Why do people continue to mod Bethesda games?

BeowulfMKII

People should rather ask why Bethesda is the only one to make these kind of games while everyone else copies the Ubisoft/Rockstar formula of open world games. I mean, even a personal favorite of mine, Mount&Blade (Bannerlord when?) takes a few shortcuts when doing open world, such as having a map where travel happens instead of you actually being able to travel physically through the world. Another example could be ArmA, but these games aren't RPGs.

Games where the player is subject to the very same rules as any other NPC are kinda rare.

I popped over to Nexus today just to check things out as far as FO4 modding goes.  FO4 has about the same number of mods as FO3 but outside of a few (less than 5) innovative mods I didn't see jack shit to warrant 14,000+ mods for FO4.  WTF are people making?  Bad retextures of vanilla stuff, ports of the same hair mods available in Skyrim, CBBE armor conversions, and so on.

FO4 has been out for 10 months.  10 months after FO3 came out the nifscripts for Blender were done, FOSE was stable, dimon99 had completed v1 of Type3, AlexScorpion was beta testing the Pipboy Readius, and so on.  Sure there were a few Oblivion ports but they weren't the meat and bones of FO3 modding the way Skyrim content is for FO4.  So where's the NEW content for FO4?  Is everything going to be something we've already seen (and grown bored with) in Skyrim?

Nifskope for FO4 is in perpetual dev status, there still aren't nifscripts so hacking in and out of Blender 2.49 is the only way to model FO4 unless people can afford 3DMax, F4SE still has problems (from what I've read), FO4 has the same problems as Skyrim as far as animations go, etc.

These aren't auspicious omens for FO4 modding.  I see A LOT of people who could be modding FO4 returning to Skyrim, and some of those people are looking at Enderal as 'the next game to mod'.  Even MxR Mods on Youtube admits he's having a hard time finding mods to support a FO4 Mods Weekly channel (he's back doing Skyrim again).

I don't really care since I'm done with FO4.  I just find it odd that for all of the fanboy defending and Bethesda hype dick all is being done with this 'fantastic' game of theirs.

I popped over to Nexus today just to check things out as far as FO4 modding goes.  FO4 has about the same number of mods as FO3 but outside of a few (less than 5) innovative mods I didn't see jack shit to warrant 14,000+ mods for FO4.  WTF are people making?  Bad retextures of vanilla stuff, ports of the same hair mods available in Skyrim, CBBE armor conversions, and so on.

FO4 has been out for 10 months.  10 months after FO3 came out the nifscripts for Blender were done, FOSE was stable, dimon99 had completed v1 of Type3, AlexScorpion was beta testing the Pipboy Readius, and so on.  Sure there were a few Oblivion ports but they weren't the meat and bones of FO3 modding the way Skyrim content is for FO4.  So where's the NEW content for FO4?  Is everything going to be something we've already seen (and grown bored with) in Skyrim?

Nifskope for FO4 is in perpetual dev status, there still aren't nifscripts so hacking in and out of Blender 2.49 is the only way to model FO4 unless people can afford 3DMax, F4SE still has problems (from what I've read), FO4 has the same problems as Skyrim as far as animations go, etc.

These aren't auspicious omens for FO4 modding.  I see A LOT of people who could be modding FO4 returning to Skyrim, and some of those people are looking at Enderal as 'the next game to mod'.  Even MxR Mods on Youtube admits he's having a hard time finding mods to support a FO4 Mods Weekly channel (he's back doing Skyrim again).

I don't really care since I'm done with FO4.  I just find it odd that for all of the fanboy defending and Bethesda hype dick all is being done with this 'fantastic' game of theirsA

Agreed! Personally i am enjoying fallout 4 a bit more than usual due to some mods buuut i do have to admit at the same time the mods aren't anything spectacular. I was expecting some game changing ones by now. I mean everyone was like "WELL once we get the CK we'll be able to do TONS of mods" and we have it..and..well, not much going on. 

I mean it would be cool to see ported mods and stuff, its not like they have to do them completely from scratch, I mean, modders have learned so much from modding the fallout games and skyrim, you would think we would be seeing a lot more for fallout 4. 

Personally im waiting for a full f4se ihud and enhanced camera hehe.

Statistics of today for games played on Steam:

285.438 965.343   Dota 2
46.382 46.382   Rocket League
45.829 57.525   Team Fortress 2
35.951 51.654   ARK: Survival Evolved
31.503 39.964   Sid Meier's Civilization V
25.665 31.154   Fallout 4
25.466 32.017   Garry's Mod
24.456 36.368   Rust
23.800 51.192   Football Manager 2016
19.071 25.609   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
18.306 27.883   Warframe
18.082 31.336   unturned
17.812 41.714   Grand Theft Auto V

(first number is the current players playing, second number is the max number of concurrent players at the time of the page generation)

FO4 and Skyrim have a really close number of players.

I am trying to get a statistics from Nexus about number of mods/period of time (not easy to get it, requires a bung of queries to Nexus), but looks like that the number of mods for FO4 has pretty much the same speed of Skyrim (don't get this a gold, I did only a dozen queries.)

For sure FO4 is less appealing than Skyrim. Bad game? Not in my opinion. Of course, I prefer other games (Skyrim, XCOM2, Witcher 3, Assassin Creed Syndicate just to name a few) for quality of implementation and willingness to play it again (Yep, I did not yet play Nuka World. It is downloaded, not yet played, and probably it will be not for a long while.)

Is FO4 dead? No.

Is FO4 less appealing than Skyrim? I would say yes.

I don't really care since I'm done with FO4.  I just find it odd that for all of the fanboy defending and Bethesda hype dick all is being done with this 'fantastic' game of theirsA

Agreed! Personally i am enjoying fallout 4 a bit more than usual due to some mods buuut i do have to admit at the same time the mods aren't anything spectacular. I was expecting some game changing ones by now. I mean everyone was like "WELL once we get the CK we'll be able to do TONS of mods" and we have it..and..well, not much going on. 

I mean it would be cool to see ported mods and stuff, its not like they have to do them completely from scratch, I mean, modders have learned so much from modding the fallout games and skyrim, you would think we would be seeing a lot more for fallout 4. 

There are two reasons why we don't have quality mods as you say.  1)  The game is still being constantly patched.  So utilities like F4SE need to be updated constantly.  Plus we don't know when the last dlc will be released.  2)  The CK is buggy.

Statistics of today for games played on Steam:

285.438 965.343   Dota 2
46.382 46.382   Rocket League
45.829 57.525   Team Fortress 2
35.951 51.654   ARK: Survival Evolved
31.503 39.964   Sid Meier's Civilization V
25.665 31.154   Fallout 4
25.466 32.017   Garry's Mod
24.456 36.368   Rust
23.800 51.192   Football Manager 2016
19.071 25.609   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
18.306 27.883   Warframe
18.082 31.336   unturned
17.812 41.714   Grand Theft Auto V

(first number is the current players playing, second number is the max number of concurrent players at the time of the page generation)

FO4 and Skyrim have a really close number of players.

I am trying to get a statistics from Nexus about number of mods/period of time (not easy to get it, requires a bung of queries to Nexus), but looks like that the number of mods for FO4 has pretty much the same speed of Skyrim (don't get this a gold, I did only a dozen queries.)

For sure FO4 is less appealing than Skyrim. Bad game? Not in my opinion. Of course, I prefer other games (Skyrim, XCOM2, Witcher 3, Assassin Creed Syndicate just to name a few) for quality of implementation and willingness to play it again (Yep, I did not yet play Nuka World. It is downloaded, not yet played, and probably it will be not for a long while.)

Is FO4 dead? No.

Is FO4 less appealing than Skyrim? I would say yes.

It's not a bad progressing sandbox crafting shooter, it's not really an rpg in any sense of the word. Hell ME3 is more of an RPG than FO4 is, and considering how that ended...

and I'm sure that's why it's pretty popular, you don't have to consider anything. Just do the assigned thing until the ding noise happens and you're "playing the game". Jump in, jump out; no big decisions no consequences that limit or change anything other than the face of a generic npc your getting the same exact "quest" from.

My question is how did such an experienced team working with 60 (so basically a 160% upgrade in staff/hour) more experienced people than the last go round take this long to make this little change in the format.

My question is how did such an experienced team working with 60 (so basically a 160% upgrade in staff/hour) more experienced people than the last go round take this long to make this little change in the format.

Here my guess: because a game "difficult to fail" is more appealing to gamers that will buy it just because?

Of course, I don't know the ideas of who held the strategy for the game (for sure not Hines nor Howard) but they are done to gain money.

Probably because of how open it is to modding.

As a sandbox "make your own story" kind of game, Bethesda games tend to lend themselves to a high variety of mods. Couple that with the fact that Bethesda themselves make it rather easy to mod (compared to other games) and you get the result we have.

The quality of the game doesn't matter, nor the company.

What matters is that any guy, the quest maker, the texture expert, the gameplay innovator, all have the tools to change the game their way. The games themselves can be lacking, or have huge flaws, be it technical or personal, but that doesn't change what can be done with it.

Let's look at Dark Souls. It's a great game with amazing gameplay. The modding community around it is not that big however. Most of it is weapons, armors and retextures, with some UI changes. That's because it doesn't lend itself great to modding : Not only is there no creation kit, but being more of a combat-oriented game with no real quest, it's harder to come up with ideas to begin with? New quests, adventures? Maybe territories, but that's about it.

Bethesda games aren't perfect, but they're the most moddable games out there. A saying goes "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth", and while I wouldn't apply it to everything in life, it definitely applies here.

Even Witcher 3, even if it had as big modding support, would probably have a hard time catching up to Bethesda games, as Geralt is the character and this is his story, unlike Skyrim, where the Dragonborn can be anyone. You don't even have to be Dragonborn, where Witcher wouldn't make much sense if Geralt just stopped being one. Witcher 3 is openworld, but not a sandbox. And as far as moddable sandbox game, the only concurrent is what, Minecraft?.

Totaly agree. Its because of the open world and all the potential in it that makes most of their games worthy. I don't touch Fallout, IMHO its meh. And if I have to choose between Oblivion and Skyrim, I'd choose Oblivion. Although I kinda wish that the graphic engine is like Skyrim. If only they would release Oblivion as free for the market, I'm pretty sure someone would probably turn the code to another engine like Unity.

There are two reasons why we don't have quality mods as you say.  1)  The game is still being constantly patched.  So utilities like F4SE need to be updated constantly.  Plus we don't know when the last dlc will be released.  2)  The CK is buggy.

"cough" NUKA WORLD "cough"

Why do haters hate on Bethesda games? I mean seriously.

Every major game from them has been hugely successful, and continues to be very popular years after its release.

Yet forum trolls yell "they don't give a fuck about the community" whenever they feel ignored, or un-loved, or don't have anything better to say about a publisher.

Modders are a small, if important, part of the player community. 

Would you yell about a game which uses the latest Unreal engine because "that's just the ancient Unreal engine, I mean yes they updated it and I have no clue what that included but it still has the same name so it's old"?

Lemme guess, you'd prefer the strategic, painfully difficult kind of combat system that ensures that titles like "Mount and Blade" will never be successful in the mainstream?

Have you considered how much more work it would be to turn a huge game world into a persistent world where every action has long lasting consequences? And how little impact that would have, since very few people remember an NPC five minutes after they've finished their business with him, and even fewer players ever try something like killing a central NPC?

You ought to say stuff about the magic system. You seem to imply that you find it lacking in some aspect, but your refusal to state your criticism explicitly makes you sound arrogant.

"Laughable graphics"? Do you really need the kind of HDR-bloomed kitsch that is so popular now?

I mean yes, they could have included wobbly breasts and butts out of the box, and none of their games is the Ultimate Game, the Game to End All Games, the one game that everyone on this planet loves. It's impossible to make that. 

So pls stop talking about how much you hate Skyrim and go hate on someone else. World of Warcraft maybe; I hear trolls nowadays love complaining about how dumbed down and easy everything has become. Or World of Tanks, where trolls love shouting about how pay to play it is, even if you don't have to spend cash. 

Bethesda games have a special brand of community though, namely that they simply won't shut up about a game no matter how hard they try to tell you that they don't really care. It has always been like that.

Oblivion was released - I'm going back to Morrowind! Oblivion is a casualized pile of dirt!

Fallout 3 came out - Lol it's Oblivion with guns, only worse!

Skyrim came out - Man such a dumbed down game, I'm going back to Oblivion!

FO4 came out - Something something dumbed down pile of dirt, I'm going back to Skyrim!

And if someone doesn't agree with your superior taste, they're a fanboy which has become a phrase simply describing someone who dares not to share your opinion. That's not to say these games aren't open for criticism, there were many mistakes made in each game and those should be highlighted and talked about. But 'Wah, why isn't Fallout 4 more like Witcher 3' isn't really any kind of valid criticism.

A game isn't good just because it caters to your specific needs and it isn't necessarily bad when it doesn't. Save the word fanboy for people who defend shit like micro transactions in full price games like Overwatch or the new Deus Ex.

Kendo 2, on 08 Sept 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:Kendo 2, on 08 Sept 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:Kendo 2, on 08 Sept 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:

WTF are people making?  Bad retextures of vanilla stuff, ports of the same hair mods available in Skyrim, CBBE armor conversions, and so on.

.  So where's the NEW content for FO4?  Is everything going to be something we've already seen (and grown bored with) in Skyrim?

Nifskope for FO4 is in perpetual dev status, there still aren't nifscripts so hacking in and out of Blender 2.49 is the only way to model FO4 unless people can afford 3DMax

It needs saying and I mean no offense to cell for all the skill and hard work involved in it but the unholy trio of outfit studio\cbbe\bodyslide is a big part of it.  Way fewer people learning to model or even do creative stuff with existing meshes due to laziness, lack of cooperation on scripts and development.

Even UNP spinoffs were more popular than cbbe but it was rushed out for FO4 to make sure it got ahead while keeping successful export methods a trade secret and we're stuck with it now (because everybody has gotten used to adjustable nipples being a necessity).  A 40k or whatever poly mesh with no frigging definition on it. just look at all the awful screenies with smooth wax dolls on.

Trying to do anything else is swimming against a firmly established precedent.  I kept all my fo3\nv and skyrim stuff to myself anyway because it was mostly ripped/ported and using tweaked unp versions but I'm also not feeling inclined to release fo4 stuff for the modified vanilla body I use when it'll just be greeted with  "where is bodyslide?? CBBE version??" 

It will be *exactly* like this for TES 6 too - I guaran-fuckin-tee it.

fo4 got boring pretty quick, just lack of content. all the hardcore people that people who do meshes depend on for exporters kinda went afk, even f4se has been slow going. like the current nif exporter for max is more or less broken. the only way to get max to export working skyrim nifs is to not use any of the actual skyrim stuff. materials for example, if you use the niftools shader stupid shit happens like alpha gets set to 0.01, but the default shaders like blinn get converted fine.

kendo's allowed to feel the way he does but it doesn't make it any more lulzy. the biggest problem is that the low level hackers went quiet, which left the artists and content monkies hanging in the wind. you can't call bullshit on that, because show me how to make a working mesh with dismemberment, you can't, without stupid amounts of hacking around in nifskope.

the animation tools are even in a sadder state, the most simple straight forward method using kf framed files blabs told me the other week that they completely dropped support for that in the exporter. "so its impossible to make animations now" "unless you use the old max we make fun of you for using"

i havent even seen skyrim as a bethesda game in a long time tbh. so many mods which are essential just to get through it. to me its just a framework they released to build on. bethesda just has this amazing habit of making modable games without releasing any of the tools needed to do so.

It needs saying and I mean no offense to cell for all the skill and hard work involved in it but the unholy trio of outfit studio\cbbe\bodyslide is a big part of it.  Way fewer people learning to model or even do creative stuff with existing meshes due to laziness, lack of cooperation on scripts and development.

Even UNP spinoffs were more popular than cbbe but it was rushed out for FO4 to make sure it got ahead while keeping successful export methods a trade secret and we're stuck with it now (because everybody has gotten used to adjustable nipples being a necessity).  A 40k or whatever poly mesh with no frigging definition on it. just look at all the awful screenies with smooth wax dolls on.

Trying to do anything else is swimming against a firmly established precedent.  I kept all my fo3\nv and skyrim stuff to myself anyway because it was mostly ripped/ported and using tweaked unp versions but I'm also not feeling inclined to release fo4 stuff for the modified vanilla body I use when it'll just be greeted with  "where is bodyslide?? CBBE version??" 

It will be *exactly* like this for TES 6 too - I guaran-fuckin-tee it.

First of all, thanks for keeping it non-personal and acknowledging the hard work.

Still, I have to weigh in on a few mistakes in your (and Kendo's) "facts".

First, the biggest problem of CBBE for Skyrim was the huge base shape it had, and the initial versions were pretty big, combined with the lack of a few polygons. Both things are fixed in FO4. It has tons of polygons to make sure every shape and slider can look smooth, and the base shape is more neutral and easier to work with in 3D programs.

Second, we didn't rush out CBBE for FO4. Yes, we tried to work very efficiently and fast on it, and Caliente did it pretty well.

That doesn't mean it ends up bad or rushed. After v1.0 was released, there wasn't much to do with the body mesh itself, because it was good enough and the sliders provide all options people need.

Only looking at one or two presets and saying "it looks so barbie smooth" is pretty.... well straight up wrong (unless they're too ignorant to use BodySlide to MAKE a shape YOU actually like instead of complaining, and having it work with all outfits).

For every person who loves UNP for what it is and doesn't need or want to customize it, there's 100 other people who want to customize it. We're giving that option with BodySlide, and it's not worse than tweaking a body in the oh-so-holy 3ds max (which will need everything converted to it). Bear in mind you can still do manual work in 3ds max, for both the outfit itself and the slider, even when working with BodySlide or Outfit Studio.

Third, we never kept our "successful export methods" a trade secret. In fact, RIGHT AFTER Outfit Studio was released, Nightasy uploaded a video series to YouTube explaining exactly the SAME steps Caliente used to get the CBBE mesh from Maya into Outfit Studio and then into the FO4 engine. Without Outfit Studio, we wouldn't even have gotten the body into FO4 to begin with during the first weeks. We coded our importer outselves AND released it.

TL;DR: Stop complaining and do it better. If people want to use CBBE, then they'll use CBBE, regardless of what you think of it, which should give you a few reasons to reconsider your narrow-mindedness.

Also, even if Outfit Studio sucked and everyone using it sucked, you still need to learn ZBrush, 3ds max and/or Maya and Photoshop to actually create a new outfit from scratch. Thinking that OS makes people too lazy to create new outfits is straight up bull. In fact, it probably makes people want to create more outfits from scratch, because they want to tweak them to the BodySlide preset they like and get them into the game more easily.

I guess this wasn't a TL;DR. :P

EDIT: Oh and about the actual topic.

Yes, Bethesda games can be modded very well, both from the technical side and the logical side (open world RPG).

However recently the tools made by modders get less and less and updated fewer times.

Outfit Studio can do everything you need to do with body/outfit NIFs for Skyrim and FO4, even partitions and segments now.

Of course there's still a few issues, but 3ds max and Blender have just as many if not more.

[...]

i actually prefer to weight paint with outfit studio. much more straight forward for what should be a simple operation, and crashes less than max. i been telling people lately to just make their skin in max so it exports and finish that up in OS.

it sure would be nice to have a smooth/blend weight brush that works like the smooth mesh, just, with paint. but still.

@ cell

Meh.  BUT I did find this interesting.

Also, even if Outfit Studio sucked and everyone using it sucked, you still need to learn ZBrush, 3ds max and/or Maya and Photoshop to actually create a new outfit from scratch. Thinking that OS makes people too lazy to create new outfits is straight up bull. In fact, it probably makes people want to create more outfits from scratch, because they want to tweak them to the BodySlide preset they like and get them into the game more easily.

What you have in green validates what I've been saying all along.  As for the "it probably makes people want to create more outfits from scratch" bit.  Yeah, that ain't happening.  Original content continues to trickle through OutfitStudio content poaching and the results get uploaded as 'mods'.  It's been like that since day one and the FO4 version isn't any different, aside from there not being any FO4 UNP mods to poach.  Everyone knows this is true so it is what it is.  You guys did everything you could to create the current FO4 body modding climate...so enjoy it.  :lol:

@ cell

Meh.  BUT I did find this interesting.

What you have in green validates what I've been saying all along.  As for the "it probably makes people want to create more outfits from scratch" bit.  Yeah, that ain't happening.  Original content continues to trickle through OutfitStudio content poaching and the results get uploaded as 'mods'.  It's been like that since day one and the FO4 version isn't any different, aside from there not being any FO4 UNP mods to poach.  Everyone knows this is true so it is what it is.  You guys did everything you could to create the current FO4 body modding climate...so enjoy it.  :lol:

I'm enjoying it, thanks. :)

I prefer mesh rigger over outfit studios add bone nodes and weight painting as mesh rigger adds a needed layer between the body and the outfit to prevent clipping. The only time that I need to use outfit studio to do it is when a outfit part is too far away from any nodes so it didn't get any weight painting.

Because modding is fun.

It gives us a creative canvas.

I don't know of many other 3D games that has the same modding tools and pool of people working together. Warband comes to mind, but that is more a tactical game, rather than a single player focus.

Well, I hate FO4 so a derivative rip of the vanilla Skyrim female Astrid body being 'the body mod' for FO4 tickles the shit out of me.  It's one more nail in the creativity coffin for the game.

UNP mod page:

*Bethesda - base mesh for the body model, specular and normal maps.

*Caliente - for all her help with getting things working ingame, this mod would be never possible without you Cal,thanks a lot :)

EDIT: Another thing to confuse you:

If you open the original NIFs of the original UNP mod up in NifSkope, you will see that the root node is called "bbe2femalebody_0".

Now what does this mean? Correct, dimon used CBBE to create UNP with Caliente's help.

And what does that mean? Your argument is invalid.

CBBE used a Bethesda mesh and morphed it to no recognition.

UNP used an early CBBE mesh and morphed it to no recognition.

Well, I hate FO4 so a derivative rip of the vanilla Skyrim female Astrid body being 'the body mod' for FO4 tickles the shit out of me.  It's one more nail in the creativity coffin for the game.

UNP mod page:

*Bethesda - base mesh for the body model, specular and normal maps.

*Caliente - for all her help with getting things working ingame, this mod would be never possible without you Cal,thanks a lot :)

EDIT: Another thing to confuse you:

If you open the original NIFs of the original UNP mod up in NifSkope, you will see that the root node is called "bbe2femalebody_0".

Now what does this mean? Correct, dimon used CBBE to create UNP with Caliente's help.

And what does that mean? Your argument is invalid.

CBBE used a Bethesda mesh and morphed it to no recognition.

UNP used an early CBBE mesh and morphed it to no recognition.

WTF?  How does UNP figure in to anything you quoted?  You're bleating like a wounded sheep about Skyrim.  I'm talking about FO4.  OoooHh, you're rattled because you think I might blow the lid off of FO4 CBBE and spoil your little party.  No need to worry.  I'm glad CBBE/OutfitStudio/Whatever has a monopoly on FO4.  Lack of diversity and creativity and 'one-body-mod-to-rule-them-all' is what you and your fans wanted.  You guys RULE shit-stain FO4.

So shoo-shoo go away and revel in it.  Fuck man, stop being annoying.

EDIT:  Uhuh.  Looks like there will be some selective 'thread clean up' in this thread.  <_<

Archived