7 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

Yup, assuming it's not some kind of huge hassle.

Well when I converted it there were 2 things I wasn't able to fix.

Firstly, some of the texture files were in a DDS format that SE doesn't support and I don't have the tools to convert them. I had to copy similar files (most that didn't work were "_s" files) or just delete some that were causing crashes. I don't really know how difficult that is to fix the correct way. Also, there are some shiny-ness problems on certain races that I'm not sure how to fix (possibly caused by deleting textures that were causing crashes).

Secondly, there are some minor problems with seams between hands and forearm, for example. No idea what caused that or how to fix it. I think it could've been caused by just running everything through NIF optimizer.

Then there was that odd occurrence with using the Facegen data for LE and dropping it straight into SE. I had generated facegen data in the SE Creation Kit but that was causing crashes, but the LE facegen worked perfectly.

There's a format I used on some _s (specular) files which SE doesn't understand--it's an uncompressed monochrome format. Redoing those isn't hard, just have to find them. That's probably the cause of the texture mismatches and shininess problems.

Just bitching: Does anybody know what dafuq is going on with Khajiit Male Hair 09? It's the one with the rings on braids. I wanted to reweight the rings because the vanilla weighting sucks donkey bricks, but I cannot get that mesh back into the game without crashing. The only thing I can think is that it uses vertex colors apparently to keep the rings from picking up hair color, and maybe my tools aren't able to do that correctly. Anyway I spent a day on it and it's still borked.

1 hour ago, Bad Dog said:

Just bitching: Does anybody know what dafuq is going on with Khajiit Male Hair 09? It's the one with the rings on braids. I wanted to reweight the rings because the vanilla weighting sucks donkey bricks, but I cannot get that mesh back into the game without crashing. The only thing I can think is that it uses vertex colors apparently to keep the rings from picking up hair color, and maybe my tools aren't able to do that correctly. Anyway I spent a day on it and it's still borked.

could khajiithair09.tri be causing a problem with the nif?

2 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

There's a format I used on some _s (specular) files which SE doesn't understand--it's an uncompressed monochrome format. Redoing those isn't hard, just have to find them. That's probably the cause of the texture mismatches and shininess problems.

Sounds like you know what converting to SE would take. I'm still unsure what was up with that weird facegen stuff, but i haven't had any problems with using the oldrim facegen.

7 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

Are you trying to edit it in Blender? Have you tried using Outfit Studio instead? The latest version includes a tool to work on Vertex Colors, and I've never had issues with hair meshes edited in it.

2 hours ago, Hakaru said:

When I installed this and started a new game, my Nord (Lykaios) characters balls won't stop bouncing sporadically nonstop. I've reinstalled SOS, sorted out the file conflicts, put everything in the right mod order... what the FUCK is going on?

The issue is probably as simple as an uncapped framerate. Going above 60 FPS in Skyrim causes physics problems, which I believe includes HDT weirdness.

There are a few ways to limit your framerate but you can do it easily if you happen to already have ENB installed: just open your enblocal.ini file with word/notepad, go to the [LIMITER] section, set EnableFPSLimit to True and set FPSLimit to 58 (and not 60 because it tends to overshoot the cap by a frame or two, so that makes sure everything works correctly).

Alternatively you could use ENBoost, which is just ENB but with all the shader nonsense stripped out leaving behind just the parts that make the game run a bit smoother (hence the name); just open that same file and apply the same edits after you install it.

18 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

could khajiithair09.tri be causing a problem with the nif?

No, cuz I disabled it first.

13 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

The latest version includes a tool to work on Vertex Colors

Really? I'll look for that. But just reading the original and writing it as a nif -- no changes -- produces an instant CTD when the engine tries to load the resulting mesh. 

3 hours ago, ShadowKitty42 said:

I don't have Skyrim VR, but if I did, i'd certainly give my SE conversion a try on it.

Actually, I recently PM'd you about that, I'm attempting to get a little port working for my VR setup myself, it should work. Having issues with CK crashing on save though (it seems to want to auto-export all facegen data no matter what when I save, which seems to be crashing it) Is there some way to force creation kit to save without doing facegen stuff? Can't seem to find much info online, might have to edit the exe
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/8qimu1/ck64_any_ini_tweaks_to_disable_regenerating/

I'll post back here with my progress, but if it works in SE there's no reason it wont work in VR. SKSE (and even SkyUI) are already ported

EDIT: Got the bad textures converted using photoshop + nvidia texture tools, but I still can't get creation kit SE to spit out an updated YiffyAgeConsolidated.esp, it still crashes on save (apparently when trying to generate some facegen data)

3 hours ago, Hakaru said:

No luck. It's worth mentioning that the balls did not bounce before when I simply used the Lykaios mod and a Bad Dog Lykaios Schlong. I really want to get this running. Is there any compatibility patches for Enderal or should it run just fine?

Enderal is a separate question by the way. This is vanilla skyrim I'm working with right now. Still have the bouncing balls. Changing the ENB Settings did nothing.

On 11/23/2018 at 7:57 PM, ShadowKitty42 said:

Well when I converted it there were 2 things I wasn't able to fix.

Firstly, some of the texture files were in a DDS format that SE doesn't support and I don't have the tools to convert them. I had to copy similar files (most that didn't work were "_s" files) or just delete some that were causing crashes. I don't really know how difficult that is to fix the correct way. Also, there are some shiny-ness problems on certain races that I'm not sure how to fix (possibly caused by deleting textures that were causing crashes).

Secondly, there are some minor problems with seams between hands and forearm, for example. No idea what caused that or how to fix it. I think it could've been caused by just running everything through NIF optimizer.

Then there was that odd occurrence with using the Facegen data for LE and dropping it straight into SE. I had generated facegen data in the SE Creation Kit but that was causing crashes, but the LE facegen worked perfectly.

Wait LE Facegen Data works? woo boy that means I can finish my conversion which does have the _s files converted correctly.

4 hours ago, Hakaru said:

Enderal is a separate question by the way. This is vanilla skyrim I'm working with right now. Still have the bouncing balls. Changing the ENB Settings did nothing.

Do you have FloppySOS installed? Or any other HDT mod that could be conflicting with the schlong HDT? Badly written XMLs can cause bugs when coupled with several other physics'd objects.

Otherwise, maybe try searching for the Havok Fix SKSE plugin in the Nexus. Don't think it's specifically meant to fix HDT issues, but if your problem is caused by FPS fluctuaction making Havok go crazy, that could help.

The SSE game will not use some older DDS compression types,  and CK complains about uncompressed textures, though they will still work in the game.

I'm not very familiar with the state of DDS compression, however it seems like the idea is that the new BC7 compression algorithm can compress textures very well, while maintaining nearly the quality of uncompressed textures, while also having the advantage of laying out the data structure of the file to optomize for graphic hardware (which uncompressed cannot do). So, there can supposedly be a significant increase in texture rendering speed over uncompressed to use any of the DDS compressions,  then if BC7 is nearly as good, probably should use that.

However, gimp plugin and any older plugins have no support for BC7. I understand that, to make the game work or the CK not complain,  one should just use BC3 compression for color textures with alpha and BC1 for color textures without an alpha (BC1 vs BC3 in RGB part is exactly the same, only slpha is different),  and then BC5 for normal maps,  which can be done from gimp.  However, the but best option is to use BC7 which gimp and other older plugins cannot do.

Note, do NOT use BC5 for color maps,  ONLY for normal maps..  it throws away one of the color channels as part of its technique.

Info on compression formats:

[ http://www.reedbeta.com/blog/understanding-bcn-texture-compression-formats/ ]

INtel photoshop DDS plugin which can do BC6/7:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-texture-works-plugin ]

However, microsoft has also released a command-line tool that can do this conversion to BC7:

Github project:

https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex ]

Latest pre-compiler release:

https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex/releases/tag/aug2018b ]

You can use this something like

[ texconv.exe -o outputdirectory -ft dds -f BC7_UNORM * ]  to convert all the files in a directory of known types (BMP JPG JPEG PNG DDS TGA HDR TIF TIFF WDP HDP JXR) into dds with BC7 and output to directory outputdirectory.  There are also options to just recusively go through every subdirectory and replace existing files with newly compressed versions.

If files are already in a format SSE knows and CK doesn't complain about, there is no point in re-compressing. It'll just lose even more color data in the compression.

Some more possibly useful discussion I randomly found, no idea about validity usefulness of the tool linked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/8p4g98/bc7_dds_batch_compression_tool_texconvgui/ ]

17 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

That wasn't it but I think it helped me find it. 09 references a hairline that has a new tri that may be causing the screwup.

Every tool I've ever used that exports a .nif file occasionally or frequently outputs a few wrong settings. Basically, 90% of the time, I have to manually fix some settings in the nif. From blender, it's almost always the shader type (gets set to "default"  instead of "facehen map" or "skin map" or whatever)  and sometimes other things.

If it is still failing, can send me output file and see if I can see problems.

28 minutes ago, PaulGreen said:

However, microsoft has also released a command-line tool that can do this conversion to BC7:

Github project:

https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex ]

Latest pre-compiler release:

https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex/releases/tag/aug2018b ]

For anyone using GIMP, there is a simple plugin that will allow you to export directly to texconv and output a BC7 file:

https://gist.github.com/Equinox-/19d726d4c9cd59f8617429b3a6a8e16c#file-readme

It's very basic and only loads and saves BC7 files, but if that's what you're making a lot of it's handy.