Why do people continue to mod Bethesda games?

BeowulfMKII

AAA is a bond rating, promising the best of the best...Ya know...like Bethesda hype.  "The next generation in open world gaming" Todd Howard kind of hype.  So yeah it is a rating system and I put it in quotations so people wouldn't intentionally take it out of context.

And I already said "I don't know" once to your reworded question but since we're repeating ourselves: "Can you point me to a Bethesda release that doesn't require players fixing it or addressing issues that shouldn't have been shipped with a supposedly 'AAA' $60 game?"

My guess would be 'NO' else you would have done it already.  That makes 'They give us a free CK so we can fix their broken shit' an accurate assessment.

Well not every one expects perfection, at least with modding tools we can fix bugs, how does the community go fixing bugs on $60 games without modding tools, I guess they can't.................

LOL Beth hype? Have you looked at the hype other game companies use?

"The next generation in open world gaming"? Sounds like something Linden Labs said in the 90's

Someone says "best of best" and you allocate it a AAA rating :P

You take it all, hook, line and sinker.

I guess you can't prove its been game industry rated AAA after all can you.........

Anyone who thinks that Bethesda games aren't "very buggy" is... well... delusional at best.

Most of the bugs I've encountered in FO3 and NV have been due to either mine or someone else's modding screw-ups. There are quite a few FONV scripted mods that caused a lot of issues for people. My own did at one stage till I worked out the issues.

Most CTD like issues people were having caused by scripted mods were "fixed" by other modders "crash fixer" type mods. I never used a crash fixer mod because once I narrowed down which mod was causing the issue I either fixed it or reported it to the author or removed it rather than hide it with a bandaid like most users did, most authors did nothing to fix the issue because they saw no short term issues, they had a magic crash fix mod running.

FO4 is no different, I'm finding ways to crash the CK and Game every week, most due to not knowing what I'm doing. And I bet there are other modders doing the same and releasing those mods too :)

"The next generation in open world gaming"? Sounds like something Linden Labs said in the 90's

Or Todd Howard on stage at E3 in 2015 when he was talking about FO4.

Someone says "best of best" and you allocate it a AAA rating  :P

That "someone" was me and I already clarified it once.  jeezus.

I guess you can't prove its been game industry rated AAA after all can you.........

There's nothing 'to prove' since I already explained where I got AAA from.  I never said it was a game rating and I explained that too.  If I had said 'blue ribbon' would you be knit-picking about that well-known non-game standard?  How about Academy Award, the Super Bowl trophy or the Stanley Cup?  Yeah, you probably would if you saw it as a chance to shut someone up if they're saying anything less than glowing about Bethesda or FO4.

But if you want to be technical about things DICE gave FO4 game of the year 2015 after the spanking it received by Witcher3 at the REAL awards show put on by TGA.  So evidently I can 'prove' that some in the industry gave that shit stain of a game a hypothetical AAA/blue ribbon/Academy Award/Super Bowl/Stanley Cup level rating.

There's nothing 'to prove' since I already explained where I got AAA from.  I never said it was a game rating and I explained that too.  If I had said 'blue ribbon' would you be knit-picking about that well-known non-game standard?  How about Academy Award, the Super Bowl trophy or the Stanley Cup?  Yeah, you probably would if you saw it as a chance to shut someone up if they're saying anything less than glowing about Bethesda or FO4.

But if you want to be technical about things DICE gave FO4 game of the year 2015 after the spanking it received by Witcher3 at the REAL awards show put on by TGA.  So evidently I can 'prove' that some in the industry gave that shit stain of a game a hypothetical AAA/blue ribbon/Academy Award/Super Bowl/Stanley Cup level rating.

Well its pretty obvious you will sprout any bullcrap to bash Beth if others like the game so enjoy your perfect isometric FO2 cause its probably the only FO you will ever like, you would still be whining if Sony, Blizzard or Obsidian did FO4 and canned the Creation Kit anyway.

You still can't put forward any non-Beth games with Creation Kits to support the original topic, and like any other FO3/NV/4 related thread you're only in this thread to BethBash, nothing more, that's sad way to use a modding forum.

EndEvent

I think having buggy games actually incentivises modding in a way, because it encourages players to tinker with the game and fix it. Same with graphics/animations/UI etc. If Bethesda games were perfect noone would need to mod them.

This is horse shit tbh. Take Half Life, 1 or 2 - both did what they set out to do pretty much perfectly. Granted, they were much narrower in scope but that's besides the point; There are a million and one mods for each of those games. 

Whether or not what you say here is true (that "Bugs incentivise modders"), it doesn't excuse Bethesda for not addressing the fucking mess that their games are.

Anyway, back to my point about HL. You can have a perfect game that does what it does great, but it probably won't have content, gameplay or aesthetics that fit everyone's wants, hence mods. If this weren't the case, people would still be playing HLDM instead of CS:GO or TF2 or Overwatch.

As to the OP question: I believe the reasons behind Bethryo garbage having such a large modding scene, especially with regards to adult content, is due to three things: One, the open-world; This allows for more varied context to each action within a given playthrough. Two, accessibility. From what I understand, it's relatively easy to mod these games (To a degree) apart from the troubleshooting part. And three, there's already a huge community around it and a wealth of information and tutorials on how to do so.

The unfortunate truth is that while there are definitely better games in the same genre, FO3 and Skyrim are massively popular, have relatively easy to learn modding tools and a basic gameplay "framework" in the open world that gives these mods a lot of room to affect it. 

Well its pretty obvious you will sprout any bullcrap to bash Beth if others like the game so enjoy your perfect isometric FO2 cause its probably the only FO you will ever like, you would still be whining if Sony, Blizzard or Obsidian did FO4 and canned the Creation Kit anyway.

You still can't put forward any non-Beth games with Creation Kits to support the original topic, and like any other FO3/NV/4 related thread you're only in this thread to BethBash, nothing more, that's sad way to use a modding forum.

EndEvent

You're only arguing semantics, which isn't any more mature. Valve has full tools, Witcher 1 and 2 have full tools, and as we can see from GTA and Mass Effect and every Capcom title made with Renderware/Criterion/Criware since Resident Evil 4, having a "kit" does not change modding endeavors or creation at all.

Furthermore id software used to provide tools and even source code with every game until being purchased by Bethesda, and now they don't. 

You're also failing to mention there is a large suite of tools used in conjunction with the Creation Kit that Bethesda has no interest giving open licenses for.

care about the community

Most employees were not remotely aware of the "community's" existence until paid modding was resoundingly decried, and very little of Bethesda's work force will ever interact with the public in any meaningful way, which is a slight step above BioWare's employee mandate to avoid their own forums at all costs.

They do not care about the community nor would they, and one of HR's actual graded responsibilities is making sure thing stay that way. Community Managers are hired completely separately from the company's main employee base for a reason, and this is standard industry practice and has been so for over a decade.

Actively headhunting smaller companies to open their Montreal studio with was not particularly friendly either.

Pilfering a public mod for the Far Harbor storyline wasn't exactly community forward, also.

I mean seriously.

Every game that comes from them is more bugged than the other.

No quality control at all.  

And it's clear that they don't give a s*** about the community. A community which is the reason why their games are popular.

I mean, I just plain disagree with everything you wrote there... so that should start to give you an idea of how my answer to your question begins.

Whether you disagree or not doesn't make what i said (the part that you quoted) false.

If what i said is false, then why did the current version of the USLEEP (3.0.5) fixed more than TWENTY THOUSAND BUGS?

This clearly demonstrates that my points are valid.

No, none of those points were valid.  It's just more of the hip, youtube reviewer fed cynicism that is so popular right now.  Everything I quoted there is completely false.  It's no secret that Bethesda have a symbiotic relationship with their modding community, but that in no way proves anything you said correct; in fact, it proves you completely wrong when you say they don't care about their community.  Their games were popular on consoles previous to Fallout 4 ( I played both Morrowind and Oblivion on console first ), which shows that the modding community is not the reason that they are popular.  As for the claim of no quality control, proven completely false by the rather sterling launch of Fallout 4 - I bought it right away, downloaded it that day, and started playing immediately and by the end of the first week had about 70 hours put in and only encountered 1 bug.  So as you can see, once you look at the facts, your statements are proven false.

Just because you only encountered one doesn't mean that there isn't more. Particularly the ones that run on the background without you knowing.

When Bethesda stops patching it let's see how many bugs will the unofficial patches fix. I can hardly wait to see the thousands of entries, just like in Skyrim.

Interesting read on the origin of AAA usage in the game industry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)

Who knew the original usage is a standard for bug testing prior to general release.  How ironic. 

PS:

The title of this thread is a loaded one and as expected it degenerates into a Beth bash/anti-bash cycle.  A better discussion would be "What current (or future) games people could mod instead of Bethesda titles?"

I WOULD mod Witcher3 if I could add my own quests and dungeons to the game.  I would do that just to extend the play time since I can't get enough of the rich world of TW3.  The only two bugs I see on a regular basis is Roach getting stuck on top of fences and other objects, and the flock NPC AI.  They need better path-finding.  Other than those two things I'd leave the game alone.

The stuff modders want to add to games (nude mods, character cosmetics, armor,/clothes, weapons, etc.) I wouldn't bother with for TW3.  In fact my game isn't modded at all.  It doesn't need mods to make it playable, look better, fix a mile-long list things the devs didn't, and so on.  The only things I've added to TW3 are the official DLCs and an ENB endorsed by ProjektRed.

Would I like to be able to add content to TW3 like is was a Bethesda game?  Of course, who wouldn't?  But the game doesn't need modded content like a Bethesda game does.  I'd like to be able to add more missions to ME3 too.  But like TW3, it's just not set up that way.  They are different styles of games.

I wish I could combine the corporate culture and mentality of ProjektRed, the skill level and commitment of their devs, the superior quality of their story telling, the voice acting, and everything else that makes Wittcher3 what it is; and combine that with a Bethesda style open world than can be modded...If that game ever got made I'd turn my back on Todd Howard's lies, Pete Hines' arrogance, Zenimax, Bethesda and everything they've ever made and mod for THAT GAME.  But 'that game' will most likely never be happen.  If it did, Bethesda would be in trouble.

I WOULD mod Witcher3 if I could add my own quests and dungeons to the game.  I would do that just to extend the play time since I can't get enough of the rich world of TW3.  The only two bugs I see on a regular basis is Roach getting stuck on top of fences and other objects, and the flock NPC AI.  They need better path-finding.  Other than those two things I'd leave the game alone.

The stuff modders want to add to games (nude mods, character cosmetics, armor,/clothes, weapons, etc.) I wouldn't bother with for TW3.  In fact my game isn't modded at all.  It doesn't need mods to make it playable, look better, fix a mile-long list things the devs didn't, and so on.  The only things I've added to TW3 are the official DLCs and an ENB endorsed by ProjektRed.

Would I like to be able to add content to TW3 like is was a Bethesda game?  Of course, who wouldn't?  But the game doesn't need modded content like a Bethesda game does.  I'd like to be able to add more missions to ME3 too.  But like TW3, it's just not set up that way.  They are different styles of games.

I wish I could combine the corporate culture and mentality of ProjektRed, the skill level and commitment of their devs, the superior quality of their story telling, the voice acting, and everything else that makes Wittcher3 what it is; and combine that with a Bethesda style open world than can be modded...If that game ever got made I'd turn my back on Todd Howard's lies, Pete Hines' arrogance, Zenimax, Bethesda and everything they've ever made and mod for THAT GAME.  But 'that game' will most likely never be happen.  If it did, Bethesda would be in trouble.

So is everyone else...  Does anyone know if Cyberpunk 2077 going to be that kind of game?  It's from a paper based role play game system, no?  Those games are usually designed to be modded. 

Supposedly CD Projekt Red has had its eyes on Beth's turf for a long while but felt that it cannot be done in TW because the series is about telling Geralt's story.

EDIT:

Just checked CDPR's development cycle, it looks like Cyberpunk 2077 won't be out the earliest until 2018.  So folks there you have it, Bethesda's monopolistic rein on the modding community won't be threatened for another 3 years. 

Bethesda 5 games track record of buggy open world games should be more than enough to set you up for what their game is going to be like. If you have/had issues with them why pick up the latest? and at $60?

I thought footage of FO4 was out before the release of the game, words were out by then.

Also no one really gives a fuck about video games award shows or any outlet's goty awards for that matter.

Reading between the lines, Bethesda marketing and on stage presence is a lot more "honest" than most really. You see what's in there, yes it has only 4 dialog choices, but they didn't hide it, it is right fucking there. They never claim to have a fix for their buggy nature none of those "we heard what our fans complaint about that's why we..." You see the ugly character model and the janky animations.

It is exactly "another one of those"

Good? meh, but same as always.

Why exactly is the Construction Kit lauded as a good thing?

- (Almost?) Everything it does can nowadays be accomplished by a third-party tool - which has been developed after release, because the CK...

• loads slowly (like all monolithic editors)
  • corrupts data on save - any part of a mod, without warning (e.g. several patch entries in USLEEP deal with that)
  • has no power user functionality nor plugin support)
And of course, Bethesda stops support for the CK when they stop support for the game. Third-party editors continue to receive bug fixes or may be superceded by other tools.

The existence of said third-party tools, however, stems from modder's initiative without Bethesda's help or consent.

Personally, I have always fund the CK to be a modding deterrent vs. open or standard file formats, which can be modified with the toolset of choice.

Consider vs. this e.g. Paradox Interactive's games, which consist of

• plain text files
  • standard format files
  • files which the game itself may regenerate
Admittedly, their limited scripting language is a downer, but the setup is vastly superior to Bethesda's... is it not?

Please also take care to note that the following utilities are provided by modders without help from Bethesda:

• any .nif or Havok file format exporter
  • ENB
  • The mod manager of your choice
  • LOOT
  • OBGE
  • SKSE and its predecessors
  • TES5Edit which is also TES4Edit or TES3Edit as required
  • USLEEP and its predecessors
Do those exist despite being necessary? Would it not be easier to use standard tools for the job e.g. TES5Edit does - if only the file format would allow that?

There is nothing keeping people from writing something like SKSE for Mount & Blade, there was nothing that kept them from writing it for Warcraft 3 or Vampires: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Betheda has not done any magic trick that would make their game easier to hack than other games.

(Except for, if you recall, the time where they shipped Skyrim - Was it just pre-1.3 or even later? - without compiler optimisations; how someone who implements their own memory layout, their own threading model, their own virtual machine for scripts could get that idea is firmly beyond me.)

Providing a Turing-complete scripting language is arguably a plus. That was in Morrowind already, but it did not interface well with the game. With all the issues Papyrus has and all the grief it causes modders, I wonder: is it better now or worse.

- Especially considering the late discovery that ActionScript may be used to provide functionality traditionally thought to be Papyrus' domain; and without all the issues, because that is actually made by professionals. Of course it never occured to Bethesda to use a well-established standardised scripting language, rather than waste development resources on creating yet another proprietary one. It could have been Lua. Or Python. Or Java; remember the SDK for Vampires: The Masquerade - Redemption? What a mess, but rather more powerful than anything Bethesda ever provided!

... Myself, I never picked modding Bethesda games back up after Morrowind.

Has anyone ever told you, that you're so god damn beautiful?

No.  Outside a few rare instances everyone hates me.  I'm too blunt, too rude, too crude, too truthful in my assessments of fucked up situations, etc.  And since LL has become yet another spigot for Tumblr-style SJW/PC vomit the detractor ranks are swelling.  Not only against me, but everyone here like me.  But that is a tale for another time.  :D

I don't hate you.  I just feel bad for you.  You've let your obsession with meaningless things turn you into a miserable, hateful person.  Or at least, that's how you come across in your posts.  If I could say anything to you, it would be "Cheer up.  Video games."

Oh come one, it is not brainier that beth games that are modded run on old shit engine that everyone knows and require less research to swap from old to new tittle. That's why it has one of more active communities. Also beth devs fuck up modding attempts(systematically) by not including basic addtions that has to be added by skse or fins ect. So saying that they are in hand with modders its a big misunderstanding.

Also no one really gives a fuck about video games award shows or any outlet's goty awards for that matter.

If noone would give a fuck then these shows wouldnt be done in the first place.

Nothing is being done without a meaning, especially in the game industry.

Marketing and core development are two very different things, and as we've seen with several entertainment awards recently, they are more popularity contests and political pats on the back than they are genuine acknowledgement of technical and artistic excellence.

Geoff Keighley, the patron of the TGAs has said on record that his awards are essentially made up and whatever he decides them to be, and he's been in two different journalistic "scandals" involving bias and outright collusion.

The Spike VGAs were cancelled because of ratings, if they were about "excellence" it wouldn't matter what ratings they got.

The DICE awards have been criticized almost every year for picking political games as "games of the year" in certain categories including games that don't even contain more than an hour or two of gameplay and are entirely political or "socially trendy"  in nature.

The Academy Awards were just recently outed as being essentially entirely political, with committee members often not even having seen the movies they were giving the winning award to, in many cases.

The only major entertainment awards show that has avoided any issue like that is the Grammys, which is then often criticized for being "out of touch" because they don't pick popular artists or songs that the public feel should simply win outright.

I'm not dismissing your point, mind you, but to say "for a reason" doesn't mean that they are some kind of magical yardstick that can't be considered biased, because they very clearly are.

Marketing and core development are two very different things, and as we've seen with several entertainment awards recently, they are more popularity contests and political pats on the back than they are genuine acknowledgement of technical and artistic excellence.

Geoff Keighley, the patron of the TGAs has said on record that his awards are essentially made up and whatever he decides them to be, and he's been in two different journalistic "scandals" involving bias and outright collusion.

The Spike VGAs were cancelled because of ratings, if they were about "excellence" it wouldn't matter what ratings they got.

The DICE awards have been criticized almost every year for picking political games as "games of the year" in certain categories including games that don't even contain more than an hour or two of gameplay and are entirely political or "socially trendy"  in nature.

The Academy Awards were just recently outed as being essentially entirely political, with committee members often not even having seen the movies they were giving the winning award to, in many cases.

The only major entertainment awards show that has avoided any issue like that is the Grammys, which is then often criticized for being "out of touch" because they don't pick popular artists or songs that the public feel should simply win outright.

I'm not dismissing your point, mind you, but to say "for a reason" doesn't mean that they are some kind of magical yardstick that can't be considered biased, because they very clearly are.

Im well aware of that, wich is why i said, nothing is being done without meaning.

The biggest business is arround people who buy stuff based on hype and these shows are a part of that.

Not that i dont agree with you, just saying, if these shows wouldnt have an impact, they wouldnt do them in the first place.

The reason is it gets eyes on the outlet (usually website) or the "show" which leads to income of various source, and some people find it entertaining.

I mean nothing really wrong with that, and if people gets a kick out of them, sure why not.

But it is really no different than a review of reviews of a year of games from various people or groups of people (read: highly variable from person to person.)

Which then leads into games review and/or critics, the state of it, its usefulness in current times, the various outlets, the whole can of worms, and we don't have time for that.

Well, before I was banned at Nexus I was a 'Bethesda Modder'; and probably one of the most prolific.  The day I was banned they deleted 35 pages worth of mods for Oblivion, FO3, NV and Skyrim.  Not 35 mods, 35 pages worth of mods.  I think I had 348 mods uploaded there.  So it can't be said I didn't support Bethesda modding or that I didn't like doing it.

There were times when NV was hot and then at the beginning of Skyrim where I was fed up with the new crowd of fans and their 'gonna take old school modders down a notch' mentality.  But they were just mod theives or my-mommy-says-I'm-special Millennial beta males, so I didn't care.  I trudged onward.

What stopped me in my tracks was when I first read the FO4 eula and saw that Bethesda/Zenimax was trying to claim that ANYTHING made to work with their Tinker Toy game belonged to them.  Not just scripts and esps/esms, but everything; meshes, textures, music, sound fx, independent processes, etc.  If it is packaged and made to work with FO4 the modder surrenders all instance of creation rights.  I pointed this out to in few threads and I was met with shout-downs about how wrong I was.  Uhuh.  Then Bethesda.net goes online and guess what?  If a mod is submitted there the uploader surrenders control and creative rights over the material.  That was the nail in the coffin for me and legitimate Bethesda modding.  The only content I make for Bethesda games now are things they don't want; fucking, rape, bestiality, etc.

The piss-poor quality of their games (especially FO4) aside, it is the piss-poor attitude of the companies involved that prevents me from making things I normally would (weapons, clothing, armor, clutter).  Now everything I make involves nude body mods or sex because I know Bethesda doesn't like them and they won't end up on that fuck-tard sweat shop Bethesda.net.

First, i still don't have FO4, i don't know it or it's EULA. I see your point there, and probably i wouldn't react different as a modder (and as a player, i can't say i'm sorry for that, i'm probably more intrested in your adult stuff than another armor, can't compare it, though. ;))

My hope is, that they'll won't use that EULA point too much and added it just because of consoles and even then only for fixes/not without asking permission anyways. I hope that because i think the modding community WILL find an alternative if they abuse this thing. And i like Beth games. I've added some nice clothes in Oblivion and FO3, that's all about my experience with mods before i started with Skyrim. I've played Morrowind, Oblivion and FO3 without mods several times and without gamebreaking bugs, and still less crashes than my now heavy moded Skyrim (like, once a day maybe).

So i don't think their games are crap, i've played much worse AAA titles, most games of Ubisoft for example (of course, that there is somebody worse is not really a good point, there always is), but imho AAA just says: that's the amount of money we've put into advertising. It doesn't say anything about the work or qualitiy of the game. I don't think they are that good that i'd pre-order them or buy at release anymore, but i don't regret the 40 bucks i've spent last year for Skyrim + DLCs, but crap is a bit too harsh imho, i wouldn't play a crappy game even if it's for free. But i have to admit, i care less about bugs than about gameplay, atmosphere and story, so maybe it's just a preference thing.

I mean seriously.

Every game that comes from them is more bugged than the other.

No quality control at all.  

And it's clear that they don't give a s*** about the community. A community which is the reason why their games are popular.

Would you play Skyrim on PC without any mods? Probably not.

They don't even implement a reliable debug system so that modders can know what caused a crash and so on.

For example look at Stalker: COP. When the game crashes a message box is displayed explaining exactly what caused the crash, be a texture or a script.

If you got a CTD in Skyrim/FO4 and don't find any information on the net, you're on your own, needing to resort to hours of testing until the culprit is found.

The newest game still uses the same (but "updated") engine as Morrowind

Combat in their games is crap. No combat mechanics. No strategy needed.

The player actions have no weight in the game world. You murder everyone in riverwood and the only thing you need to do is pay the bounty and is almost like it didn't happen.

Kill the emperor: get a sad remark from a guard.

I don't need to say anything about the Magic system.

Instead of learning from the community and implementing the best ideas, the games all continue the same.

And not to say the laughable graphics that their games use compared to other same generation titles. They don't even bother trying to keep up because they know that the community is going to release mods that will.

The animations are junk.

The game physics are non-existent.

The company Motto is "Why bother fixing the game, when the community will fix it for us?"

Why?

that is your opinion, something others here more than likely doesn't agree with and secondly your arguments are not valid at all. If people want to mod their games then they are welcome to and they mod the games because of passion and because they want to, they enjoy the games that they play. I am sure people will mod Skyrim for many more years and with the Skyrim Special Edition coming out in october there will be more mods for that as well once the skse team creates a new skse for it since the current skse will not work on it when it comes out

Archived