Gaming Gripes (Keep It Civil)

Ernest Lemmingway

If they wanted to be 'more realistic/respectful' with the female character designs in Mortal Kombat 11, they could have just abandoned the dress code approach to character design and just given each female character a unique costume which speaks to her specific personality, profession, fighting style, et cetera. Just look at the Street Fighter series for an example for what they could have done.

Makoto can co-exist with Rainbow Mika and Rose fits in as much as Menat despite their default outfits being as different from each other as can be and the characters' levels of sex appeal or sexuality varies wildly.

1 hour ago, Mr. Trigun said:
Spoiler

LULZ?

If this trend continues, I'm going to have a hard time not laughing at the fanbois and the developer. Initial sales long-term success. Especially when a game is dependent on microtransactions for initial and/or continued profitability.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:16 PM, Mr. Trigun said:

LULZ?

Just be careful you don't fall into confirmation bias there, guys. For example Soul Calibur 6's physical sales in the UK plummeted compared to the previous entries, yet it still did well overall. To the point that's it still goes for full price on Steam all these months later. Also the article in that video mentions MK11 is outperforming Injustice 2, which is expected but not exactly signs of a flop.

Most likely MK11 will underperform MKX, when adjusted for its being launched on an extra platform (the Switch). Wokeness and shameless microtransactions have a habit of costing customers while not bringing in any tangible amount of new customers to replace them. But don't set yourself up for disappointment just presuming this is a sign the game was a failure. The devs and fanboys will be all too happy to rub it in your face if your wrong.

Also, while I'm a fan of Geeks-and-Gamers they have been getting a bit tabloid recently. While I have no love for Brie Larson (having just seen Endgame didn't help those feelings) that channel is a bit obsessed with her. All the woman has to do is fart in public and they'll have a video posted over-analyzing how her butt wind is going to destroy her career and means the rest of the Avengers cast secretly hate her. So keep the grains of salt on hand.

On 5/1/2019 at 3:37 PM, MrEsturk said:

Just be careful you don't fall into confirmation bias there, guys.

I agree that it's too soon to know whether MK11 will do well or not. But stories like the following won't help the game as they get more public attention.

Spoiler

On 4/27/2019 at 8:29 AM, 27X said:

I have friends that work at NRS and the PC aura they're projecting is utter bullshit. Three of the senior producers and one of the gameplay leads actually give the female employees nicknames based on their attractiveness, and this is public knowledge at manager level and above.

26 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I agree that it's too soon to know whether MK11 will do well or not. But stories like the following won't help the game as they get more public attention.

Reveal hidden contents

From the article text at 8:08 in the video Ernest posted:

"Some full-time employees were allegedly part of cliques at Netherealm and they would sometimes mock contractors behind their backs. 'They were called nicknames behind their backs and they were very inappropriate, especially for women. A lot of the nicknames for women were really perverted and disgusting'..."

Whelp, looks like the dour nail filing cat called it. You stay classy, NRS. Thanks for making my decision to stop supporting you easier. Champions for respecting women indeed.

On 5/1/2019 at 3:37 PM, MrEsturk said:

means the rest of the Avengers cast secretly hate her.

They don't hate her, but a fair number of them don't particularly like her either, and that's not really a secret, given how much of an insufferable asshole she is.

33 minutes ago, 27X said:

They don't hate her, but a fair number of them don't particularly like her either, and that's not really a secret, given how much of an insufferable asshole she is.

Yeah, probably. I was just trying to imply that Geeks-And-Gamers has been trying a bit too hard to up dig dirt her recently. Seems like a trend these days: find someone everyone already knew is a total asshole then grasp at some straws to prove "but wait folks, they're an even BIGGER asshole than you could have imagined. Just give us some of your clicks to find out how!...."

18 minutes ago, Alkpaz said:

Okay watched the video.. minimum wage contract work. Why even bother doing A+ work? It is minimum freakin wage. If I was being paid bottom dollar, I aint going to be puttin in my best work, I can guarantee you that.

Gullible kids fresh out of college being tricked into thinking if they just work hard enough NRS will take them in as an official member. A very tempting, albeit fake, carrot being dangled in front of them you wouldn't have fooling you at a place like McDonald's or a retail store.

NRS's hypocrisy is what get to me. Telling the world how awesome they are for covering up some fictional women while the real women working for them are given vulgar pet names. But I guess that should be expected of anyone who feels the need to tell you they are a women's rights activist. Like the preacher who endless bashes gays then gets caught in a hotel with a gay prostitute.

As much as I'd like to be happy about this, I know it doesn't assure anything yet. There is still plenty of time for ignorant sheeple, the game companies' lobbyists and PR departments, and others to kill it before it happens. Or try to. It also takes a lot of time for a bill to finally become law even under the best circumstances. I'm not getting my hopes up unless/until it does go into action.

Spoiler

If it does, I fully expect companies who built their long-term strategies around loot boxes and microtransactions to wilt like flowers if they don't go bankrupt altogether. Anyone with a lick of business sense knew these practices were unstable to begin with and if they're declared gambling...well, that's an automatic Adults Only rating if they aren't removed. The Kiss of Death for any "mainstream" video game.

3 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

As much as I'd like to be happy about this, I know it doesn't assure anything yet. There is still plenty of time for ignorant sheeple, the game companies' lobbyists and PR departments, and others to kill it before it happens. Or try to. It also takes a lot of time for a bill to finally become law even under the best circumstances. I'm not getting my hopes up unless/until it does go into action.

Reveal hidden contents

If it does, I fully expect companies who built their long-term strategies around loot boxes and microtransactions to wilt like flowers if they don't go bankrupt altogether. Anyone with a lick of business sense knew these practices were unstable to begin with and if they're declared gambling...well, that's an automatic Adults Only rating if they aren't removed. The Kiss of Death for any "mainstream" video game.

I don't know about this. Government lawmakers on a moral agenda have a habit of being even stupider and more corrupt than corporate scumbags. I have a feeling if this passes it will just open the door for more legislation regulating gaming even further because "think of the childrens!". Companies like EA can slowly implode themselves with their own greed with out getting government moral busybodies involved. I also feel like they will completely fuck it up and leave a bunch of loopholes that will allow lootbox type content to continue to exist, just in a different form.

EDIT: I guess my thoughts are: politicians have never been a friend to gaming, often the polar opposite. So any thought of them getting involved, even if I don't like the people they are targeting, makes me nervous.

44 minutes ago, MrEsturk said:

I don't know about this. Government lawmakers on a moral agenda have a habit of being even stupider and more corrupt than corporate scumbags. I have a feel if this passes it will just open the door for more legislation regulating gaming even further because "think of the childrens!". Companies like EA can slowly implode themselves with their own greed with out getting government moral busybodies involved. I also feel like they will completely fuck it up and leave a bunch of loopholes that will allow lootbox type content to continue to exist, just in a different form.

I share your fears. But the gaming companies and the customers themselves are not changing. So now we're stuck between a rock and a hard place: do nothing and let these practices become so normalized that all games suffer or force the issue and risk the idiots we elected trying to regulate more things. It's the lesser of two evils IMO because at least we can vote politicians out of office if they try. No such luck with companies when enough people keep buying into their cash grabs to keep them going.

On an unrelated note, my gripe with gaming is that lately barely anything feels ambitious anymore. Maybe it's me. I've played a lot of video games for a long time, and I've played some really cool stuff that I wish there was more of.

CK2

Dwarf Fortress

Rimworld

Mount & Blade

Kenshi

Where's the next big thing, yo? 

Assuming this bill goes through, it's curtains for games like Candy Crush Saga which is so loaded with pay-to-win microtransactions it actually earned Activision the majority of their earnings for Q1 of 2019. The same is true for countless other mobile games as well.

9 minutes ago, MrAnonym said:

Where's the next big thing, yo?

Ironically, that can be laid at the feet of loot boxes and microtransactions as well. Gaming studios got it into their heads that they didn't need to bother making games good, interesting, or finished, anymore. They just shove in as many monetization scams as possible because there are always people willing to shell out money for something they already bought.

17 hours ago, MrEsturk said:

EDIT: I guess my thoughts are: politicians have never been a friend to gaming, often the polar opposite. So any thought of them getting involved, even if I don't like the people they are targeting, makes me nervous.

Bingo, could be bad. Especially here if EU gets involved.

So EA, how did it turn out? In your own opinion? ?

2 hours ago, ToJKa said:

So EA, how did it turn out? In your own opinion? ?

EA: We will not stand by and let this violation of freedom of expression go unchallenged!

::Bill passes into law::

EA: We're switching to a monthly subscription system for all of our games.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Mr. Trigun said:

EPIC: *does an oopsie*
Gamers: Aw shit, here we go again. :D

<snip>

?

EDIT: I'm getting impatient for the PC demo of Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. It was due last month but got delayed. I would rather a great game be delayed so it can be done right than a mediocre game rushed. But after seeing all the longplays and people missing what is blatantly obvious to anyone who is a fan of the Wonder Boy series...I gotta play it! I'll buy the PS4 version if I have to! I'd rather not but if that's what it takes...

Games now are just so... incredibly boring. Every game it seems the writers are not even trying anymore just tossing in those gamblin boxes and online only requirements so we all have to put up with each other even to play a supposedly single player game. Just how stupid is humanity when a law has to be passed to stop the majority of us from screwing ourselves over?

I really want to know what starfield is all about and if it has gamblin boxes or not, online only or not. After that I don't think we will see another game for a long time that anyone would want to really play. Perfect example of this is the fact that well maybe I'm not the only one here but, I don't even want to pirate a game like rage 2 let alone buy it. I don't want to play it and I don't want to watch youtube videos of it either. I just don't even want to think about it totally wrote it off as a flop already. Many games that have come out recently I think that people didn't even pirate them much or at all?

All we have left is starfield and maybe ES6 I don't even want to think about mechwarrior 5 it is most likely just another RTX ON maybe game like metro exodus. I stopped playing that console cancer after exiting the swamp church and getting an earful from that wamenz they threw in there and having to get my character head talked off by that one russian guy after the big fish wth...

I don't care about nvidia gimmicks and I don't care what toady hogwartz says about everything going streaming it ain't gonna happen he can forget that shit. The deathstar company and crapcast and so on various internet gatekeepers will make sure to ruin the wet dream of the gaming industry for some time. It is the same idea that every possible tax can be collected by the govt it just won't happen. Maximum taxation always fails not too long after it happens of course it takes everything else with it when it does fail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2019 at 10:23 PM, Zor2k13 said:

I really want to know what starfield is all about and if it has gamblin boxes or not, online only or not

Supposed to be a classic single player experience from what Todd says. I'm very curious about it myself since it is something brand new from Beth and they're staying very tight lipped about it.

On 3/23/2019 at 3:58 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

As long as the Cancer Club is still alive, I think we can rule out any future Bethesda titles. :classic_sad: The unannounced and unwanted updates for the CC will break future versions of the Script Extender and discourage modders who use it when they have to update their mods to account for the revised SE every three to six months.

"Cancer Club" Best nickname evah!  LOL

• 2 weeks later...

As expected, Cyberpunk and Doom Eternal are up for pre-order after their E3 reveals despite being 10 and 5 months away. And both already have sold a lot since they have the Most Sold tag (or whatever it is in english) ?‍♂️

Everyone, keep calm and repeat after me:

I will not pre-order games.

Archived