Gaming Gripes (Keep It Civil)

Ernest Lemmingway

On 11/5/2019 at 8:07 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Is it wrong to want a games industry crash like the one in '88

That was in 1983 actually and you better hope we don't have one like that I was a teenager at the time. There's a big difference between then and now back then the crash was caused by an oversaturation of games, consoles and newly emerging computer gaming. There where 9 major console makers back then and nearly 6 times more games available than today and the computer gaming industry was in it's infancy but game publishers still relied on console games being successful just like today. The crash took full effect at around 1985 when it had a 97% lose in revenue but after all was said and done 7 out of the 9 console makers went bankrupt, only Nintendo and Sega survived, as well as most gaming computer makers, only Intel and AMD survived. In fact if it wasn't for Nintendo and Sega jumping in the industry would've died back then.

Today with only 3 console makers and only Intel and AMD another hit like that could very well kill the entire industry permanently.

Although if Atari can actually make a successful comeback with the Atari VCS it's first console since the Jaguar back in 1993 maybe fresh blood is what the industry needs to turn itself around. But I'm skeptical that it'll be successful they've been gone too long.

Sega has also flirted with coming back but the longer they wait the less chance of a successful comeback.

13 hours ago, namaradus said:

That was in 1983 actually

Yeah, that year makes more sense given what I know of VG history. Okay, maybe not that level of a crash but certainly one that sees the bankruptcy of studios that have built their business models around such unsustainable practices as loot boxes, micro transactions, and paywall content (2K, Activision Blizzard, Bugthesda, and EA mostly). Something to frighten current and future studios away from these practices. We've already seen Ubisoft suffer a major loss when these practices came back to bite them in the ass but the other big names are still going at it. Even Activision Blizzard still has plans on using micro transactions in Diablo 4 and that's a good year or two away.

And this new law in China restricting people from playing online games beyond a certain amount of time and spending more than so much a month on online games I'm a bit ambivalent about. On the one hand, if it works, it will neuter the primary reason so many game companies are focusing on the Chinese market. On the other hand, their chosen methods are questionable and based on tech that is a joke; facial recognition is one of the worst biometrics because it's so easily fooled and even the best software is prone to false positives and negatives. A skilled make-up artist can easily fool the tech.

4 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

the bankruptcy of studios

I wouldn't want to see studios get closed when it's the Publishers that are the problem. As an investor I've always said that Publishers having total control over a studio is not good. Studios should be allowed to do things their way and take the time they need to bring out a high quality product. EA is a prime example of a publisher with too much control. Studios these days are neutered shells of their former selves.

But I agree something needs to happen a big bite in the ass to the publishers would end it pretty quickly. These days publishers for the most part are following the "Large short term gain model" which is the business model taught by Liberal business schools and professors and it's stupid, long term viable gain is always better.

And believe it or not even we investors don't have much say anymore nowadays it's more like the companies telling us to sit down shut up and we'll tell you what we're doing next.

4 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

2K, Activision Blizzard, Bugthesda, and EA

Bethesda is a victim of ZeniMax they have no control over their own studio. Just like Bioware and Maxis are victims of EA, although for along time Maxis was able to tell EA to fuck off and do things their way as they were an Independent Subsidiary and EA only had publishing rights but that changed when Samantha Ryan took over and ripped the company apart and handed it over to EA and EA rewarded her by putting her in charge of Bioware where she did the same there too.

On 11/14/2019 at 12:54 AM, namaradus said:

<snip>

I apologize if I came off as denigrating you. This is just a really touchy subject for me. I've watched several game franchises I loved (WoW, TES, Fallout) fall prey to not just the truly entitled and toxic (the same ones who keep calling everyone else those things) but to greedy and unsustainable business practices. Studios whose names were once gold and are now dirty words. And who knows what's going on with them? Not even investors are getting the whole story!

My prior post has been deleted because I realize I wrote it all wrong and I'm just walking away from it before I say anything else that will make things worse. To make sure I don't keep digging my own grave deeper, I'm walking away from LL beyond mod downloads as well. Online communication is simply not my forte.

As for the video games industry, I've given up on it. I don't have the energy left to care about it.

1 hour ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I apologize if I came off as denigrating you. This is just a really touchy subject for me. I've watched several game franchises I loved (WoW, TES, Fallout) fall prey to not just the truly entitled and toxic (the same ones who keep calling everyone else those things) but to greedy and unsustainable business practices. Studios whose names were once gold and are now dirty words. And who knows what's going on with them? Not even investors are getting the whole story!

My prior post has been deleted because I realize I wrote it all wrong and I'm just walking away from it before I say anything else that will make things worse. To make sure I don't keep digging my own grave deeper, I'm walking away from LL beyond mod downloads as well. Online communication is simply not my forte.

As for the video games industry, I've given up on it. I don't have the energy left to care about it.

There is no need to apologize the frustration has been building up in me for a long time and I didn't mean to take it out on you. I deeply regret it and apologize for my horrible actions.

I've also deleted my prior post as it came off way too harsh. Don't leave the community. Stay and help your fellow gamers. 

The final DLC for Battletech was released, along with a patch to accompany said DLC. Now, the last DLC was only about adding new mechs to the game. Two often requested models have been Marauder and Warhammer, so what did Harebrained Schemes and their overlord Paradox do?

They included them in the free patch. GOTCHA! AN ANTI-GRIPE! ?

These small devs still do stuff like this, instead of predatory monetization. Grip has received new car and tracks in patches too (and they don't suck) :classic_happy:

As an (ex)musician, I can compare development studios with bands, and publishers as record labels.

A band has a hit, so they can try to reach as much market as possible themselves (see Metallica), or make a deal with a label.

Yet I've never seen a record label contract a band, then split them up and make the individuals work on separate projects in hope they will keep creating hits outside the very thing which brought the individuals to prominence to begin with.

"Yeah, I like to Rock!"

"Good, report to Top-40 Pop office right away."

"Huh?"

"Hey! I can do Top-40"

"Sorry you're scheduled to work in Classical Theory Online Lessons dept."

I guess what I'm trying to say is Publishers 'cannibalizing' small studios is a bad idea when it comes to new titles we would show interest in.

The look on the faces of those whom thought they 'Made It' once signed with a huge publisher only to realize it's almost the same as checking in to Prison, with the caveat of being able to leave. Being able to continue working is best left for another post.

This idea crossed my mind after watching a video about Biowares future. My guess is - they said 'YES SIR!" to every EA demand, delivered, then sat back and said "Want to try it our way next time?"

Walk and talks or unskippable cutscenes, in games in general but I'm gonna rant about a specific one below. Just please just give me skippable cutscenes.

It's 2019, we've had this since fucking 2001 (Metroid Prime) as far as I'm aware. I don't care about the plot. Since when does Monster Hunter HAVE a plot? Fuck off.

I bought this game because I want to stab the things and carve the drops, get out of here with this shitty character I hate and have no attachment to.

Why the fuck is she even being praised? SHE'S INCOMPETENT AND FUCKING STUPID, who the FUCK gets stuck on a Deviljho's back like that!?
IS there some kind of test to becoming a Hunter? Or a Handler!? SHE is responsible for my information and safety!? WHAT!?

I looooooooove your game but it's so hard to play it, especially when the enemy is difficult and dying/failing means I have to do the walk, watch a long-ass intro, and then try to fight it again.

I've played nearly every game in the series and as far as I can recall you can't skip the 5 second intros some monsters get but long cinematic cutscenes you've always been able to.

This is stupid, I get you're fucking proud of what you've done here but it's a goddamn game, you're working on a movie with Milla Jojokeabitch put that shit there.

latest creation club content sucks real bad! Seems like the same useless writer is handling all the stories of the different creations and thus ruining them. Capital wasteland quest with a stupid name "fight the good fight" what a really stupid name. Geared up for a major time sink brought along a companion and some heavy weapons from normal mods what do I get? one area with no workshop NO WORKSHOP!!!!!! bunch of mercenaries wanting a place to settle after the big fight is over... Now I'm stuck with npcs named "goodfighter mercenary" in one of my settlements and TWO bugged looking vertibird static mesh activators sitting on a parking deck and the roof of the national guard armory. The one on the armory looks like the original place it was supposed to be but the modder changed the story and just left it there. It says travel to prydwen if I get up there to activate it. They couldn't just delete it with xedit and leave in the revised location?

Gunners vs minutemen was the same thing NO WORKSHOP AT QUINCY WTF????? just a bunch of minutemen that forgot where the castle is and a stupid flag pole activator. I would love to turn quincy into a settlement and even more so with the programming support of bethesda since they claim to work with the CC modders every step of the way but noooooooo it had to be a dam flag pole instead. Nobody asked for a bunch of stupid power armor skins pretending to be a quest for a quincy workshop.

Why did I think that rifle mod would be any good I don't know since I totally forgot that peasant computers aka consoles can't use custom animations and then the woke quest sticking my character with a stupid ring in the inventory until I could normally get all the way to the end of it just because I decided to use a CC gun mod... console commands ftw and never again for CC weapon mods.

The vault suits thing has already been done with an old mod that still works called custom combat armor mod if you downgrade to an old version of AWKCR and AE.

The lead up to all this CC stuff we got had this big giant new content feelz and it all turned out to be complete and total crap. From what I have heard about the total conversion mods for FO3 and FONV to FO4 it is all only half way done each one and could take some years to finish.

Archived