Gaming Gripes (Keep It Civil)

Ernest Lemmingway

On 9/12/2019 at 12:00 PM, Mr. Trigun said:

Now I want to see EA, Take Two/2K and ActiBlizz squirm like a worm on a fishing hook. ?

I fully expect to see the top level execs flee their companies like rats from a sinking ship. I would kill to see tools like Harry No-dick and other CEOs losing everything and having to work to survive for a change.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:14 AM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I fully expect to see the top level execs flee their companies like rats from a sinking ship. I would kill to see tools like Harry No-dick and other CEOs losing everything and having to work to survive for a change.

Not to be pessimistic.

But don't get too hopeful on that. EA and Take Two have major ties to the DNC and is one of the DNC's biggest backers and Activision/Blizzard's parent company Vivendi has major ties to most of the most powerful politicians in France. No matter what is said publicly it's what happens behind closed doors that really matters.

On 9/15/2019 at 1:53 PM, namaradus said:

Not to be pessimistic.

But don't get too hopeful on that. EA and Take Two have major ties to the DNC and is one of the DNC's biggest backers and Activision/Blizzard's parent company Vivendi has major ties to most of the most powerful politicians in France. No matter what is said publicly it's what happens behind closed doors that really matters.

I never expect my hopes to come true. Reality taught me to expect the absolute worst. That doesn't stop me from venting and people misunderstanding that I'm just venting, though.

The whole state of "triple-A" games is an absolute mess. We need the industry to crash like it did in '88. Only more so.

Also CP 2077 caving in and switching to gender-neutral pronouns. I thought it was just character creation, not the whole damn game! I refuse to buy anything that panders to the SJW cult. Which basically means I'm not seeing any Hollowood movies produced this decade (and likely next decade) again.

12 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

*snip*

Also CP 2077 caving in and switching to gender-neutral pronouns. I thought it was just character creation, not the whole damn game!
*snip*

Are you sure about this? I saw CP2077 will also support Polish (audio + text), Russian (audio + text) and Czech (text only) languages. All 3 are gendered languages by design and the gender neutral bs would sound incredibly stupid...written text would look retarded as well.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, Mr. Trigun said:

Are you sure about this? I saw CP2077 will also support Polish (audio + text), Russian (audio + text) and Czech (text only) languages. All 3 are gendered languages by design and the gender neutral bs would sound incredibly stupid...written text would look retarded as well.

Instead of "he," "she," "him," and "her," they're going with "they" and "them" in the English text and voice. I agree, it will look stupid. I'm still going to buy the game in twelve to eighteen months after launch, when everything is bundled together, but it's still starting with a strike against it.

EDIT: After some soul searching and taking more than few steps backwards to look at myself, I realize I fell into the snowflakes' trap. I don't give a fuck about identity politics and I'm not going to start over a video game. If the game is good and the people who actually play it for a solid length of time on Steam, GOG, and whatnot give it good reviews, I'll buy it when the Complete Edition comes out. I've never been one to bend to peer pressure unless there was a damn good logical reason. And not being able to identify my toon as male or female definitively isn't one of them.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, ToJKa said:

What could possibly be the risk of Tencent owning a significant share of major publsihers?

Had nothing to do with Tencent besides Tencent doesn't even have a minority share (less than 4.9%) in Activision/Blizzard all they have is a sliver and with the vast majority of Activision/Blizzard's stocks being public (63%) Tencent will never have a controlling share.

Activision/Blizzard most likely took the course of action they did after seeing the actions the Chinese Government took against the NBA and South Park to protect the invests they have in Asia.

What Activision/Blizzard did was still wrong in many ways and a cop out. And despite how much I would like to point the finger and blame Tencent, they had nothing to do with it.

Both @ToJKa and @namaradus have good points. Tencent may only own 5% of Activision but they do have a great deal of influence in China. Ultimately it's not Tencent that Activision wanted to appease, it's the People's Government (the ultimate oxymoron). They don't want them to ban all "imports" from the US, including entertainment, or they'll lose access to the one-billion-plus cash cows customers living there. These greedy fucks are making me think that the trade tariffs don't go far enough. If businesses are so dependent on China--a country that hates us--for money that they'll pander to to their government...

I had the impression it was much more than 5%? Well, that's the post-truth society for you.

Yeah, it's more about businesess being businesess, but still a worrying development. Don't trust China. It's like Soviet Union, except not drunk and actually dangerous ?

Well, at least there's backlash, from the public and even their own employees.

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, ToJKa said:

I had the impression it was much more than 5%? Well, that's the post-truth society for you.

Yeah, it's more about businesess being businesess, but still a worrying development. Don't trust China. It's like Soviet Union

You might be thinking of Epic or Grinding Gears as they hold a controlling share of Grind Gears and a near controlling share of Epic. But at least the Soviets where reasonable and could be talked to.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ToJKa said:

So, remember Anthem? Me neither. And since Dragon Age 4 has been restarted to include "Live Service" elements, i think Zombie Bioware will be finally put to ground.

Reveal hidden contents

That's not necessarily a bad thing if it's done right as Ubisoft has shown it can be very good thing in keeping games alive longer and improving on a game as it should allow for better customer feedback. FF XV had that up until early this year but lost the Live Service status when Hajime Tabata left Square Enix.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ubisofts-live-service-success-means-youll-be-playing-the-same-games-for-longer

Funny, just the other day i heard someone call it Fallout SeventyShits ?

Oh Bethesda... One should remember Hanlon's Razor *), but can they really be like this?

Maybe they hate money like Konami, and are trying to self-destruct?

*) "Don't assume malice for what can be explained with stupidity"

First person only rpg-s with detailed and deep character creator tools to make a char's look.

I not give a fuck about how well those games made, I legit triggered by this and why?

Neither of those two games has any real option to let your char be seen and you just spent on effort to make a look on a mechanic, which has no real reason to be there.

Utterly pointless and dissaponiting.

5 hours ago, Resdayn said:

First person only rpg-s with detailed and deep character creator tools to make a char's look.

I not give a fuck about how well those games made, I legit triggered by this and why?

Neither of those two games has any real option to let your char be seen and you just spent on effort to make a look on a mechanic, which has no real reason to be there.

Utterly pointless and dissaponiting.

This has always bothered me, especially in games that have clothing and armor items to buy or receive as loot, yet you can't really get the overall impression of said loot against the backdrop of the game's environment. Generation Zero is the same, but appearance is mostly for the Co-op crowd, and we single players just have to deal with it. Oh , and the game has Emotes as well. Haven't tried any to see if the camera switches to 3rd person for viewing those. Probably not......(sigh)......

Well, at least the game's moddable, not that there's much out there yet as modding goes. Maybe THIS game can have a 3rd person camera after all. The timeline's the '80s though....hated most of the '80s, myself.

20 minutes ago, Chbaakal said:

Generation Zero is the same, but appearance is mostly for the Co-op crowd, and we single players just have to deal with it. Oh , and the game has Emotes as well. Haven't tried any to see if the camera switches to 3rd person

The developer said that it's FPS only they couldn't get the 3rd person view mechanics to work properly as no one on their team had any experience with it.

Why would anyone ever buy a "first person role playing game"?  It makes zero sense in any way - it most likely just means that the people who do don't really care about what they buy (outside of "it has good reviews it must me good" peer pressure thing) 

My gaming gripe :

non working mirrors. Not only is it lazy af  the excuses are also hair-raisingly bad "muh precious CPU cycles...", it just takes me completely out of it,  total immersion killer.

1 hour ago, ToJKa said:

Huh, EA posted that their live services have been performing above expectations.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/eas-live-service-games-are-performing-above-expect/1100-6470973/

We deserve the state of the games industry :classic_happy:

Read EA's statement and read between the lines. They're trying to make it look good for investors who don't actually play video games. This is the same company that outright lied to the same people about player support for Anthem. They're kissing ass in the hopes of riding out the current storm of customer outrage. Sadly I'm worried it will work as gamers get caught up in the bread and circuses of things like Battlefield V on Steam and forget who they're dealing with.

7 hours ago, ToJKa said:

Fallout 1st is selling really well too, according to Bethesda.

Not to mention that everyone forgot what Blizzard did when they announced Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2.

The first part I question. This is Bugthesda we're talking about, a company that only has to answer to its private stockholders and who has lied so often about so many different things that we should take everything they say with a pound of salt. A grain won't do it anymore.

As for the second, that's true as far as some players go. The shareholders, however, are not impressed. Keep in mind that Shadowlands is at least a year away from launch, while D4 and OW2 could be two to four years away. Activision Blizzard has nothing major slated for release in the near future and that's making their investors nervous. The only thing they really have coming up in America are more mobile games, which aren't the most "stable" money makers. Especially if the anti-loot box bill gets passed. An associate of mine works in the American games industry and he won't tell me much other than "the situation is far worse than people realize."

Is it wrong to want a games industry crash like the one in '88? So we can start over from scratch? I don't want people losing their jobs but at this point it may be inevitable as things continue going wrong for the major "triple-A" game studios. And to rub salt in their wounds, the situation with China is just exacerbating everything as we head into a recession for 2020. Never mind whatever President Pooh Bear of China does in a fit of pique to "get back at America."

Archived