What really makes you happy?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 7:14 PM, steelpanther24 said:

"War doesn't determine who is right and who is wrong, only who is left. "    Too bad those lessons are lost on a great many people, making this world re-learn it every so often. 

There's a reason for that.  War is good for business.  VERY good for business.  Destroyed stuff needs to be replaced.  Those who place themselves properly are rewarded handsomely, and the coffers overfloweth.  (Never mind that all that gold is tainted with blood.)

On 11/14/2021 at 8:17 PM, AKM said:

There's a reason for that.  War is good for business.  VERY good for business.  Destroyed stuff needs to be replaced.  Those who place themselves properly are rewarded handsomely, and the coffers overfloweth.  (Never mind that all that gold is tainted with blood.)

Having somewhat of a familiarity to that industry, I respectfully disagree, as the defense industry makes money the old fashion way...buying politicians.    It is true that fear is always profitable, and seemingly sane people begin to believe "if it saves one life, it is worth it".   Rather than engage with a wall of words, I hope this image will illustrate what I mean, how simple ideas end up being stupid and costly.

The life of an Air Force project. | The life, Humour

War changes the status quo, it causes people who are political in nature to lose their job, it causes those folks in acquisition to actually look at efficiency.    The end result, if the defense industry is providing shit, and it fails on the battlefield, then that company will have to pay to re-establish their "good name".     Peace time is the only time that "war is good business."

10 minutes ago, steelpanther24 said:

Having somewhat of a familiarity to that industry, I respectfully disagree, as the defense industry makes money the old fashion way...buying politicians.    It is true that fear is always profitable, and seemingly sane people begin to believe "if it saves one life, it is worth it".   Rather than engage with a wall of words, I hope this image will illustrate what I mean, how simple ideas end up being stupid and costly.

The life of an Air Force project. | The life, Humour

War changes the status quo, it causes people who are political in nature to lose their job, it causes those folks in acquisition to actually look at efficiency.    The end result, if the defense industry is providing shit, and it fails on the battlefield, then that company will have to pay to re-establish their "good name".     Peace time is the only time that "war is good business."

True enough.  'Placing one's self properly.' can easily mean 'Buying the right politician.'  Read a book once about a U.S. Army Delta Force guy who was on assignment talking with defense industry types.  It's amazing what they had to say about the damage the "Don't let military and the defense contractors talk to each other!" types have done by ending up with the designers having to guess at what the operational types might need, only to find that what they thought, in good faith, was needed, was about as far off the mark as they could get.  Always planning to fight the last war.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me think...

Nothing anymore, really. I mean there are things I enjoy but I wouldn't necessarily say they bring me happiness. Not like they used to anyway.

Sometimes I miss being young(er), naive, and full of optimism.. I mean I guess now instead of naive and optimistic I've graduated to "stupid, but wise.. ish".

I digress though...

I love sailing.  There is nothing quite like moving through the water with NO NOISE, complete silence when you have one of those rare days where the wind is between 10 and 14 knots.  There is nothing more exhilarating than blasting forward driving your bow underwater as you slide down the face of a wave with a 35 knot tail wind.  Then, there is nothing quite as miserable as turning around in that same 35 knot wind and bashing into those same waves with them drenching you every 30 seconds or so and the waves wash down the deck and back into the cockpit, especially knowing that you are tacking back and forth and only making half the speed forward that you would make with the wind toward the back.

6 hours ago, fishburger67 said:

I love sailing.  There is nothing quite like moving through the water with NO NOISE, complete silence when you have one of those rare days where the wind is between 10 and 14 knots.  There is nothing more exhilarating than blasting forward driving your bow underwater as you slide down the face of a wave with a 35 knot tail wind.  Then, there is nothing quite as miserable as turning around in that same 35 knot wind and bashing into those same waves with them drenching you every 30 seconds or so and the waves wash down the deck and back into the cockpit, especially knowing that you are tacking back and forth and only making half the speed forward that you would make with the wind toward the back.

Ahhh...sailing in the far North Atlantic......crossed the Artic circle on that cruise.......while being shadowed by a Soviet......errr  Russian at the time "fishing" trawler.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:44 PM, Z0mBieP00Nani said:

Let me think...

Nothing anymore, really. I mean there are things I enjoy but I wouldn't necessarily say they bring me happiness. Not like they used to anyway.

Sometimes I miss being young(er), naive, and full of optimism.. I mean I guess now instead of naive and optimistic I've graduated to "stupid, but wise.. ish".

I digress though...

Find the simple things that make you happy. Food is a good place to start. lol.

12 minutes ago, steelpanther24 said:

Well, I am glad it makes you happy, but it makes me imagine:

Reveal hidden contents

> Not necesseraly. The French realize that all acts against bullies in the school didn't help and they were forced to apply more radical one. Killing the bullies would be extreme act which will show that nothing else helped. I would rather live in the society like the one from the movie you posted, then in which everyone is doing what they want without consequences.

10 minutes ago, EvalovesEP said:

> Not necesseraly. The French realize that all acts against bullies in the school didn't help and they were forced to apply more radical one. Killing the bullies would be extreme act which will show that nothing else helped. I would rather live in the society like the one from the movie you posted, then in which everyone is doing what they want without consequences.

Fair enough, and what makes you happy is what makes you happy, so at the very least I can smile and say good, we need more happiness.   

That said, I tend to view things a bit differently, summed up perfectly in the last bit of this classic movie.

Spoiler

transcript: don't be so gloomy...After all, it's not that awful. Remember what the man said...in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo……….. Leonardo Da Vinci,………. and the Renaissance...In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce?...The cuckoo clock.