If your game doesn't crash, exit the game and start enabling (in the left panel) mods from top to bottom. Use LOOT if the mods you enable have an esp/esm/esl file. During this process you'll skip using FNIS, so you'll likely get the T-pose bug, but it shouldn't matter for the purposes of the test.
      1. Enable the top half of your mods, check if MO gives you any warning (warnings at this point would tell you about a missing master, a mod that's required for one of the enabled mods is missing, you'll need to a) disable the mod with missing master or b) enable the mod stated as missing master).
      2. Once you're sure you've enabled nearly half the installed mods and you don't see any warnings about missing masters, try to start the game.
        1. If you CTD, the culprit is among the mods you've just enabled, go back to MO and disable half of the enabled mods (again, leaving the mods near the top enabled). Check for warnings about missing masters and once you don't see any warning, try to launch the game.
        2. If you don't CTD, exit the game and enable half of the disabled mods. Check for warnings, try to launch the game.
      3. Either by enabling or disabling mods this way, you'll be able to tell which mod in particular is causing troubles (it would be either the last mod you enabled and causes CTD or the last mod you disabled and causes the game to stop crashing). When you find that mod, remove it an reinstall it. Pay attention to the install process.

Try it. The enable/disable process may seem long and boring, but the default setup should have between 20-30 installed mods (in the left panel), so you start with let's say 15 enabled mods, you crash so you disable mods until you have 8, you crash, so disable until you have 4, you don't crash, so the culprit is between the last 4 disabled mods. Try enabling 2, or 1 by 1 until you find the mod in particular (well I hope it's only one, but it can totally be more than one...). This discard process will help you if your issue is a bad mod install.

2 hours ago, Xamdir said:

My question is whether or not Yiffy Age Of Skyrim can be installed on this kit. Need to install somewhere else in the kit?

You can install whatever you want after you've completed all the sections, specially the first in game test, successfully. You'll have to follow that mod's instructions, checking if there are other mods required, installing and placing that mod in the modlist according to the information you find (if there is no clear instruction about where to place it, I'd leave it near the bottom of the left panel with other LL mods, as stated in step 11, but I'd check for conflicts as always and place it accordingly).

The purpose of this was to make a set of mods and instructions to start from a clean Skyrim SE and end up with a modded Skyrim SE with Sexlab framework working. What you do after that it's up to you.

3 hours ago, Xamdir said:

For Part 01.2 Part 4: On my PC, Windows 10 is installed on a 128Gb ssd, all other (including steam) on a standard 1Tb drive. Is that right?

Totally fine. Even the recommendation to keep Skyrim SE and your mods (with MO and everything else) is just that, a recommendation. This is just to keep things simple and reduce chances for user error.

26 minutes ago, Xamdir said:

I got to 8.4 but can't find vanillia clothes. I reinstalled CBBE to be sure of the vanilla dress but bodyslide can't see it.

I can't choose. What to do ?

If you enabled the optional vanilla outfits you should see them when you press the magnifier and select groups.

01.png.026c166eaeb208cc8006ca29fa354bb2.png

Then if you go to the Outfit/Body you'll see all the outfit sets in the list.

02.png.67855c603462aac567e05fc2f9412977.png

You can check if you actually have the BodySlide files for vanilla outfits from the CBBE install if you go to 

• \Mod Organizer 2\mods\Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Enhancer\CalienteTools\BodySlide\SliderGroups

You should have several xml files, with names like CBBE, CBBE Vanilla, CBBE Vanilla Physics and so on. If you go to 

• Mod Organizer 2\mods\Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Enhancer\CalienteTools\BodySlide\ShapeData

You'll see folders with the different body parts (Amulets, Body, Feet, etc.) from each group.

If you don't have these files your CBBE install was not completed correctly (I can't think of any reason for this, other than user error). So double check the install and see if you can find the outfits.

27 minutes ago, Xamdir said:

Don't need the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch before I launch it?

Special Edition, don't mix these (legendary is not for Skyrim SE). And yes, for normal gameplay I'd recommend it + a bunch of other mods. But the scope of the guide (specially the mod list used) is just to complete the first in game test. You can add as many mods as you want after you do the test successfully and know how to manage Mod Organizer.

33 minutes ago, Xamdir said:

in the description the purified esm. files must be copied directly, but MO data cannot be copied from here.

You can copy these esm files from "Skyrim Special Edition\Data" to "\Mod Organizer 2\mods\Oficial Master Files - Cleaned" manually (using Windows explorer, not the MO interface).

Or, as you've already placed these esm files in the Overwrite you can open the Overwrite window (double click) and drag these esm files to the "Oficial Master Files - Cleaned" mod in the left panel (as shown in step 11.1 with the fuz ro doh files, just moving the esm to the oficial master... mod instead).

Both ways you should have the esm files in its own mods (suggested name "Oficial Master Files - Cleaned") and your Overwrite should be empty.

7 hours ago, Xamdir said:

10. I started the game. Errors: The last three elements of sexlab are missing or two are temporarily released, but the FNIS creature pack was missing all along.

Did you installed the Creature pack from the FNIS download page? if not, you won't have the creature stuff in Sexlab. The "Idles" check usually are detected after you exit the cell and start playing for real.

7 hours ago, Xamdir said:

I couldn't exit, the exit icon is missing.

What exit do you mean?

If the animations work you should be good to go, other than the creature pack that may be missing (you didn't installed or the install isn't correct), if you can initiate animations between NPCs you are good to go. Add mods you want to enhance your game and enjoy (don't forget to read every mod description, check for requirements, use LOOT to sort your loadorder, FNIS to handle your animations and BodySlide to build your body/outfits meshes).

I solved the previous problems in FNIS okay. The exit was not missing, I just didn't pull down the menu enough.

Overwriting: I think these files (backup, refcache, FNIS generated, etc.) are the original, unedited versions of the mods and the basic game

can be found in already built-in files. You will only need these if you want to bring back the original, non-patched version. In other forums, it is recommended to separate it into a mod

save these. For "ini ,, files, dragging the mod as you wrote will replace the patched version with the original. So if you restart the application that put" ini ,,

file reappears and again , and again ......
Is it ok like this ?

On 2/9/2020 at 3:06 PM, Xamdir said:

Overwriting: I think these files (backup, refcache, FNIS generated, etc.) are the original, unedited versions of the mods and the basic game

can be found in already built-in files. You will only need these if you want to bring back the original, non-patched version. In other forums, it is recommended to separate it into a mod

save these. For "ini ,, files, dragging the mod as you wrote will replace the patched version with the original. So if you restart the application that put" ini ,,

file reappears and again , and again ......
Is it ok like this ?

Do you mean moving the files in Overwrite to its own mod instead of placing them in each mod's folder? You can do that, it's just another way to keep the files in MO but outside of the Overwrite. But it's not true that if you move them to the mod's folder will replace the original one and new files will reappear again and again. How it works is as follows:

1. Mods that generate files after its first launch (like Fuz Ro D'oh with its ini, log files from different mods, json files from mods like Soulgem Oven or Sexlab Framework, etc.) do so because the generated file doesn't exist in the original install.
  2. After your first play session the file will be generated with default settings, if you modify that file while playing, these changes will be kept in the file you get in Overwrite.
  3. As long as that file exist anywhere in a place MO can access, new files won't be generated.
    1. You can keep them in Overwrite, but as you may know by now, it would mean you'll have to be careful to not mix ini/log/json files with the generated files from other tools like FNIS, BodySlide or xEdit. This is the main reason I recommend keeping Overwrite empty at all times, so when you have files there it's easier to know where do they come from and where to place them.
    2. You can keep these files in a separate mod and put it near the bottom of your left panel.
    3. You can keep these files in the same folder as the original mod folder. The only way to lost these files is if you re-install a mod and chose to replace the old install instead of merge.

So I can see as someone who doesn't want to worry about losing these files when updating their mods may want to keep these files into a separate mod. But tbh I haven't find such scenario to happen very often. I'll edit this part, adding an optional step to offer this option.

Edit: added as step 11.1A and 11.1B.

• 4 weeks later...

02. BethINI (download link)

Hide contents

This tool provides an easy and quick way to get a basic and  functional set of .ini files (skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini). If you know how to edit and create your own .ini files, this tool may not be for you. But assuming this is the basics about how to mod Skyrim, it’s ideal to include it here for the newcomers. You should run this tool only once, after a clean install of Skyrim SE.

Note: Your antivirus software may wrongly detect this executable as a threat. To be able to use it, you can exclude this file from AV scans, or if you've previously excluded your working folder from your antivirus, extract BethINI there temporarily to use it.

02.1 Download and usage of BethINI

1. Download “BethINI Standalone Version”. Extract it and open the folder called “BethINI Standalone”, inside that folder you'll find the executable BethINI.exe.
  2. Upon launching BethINI.exe for the first time it will ask you to select a game, pick Skyrim SE from the list.
  3. In the next window make sure “BethINI Presets” is enabled instead of “Vanilla Presets”.
  4. Press one of the Presets available (pick based on your system specifications).
  5. Enable “Recommended Tweaks”.
  6. Check that your resolution is right.
  7. You can go into the other tabs to check the settings there.
    • Recommended: go to "General" tab, uncheck "Intro Logos" and disable tutorials.
  8. Once you're done changing the settings press "Save and Exit".

2098006353_bethini01.png.3ed9dbc6a6359273b5cda7c002d3f5ef.png

02.2 Locating the ini files generated after using BethINI

BethINI will generate the .ini files in your …\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition folder. After that, the program will close and you’re done using BethINI. If you go to ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition you'll see there are other files (a backup folder and backups of the original .ini files made by the Skyrim Launcher). You can delete these really, just keep the skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini. You can also delete the “BethINI Standalone” folder and the downloaded file now.

My past experiences of modding skyrim se have been able to somewhat run better but after deciding to go through this guide fully, this step has caused me screen tearing and i wish to try and revers this step. i used this guide before to try and get stuff to work, its had a 50-60% success rate, so i figured "oh it must be because of that step i dident see at first, might as well do it now." but now my game has some pretty bad screen tearing and i have NO idea on how to fix it, mostly i turned on Vsync to try and help, it dosent help, tried a few guides on line, dident work... i dident know modding a game could literally be the equivalent of waling through hell.

43 minutes ago, Tugstone said:

My past experiences of modding skyrim se have been able to somewhat run better but after deciding to go through this guide fully, this step has caused me screen tearing and i wish to try and revers this step. i used this guide before to try and get stuff to work, its had a 50-60% success rate, so i figured "oh it must be because of that step i dident see at first, might as well do it now." but now my game has some pretty bad screen tearing and i have NO idea on how to fix it, mostly i turned on Vsync to try and help, it dosent help, tried a few guides on line, dident work... i dident know modding a game could literally be the equivalent of waling through hell.

If you want to undo whatever change BethINI did all you need to do is

• delete the skyim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini in your "\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition" (you can also delete the bethini backup folder and the bethini backups of these two ini files too).
  • delete the skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini in your "\Mod Organizer 2\profiles\Default" (don't delete any other ini or txt files in there).
  • Use the SkyrimSE Launcher again, this will generate a new set of ini files untouched by BethINI (I think just launching the game does this too, but better be on the safe side). MO will create its own set of new ini files too.

That's all you need. BethINI doesn't do anything other than provide you with a preset for these two ini files.

If you are experiencing tearing your BethINI settings must have contained the VSync setting disabled. All you have to do is go to skyrimprefs.ini and look for this line

[Display]

iVSyncPresentInterval=0

And change it to "=1". That will enable the game vsync. Note that your GPU driver might overwrite that setting (default behavior is let each application handle it, so this would mean you or other software changed it intentionally). So if you keep getting tearing after enabling iVSync in skyrimprefs.ini you should check your GPU's control panel and see if you have any custom setting for Skyrim or 3D applications in general.

If you have any other doubt or you're experiencing issues feel free to ask about it. A 50%-60% success is not the aim of my guide. I myself have used the steps indicated in this guide at least 2 times to perform a full reinstall (even in different computers) and haven't find any issues. But perhaps I'm doing something that I didn't wrote in the guide, thus the feedback from others is crucial.