[WIP] Traps, Pitfalls and Dangerous Things

"3. Skeever Horde
Create a horde of Skeevers in your current dungeon who will seek you out. They are extremely aggressive (but low level) and will attack everything!"

Imo, skeevers have been long neglected. Thanks for including this part. Interesting potentialities could result.

Maybe with support for other mods, beeing sold to simply slavery for example would be a really reason to look for traps! Whith Cursed Loot in all my devious games installed, i'd love to see some other things happen then equipping DD stuff, too. Maybe some submit/SD+ like event, getting totally bound (you can't get out of the cage before you equipped proper items). Then you have to find a way to escape.

Its a good idea, I try to avoid situations that stop a player dead in their tracks. I think there should always be a fairly simple solution to a problem...this is just a personal preference and I know some people like having a more "hard core" experience :)

A cool trap which might not be too difficult to implement:

Set up the DD "leash" effect to keep a player pinned to the spot the trap spawns, and generate a key in a randomly chosen container somewhere in the dungeon. Most likely the player will need to endure some discomfort in order to find it.

Hmmm....not looked at that effect before. Could be useful to use that for traps that can spawn new enemies to  stop the player just running away?

Will this conflict with Rats in the Wall, which has that awesomely terrifying amputate you feet with the bear traps?

It depends on how they implemented the amputation. If they've done it so that it effects all bear traps then yes, it will probably effect this mod. However, I use custom bear traps to achieve the effects so I think my bear traps won't be effected.

"3. Skeever Horde

Create a horde of Skeevers in your current dungeon who will seek you out. They are extremely aggressive (but low level) and will attack everything!"

Imo, skeevers have been long neglected. Thanks for including this part. Interesting potentialities could result.

Yes, I thought that too :)

AlienSlof did a really good skeever retexture.

http://www.slofslair.co.uk/mods/73

Wow, they are really cool :)

****UPDATE TIME*****

Added a few more devious traps to the skeevers trap laying ability. He seems to be working quite well although he does have a tendency to trigger his own traps, to which he is immune, but this can cause the bear traps to become disabled.

Next stage will see the Skeever being deployed automatically whenever you enter a suitable interior area and then finally he will become invisible.

New traps in this update include...

The Orgasm Gas Trap

Triggered by a metal pressure plate, this trap sprays a vertical column of gas from the ground covering your characters sensitive areas in an arousing mist. It is so effective that it will cause your character to instantly orgasm and pleasure themselves. It also adds a poison effect and will alert any nearby enemies to your position.

Blinding Gas Trap

Cause an explosion that fills your characters eyes with magical goo. This quickly hardens into a temporary blindfold. It also applies a poison effect and will alert nearby enemies. The effect lasts a random duration at which point the blindfold will be removed.

Gagging Gas Trap

Similar to the blinding gas trap, this one instead fills your mouth forming a tight fitting gag. Again, your punishment is a poison effect and alerting nearby enemies. The effect will also wear off after a short period of time.

Have fun :)

Idea for a trap:

Stripper Trap - removes a random amount of the pc's armour and hides it in a container somewhere in the dungeon.

Needs to check it doesn't remove a quest item though (like Hircine's Ring) so probably best to avoid ring and amulet slots

Testing Report:

It seems that if you are in Live Another Life's opening dungeon, this mod's head explodes. Just letting you have a look at my Papyrus, but every 5 seconds, it says "Dropping Trap!" and produces another error in Papyrus.

Edit: Derp, included the Papyrus.

Papyrus.0.log

usage report on version 0.20

ran into the dropping trap notification problem (both inside and outside the lal start cell)

the random timed events (ambushes etc) all worked really well

the trap laying skeever had some issues

used outside 3 times - 1 in Whiterun city he finished, 1 outside in wilds he never finished in over 2 hours (RL Time), 1 I had a ctd (tracked down

and was not this mods fault) but do not know if he would have finished or not.

inside dungeons sometime has pathing issues (in Embershard Mine for instance sometimes he gets stuck, one time he dropped so many traps entrance

was no linger visible at all)

possible solution (not sure how hard to implement) would be to have him become disabled after a set time (long enough to make it thru most dusngeons)

would work for both outside and when he get stuck due to pathing (so that he does not totally block and obscure a dungeon door).

in my case he trigger over 90% of his own traps PLUS all the floor based ones in whichever dungeon I was in that he passed.

solution for solving his triggering of his own and the dungeons floor based traps would be to give him the lightfoot perk (he then should not

trigger his own and the dungeons floor based traps anymore).

will continue to follow and test as I can (and will be added permantly when notification issue is figured out)

please keep up the good work :heart::)

There is no "adult" content just yet, but this mod will provide that content shortly and because I knew that was the route it would go I thought it best to set the requirements from day one. Expect devious traps and perilous situations for your character :)

I'm currently working on the very basic structure of how to add visible and avoidable traps to any dungeon in Skyrim. These will then trigger events in a similar way to Deviously Cursed Loot, but the key to these traps is that they are visible AND avoidable if you are paying attention.

That is bloody brilliant! This is exactly what Skyrim needs. I gots to test this out.

Looking forward to following the progress of this mod :D 
I really like the ambush concepts, especially the skeever horde. Combined with Loot and Degradation, that could lead to some interesting outcomes :D
(Loot and Degradation gives your clothes/armor a chance to break upon being attacked).
The skeevers themselves might not pose a threat, but suddenly being naked in a dungeon might be more dangerous :P

Testing Report:

It seems that if you are in Live Another Life's opening dungeon, this mod's head explodes. Just letting you have a look at my Papyrus, but every 5 seconds, it says "Dropping Trap!" and produces another error in Papyrus.

Edit: Derp, included the Papyrus.

That's really strange as the trap laying quest shouldn't even be active at that point. Will have a look into it :)

usage report on version 0.20

ran into the dropping trap notification problem (both inside and outside the lal start cell)

the random timed events (ambushes etc) all worked really well

the trap laying skeever had some issues

used outside 3 times - 1 in Whiterun city he finished, 1 outside in wilds he never finished in over 2 hours (RL Time), 1 I had a ctd (tracked down

and was not this mods fault) but do not know if he would have finished or not.

inside dungeons sometime has pathing issues (in Embershard Mine for instance sometimes he gets stuck, one time he dropped so many traps entrance

was no linger visible at all)

possible solution (not sure how hard to implement) would be to have him become disabled after a set time (long enough to make it thru most dusngeons)

would work for both outside and when he get stuck due to pathing (so that he does not totally block and obscure a dungeon door).

in my case he trigger over 90% of his own traps PLUS all the floor based ones in whichever dungeon I was in that he passed.

solution for solving his triggering of his own and the dungeons floor based traps would be to give him the lightfoot perk (he then should not

trigger his own and the dungeons floor based traps anymore).

will continue to follow and test as I can (and will be added permantly when notification issue is figured out)

please keep up the good work :heart::)

To be fair, I never really thought the trap laying Skeever would work well outdoors, it's  just not designed to do it. Ah yes..lightfoot perk, must add that :) I know I need to add a check to make sure the Skeever has moved far enough away before starting the timer for a new trap. Embershard mine is a good example as it has the draw bridge that breaks the path to the exit which would stop the Skeever going any further, and would cause him to lay traps in the same place.

I also know that some dungeons on have 1 entrance/exit, such as Dustmans Cairn, and that means the Skeever won't path through the dungeon. I may well have to change the way it works so that it uses objects at certain distances to create waypoints. I think it can be done....

That is bloody brilliant! This is exactly what Skyrim needs. I gots to test this out.

It's still a work in progress, but it's getting there :)

Looking forward to following the progress of this mod :D 

I really like the ambush concepts, especially the skeever horde. Combined with Loot and Degradation, that could lead to some interesting outcomes :D

(Loot and Degradation gives your clothes/armor a chance to break upon being attacked).

The skeevers themselves might not pose a threat, but suddenly being naked in a dungeon might be more dangerous :P

1 thing with the ambushes is that they are inescapable, you can't avoid them. I'm thinking of changing that so that they are triggered as with any trap.

What do people think? Would ambushes be better if they were avoidable, or should they be random and unavoidable?

I too use loot and degredation. Really nice to have to keep patching up your armour or carry a spare, and there is nothing worse than power attacking something only for your weapon to break in your hand!

Well, I think they should be random and unavoidable. I often find myself simply sneaking past sleeping draugr, and it would be more exciting if you were at some point forced to enter combat, instead of just sneaking past an entire dungeon just to get to the last part.
Btw, Delzaron is working on making some traps have a chance of amputating a limb off your character, in the mod "Rats in the wall". Maybe that could be something to integrate in this mod as well?

Well, I think they should be random and unavoidable. I often find myself simply sneaking past sleeping draugr, and it would be more exciting if you were at some point forced to enter combat, instead of just sneaking past an entire dungeon just to get to the last part.

Btw, Delzaron is working on making some traps have a chance of amputating a limb off your character, in the mod "Rats in the wall". Maybe that could be something to integrate in this mod as well?

Well, they would be triggered in the same way as other traps. They would be avoidable, but only if you were paying attention. Also, the lightfoot perk only works on the beartraps, the other traps will trigger regardless of that perk.

If you triggered one, then you'd be forced to fight and my traps are compatible with Subliminal Traps so can be very difficult to spot.

The reason I don't like random traps is that they could cause issues to other mods if they trigger at inappropriate times. Lets say you get bound in Defeat and then Draugr spring out of the ground, you could end up in an endless loop of defeated and then more enemies appearing.

It maybe I can tweak the way the events work so they run more like the Skeever horde...they spawn somewhere else and then path to the players position, or even better -  the trap layer can add extra enemies to the dungeon as she goes, actually I really like that idea :)

I'll take a look at the amputation thing...it depends how it has been implemented.

****UPDATE TIME****

Quite a few changes to the trap laying system which should make it more robust.

- Changed the Skeever trap layer to a human model (Aela the Trapper). She will now run the dungeon in a ghostly form dropping traps as she goes. Trap placement is much more accurate, the Skeever would sometimes leave them floating in the air due to its movement.

- Aela will not drop traps any closer than 500 units (about 7m). This stops trap stacking if she encounters an impassable barrier that the player needs to clear. If she becomes stuck for more than 20 minutes of real time then the quest will exit as something critical has probably happened.

- Aela now has the Lightfoot perk so she shouldn't trigger those beartraps any more. She may still trigger the pressure plates once in a while, but they reset and can be triggered multiple times!

- Trap laying now only works in interiors. Exteriors were never expected to work with the trap laying system. The quest will not start in an exterior location and will stop if you leave an interior location.

- The pathing system has been updated to find 10 unique doors in the loaded area. This should help trap laying in looping dungeons (i.e. the ones where you exit out through the entrance). 10 doors should be enough while still leaving some randomness so some areas may not have any traps at all...just to keep you on your toes :)

- New trap - Electro Shock - Zaps the player and triggers any vibrating devices they might be wearing.

- Fixed some issues with incorrect messages being displayed at the start of the game.

Love this idea, as having played skyrim forever.  I am looking forward to its development and success!  

I do like Immersive Creatures little addon of opening a chest and having a bunch of tiny spiders attack you.  I suggest working with DCL and intergrating with Kimys mod for chest surprises - spells, creatures, bandits, good loot, experience boost (scroll or book that has you learn skill points), teleportation to... , pitfalls.  perhaps a poison needle in the lock that gives you a vanilla disease via text box.  DDI uses a few text box encounters that give you a choice as to how to proceed.  I think this would be a good addition to break up vanilla game.  example text box [ you come across an interesting shiny trinket on the ground... choice: pickup or leave alone?]  I like the idea of having a choice at times to influence what is going or not going to happen to my poor little PC.  

other things could trigger when your looting the vast majority of containers laying around skyrim -- from guards arresting you for digging into townspeople stuff, to bandits jumping you while your rifling through their stuff.  Say you just thought you cleared the area, and you open the fancy chest, only to have another boss spawn behind you.  

I am enjoying testing your mod.  cannot wait for more surprises!  

Thank you!!

Love this idea, as having played skyrim forever.  I am looking forward to its development and success!  

I do like Immersive Creatures little addon of opening a chest and having a bunch of tiny spiders attack you.  I suggest working with DCL and intergrating with Kimys mod for chest surprises - spells, creatures, bandits, good loot, experience boost (scroll or book that has you learn skill points), teleportation to... , pitfalls.  perhaps a poison needle in the lock that gives you a vanilla disease via text box.  DDI uses a few text box encounters that give you a choice as to how to proceed.  I think this would be a good addition to break up vanilla game.  example text box [ you come across an interesting shiny trinket on the ground... choice: pickup or leave alone?]  I like the idea of having a choice at times to influence what is going or not going to happen to my poor little PC.  

other things could trigger when your looting the vast majority of containers laying around skyrim -- from guards arresting you for digging into townspeople stuff, to bandits jumping you while your rifling through their stuff.  Say you just thought you cleared the area, and you open the fancy chest, only to have another boss spawn behind you.  

Thank you!!

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it.

I am going to add things like jewels and high power potions etc to the trap list so they get dropped around the dungeon. There would then be a chance that the item is bait for a trap...but maybe it isn't, you won't know until you pick it up.

There are so many other things that can be done with the trap laying system. I could drop in new enemies directly to the dungeon or have them appear from traps immediately or even after a long delay.

Thank you!!

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it.

I am going to add things like jewels and high power potions etc to the trap list so they get dropped around the dungeon. There would then be a chance that the item is bait for a trap...but maybe it isn't, you won't know until you pick it up.

There are so many other things that can be done with the trap laying system. I could drop in new enemies directly to the dungeon or have them appear from traps immediately or even after a long delay.

I like the idea of "delayed action" traps. You think you got away clean but as you haul your loot back to the entrance for a trip to town you discover that there's a horde of something waiting to welcome you in what you thought should be cleared dungeon.

Love this concept. A cage falling on the player could make a cool trap.

Indeed, but there may be a few issues with that if it happened to trigger in a small area....definitely something that needs to be looked at, but what happens once they are inside the cage? What devious thing would happen to them?

Whith Cursed Loot in all my devious games installed, i'd love to see some other things happen then equipping DD stuff, too. Maybe some submit/SD+ like event, getting totally bound (you can't get out of the cage before you equipped proper items). Then you have to find a way to escape.

Maybe with support for other mods, beeing sold to simply slavery for example would be a really reason to look for traps!

My thoughts were that slave hunters would have the motivation and resources to set a cage trap. Destination could be simple slavery, captured dreams, slave run, i even remember hearing that there is a slave start for mias lair out there someplace.

Love this concept. A cage falling on the player could make a cool trap.

Indeed, but there may be a few issues with that if it happened to trigger in a small area....definitely something that needs to be looked at, but what happens once they are inside the cage? What devious thing would happen to them?

Whith Cursed Loot in all my devious games installed, i'd love to see some other things happen then equipping DD stuff, too. Maybe some submit/SD+ like event, getting totally bound (you can't get out of the cage before you equipped proper items). Then you have to find a way to escape.

Maybe with support for other mods, beeing sold to simply slavery for example would be a really reason to look for traps!

My thoughts were that slave hunters would have the motivation and resources to set a cage trap. Destination could be simple slavery, captured dreams, slave run, i even remember hearing that there is a slave start for mias lair out there someplace.

Slave hunter trap.. sounds awesome!

Simply Slavery can sell them to all of them and many more, that way this mod needs only to target one mod and the user can decide which additional mods he wants to have.

Seems very interesting, though some  overlap with DCUR events. Do you recommend either/or, but noth both?

I don't really think there is much of an overlap. Deviously Cursed Loot deals with a random chance of a trap when looting something such as a chest or a dead person. My mod deals with placing actual trap triggers e.g. beartraps, pressure plates etc.

My traps are designed to be visible, to some degree, and avoidable to keep you on your toes, DCL is random...you'll either trigger a trap or you won't, there is no avoiding it. It works for looting as who knows if someone has placed a trap inside a chest until you open it.

I'd recommend both. I use DCL myself as it is such a great mod. I turn a lot of stuff off like combat surrender and Leon/Leah etc as all I really wanted was trapped loot, but the two mods should work well together (I kind of planned it that way :) )

I like the idea of "delayed action" traps. You think you got away clean but as you haul your loot back to the entrance for a trip to town you discover that there's a horde of something waiting to welcome you in what you thought should be cleared dungeon.

My exact same thoughts :) It would also add an extra challenge for those who "kite" enemies while walking backwards. You're never going to be too sure whether a new enemy might have appeared behind you. 

Although there is nothing I hate more than enemies spawning behind you, so I would have to be careful how I implemented it.

So out of curiosity, which traps use the bear traps? I've had the lightfoot perk for a good long while on my current character.

There are only two bear traps. The Poisoned Bear Trap and the Devious Bear Trap. These are the only ones where the Lightfoot perk will save you, all the others will activate even if you have that perk.

I'll see what I can do, the problem with the cage is it is quite a large object which might cause problems in small areas. An easier solution would be to have a trap that binds the player to the spot and then the Slave Hunters come back and see what they have caught triggering Simple Slavery.

Slave hunter trap.. sounds awesome!

My only issue is will it be too disruptive? I (personally) don't like things in my game that disrupt me from actually playing the game as it was meant to be played. Having some kind of punishment for not seeing a trap etc is fine, as long as you have a chance to recover from it or it doesn't impede your progress too much.

Getting sold into Simple Slavery could disrupt your game for a very long time and, for me, that wouldn't be fun. 

Simply Slavery can sell them to all of them and many more, that way this mod needs only to target one mod and the user can decide which additional mods he wants to have.

Seems like everyone wants to get sold as a slave :)

Maybe make a slave hunter trap an option in the MCM? I see what you're saying about it being unnecessarily disruptive if you're not into your character being enslaved, but it's also a pretty nice opening to having a simple slavery event happen. More options are better than fewer, right?

As long as it's not too time-consuming to implement for you, that is.

Maybe make a slave hunter trap an option in the MCM? I see what you're saying about it being unnecessarily disruptive if you're not into your character being enslaved, but it's also a pretty nice opening to having a simple slavery event happen. More options are better than fewer, right?

very true.  while playing the vanilla game, i wouldn't care.  but if on an important event or long dialogue, i tend to turn off disruptive mod features or the mod itself.  eg Deviously enslaved. 

hmmm oh darn I can see both sides of the ambushes issue (inescapable).

idea have the lesser ones (skeever horde level stuff) inescapable and maybe a new trap for the hard stuff??

would also love to see a new dd based trap for the arms along the same lines as the boots :)

tried the new one out and it was hilarious to see my housecarl, bard, and current follower all hit the lusty trap.......that one is great :>

We'll see what I can do :)

hmmm oh darn I can see both sides of the ambushes issue (inescapable).

idea have the lesser ones (skeever horde level stuff) inescapable and maybe a new trap for the hard stuff??

would also love to see a new dd based trap for the arms along the same lines as the boots :)

tried the new one out and it was hilarious to see my housecarl, bard, and current follower all hit the lusty trap.......that one is great :>

Ha ha, yes that one is a good one...I was thinking about making the traps player only (or at least having the option) as followers tend to end up setting of traps all over the place.