Paid mods and Bethesda announcement on the E3

Bethesda: Only NEW and ORIGINAL content will be allowed

Users: Ok, Hellfire and stealth suit are already out though.

Bethesda: Yeah but that's something WE created a long time ago so we can use it.

.....so it's not new or original................

nice catch. they're just making it up as they go and their words are worthless. do they even know/care how they're being perceived? they can't be ignorant to the hate that is brewing. most gaming media outlets and forums are trashing this. how are they gonna respond?

They're gonna respond the same way Bioware did. We've received so much feedback, some positive, some critical. xD

Just brush it off

Exactly. They have made up their minds that CC is here to stay. They knew there was no good way to do this so they just said fuck- it and went ahead. Unless their sales are just abysmal CC will continue. The concern is will they start going back on their word about other promises they have made- like enforcing copyright to pull down competing free mods. They can totally fuck the community and just focus on console alone.

If only didn't they force updates onto the player base, most people would likely be able to ignore the Creation Club in the same way that users of The Sims 3 could ignore the micro-transactions shop in that game's launcher.

Unless Zenimax is substantially worse than Electronic Arts is, they won't take any steps to curtail the modding community's output in any way whatsoever simply because they have a micro-transaction shop in the main menus. They might start getting celebrity branded in-game items or officially licensed real world product DLC, though. Seeing Katy Perry's face plastered all over the place in the Wasteland might make some people wish that another volley of nukes would come along to finish the job.

"New and original content" means something else to most users than to people in the entertainment business, ie: it's especially made for that purpose, not bound by someone else's copyright, etc. It doesn't mean 'absolutely unique and groundbreaking in both concept and execution'.  When they announce a 'new, original' TV series, it's bound to be just another cop show.

There's plenty to complain about the CC, but this hellfire/stealth armor thing... If there's no actual asset theft, then what we're accusing beth of is copying someone's idea to copy an idea from beth. No matter how you turn it, you can't allow one without allowing the other. If I allow someone to copy from me, I couldn't possibly take them seriously if they accused me of stealing their idea if I decided to copy that same thing from myself for another purpose.

I for one am not accusing Bethesda of stealing or plagiarism.

What I am doing is pointing out their bad faith; regardless of who's idea it was and that both versions were built from scratch, the fact remains that Bethesda put up two mods for sale that have extremely similar free equivalents.

This rather shows the attitude they have going into this and how they will twist their own promises to suit themselves.

This might be sort of an unpopular opinion, but am I the only one who thinks Eli's stuff is awfully overrated?

I use her Pride Flags for Fallout 4 and they are very nice. 

That house near V88 was also cool but i dislike mods that add homes full of shit, i prefer to build stuff on my own. 

What else she got ? 

EDIT : i actually checked - looks nice but its mostly some graphical shit, nothing on the level of Ordinator, Frostfall or Hunterborn. 

I mean, she has nice mods, but that's it, there's nothing exciting to be found in Eli's downloads. And personally, I find all her homes WAY TOO CLAUSTROPHOBIC (there's a difference between a fancy house and house owned by a person with Diogenes Syndrome).

I find her houses to be simply too clutered ( im going by the screenshots and the one Chestnut Lodge i actually had ). There is too much shit and it simply doesnt feel "mine" to me, it feels like im in someone elses house. 

But thats just me, i prefer the tools to build my own stuff rather than get the stuff pre built and done for me. 

This, this is exactly what I think.

Well, if we would take them word by word about all of the cc content being new and original, then they are definitely not living up to it.

Despite the hellfire and chinese stealth armor being their creations, they are hardly new and original.

Divinity 2: Developer's Cut is a good open world rpg that uses the gamebryo engine. Developed by Larian Studios, it is a fun game with the main draw being that you can turn into a dragon at will. It does not shine in any one particular area, but it is a solid game with believable and fun characters and quests with a decent amount of world to explore. Many never heard of it- but it is definitely worth a look. I have looked for mods for it and have found very little. Not sure why. But it has possibilities for modding doesn't it? Just looking for games to help wean us off the Beth games. The best way to deal with this is to find projects to work on that have nothing to do with Beth/Zen. Amirite?

Divinity 2: Developer's Cut is a good open world rpg that uses the gamebryo engine. Developed by Larian Studios, it is a fun game with the main draw being that you can turn into a dragon at will. It does not shine in any one particular area, but it is a solid game with believable and fun characters and quests with a decent amount of world to explore. Many never heard of it- but it is definitely worth a look. I have looked for mods for it and have found very little. Not sure why. But it has possibilities for modding doesn't it? Just looking for games to help wean us off the Beth games. The best way to deal with this is to find projects to work on that have nothing to do with Beth/Zen. Amirite?

It's not really open world is it? IIRC it's split up into zones.

Regardless, it's a rather old game and doesn't have any mod support.

The unfortunate fact is that the modding community for Bethesda games was slowly built up over many years since the release of Morrowind, back when Bethesda not only supported modders, but released several official mods (for free) to demonstrate what the community could do.

This was back when the developers were interested in having fun and giving their game longevity rather than the publisher seeing dollar signs everywhere.

So in theory people could move on to other games, in practice it would take a lot of time and effort and support from the developers.

I doubt Larian would do much with Divinity 2 at this point as they're concentrating on their Original Sin series, which looks good but aren't exactly open-world.

The only developers I've seen even try to go ahead with modding support is CDPR, however until they make a game that actually allows for role playing their mod community will remain tepid at best. So we're stuck with Bethesda, and Bethesda know it. That's why they can abuse the modding community the way they are.

.... why would bethesda give up CC??? Really, there is any reason???

Apparently you weren't there when the Judases backed by Warez sites got hanged for treason in 2003-2004 on the Nexus. The purge within the com that gives a fuck on who you are and what glorious mods you might have produced, that cuts Beth off from what she needs most for the deal - willing fools - that is what she fears most. At this stage her strategy is 'divide & conquer', an often successful strategy that isn't that new.

Of course, don't let the door hit the willing on their way out, but we should at least make clear that this is a one-way trip for them, whatever fortune they might seek beyond the horizon...

Indeed i wasn't there, i start in modding in 2012 with skyrim, and i am not a huge gamer, i still have games in my steam that i don't even play yet...

The problem i see now, we have some crap business tactics from almost all companies, i don't know anyone who love EA, and still EA makes a lot of money with their games, love and respect will not give bethesda money, console players will pay 5 dollars for a stupid gun with a smile on their face, because they are used to this.

I don't think PC gamers will pay anything for this, we have lots of content and is much more easy to pirate CC them buying it, example... you go to steam, select the credits you want to buy, credit card, wait for authorization, release the credits, open fo4, go to CC and buy the stuff, to pirate you just download the file with all the ESL and copy to the data folder, done, faster and easier, bethesda care? Nop... because the money will come from console players, they don't give a fu** to pc players...

Because of this, i think they could just give CC for free for PC users and be done with this, maybe that way they will not get so much bad reviews, but again... they don't care.

Of course, the fact that me as a former pc modder is in the scene already since 2002 is just something to impress my little son and his friends on cold winter evenings. However, as a result I've seen far enough to state with absolute confidence that only modders from the pc faction are entitled to play a pawn role in Beth's game of conquest. Pure console modders simply do not exist up to now. So the ball is again in our pc court, don't get distracted by market sales or the bullhorns of paid reviewers, not just on YouTube. In a worst case scenario we'd thus raise our own nemesis by still feeding vain modders with positive feedback and traffic that happily intend to backstab all of us for fucking 30 pieces of silver.

How indispensable is a lifted up, often hopelessly arrogant modder that thinks of themselves as 'evidentially' superior once we understand modding as that what it actually is - a living organ made of a whole line of people that keeps the body of the mod coms alive? Fucking dispensable. The com simply didn't collapse just b/c I retired due to a lack of time. Modding is an evolutionary process and the individual modder plays just a minor part in it. I had thus no problems with the final removal of Elianora and her stuff from my mod equation after her first Beth stooge quack in late 2015. There's always other fish in the pool that provide me with the things I love most. All the power and credits to them.

Well, the heyday of piracy is actually over in the scene since large hosting sites got that certain Victorian attitude to handle it with the gallows. However, today we live in the age of leaking. You'd get the probably restricted CK of the next Beth game from within the CC when the time comes. How mod hosts would react to mods that require a CK is still questionable tho', maybe they have cancelled the then dwindling traffic of Beth mods already, most likely affordable due to a massive diversification of their game palette that is ongoing for almost ten years. These sites ain't free anymore since then but commercialized and thus hopelessly depending on the sponsors and their agendas. Thus, don't expect their full support of an internal purge, especially not when it sails under black sails...

It's not really open world is it? IIRC it's split up into zones.

Regardless, it's a rather old game and doesn't have any mod support.

The unfortunate fact is that the modding community for Bethesda games was slowly built up over many years since the release of Morrowind, back when Bethesda not only supported modders, but released several official mods (for free) to demonstrate what the community could do.

This was back when the developers were interested in having fun and giving their game longevity rather than the publisher seeing dollar signs everywhere.

So in theory people could move on to other games, in practice it would take a lot of time and effort and support from the developers.

I doubt Larian would do much with Divinity 2 at this point as they're concentrating on their Original Sin series, which looks good but aren't exactly open-world.

The only developers I've seen even try to go ahead with modding support is CDPR, however until they make a game that actually allows for role playing their mod community will remain tepid at best. So we're stuck with Bethesda, and Bethesda know it. That's why they can abuse the modding community the way they are.

Well, when I learn more how to do things I will be looking for other games that can be worked on. Honestly, anything to do with Beth/Zen right now kind of makes me sick. Also remember that Sky wasn't anywhere near as "good" as now with mods everywhere for it. You make a few quality mods for a decent game and maybe ppl start to take an interest. Specifically if you make quality nudes for a game ppl will take an interest. Skyrim would have already been buried if not for that and the mods here on LL. Think I'm full of shit? Pull your nude mods and everything associated from Sky or Fo4 and see if you still want to play them.

Well, when I learn more how to do things I will be looking for other games that can be worked on. Honestly, anything to do with Beth/Zen right now kind of makes me sick. Also remember that Sky wasn't anywhere near as "good" as now with mods everywhere for it. You make a few quality mods for a decent game and maybe ppl start to take an interest. Specifically if you make quality nudes for a game ppl will take an interest. Skyrim would have already been buried if not for that and the mods here on LL.

Perhaps, but I sincerely doubt it'll make much of a difference unless a really strong community forms around a new game.

"Quality nudes" for instance - there are games with far better looking characters and bodies than Skyrim's, yet Skyrim reigns supreme on the sex mod front due to the strong community and moddability. 

What we need is for a big open-world RPG to come out with full mod support from the developers. That is to say, a creation kit equivalent, easily editable models and accessable files. Only then could we see people flocking to it over Skyrim and Fallout.

Not saying you shouldn't try, of course, but what we really need at this point is strong competition so Bethesda stops taking it's own community for granted.

if bishesda does go down the dooshbag path it will be alot easier to just boycott and forget about future titles from them bc... i mean... cmon... fo4... 'nuff said.

No, it won't. Fallout 4 may have issues.. but it's still a solid base to build on.. and frankly I think knowing that and knowing that they have zero competition is what let Todd Howard and Bethesda become so slacky with the game, particularly with it's building mechanics. They absolutely knew modders would eat that up, and they did.

Yeah, they eviscerated the dialogue and many of the RPG mechanics.. but so what? Who cares? Where are you going to go to! It's this or nothing!

So no, people won't boycott as long as they're the only game in town. Even those who say we're content to stick with Oldrim now will eventually give into the allure of the new shiny and all of it's modding possibilities. After all, people said the same about Morrowind and Oblivion too, and while they still tick along with mods now and then it's hardly like it was in their heyday.

So it has to be emphasised yet again that the only way Bethesda will ever be knocked off their avaricious self-gratifying douchebag train is for them to have actual competition that could affect their bottom line. It's the only thing they will ultimately pay attention to.

if bishesda does go down the dooshbag path it will be alot easier to just boycott and forget about future titles from them bc... i mean... cmon... fo4... 'nuff said.

No, it won't. Fallout 4 may have issues.. but it's still a solid base to build on.. and frankly I think knowing that and knowing that they have zero competition is what let Todd Howard and Bethesda become so slacky with the game, particularly with it's building mechanics. They absolutely knew modders would eat that up, and they did.

Yeah, they eviscerated the dialogue and many of the RPG mechanics.. but so what? Who cares? Where are you going to go to! It's this or nothing!

So no, people won't boycott as long as they're the only game in town. Even those who say we're content to stick with Oldrim now will eventually give into the allure of the new shiny and all of it's modding possibilities. After all, people said the same about Morrowind and Oblivion too, and while they still tick along with mods now and then it's hardly like it was in their heyday.

So it has to be emphasised yet again that the only way Bethesda will ever be knocked off their avaricious self-gratifying douchebag train is for them to have actual competition that could affect their bottom line. It's the only thing they will ultimately pay attention to.

i acquiese. u speak tru. :(

Regarding moding different games, FF XV is coming next year to pc and aparently it will have modding support.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/08/22/final-fantasy-xv-pc-mod-support/

At first the director of the game had no problems with nude/sex mods being made for it but recently he changed his mind for no reason, saying if there are too many adult mods it might affect the future of the game...the fk.

Went full retard there, hopefully he will come back to his senses before the game comes to pc, as this is just ridiculous.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/05/square-enix-could-stop-final-fantasy-modding-if-there-are-too-many-adult-mods

Boycott indeed is a harsh word for this.

I cannot see the future, but i can say for myself, i preorder fo4, season pass and all that crap... 1 week before i should get the game, pirates already have it, 2 weeks before i should receive the DLC's, pirates have it, but ok i was supporting a company that i love it, now i don't love the company anymore, i just want they go to hell, ask me if i will preorder any game, hell no, i will buy it? Probably i will, when they show on some steam sale or something, not before.

A good example, mass effect andromeda, everyone love mass effect franchise, and now they manage to kill it... and there is no other game like mass effect.

Regarding moding different games, FF XV is coming next year to pc and aparently it will have modding support.

At first the director of the game had no problems with nude/sex mods being made for it but recently he changed his mind for no reason, saying if there are too many adult mods it might affect the future of the game...the fk.

Went full retard there, hopefully he will come back to his senses before the game comes to pc, as this is just ridiculous.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/05/square-enix-could-stop-final-fantasy-modding-if-there-are-too-many-adult-mods

You just rest easy there dad! We'll take goood care of your sweet little game. :lol: Wow! I don't think that guy has ever even looked at what has been done with Sky and now FO4. So they think they are going to allow a "certain amount" of nudity and sex mods? HAHAHA- that is fucking funny! Your either in or your out with that! Still, it would be fun to mod a FF game. They still need to revamp the combat though. Or did they already?

You just rest easy there dad! We'll take goood care of your sweet little game. :lol: Wow! I don't think that guy has ever even looked at what has been done with Sky and now FO4. So they think they are going to allow a "certain amount" of nudity and sex mods? HAHAHA- that is fucking funny! Your either in or your out with that! Still, it would be fun to mod a FF game. They still need to revamp the combat though. Or did they already?

I know right!

Its especially funny if you consider all the hentai his country is producing.

Idk about the combat since i dont own a console so i havent played the game :P

The good thing about this is, if he is worried about too many sex mods, that implies the modding for FFXV will be far greater then just some reskin possibilities :P

I would not want to play Skyrim without the mods here on LL.. I wouldn't even want to play Oblivion. :P

Neither would I. :P

Properly modded (item and monster diversity and full-assed mechanics) it makes for a decent Dungeon Crawler.

With mods from this site it becomes a kickass H-Game Dungeon Crawler :D

A lot of small devs and even big devs look the sucess of skyrim and are trying to make a competitor to it, and i hope someone succeed.

One game that i am looking forward is this

http://cobaltudk.blogspot.com.br/

All indie devs, but i see a great future on this one, they are using unreal engine, so is mod friendly too.

I showed this in an earlier post and thought no one else paid attention. It looks very promising. It will be interesting to see a finished game as it definitely has LL written all over it!! :D  

Let me remind you Hines is the same dishonest asshole who claimed that modders and players actually owe Bethesda revenue from mods because they provided the base game, ignoring the fact that we already paid for the game and it's dlcs.

Good god, what? When? Those idiots should be on their hands and knees thanking the modders who keep their games fresh for years beyond the shelf life of other games. Very few people would still be playing Oblivion, Skyrim or older Fallout games without the mods that fill in the empty space they leave in their games. I've personally bought every game of theirs back to Morrowind in the last few years.

Not to mention the fact that many of the mods we make for their games seem to end up in the next edition. Fallout New Vegas was just a heavily modded Fallout 3. Fallout 4 has quite a few features that began life as FO3/FNV/Skyrim mods. You're welcome for the free development work, Beth, though some credit to the modders who developed your new features for you would have been nice.

Anyway, can we stop turning this into an Elianora hate thread? She's a giant fangirl who crushes on Bethesda a little more than might be healthy, but otherwise she's a very nice person and doesn't deserve the abuse she's getting here.

A lot of small devs and even big devs look the sucess of skyrim and are trying to make a competitor to it, and i hope someone succeed.

One game that i am looking forward is this

http://cobaltudk.blogspot.com.br/

All indie devs, but i see a great future on this one, they are using unreal engine, so is mod friendly too.

I showed this in an earlier post and thought no one else paid attention. It looks very promising. It will be interesting to see a finished game as it definitely has LL written all over it!! :D  

Indeed i see your post :)

I see this game about 1 or 2 months ago in a video that shows a lot of indie games, when i see this one, i love it, not only because the boobs bouncing, but because of the lore they are creating too, Erik Von Daniken should take over this game hahahahahaha.

But the good part, because is a indie game and using a open engine, will be very easy to mod anything, easier them CK, can't wait to see they opening the game on steam or patreon or whatever.

Guys its pretty simple to understand the new direction of Bethesda.

Its too expensive for them to crank out good RPGs anymore, they need to get in on the microtransaction action. They are a business afterall.

They count on mods to finish their half-assed productions and they develop their games with little regard to modders have to deal with.

They are not the old Bethesda anymore. This is a new system, as we go forward further and further the modding capabilities will be more and more reduced.

Each update breaks things and makes things harder and discouraging. The creation club is farce but it shows what they want to do.

Did they not remove Oldrim from steam to sell their garbage Special Edition? The edition that can even run SKSE and as result most of the big mods?

What was the logic in that decision? Think about it.

Whats more just compare the pricing of games like Witcher 3 to Fallout 4? Who is over pricing their game? Which one is delivering more content for your buck? That tells you about the company you are dealing with no matter how much you love their game.

The only future Loverslab and modding communities have is using one of the free engines like Unity or Unreal to create game that all modders could pitchin and build it as we go. We certainly have enough talent on this site to make that happen.

Counting on Bethesda will get us no where.

Archived