Is Anyone Using the Creation Club?

Ernest Lemmingway

Using the Creation Club  

583 members have voted

1. 1. Have you used Bethesda's Creation Club?

• Yes, I've paid for mods from it or downloaded free mods from it.
    • No, I've never used it.
    • What's this "Creation Club?"

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 7:00 PM, TheSpoonKing said:

I have, but only for when the stuff was free. 

None of the "Mini DLCs" are actually worth the price. 

Yep, so far I haven't seen anything worth it that you can't find for free elsewhere.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:44 PM, CodyR4 said:

Fuck creation club. They just want to make Monty off of modders that go on there, that “we want people to get rewarded for their creations” is bulshit.

Yea, they didn't deliver the goods. We were suppose to have epic "community" added content that we couldn't get elsewhere. Also if they wanted to reward their creators they are failing there as well. I don't see them paying much for their works. AS I understand it, it is a one time payout not a % (even if it is a small one) Also, they don't show the author or "team" members that helped create the mod. That would be a good feature both to "reward" the author but also to sell the mod as I assume some if not many there are established authors. Their fans might want to get their works.

Basically Bethesda screwed up on all counts with this project.

I knew they would try a return to some sort of paid mods scheme. Called it out and got shut down by folks saying Beth/Zeni learned their lesson.

Big surprise... I was right.

I fear what I forsee as their next maneuver to monotize modding... EA should watch out, Bethesda wants that golden turd trophy so bad these days.

Is the voting over, I can't actually click a button for voting. Either way here is my answer: What's this "Creation Club?"

Commenting on some of the stuff I've read and experienced before from the devs I guess they haven't let go of their take-all approach. They don't interact enough with the modding community directly on the fan made community sites. It's take it or leave it. They have opened up for an insanely amazing group of talent by allowing the game to be modded and allowing for this community to exist. But then they don't take the community seriously and make something out of it. Special Edition is a good example, they could have gone wild and licensed DLC's like Wyrmstooth or whatnot. Overhauls for character creation too, remakes of blacksmithing systems so the player can order armor/weapons, different animations that you can choose between to get that feeling that you are the class that you are and so much more. It's a shame that's how I'd put it. : p But I'm still enjoying things so it's okay

no Skyrim ( 2010 vers ) will be the last Beth game I buy,I used to mod around 2000 to 2005,why ? i enjoyed being complimented on my work,now i don't mod at all after some Russian site stole my mods,I know the cost of 3D programs Photoshop etc,but 4$ for a Dwarven Mudgrab....get real

Microtransactions will kill gaming...shame, for every 2 that refuse to buy into it there's 10 who will

8 hours ago, sikkboy said:

no Skyrim ( 2010 vers ) will be the last Beth game I buy,I used to mod around 2000 to 2005,why ? i enjoyed being complimented on my work,now i don't mod at all after some Russian site stole my mods,I know the cost of 3D programs Photoshop etc,but 4$ for a Dwarven Mudgrab....get real

Microtransactions will kill gaming...shame, for every 2 that refuse to buy into it there's 10 who will

Most I know in RL only take the free versions. I imagine there are many buying the mod and just distributing it to others for free.

5 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Most I know in RL only take the free versions. I imagine there are many buying the mod and just distributing it to others for free.

Would that redistribution be possible with files hot off the 'Net or would there need to be some security cracking done first? It would be just like Bethesda to forget to include anti-piracy measures with their own mods.

1 hour ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Would that redistribution be possible with files hot off the 'Net or would there need to be some security cracking done first? It would be just like Bethesda to forget to include anti-piracy measures with their own mods.

Likely Steam wouldn't lit it run (in raw original form) . Some work might need to be done. Not sure. Shouldn't talk about this on the site though ;) 

The interesting thing I come up with this, concept, is what is Bethesda doing in the modding world to help protect assets? I mean are they checking popular mods to see if the files or parts of the files are the same? Or are they just trusting the current process (honor) that when pirate activity is detected, the mod is addressed (removed from sites like Nexus, LL etc)

However with "anti-piracy" measures, they re allowing people to add to the mods created just like any other mods as far as I know. In order to do that as I understand it, you have to be able to access them to be able to add to them in some way. So I doubt there is much difference in the files themselves. However I don't know.

In the end even their free stuff isn't interesting enough for me to get anything from them. Not interesting enough for me to even sign up to have the opportunity to do so. I haven't even looked at the offerings after a month or two of the release of the project.  After seeing the "mud crab" armor/companion or whatever that was I was like "Fuck this shit" and haven't even checked.  Sad, I was actually holding a glimmer of hope that they would actually start working to give us some the "impressive" mods that they promised us when announcing the project. Not horse armor's all over again. :frown:

So even pirated crap from them is bullshit in my opinion. I suggest that we the user get the mods from authors that are willing to distribute their works for a small price... the price of giving them a complement and respect a thumbs up. Pay attention to authors on this site, Nexus, and others that want to distribute their works, and improve the modding community. They are the mods that matter, they are the authors that should be paid attention to, they are the mods we should be using. This is so very easy as most mods found on Bethesda's site is mods that can be found in as good or often times better quality elsewhere. There is no reason to use Bethesda's mod offerings and absolutely no reason to pay for them (for those that use the free downloads they occasionally offer)

Ok, I will step off my soapbox now... lol

15 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Likely Steam wouldn't lit it run (in raw original form) . Some work might need to be done. Not sure. Shouldn't talk about this on the site though ;)

I asked simply because the lack of any copy protection means paid mods make even less sense than before. If it can too easily be shared among friends or on some underground site, it's pointless to charge anything. I'm not condoning piracy; I'm just pointing out a grim fact of the modding world that Bethesda doesn't seem to have taken into account.

Or maybe they have. The CC is aimed at console players so they seem to be assuming that sales to them will offset any potential losses from PC pirates.

4 hours ago, Wonko486 said:

I'm taking it for all the free stuff i can get, but I will not give them any more money.

If you do a bit of looking around you can find better options for the same mod offered on Bethesda, free or not ;) at least this was the case when I was paying attention awhile back.

They do actually tell you who made it, if and when it was made by a community member.  Most of what's on there is actually made by Bethesda employees, not modders, but the stuff that is modder-made is clearly labeled. Fadingsignal and Elianora both have entries on there, for example, and Fadingsignal actual has a "Fadingsignal pack" you can buy with all of his content. 

Also, full disclosure, I have used the CC; I have gotten every free item the have offered, and I payed full price for Fadingsignal's backpack mod, because I like his work, and if his stuff sells, they might offer him more opportunists to make content and money.

On 1/14/2018 at 1:34 PM, RitualClarity said:

If you do a bit of looking around you can find better options for the same mod offered on Bethesda, free or not ;) at least this was the case when I was paying attention awhile back.

It's not about having the stuff. They will track and log who buys what to allow them to focus on what is selling more so they can offer more of that content. If enough people only get stuff when it's free, it might convince them to stop trying to monetize the game.

Hell, I mostly use CC for fallout 4 and trying to change pipboy paintjobs crashes the game. It's more likely a conflict with an existing mod (probably either AWKCR or AE) but I'm not getting rid of either of those in favour of swamp camo on my pipboy. I'd rather have actual added content and not cosmestic crap, but you don't send a message if you ignore the CC.

12 minutes ago, Wonko486 said:

you don't send a message if you ignore the CC.

Maybe, maybe not. A lack of use does send the message that a majority of players don't like the idea, if not to Bethesda than to any other company that might think of doing something like the CC. It's also an extension of the general boycott some of us are enacting. Or we've given up trying to air our grievances to Bethesda and don't want to bother with them anymore.

Besides, as I keep saying, the CC is aimed at console players. What we [PC players] do or don't do with it doesn't really seem to concern them.

I personally have no problems with it. I do not mind paying for content. Even if it is overpriced content.

After all, Bethesda allows modding via Creation Kit, etc. others do not and you can see how well the modding works on it (Dragon Age, Sims etc.). Basically, I see the Creation Club as a "payment method" for using the Creation Kit and the ability to easily create mods for the game. A completely optional "payment method"!

And if Bethesda in future games comes up with the idea to offer mods exclusively via paying, then you can still drop the game.

This is my personal opinion.

On 1/13/2018 at 9:32 PM, RitualClarity said:

In the end even their free stuff isn't interesting enough for me to get anything from them. Not interesting enough for me to even sign up to have the opportunity to do so. I haven't even looked at the offerings after a month or two of the release of the project.  After seeing the "mud crab" armor/companion or whatever that was I was like "Fuck this shit" and haven't even checked.  Sad, I was actually holding a glimmer of hope that they would actually start working to give us some the "impressive" mods that they promised us when announcing the project. Not horse armor's all over again. :frown:

Beth/Zeni will forever be cursed by the legacy of the infamous "horse armor." As an admitted victim of that steaming pile of dog-shit they tried to pass off as DLC I can definitely see them going the same route with this CC shit-show. I have SSE (got it free) and I have FO4 (also free - a gift). I've looked through the stuff they have available and, frankly, it's ridiculous. Honestly, I'm waiting for them to start trying to rip the free modding community off of some of their ideas and pass them off in the CC. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest....

6 hours ago, Shaddranat said:

I'm waiting for them to start trying to rip the free modding community off of some of their ideas and pass them off in the CC. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest....

umm...they did that from day one.

Archived