Gaming Gripes (Keep It Civil)

Ernest Lemmingway

2 hours ago, ToJKa said:

As expected, Cyberpunk and Doom Eternal are up for pre-order after their E3 reveals despite being 10 and 5 months away. And both already have sold a lot since they have the Most Sold tag (or whatever it is in english) ?‍♂️

Everyone, keep calm and repeat after me:

I will not pre-order games.

To be fair I can see why someone would pre-order from cdprojekt red, they have so far continued to provide excellent value for money.

Doom eternal on the other hand.... not so much.

5 hours ago, ToJKa said:

Yeah, that's how they get you ;)

True, a company can burn you on pre orders if they have a good reputation.

Only works once though, if I pre-order a complete dud or if I know a lot of their recent games are crap (BETHESDA, EA, UBISOFT) I definitely will not pre-order anything from them.

On the other hand, I feel fairly confident pre-ordering  games like the RE2 remake and Cyperpunk 2077 because the company behind them has a decent enough reputation. (yeah I know Capcom was almost as bad as the 3 prime evils mentioned before but they really turned it around lately)

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Mr. Trigun said:

Nice try EA. So now we might stop using the word "THEFT" and call it a "surprise owner switcheroo".

EA must be desperate if they're really trying something that stupid and obvious. Here's hoping they--and other triple-A publishers--go under if/when the anti-loot box bill becomes law for ripping us off and treating us like utter imbeciles.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Mr. Trigun said:

In today's episode of "Let's kick EA in the balls."

EA (and Epic as well) right now:
Výsledek obrázku pro are we the baddies gif

I commented on YongYea's video about how sociopathy is considered an asset in big business, especially cutthroat industries like entertainment. People who can't see others as equals don't think twice about making the sorts of deals that can make or break a company. Too many people who should be locked up in asylums are running things at video game publishers/studios lately.

• 3 weeks later...

If the soon to be released console generation was not ready for a release but instead behind by several years maybe we would see more games released this year and early next year but instead the gaming industry just moves everything to next year except a few crap titles. At the same time I have to think if the console release was farther away these idiots might have decided to wait even longer to release anything and we would have nothing coming out soon but that is pretty much what we have anyway I'm not looking forward to some propaganda like youngblood for example.

Huh, so CD Project RED has no pre-order bonuses for Cyberpunk? All buyers get the same content.

"Good guys" for doing what everyone did not so long ago :classic_laugh:

Spoiler

Well, it's better than suprise buttsex mechanics.

My biggest worry with CDPR is they keep talking about adding multiplayer "later".  If I buy a single-player game and they stick multiplayer into it later I would be seriously pissed off.  To the point that I would never consider buying any more of their products.  It actually makes me very hesitant to buy the game at all, if and when it comes out since I never pre-order anything.

On 7/29/2019 at 12:52 PM, ToJKa said:

Remember when multiplayer being forced into every game was our biggest worry? :classic_laugh:

Meanwhile, in the real world

Reveal hidden contents

Rockstar is really pushing it since the legal definition of gambling is still decades out-of-date. That's what we should be pushing to change, since it's how Evil Arts got loot boxes past the UK Parliament.

They didn't fit the legal definition of gambling in UK, true, but UK is aware how harmful they are, so somthing probably gets done sooner or later.

It is likely that something gets done on EU level as well.

Meanwhile, Activision knows to hook them when they're young:

Spoiler

They are actually changing the game AFTER it's released. So even avoiding pre-orders does not work anymore.

9fNRzrG.gif.017fc4770e1b9bd72dafc644bdbb7d04.gif

• 3 weeks later...

As Apex Legends has rather adequately demonstrated, even cosmetic micro transactions can be predatory by using FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). I pray to Dog that the anti-loot box bill runs some of the worst perpetrators of these scummy tactics out of business when their main source of income is cut off.

20 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

As Apex Legends has rather adequately demonstrated, even cosmetic micro transactions can be predatory by using FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). I pray to Dog that the anti-loot box bill runs some of the worst perpetrators of these scummy tactics out of business when their main source of income is cut off.

Gamers can only hope, but the sad truth of the matter is that if these predatory tactics get banned, the greedy corporate cancer will introduce some other way to screw over their customers. Probably in the way of price hikes, separating parts of the finished product into even more DLC chunks, or finding another way to prey upon the ignorant and weak-willed, sycophantic playerbase that buys into this shit.

There has to be both regulatory actions (with stiff, costly penalties) against these corporate clowns AND an education/warning system put into practice for parents, children, and those 'adults' that are easily manipulated into such rampant Corporate Predation.

The wishy-washiness of the developer of Ion Maiden Fury serves as the strongest argument against digital only games or even game patches as a whole. They might be flip-flopping back their changes after the backlash but they could always revert the reversions after the backlash dies down or a new one over the reversions flares up.

Maybe there should be a new term in the terms of service for the major game distribution services that refuses any game that has undergone any significant changes compelled by outside sources from being listed as the same game anymore, perhaps treating it as a form of Bait-and-Switch?

2 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

The wishy-washiness of the developer of Ion Maiden Fury serves as the strongest argument against digital only games or even game patches as a whole. They might be flip-flopping back their changes after the backlash but they could always revert the reversions after the backlash dies down or a new one over the reversions flares up.

Maybe there should be a new term in the terms of service for the major game distribution services that refuses any game that has undergone any significant changes compelled by outside sources from being listed as the same game anymore, perhaps treating it as a form of Bait-and-Switch?

As long as they stick with this decision I'll support them. The out of touch "boomers" running the gaming industry aren't going to (slowly) figure out we are the good guys if we take the same "still not good enough" attitude as the SJWs when a game developer backpedals on a stupid decision.

Unless its one of the shameless micro-transactions debacles were the devs gouges their player base for a fortune then tries to apologize after they've raked in all the cash. In that case screw them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived